3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OK with any of the potential re-schedule options.
Whatever gets us the biggest turnout is cool with me ๐Ÿ‘

The last maintenance update/downtime was way off schedule in my area, and over really fast, but I do agree it would a be qenuine risk to schedule the event for that time, and I really, really, really want to race these cars!!!!
PSN :rolleyes:

Good thing you noticed so quick, Tim. ๐Ÿ‘

EDIT: All the testing you guys are doing, and publishing of tunes...WOW! :cheers:

Nice call Tim. ๐Ÿ‘

I really like testing these cars, so it's all good that we are posting tunes.
Realistically, I'd like all the drivers in a good setup (any good setup :)) to basically keep the field balanced.
I really wish that all of the races could be run like the Mountaineering event - no real need for tuning, just drive ๐Ÿ‘

Tim and I met in his lounge tonight, and it resulted in a lot of him waiting up for me :dunce: (Audi vs Audi, his tune on both).

I was actually having fun ๐Ÿ‘, but it became clear that I won't win this one.
Glad I "wasted my time" and got in a good La Sarthe time instead. :sly:

Hopefully we can pick a day that all of us can make, because it'll be really fun, so different from last week, and I'll probably struggle just trying to break that elusive 2'00 lap...๐Ÿ’ก

Tim and I met in his lounge tonight, and it resulted in a lot of him waiting up for me :dunce: (Audi vs Audi, his tune on both).

I was actually having fun ๐Ÿ‘, but it became clear that I won't win this one.
Glad I "wasted my time" and got in a good La Sarthe time instead. :sly:

Hopefully we can pick a day that all of us can make, because it'll be really fun, so different from last week, and I'll probably struggle just trying to break that elusive 2'00 lap...๐Ÿ’ก

I'm in the same boat so to speak, I managed to break the 2'00 min. lap mark only a couple of times. Was running steady 2'00.xxx laps until the tires start to go off. This is a tough track to run consistent times, so easy to make just a little mistake and add 1'00 sec. + to the lap.

I've changed my mind about the one pit stop strategy. It can be done with the Opel, but after 9 laps the times go down significantly, and the lose of grip increases the risk of going off track. That would defeat the advantage of one less stop real fast.

Gravitron, maybe we can stick together behind the fast guys and draft each other down the front straight.:)

25 laps on this track can test ones concentration level. I just hope I can keep it on track for the duration of the race.:scared:

Looking forward to race day.๐Ÿ‘

I'm in the same boat so to speak, I managed to break the 2'00 min. lap mark only a couple of times. Was running steady 2'00.xxx laps until the tires start to go off. This is a tough track to run consistent times, so easy to make just a little mistake and add 1'00 sec. + to the lap.

I've changed my mind about the one pit stop strategy. It can be done with the Opel, but after 9 laps the times go down significantly, and the lose of grip increases the risk of going off track. That would defeat the advantage of one less stop real fast.

Gravitron, maybe we can stick together behind the fast guys and draft each other down the front straight.:)

25 laps on this track can test ones concentration level. I just hope I can keep it on track for the duration of the race.:scared:

Looking forward to race day.๐Ÿ‘

:lol:

Ha! Don't let Tim scare you! :D

This is going to be a challenging race, so keeping it all together and running solid laps is really the key.

Or just run him off at Dunlop, that will slow him down ;)

1 stop strategy would be borderline imposssible IMO, tires wear out too fast, and this track needs good tires.
With this track, I'd rather be concerned with driving than strategy, so I'll probably be pitting on 8/16. Safe is definitely the way to go ๐Ÿ‘

Hey guys, Tuesday is fine for me! I've got Wardez's Z06 series to think about today but I'll hopefully get some time to join you guys for some practice before the race!

Beefalicious
Hey guys, Tuesday is fine for me! I've got Wardez's Z06 series to think about today but I'll hopefully get some time to join you guys for some practice before the race!

Let's officially move to Tuesday night. Sounds like everyone can make it who had responded... Only lefty not checked in yet and hopefully he's good. Hydro can you change event post and I'll change OP.

Note: I'll be practicing in lounge from 11 am to 1 pm PST today.

Last edited:
Last edited:
...I'll be practicing in lounge from 11 am to 1 pm PST today.

Good practice with MillesRSVR, SCBuilder and myself. We did a short race and the draft will definitely level the playing field. If you can stay within 1 second of the guy in front of you going into the front straight you can make up most if not all of that gap. Any closer and you can pass before the braking zone to turn 1.

Going to be an epic race if we can all keep the cars on the track for 25 laps :drool:

EDIT: Posted the next 3D3 event (#3) in the OP schedule. We'll be running Gettin' Groceries Online just a few days after the close of the Gettin' Groceries WRS offline time trial. Should mean even less practice required and car will be from recommended garage so no tuning allowed or required ๐Ÿ‘ A full event post and sign ups will begin immediately following this event on Wednesday, Sept 21.

Last edited:
Tuesday works 4 me :), Thankz Hydro for the Beamer tune, I'll swing a leg over that shortley and report back ๐Ÿ‘

Tuesday works 4 me :), Thankz Hydro for the Beamer tune, I'll swing a leg over that shortley and report back ๐Ÿ‘

Anytime ๐Ÿ‘
Great to see Tuesday works for you as well this week.

See you on the track :D

Hey guys, I'll try to make it for the race tomorrow. I didn't run this event in the WRS so I was hoping to get some time to practice a little before Wednesday, but now I noticed it's tomorrow. So hopefully I'll get some more time tonight. I picked up Yanaran's setup from that week and ran the DTC online races to get a feel for the BMW and it's quite nice. I've also picked up Tim's and Marc's replays and will try to run them tonight if possible. Don't write me down for tomorrow, but I'll try to make it.

Oh yea and Marc, your post with the pictures was hilarious :lol: I haven't had a chance to look at the race recap video Tim posted up, but I found myself watching the replay last night and it was really great racing between everyone :)

Hey guys, I'll try to make it for the race tomorrow. I didn't run this event in the WRS so I was hoping to get some time to practice a little before Wednesday, but now I noticed it's tomorrow. So hopefully I'll get some more time tonight. I picked up Yanaran's setup from that week and ran the DTC online races to get a feel for the BMW and it's quite nice. I've also picked up Tim's and Marc's replays and will try to run them tonight if possible. Don't write me down for tomorrow, but I'll try to make it.

Oh yea and Marc, your post with the pictures was hilarious :lol: I haven't had a chance to look at the race recap video Tim posted up, but I found myself watching the replay last night and it was really great racing between everyone :)

Sweet... we'd love to have you join the race ๐Ÿ‘ Jump on in if you can and don't worry about sign-ups as we won't have a full grid anyway.

My Audi setup is pretty easy to handle.. Hydro's may be more performance oriented... I have a higher ride height in the back for more rear grip in Dunlop, but probably not as much top end speed as Hydro's. Also Hydro's gearing has very well tuned specific gearing for GP/F where I just copied CSL's gearing where top speed is specific for GP/F, but no adjustments to individual gears for specific corners.

Since you have little time to practice, I would say start with Marc's and switch to mine only if you feel his is too twitchy. I have enough practice laps on mine now that's it not worth me switching... otherwise I might.

On the video replay of the first event... I probably could have shot 30 minutes of you and Lefty battling and swapping paint, but I had a 15 minute limit on my youtube account. :lol: Should probably release an "editors cut" later with the full glory of that battle on display :sly:

I was almost able to reach my off line time w/ the Beamer so it's team BMW for me, thanks again Hydro :), good luk tomorrow ๐Ÿ‘

Awesome. I think Blair was practicing with the Opel so we'll have at least one rep from each of the manufacturers.

As far as I know, but subject to change:

Team BMW: Hydro, LeftyWright, SCBuilder
Team Audi: WRP001, Gravitron
Team Opel: MilleRSVR​

Not sure what GTP_Wafflepants or GTP_T13R (if he joins) are driving. Nobody has to declare until qualifying. You can't switch cars after quali starts or you'll lose your quali lap and have to start over.

Question: Are you allowed to change settings on the car during quali (say just before the race)? Or does this reset your best lap? (I'm not planning on doing this, just asking.)

Last edited:
Awesome. I think Blair was practicing with the Opel so we'll have at least one rep from each of the manufacturers.

As far as I know, but subject to change:

Team BMW: Hydro, LeftyWright, SCBuilder
Team Audi: WRP001, Gravitron
Team Opel: MilleRSVR​

Not sure what GTP_Wafflepants or GTP_T13R (if he joins) are driving. Nobody has to declare until qualifying. You can't switch cars after quali starts or you'll lose your quali lap and have to start over.

Question: Are you allowed to change settings on the car during quali (say just before the race)? Or does this reset your best lap? (I'm not planning on doing this, just asking.)
If you exit the race section to the menu it resets you're qualifying laps, yes.

I plan to try this out, just don't know if I can make tomorrow or not guys.
I've always wanted to race a combo after hot lapping to see the improvement.

Thanks. ๐Ÿ‘

Join whenever you can. Send me a friend request on PSN and you are welcome to hop on last minute if the grid isn't full (it definitely won't be next week). I'm using one of your tunes (slightly modified for online) this week so thanks for that too.

Next week we're going to run the Getting Groceries combo right after WRS so it should be a good way to put all those WRS laps to the test right away. We didn't opt to run the La Sarthe this week event as that was just too crazy fast for racing (for our skills anyway).

EDIT: @CSLACR: Sent a PSN friend request to you (GTP_CSL).

Last edited:
Next week we're going to run the Getting Groceries combo

hell-yes-america_design.png

So, I'm guessing you are in? :lol:

Thanks for the info Dominic! ๐Ÿ‘
We are all pretty new to online racing, and learning a lot of the finer details as we go :)
(Admittedly, we also didn't think we would need to learn this fast :sly:)

Of course, being in D1 means a weight penalty of 200 Kg/440 Lbs :D
It would be great to see you on the track, I hope you can make it!

Marc

Nope, 10pm EDT. The 7pm PST should say PDT. Can't wait to glom on to some of your draft, Dom. :lol:

I just knocked out a 25 laper w/ no spin outs or suprises in the Beamer and it took 51+min, man do I have to get a more comfortable chair, wow :)

That's 8PM current Pacific time, yes? (meaning 11PM EDT)
Oh, and it's not 2001, hasn't been for a while. ;)

Fixed the year... :dunce: I wish it was 2001 though... wouldn't mind being 10 years younger again.

We move all our events one hour earlier to 7:00 PM PST / 10:00 PM EST so east coast drivers could take part and still be done by 11:30 PM.

Fixed the year... :dunce: I wish it was 2001 though... wouldn't mind being 10 years younger again.

We move all our events one hour earlier to 7:00 PM PST / 10:00 PM EST so east coast drivers could take part and still be done by 11:30 PM.
That's PDT and EDT.
D for daylight savings time. ๐Ÿ‘

Nope, 10pm EDT. The 7pm PST should say PDT. Can't wait to glom on to some of your draft, Dom.
10PM I should be able to make, haven't checked how you guys are doing qualifying or anything yet, but I guess I'll probably take the Audi again.
Do I need to post anything special to register, or just GTP_CSL?

Last edited:
Nope, 10pm EDT. The 7pm PST should say PDT. Can't wait to glom on to some of your draft, Dom. :lol:

Sorry guys, I'm out of season it would seem.
Bad habit of never quoting Daylight Time.

To draft him, you have to be able to see him :lol:

CSLACR
10PM I should be able to make, haven't checked how you guys are doing qualifying or anything yet, but I guess I'll probably take the Audi again.
Do I need to post anything special to register, or just GTP_CSL?

Consider that your registration ๐Ÿ‘
All we look for is the name of the event, and the driver's PSN tag.
I'll leave you on for now, just to coax you a bit ;)

Tim and I ran a bit online tonight, and we were getting low 1'57's on light fuel, warm tires.
I was in the BMW, Tim the Audi. Tim got the best lap with 1'57.027.

Cool! Hope to see you in the race ๐Ÿ‘
I started to watch the replay right after the Mountaineering event, figuring I'd watch the start, and see the rest later.
I wound up watching the entire thing, the race was that much fun. And then again the next day for the pics. Strangely addicitve :odd:

Last edited:
I've taken some time tonight to run some laps and figure out a setup I was comfortable and consistent enough with the pad. I plateau'd after about an hour, but at least I should have some consistency. Crossing my fingers I can make the event as I'll be out of town for most of the day due to last minute decisions!

I've taken some time tonight to run some laps and figure out a setup I was comfortable and consistent enough with the pad. I plateau'd after about an hour, but at least I should have some consistency. Crossing my fingers I can make the event as I'll be out of town for most of the day due to last minute decisions!

Cool. We won't start the actual race until just after 10:30 Eastern (10:00-10:30 is qualification) so if I see you logged into PSN by 10:30 I'll wait for you to enter the lounge & track before starting the official race.

...haven't checked how you guys are doing qualifying or anything yet...

A 30 minute qualification session before we start the race... obviously fastest first. I should have the lounge open quite early in case people want to come in and practice, but I'm going to reset the room (change tracks back and forth) right at 7:00/10:00 PM to start official qualifications. Note: I'll have the lounge open, but I probably won't be at my PS3 until right about 7:00 so won't be able to respond to any text or chat.

@All... Mics *will* be enabled for the lounge so feel free to use them for practice/quali. During race we'll limit use as much as possible, as this track takes some serious concentration!!!

Last edited:
Cool. We won't start the actual race until just after 10:30 Eastern (10:00-10:30 is qualification) so if I see you logged into PSN by 10:30 I'll wait for you to enter the lounge & track before starting the official race.

A 30 minute qualification session before we start the race... obviously fastest first. I should have the lounge open quite early in case people want to come in and practice, but I'm going to reset the room (change tracks back and forth) right at 7:00/10:00 PM to start official qualifications. Note: I'll have the lounge open, but I probably won't be at my PS3 until right about 7:00 so won't be able to respond to any text or chat.

@All... Mics *will* be enabled for the lounge so feel free to use them for practice/quali. During race we'll limit use as much as possible, as this track takes some serious concentration!!!
You could just turn them off (in the settings) right before the race and save a bit of bandwidth.๐Ÿ‘

You could just turn them off (in the settings) right before the race and save a bit of bandwidth.๐Ÿ‘

We left them on for the last race so that myself and Tim could provide a bit of commentary/marshall info, but mostly during the Warm up session.
The connection was solid, so It doesn't seem that bandwith is a problem for now, however, if during the qualification session the connection starts to lag, we will have to turn them off.
We don't really talk much during the race though, too busy driving ;)

A question though:
If Tim were to leave the warmup session to turn off the mics, does he lose his spot (qualification)?
I'm guessing it is yes, he will lose his quali time, which would mean mics would have to be turned off with about 10 minutes or so left in the practice session in order for him to get a few laps in, should we go the silent route.

Last edited:
We left them on for the last race so that myself and Tim could provide a bit of commentary/marshall info, but mostly during the Warm up session.
The connection was solid, so It doesn't seem that bandwith is a problem for now, however, if during the qualification session the connection starts to lag, we will have to turn them off.
We don't really talk much during the race though, too busy driving ;)

A question though:
If Tim were to leave the warmup session to turn off the mics, does he lose his spot (qualification)?
I'm guessing it is yes, he will lose his quali time, which would mean mics would have to be turned off with about 10 minutes or so left in the practice session in order for him to get a few laps in, should we go the silent route.

Yah, if I have to leave the lounge to change the setting I'm not too fond of that as someone else will become "host" and I'm the one with the tested NAT 1 connection... could be bad... plus put more pressure on me... "<10 minutes to quali including cold tires and full fuel tank" ๐Ÿ‘Ž :lol:

I say as long as we have ~8 drivers on the grid I vote we just leave the mic setting on, but have everyone mute them or turn them off when I start the countdown to the race except the 3D3 stewards... at least until it causes a problem (which it didn't last week). It's nice for a steward to be able to communicate if there is an issue mid race and impossible to do it with the keyboard and still drive... like someone off track in chicane... local yellow or something like that. Or better yet "Gravitron, slow down and let me pass... Audi team orders!" :dopey:

Everyone should know also... you can mute mics of other/all drivers so if you want it silent just go through driver list before the race and mute everyone on the driver list... you can do this driver by driver in the lounge screen. I'm not sure if this reduces bandwidth for that individual by not transmitting the voice data or if the software transfers the data anyway and just ignores it.

One other option is to set voice quality to low... but again, it worked last week with standard so let's just leave it until we have an issue.

EDIT: I've reorganized the OP slightly so the current event is always highlighted on top and historical events listed later. This way it'll be easy to always know what we're running and the schedule for the next race. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back