4WD vs. FR vs. FF vs. MR vs. RR

What type of drivetrain do you like the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Danville/VA/US
japan_gator
As I got the general idea from the NA vs. Turbo vs. supercharged, I was thinking about making a thread that had to do of what drivetrains do you prefer, I would personally choose MR because it's cool to have an engine right behind your driver seat so you can listen to more of the engine noise while you're driving

FF, easier for mere mortals to drive near the limit and despite common misconceptions, just as fast. If you don't believe me see the BTCC.

By the way, it should be "Which type of...." not "What"!

What does this have to do with GT5p?

I'm tired of talking about the update and all I see now are threads that have to do with the update so I think I would change things up a little, and this would help people see what people would drive most online

Last edited:
I prefer FR. That gives you a real "fight" with overpowered cars.
The second is MR. The engine is right behind you, and it can be dangerous. Like the Lotus 111r Tuned.

FF, easier for mere mortals to drive near the limit and despite common misconceptions, just as fast. If you don't believe me see the BTCC.

Citation required

I don't remember ever seeing an FF formula 1 car. :sly:

Seriously tho, there comes a point, as you increase the power of an engine, where front wheel drive will not keep it on the road. It's not so much the straightline speed that's the issue but, due to the increase in engine weight and straightforward torque steering becomes impossible. If you don't believe me have a look around for a 400bhp+ FF supercar.

haha. fail. Give me a FR and a FF car with the same dementions and guess what will be faster in EVERY FORM of racing but backwards drag racing.

Last edited:
FR as it offers the best compromise. I can see where MR is technically better but there just far to twitchy for my taste.

FR ,Vipers,Vettes,XKR's,AMG, big horsepower just like pure muscle was meant to be.
MR & RR, very close second,love the twitchiness, it makes you a driver.
AWD & FF , good cars, they can be fast, but a little to easy to drive

just my opinions

FR, 1) power over steer, 2) drifting (different things), 3) most of my favourite cars are FR, S2000, Viper/T etc.

FR for me, i think someone said FF is just as fast as FR. It's impossible. you have so much less traction in the front wheels of an FF because you got braking/cornering/accelerating forces all going to the same wheels. you have to sacrifice one for the other, which is not the case in FR. don't get me wrong, there are FF's that will hang with FR's, but if you look at hot lap times for FF vs FR, you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
If you absolutely forced me to choose between my two favorites, MR and RR, than I would go with RR because they are even more challenging and thus even more rewarding to drive correctly.

MR... offers the most advantages over any other engine/drivetrain layout not including 4WD.

4WD's are cool but I'm just not into it when it comes to ultimate performance. They're also, sort of sterile... you don't get that raw feeling of... well, as the great Jeremy Clarkson put it, 'that sense of terror that's like 'OH MY GOD!!!''

Last edited:
MR... offers the most advantages over any other engine/drivetrain layout not including 4WD.

4WD's are cool but I'm just not into it when it comes to ultimate performance. They're also, sort of sterile... you don't get that raw feeling of... well, as the great Jeremy Clarkson put it, 'that sense of terror that's like 'OH MY GOD!!!''

You always get that sense in every MR and I like it

Back