7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

Hello all, I'm not sure if I told you this but I recently lost F1 2010. I've now found it and learned to drive without traction on(in the dry anyways:nervous:) and was wondering if I could join in tomorrow night?

Hello all, I'm not sure if I told you this but I recently lost F1 2010. I've now found it and learned to drive without traction on(in the dry anyways:nervous:) and was wondering if I could join in tomorrow night?

Sure Akmuq, i've sent you a PM.

Im an honest guy so I'd like to say to Shaggy Im sure I came 8th in Silverstone and kcheeb was 7th.

Still thanks for the well done though I was pleased with my result after my puncture which dropped me so far behind everyone. :)

Oops, fixed now.

Last edited:
Motorsport News Magazine
formel-1-start-15491.JPG

Headline: DarkPSI wants to win his home race at Hockenheim

This morning Pipi Hammer had the chance to interview the 2nd in world championship ranking about his feelings to drive his home race.

Pipi Hammer:
Hey DarkPSI this is your home race. What are your plans for this sunday.

DarkPSI:
Hockenheim is very special. I want to give back something to our fans who are supporting us over the whole season. We worked very hard this weekend and I think we are in a good position for this race.

Pipi Hammer:
Does this circuit match your driving style?

DarkPSI:
To be honest I liked the old version of the circuit more, but to answer your question, yes it suits my driving style well.

Pipi Hammer:
There were a lot of critics, especially after the silverstone race, where your race pace wasnt the best and you made some lets say unusual mistakes.

DarkPSI:
Well I was at the baltic sea and couldn't do something for my fitness. Beside this fact Pipeslice and Shaggy Alonso were very motivated cause of their home races

Pipi Hammer:
Some people say that Pipeslice was drunken last race.

DarkPSI: no comment :-)

Pipi Hammer:
You are driving a super season, but in fact except of valencia you couldn't win a race. Whats the reason?

DarkPSI:
Its very simple. I ever wondered why I was so much slower in qualy compared to the race. In fact it was my setup and we could solve this problem here in hockenheim, hopefully.

Pipi Hammer:
Especially Pipeslice and Shaggy Alonso are said to be faster than you on one flying lap, do you agree?

DarkPSI:
Yeah these guys are really fast and they have the ability to drive the car absolutely on limit. At the moment they are faster on one flying lap, but as I said we found something for the rest of the season. Hopefully our new setups will work. I dont know if the improvement will be enough here in hockenheim but we should improve step by step. I want to win this championship!! :-)

Pipi Hammer:
Thank you for the interview and wish you the best for your home race.

DarkPSI:
Thank you Pipi and dont be so harsh next time. ;-)

Last edited:
Great post darkpsi really enjoyed reading it.

Yeah was my bad for the Silverstone race been half cut, I think it could have been closer between me a shaggy otherwise,going by our times in tt we are very close .especially that new time he set.

Anyway see you all tonight.

Sorry folks, i had to leave unexpectedly couple of laps in, something came up

Quali was atrocious from my point of view, so far off the pace it was unbelievable. Was going pretty quick on my final flyer but i caught a bit of the gravel and spun :/ Guess the quick set ups and zero practice didnt help but did not expect to be that far off

Race, i got a great start, moved up 6 places to move upto P5 but it was shortlived as the the guy driving Hispania was a bit naughty , he was basically hammering me all over the shop side on leading upto turn 3, I had to back off considerably to avoid a massive collision and as i did the Lotus joined into hammer me next. Unsportsmanlike driving

Lost three places and that was that

Last edited:
Well guys, highly intense race. Drove a good race I felt without any mistakes at all - probably the only race so far where I haven't made any. DarkPSI was just amazing in qualifying, dunno where he found this pace from. Looks like we're going to have to raise our game to beat him - he beat Pipeslice fair and square tonight - no easy feat - despite being about 10 secs behind after lap one.

Looking forward to writing my race report 👍

Ok sorry I couldn't talk at the end of the race but I I just couldn't get my mic working,probably was down to my bloody dog as shaggy pointed out from Istanbul race.

Anyway qualifying was ok not my best times but ok managed 1:40.5. In practice I was doing 1:40.0 and 140.1 same as darkpsi said he was doing,just couldn't pull them out in qually.

Race

Got a good start to first place with shaggy very close behind me.i think he was initially faster than me as for the first couple of laps I just couldn't get it together but finally I did as was able to maintain a gap to him for 6-7 laps but then on the entry onto the straight buemi just appeared right infront of me so I slammed on the brakes to avoid and shaggy overtook me,maybe a internet lag issue caused this.anyway from then on I just lost it was making far to many mistakes missing braking zones and small oversteer moments hence shaggy was able to pull out a huge lead over me .i pitted for primes I don't know why but the pit man held me int the pit for 4 secs hence why shaggy you gained that much time on me . things just got worse ended up in the gravel several times and this meant darkpsi was now right behind me.i thenmade another mistake and darkpsi got past me.i managed to stay with dark for quite a few laps before making another mistake going into the gravel again.its true what shaggy said consistency will win,and that is very true,I might be fast but when it comes to a whole race I really need to have a word with myself about consistency because at the moment I don't stand a chance with the amount of mistakes I'm making.Anyway congrats to shaggy for the win.

I managed to be in the vicinity of all the first lap chaos but survive it unscathed. Unfortunately I had a disconnect happen after the pit stop cycle as I was getting into a rhythm.

Ah well, looking forward to the next event regardless.

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my result today, qualified 8th, finished 6th. Drove a fairly consistent race, a few mistakes but nothing too big.

I've been having trouble staying out of trouble on the opening lap and was determined not to get caught up or cause any incidents. Made it through turn one without issue and made the run down to two. I saw there was some jostling going one and decided to stay wide. Got hit from behind and pushed well up past turn two, I circled around to the right and magically was able to miss all the mayhem. Looked up and I was in 4th, well outside my comfort zone, lol.

As expected the faster guys I passed didn't have too much trouble getting past me and I settled into 7th behind PJ. We battled back and forth for a few laps, but he was definitely faster than me. Trouble was he kept making mistakes and letting me back in the game. More on this later.

My apologies to dark and pipe for briefly holding them up in the stadium, I drove it poorly anticipating you catching me there and was not sure where to let you by. I was planning on giving way on the straight, but given my poor run through the stadium you caught me much faster than I was ready for. Fortunately there was no damage done.

Back to the PJ battle. I'd pretty much lost touch with him, when I came across him in trouble in the hairpin on the 32nd lap. I made it past him and was able to hold him off until the hairpin on our last lap. I expected a run up the inside under braking and moved into a defensive position on the inside line. I braked fairly well but turned in a little too soon and caught the kerb and it spun me. Just as I was recovering from the slide, PJ bumped me and made the my situation worse. Got my poop in a pile and finished 6th :)

All in all a good race, congrats to Shaggy on another stellar run!

EDIT: After seeing the qualifying times, once again, I was looking forward to a full one battle with Ali and Tom. Interested in hearing about their races!

Last edited:
My feelings after the race described in a picture:

senna_legend.jpg

Qualifying:
I knew that I would be fast, because my engineer and I were sorting out some things last week. After the first run I was on third behind pipeslice and shaggy, but I knew that I can drive low 1.14s so I was happy to see their times. So I decided to make three stints, usually I only plan 2, because I knew that Pole Position is possible here.
In my second stint I got a very good laptime with 1:14:3xxx. It was the fastest time so far in this qualifying. I remember the deafening cheers in motodrom in my outlap. The support of our fans was great.
I knew that the game wasnt over due to the fact that pipeslice and shaggy were not so far away from my time and the track becomes faster and faster at the end.
So I started my third stint targeting a 1.14. 0xxx. I had a stunning first sector but than in sector 2 after a little oversteer moment i had to break up the round. It was to late to start a new round.
I saw that pipeslice made some great sector times and I was afraid to loose the Pole Position but he must lost it in third sector somethere.
And so I made my second Pole Position this year. It was a good feeling to know that I can compete on one flying lap with Shaggy and Pipeslice. Big thanks go to my team and especially engineer, our new setup style works fine as I already told Pipi Hammer in my prerace Interview. :-)

Race:
I was really looking forward for the race after that qualifying. I knew that pipeslice was on the inner line and unfortunately this game doesn't really simulate dusty and clean racelines (HELLO CODEMASTER PLEASE FIX THIS).
I had a bad start and pipeslice was just beside me before the Nordkurve (Turn 1). I speculated that he would break but immediatly realised he wouldnt (which was absolutely ok because he had the inner line) so I must open the steering a little bit which felt like steering in the other direction in this fast turn. So I opened to much and Shaggy could past me too. Hmm ok i thought no problem cause the race is long and one second behind the leader before turn 2 is ok. And than it happened...
I was braking for Parabolica (Turn2) quiet late from my point of view and pj-gm was far away when I looked in my mirror before, and suddenly bummmm.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yZOlC9ajQ)

I turned completely and the field flew past me. With scare i had to realise that I lost 10 seconds to pipeslice. Just after I was back on straight I had to avoid a crash with someone and go on gras, which lead to a 10 seconds penalty cause overtaking under yellow (stupid game). Than i rushed through the field with a little mix of too keen to do well. So what I remember i have to say thank you to all the fair racers who let the too keen to do well german home racer flying past, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yZOlC9ajQ 2:20min) here I was really breaking late and great how kcheeb opened the door when he realized (great racing from kcheeb).
But I had to realise that it wasnt that easy to catch the 2 leaders and so I made some small mistakes (little oversteer moments). I had some little issues with some backmarkers, but overall absolutely fair racing. After half of the race pipeslice lost some time, I think he wasnt so comfortable on primes. I realised and tried to catch him. I succeeded and had 7 or 8 rounds of awesome racing with pipeslice. Than he made a mistake I think in entry of motodrom. Now i was second. Pipeslice could go with me for about 4 or 5 rounds and than he made another little mistake. So I was safe and a mix of sadness and happiness with my 2nd place after all.
Congrats to Shaggy Alonso who made an awesome job without any mistakes. I'm happy to know that our car goes better now and next circuit is very technical (Hungary). I also know that now its time to win if I want to have a chance for getting the championship. The main problem was and is that I couldn't apply pressure to shaggy, its important to get a chance to beat him in races. He is so unbelievable fast and when he can drive free there is no chance to catch him.

Best regards

DarkPSI

Last edited:
Started 6th yet again, finished 5th.

In qualifying, had trouble setting a time, and got pretty excited when it was raining at first. The rain dyed down, and on my second run with 5 minutes to go, I did a 1:18, wasn't satisfied with the 8th place, so did a 2nd run on a decent lap, a 1:16, which put me in 6th again, equaling my place from last race.

At the start of the race, I got my way up to 4th by turn 1, but was a bit behind the top 3. Tried ot brake a bit late to close up, but accidentally spun polesitter Dark, in his home race. Sorry man. That meant I was 3rd, but a fair way behind the top 2. Quite a few mistakes meant that that 3rd quickly turned into a 4th, and then a 5th, as Internet_User passed me at the hairpin. Nevertheless, I set out to try to beat him, and planned m strategy to pit a lap later on the options to try and beat the ptistop delta time. It almost worked, pressed the limiter right on time, but i hit my front jacker, which cost me quite a bit of time. He came out just ahead of me ,but more mistakes meant I couldn't gain any ground on him. Almost lost 5th place with a few laps to go, and then had a nice scrap with kcheeb, which ended with a mistake by him.

Thats not how it works, the HRT will have less downforce than a Red Bull, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has a worse aerodynamic effeciencey. Codemasters are supposed to research this properly, but clearly they haven't - the HRT actually showed quite well in the speed traps in 2010, and without the blue flags it was sometimes quite difficult for the top cars to pass them on the straights. Its just when they got to a bend it was game over for the HRTs as not only can they not carry anywhere near the same speed but they also suffer on corner exits and general high speed stability.

For example:
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/827/6719/speed_trap.html
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/827/6720/speed_trap.html
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/830/6737/speed_trap.html
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/830/6738/speed_trap.html

Despite producing more downforce than HRT, the Williams were clearly the slowest in a straight line. Whether this was due to poor aero effeciencey or simply that Williams were running far more wing we don't know. But over the season, the HRT was pretty good in a straight line except at Monza and Canada due to running the same aerodynamic package the entire season when others were bringing unique packages for those races.

Anyway, the point is, the straight-line speed of all the cars in F1 2010 should be fairly equal. But Codemasters seem to have taken a shortcut in making the performance more "realistic" in terms of overall laptime by simply giving different straight-line speeds...rather than focusing on their relative handling and downforce.

This is why its quite easy to run at the front in a backmarker car in F1 2010 because they appear to have far more handling performance than they really should and this is only balanced by a poor straight-line speed. So as long as you nail the corners with a decent setup, you can get very high up the grid in the slowest cars.

Isn't lack of aerodynamic efficiency the thing that separates everyoen ot begin with. I mean, HRT have less downforce than Red Bull by a mile. If HRT turned their wing angles up a ton and put on a bunch of winglets just to up its downforce to equal the Red Bull, it'll be creating far more drag, and be slower in a straight line.

Codemaster's method isn't the first time anyone has used that method. Studio Liverpool had used that method for every F1 game they've made, and I bet you that the guys who did the Grand Prix games and the F1 Challenge games did that too. To actually research to see how every car handles, the amount of research they would have to do is astronomical and would be very expensive and not worth it. It's the easiest way to simulate the speed differences between the back and front. They could try to make the backamrker cars a lot harder to drive as they are, but they have to satisfy the casual gamers who aren't in for a simulation game, and why make it harder at the start, then easier as you go on?

1. No, as I explained in that post, aerodynamic effeciencey is not always the seperation factor. You can have an effecient design that produces more downforce in certain configurations and not in others. This is why teams can be better at some tracks and not others. The easiest example of this is Force India in 2009 - easily the slowest (in laptime) car all year but in a straight line (top speed) they were near the top at all tracks. This was only useful when they finally got to Spa and Monza.
Its not so simple as turning the wing up and putting more aggressive wing designs on to gain back the downforce and lose the effeciencey. For one you wouldn't want to lose effeciencey just for downforce necessarily and for two this can vastly upset the balance of the car because it wasn't designed like that.
Not to mention Hispania never updated their car, so whatever aero efffeciencey they started with, they always had because they never added wing/drag to the car.

2. Looking up Formula1.com costs money? Astronomical amounts of money? Don't be silly, all games companies spend money on research, for example to accurately design the cars and tracks. This is something that only requires a little reading on the internet by one of the designers...hardly a huge cost.

3. The driving aids and variable difficulty levels are there to make the game easier for casual gamers. Again, this is something Codemasters can easily manage if the game is designed properly. Just make the "realistic" HRT handling only effect Hard difficulty or whatever.

I think we should continue this in a seperate thread if you wish to.

Last edited:
Race Report

Well rather a disappointing race for the 3rd time in a row. Qualified 8th I think, had a great start was up into fourth or fith after the 1st two corners then got into a whole heap of trouble and got myself into more or less every incident on the next lap until I was in last place. I apologise if I caused any of it.

Managed to get into a bit of a rhythm and catch back up with Tom but everytime I got close I'd make a mistake. Nevertheless me and Tom did have some little battles which was fun. The best part was on the tight hairpin when I was in Toms slipstream going in and then cut to the inside and just squeezed in, I think it was a great bit of driving by both of us not to make any contact there so well done to Tom too 👍

That was the highlight of my race really, disappointing but nevertheless great fun I love Hockenheim.

Btw lads I can't make the next race as Im going to Italy on saturday for a week but I'll be back for the next one 👍

Managed to get into a bit of a rhythm and catch back up with Tom but everytime I got close I'd make a mistake.

This is a pattern I'd love to break. You work hard to get into that position and then piss it away with something stupid.

Btw lads I can't make the next race as Im going to Italy on saturday for a week but I'll be back for the next one 👍

There's a better than zero chance I'll be missing this Sunday too. Depends on how well my brother golfs. I'll know Saturday afternoon, will advise then.

This is a pattern I'd love to break. You work hard to get into that position and then piss it away with something stupid.

There's a better than zero chance I'll be missing this Sunday too. Depends on how well my brother golfs. I'll know Saturday afternoon, will advise then.

This is true. I could be wrong on this, but i've noticed that yourself, Tom, MikeTheHockeyFan and AliT all seem to have roughly similar pace, but it's almost always Mike that comes out on top because he doesn't make mistakes. I used to drive just flat out without care of whether I made a mistake or not, but i'm much better as a driver now that i've reigned in that instinct slightly. Consistency, in both lack of mistakes and lap time is far more important than the odd stellar lap. Qualifying is the only session where you should be throwing caution to the wind.

As for me, i'm still rather inconsistent, though not as painfully inconsistent as I used to be. Still not consistent enough to beat Internet_User in a race, and he's the closest person to me at the moment.

This is true. I could be wrong on this, but i've noticed that yourself, Tom, MikeTheHockeyFan and AliT all seem to have roughly similar pace, but it's almost always Mike that comes out on top because he doesn't make mistakes. I used to drive just flat out without care of whether I made a mistake or not, but i'm much better as a driver now that i've reigned in that instinct slightly. Consistency, in both lack of mistakes and lap time is far more important than the odd stellar lap. Qualifying is the only session where you should be throwing caution to the wind.

This is how I'm trying to approach the races and I think I've made progress.

I'm not sure what it is about catching someone that causes my brain to slip up. For me, I think it's as much a lack of experience as anything else. Once you've been in the situations a few times, it becomes more comfortable. I'm hoping at least :-)

Back