Aircraft of Grand Theft Auto V

• Thread starter Dan
  • 45 comments

Dan

Premium
United States
United States
Hello GTP'ers. This thread has been created for discussing all aircraft in Grand Theft Auto V. Here, you may discuss anything relating to planes and helicopters (and possibly UFOs in the future). As a (now) big fan of flying in the game, I thought it would be appropriate for me to start a thread pertaining to all aircraft.

Ideas for discussion:
. What is your favorite helicopter/plane?
. What do you use the aircraft in GTA V for? (Transporting your friends, getting across the map quickly, stunts, dogfights, etc)
. What do you like/dislike about new/old aircraft as opposed to ones from older GTA games?
. What aircraft would you like to see return to the game in a later update? Moderators, you may delete this bullet if it belongs in the GTA V Wishlist.

Click here to see all aircraft in GTA V. You will need to scroll down a little bit.

Lets get this going!

Last edited:
Hmm let's see...
- Favorite helicopter: CargoBob
- Favorite plane: Mallard
- I use aircraft for messing about, stunting, or in the CargoBob's case, finding out what vehicles I can pick up and throw them around.
- I don't see a problem with the new aircraft
- I would like to see a VTOL-style fighter plane to combat the P-996 LAZER, and the Jet to be put online (the giant 747 Jumbo Jet, known simply as 'Jet' in-game). I would also like to see various lock-on options for the Buzzard and LAZER. Also, fix the camera for helicopters! It's nearly impossible to aim in 3rd-person when the camera won't stay still!

Nice post, @ZDUPH. Fixed the OP.

. Favorite helicopter: Frogger
. Favorite plane: Mallard
. Uses for aircraft: Basically everything in the OP :/
. I like the huge variety of air vehicles now, since there were so few in GTA IV (Never owned/played through older GTA games). I like that the Annihilator has a much deadlier firing speed with its miniguns, but I hate the slower top speed than the Annihilator in GTA IV. I also can't do a 90+ degree nose dive in helicopters anymore, which I really miss. Helicopters are no longer stable, as they are always rocking back and forth due to the wind.
. After watching some RC helicopter videos on youtube just out of curiosity, I would like one in GTA Online for scouting out areas that can't normally be accessed by helicopters. GTA V O'Clock showed a HUD of a possible UFO in one of their recent videos, so hopefully that means we can see a fully-functional UFO in a later update. Another interesting vehicle I would like to see is the Jetpack from GTA:SA.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry for the wall of text. :nervous:

• Favorite Helicopter: Buzzard Attack Chopper
  • Favorite Plane: P-996 Lazer
  • Use of aircrafts: Transportation for missions and bank robberies, getting from one side of the map to the other in a hurry; and overall just flying around and being away from the "free for all" deathmatch that typically goes on in the public servers
  • Likes & Dislikes: What I like most about these two aircrafts is the fact that I can fly around and be able to defend myself. I really like the Cargobob, Frogger and Titan, I'm not able to defend myself in any of them. Also, yes I have been shot at while flying the Titan online
  • Aircrafts I'd like to see return to the game: I'm not entirely familiar with aircrafts were in previous GTA series games, but it would be nice to have the Cargo Plane(Antonov AN-124) available to fly or purchase in story mode and online.

Can the Cargo Plane even fit in one of the hangars at LSIA? It's freaking massive.

A hacker could probably answer our questions by spawning one in singleplayer.

Am I the only one here who likes to do kamikaze attacks in planes? :D

If the Mallard had dual machine guns, I'd join you. ;)

- Favorite helicopter: Buzzard (either regular or attack chopper)
- Favorite plane: Mallard
- Buzzard Attack Chopper is for being an attack chopper (obviously) but I like to use it for quick personal transportation. As for planes, the Mallard is just fun to fly around aimlessly doing stunts :D
- Never really played enough of the previous GTA games to have any valued input on this other than that the planes seem to be fine in this game.
- Purchasable regular Buzzard and Cargobob, let maybe 6 people in the back of the Cargobob (for an 8-seater vehicle) a WWII-style propeller-driven plane with another seat for a gunner (and maybe a bomber variant as well?), another attack helicopter (WITH MISSILES!! ANNIHILATOR IS BAD AND DOES NOT COUNT!!), and a 'lock on to: everyone/no friends/no crew members/no friends or crew members/nobody' option in the quick menu for missiles.

Favorite plane must be the Mallard. I love doing stunts and just messing around in it. a very nimble little plane, lacks machine guns though :P. I also find the Titan charming. It's quite clumsy and slow, perfect for cruising through the map. Also you can land it on skyscrapers.

The most useful chopper IMO must be the Attack Buzzard. When in Online it's a perfect vehicle for hostile conditions. You can blow up your enemies, get away from the heat quickly, get first to crates containing goodies and go bounty hunting. It's useful when you have a bounty on yourself aswell, noone on the ground can catch you, and those who approach with other Buzzards can be easily taken down if you know what you're doing. Ofcourse even then there's not much you can do if someone shows up with a Lazer.

But if someone on the ground and happens to own a Minigun and you're in a Buzzard, you're done for. Especially if @ZDUPH was able to take down a P-996 LAZER with his.

My favorite helicopters would be the Cargobob and the Buzzard. The Cargobob is perfect for transporting vehicles and can be a deadly combination if you have access to a tank and gunmen. The Buzzard is great for getting yourself or others out of a bad situation and isn't something you want to mess with if you have a good pilot and gunmen.

Am I the only one here who likes to do kamikaze attacks in planes? :D

Any time some player decides to go on a rampage with a jet or attack helicopter, I do. Mostly in the Titan, just because I can. I mean, HOW CAN YOU NOT NOTICE A NOISY AND HUGE PLANE COMING DIRECTLY TOWARDS YOU?

Since I am subscribed to several youtube channels that make Battlefield 3 & 4 videos (FrankieonPCin1080P, Smii7y, Cayinator, LargeFarva), I recently saw the new SUAV in BF4. I would love a free RC vehicle DLC (Emphasis on free). This DLC should have atleast one plane, one helicopter, one fast car, and one truck. I think the plane and helicopter would be perfect for reconnaissance in free roam, as well as for dedicated machinima makers. Plus, you can have fun getting some roadkills too. ;)

I just hope that if these RC vehicles are implemented, they have unlimited range, are hard to hit with weapons, can survive a moderate to hard landing, and the plane and helicopter MUST have a first person view.

If you can drive every exclusive DLC car and exclusive DLC weapon online, why can't I pilot my Atomic Blimp? Hmm?

For people that enjoy making epic cinematic videos with their friends, this is the most stable aerial camera platform in the game. I experience little to no turbulence at all while flying in singleplayer.

I can understand that R* doesn't want people to be able to use the blimp if they didn't preorder, but I did preorder and I should be able to use it online.

. What is your favorite helicopter/plane? Probably Buzzard for choppers and Mallard for planes. I like speed.
. What do you use the aircraft in GTA V for? (Transporting your friends, getting across the map quickly, stunts, dogfights, etc) Quick movement across the map, pretty much. And the aerial stunts, which suck.
. What do you like/dislike about new/old aircraft as opposed to ones from older GTA games? Turbulence. MASSIVE turbulence. It makes me miss the smooth flying physics from San Andreas. Personally, I think it should've disappeared completely or at least been massively reduced upon reaching 100% flying skill.
. What aircraft would you like to see return to the game in a later update?

- While I like the Buzzard, I still would prefer to see the Hunter back - that thing was the true behemoth of the sky unchallenged by anything else.
- The Sparrow/Seasparrow was also a fun thing to fly - while the Sparrow has basically been replaced by the Frogger, it should've had a version with the pontoons and machine gun too. :D
- Skimmer. The seaplane, in other words. Was sluggish in earlier games which made flying it pretty annoying at first, but the VCS rendition was pleasantly quick.
- Dodo. For the nostalgia. :D
- AT-400. Jumbo jets are cool too, even though the door is so damn high it requires a platform to actually get inside. :irked:

Oddly enough, after checking the GTA wiki a couple days ago, the Skimmer WAS supposed to be in GTA V. In a screenshot of the first trailer, it can be seen flying above the wind farm.

It seems to me like the tow hook on the Cargobob is more of a magnet than a hook. On most vehicles, there's nothing for it to "hook" onto, so it latches onto the roof, like a large electromagnet.

Also, when dropping a vehicle, the hook is shaped like this: ¿
It doesn't appear to "close" around another hook on the vehicle. So, when dropping a vehicle, it operates like an electromagnet being shut off.

Do I have to be a certain level in GTA Online to find aircraft? I've been playing for a few hours and looking around the airstrips and airports, but the only chopper I've found is the Cargobob, and I haven't even seen a plane I can actually use.

Ok. I change my favorite plane from the Mallard to the Titan. There's something so satisfying about being able to pull off barrel rolls and loop-the-loops with a gigantic military cargo plane.

Do I have to be a certain level in GTA Online to find aircraft? I've been playing for a few hours and looking around the airstrips and airports, but the only chopper I've found is the Cargobob, and I haven't even seen a plane I can actually use.

I'm not sure you have to be a certain level to find specific aircraft anymore. Yes, the Cargobob spawns for every level, mostly at Trevor's airfield (The one in the middle of the desert) and McKenzie airfield (The smallest runway, NorthEast of Trevor's airfield). I believe the game just randomly selects a helicopter and plane to spawn for you when you approach.

One thing I have noticed is the Mallard is much more rare now, with the Velum showing up instead.

I'm not sure you have to be a certain level to find specific aircraft anymore. Yes, the Cargobob spawns for every level, mostly at Trevor's airfield (The one in the middle of the desert) and McKenzie airfield (The smallest runway, NorthEast of Trevor's airfield). I believe the game just randomly selects a helicopter and plane to spawn for you when you approach.
I found the Cargobob at the Los Santos Airport, but every other hangar or helipad I checked was completely empty.

So I did this last night before signing off:

image.jpg

Trust me, it's easier than it looks. Just don't expect to be able to fly much longer once you do this once or twice. For some reason, my rudder got stuck to the right. It started turning right when I got off the other blimp. I tried to correct by steering left, then right just to see if I could stop it from doing that and land safely. Big mistake. That only made it worse. By the time I was over the Vespucci Helipad, my blimp was spinning out of control and it kept speeding up! I jumped out over the intersection near the helipad and highway. As soon as I jumped, the blimp spun wildly (Probably pulling enough G's to knock out someone) and crashed near the helipad. I survived, thankfully.

Why can't there be a civilian variant of the Buzzard? In online air races, you can pick the color of a Buzzard and its unarmed. I'd love to have my own personal Little Bird. Hopefully, since people know it is unarmed, they won't fire upon it when they see it. Whenever I like to fly the regular Buzzard, I think I scare people with it. I only wish to observe players with a very nimble helicopter, not slaughter them with it.

Back