Alerts link on the bottom of the site

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 30 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Is it possible to move this? Or move the message reply buttons? I often find myself scrolling to the bottom of the page to use the quick reply box, but I accidentally hover over the Alerts button and it automatically pops up and won't go away unless you click somewhere on the page. When it's up it blocks the reply buttons for the quick reply. Just found it quite annoying, not sure if I am alone.

Is it possible to move this? Or move the message reply buttons? I often find myself scrolling to the bottom of the page to use the quick reply box, but I accidentally hover over the Alerts button and it automatically pops up and won't go away unless you click somewhere on the page. When it's up it blocks the reply buttons for the quick reply. Just found it quite annoying, not sure if I am alone.

Been having the exact same issue. And what makes it worse is the alert pop up will stick open for a time (like it just did at this moment typing this) and I have to click the window or the reply box again. Other sites that I've seen or been on with quick displays (which is what I imagine it is intended for) usually go away if I don't interact with it. Or say if I no longer hover over it, but here it stays.

This is a specific case of a more general problem. The problem is the rollovers (AKA landmines) that pop up if you accidentally move the mouse cursor over them. Most other sites they pop down again as soon as you move the mouse away, or go away after a short period of time.

Whatever happened to the concept of, if I want to open a (sub)window I'll click on the link/button?

I like it there. Helpful if you're getting blown up with alerts.

Never had an issue blocking the reply button though.

Last edited:
Wow, I never thought of this. You guys must be getting a ton of alerts, I've never had so many that the pop up window blocks the reply button.

I definitely could see it being a nuisance, though. I agree with the sentiment that the pop up window should disappear as soon as you hover the mouse away from it.

Since my tag for Jordan was deleted, maybe we can get some help on this issue soon since it seems be going unnoticed.

Since my tag for Jordan was deleted, maybe we can get some help on this issue soon since it seems be going unnoticed.

Hover over the Alert link to pop it out then try clicking where I've marked the red spot, works for me?

d10.jpg

The other option is for the Alerts flyout to minimize itself after 5 or 10 seconds, but personally I'd find that more annoying than having to tap off of it to minimize it. I think it's fine like it is.

Changing the action to on click rather than on hover would solve the problem.
If the "on hover" would disappear completely from the toolkit I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it. The times it's a help are far outweighed by the times it's a nuisance or worse.

TB
The other option is for the Alerts flyout to minimize itself after 5 or 10 seconds, but personally I'd find that more annoying than having to tap off of it to minimize it. I think it's fine like it is.

Once I figured out how to hide the menu it was okay, it just seems to be a feature that does half-of-one-thing and half-of-another. Not GTPlanet's fault though, I guess, I presume it's part of the overall forum package.

Unless it's GTPlanet's fault of course, in which case "booooooooooo!" :D

It is an intrinsic behavior in the forum software. Sorry, guys, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why this is an issue; the menus do not pop-open unless you've hovered over them for a second, and it's trivial to close them with a click anywhere else on the page.

It is an intrinsic behavior in the forum software. Sorry, guys, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why this is an issue; the menus do not pop-open unless you've hovered over them for a second, and it's trivial to close them with a click anywhere else on the page.
They never pop up for me. :odd:

On the subject of the Alert window, I've noticed some strange behavior. For instance, sometimes the top Alert pop up window will show no new alerts, but the one on the bottom will. On the same window load, no refresh or anything.

Why is it necessary for them to rollover/hover pop up in the first place? Why not just open when they're clicked on? To paraphrase, it's trivial to open them with a click.

Why is it necessary for them to rollover/hover pop up in the first place? Why not just open when they're clicked on? To paraphrase, it's trivial to open them with a click.

That's the kind of control they appear to be, imo that's how they should work.

It's not a huge problem but I do think they should work conventionally. Presumably on the mobile version they require a click to open?

On the subject of the Alert window, I've noticed some strange behavior. For instance, sometimes the top Alert pop up window will show no new alerts, but the one on the bottom will. On the same window load, no refresh or anything.
The top and bottom alert counts are not synchronized; if you view one they will not be marked as red in the other until you either view them in that location or refresh the page.
Well, you'd have to ask the the forum software developers what their intentions were when they made that decision.

If I had to guess, though, it's because it is considerably more efficient to open them on hover; an active user with the default settings will be checking their Alerts on nearly every page view, and simply swiping your cursor up to the box will let you see what's happened. Yes, in isolation, it would be trivial to open them with a click instead, but that adds up to a lot more clicks over the course of a browsing session.

On the other hand, the hover targets are small; I rarely, if ever, open them by accident, and it's so easy to close them I don't even pay attention to it when it does happen. Perhaps you guys are just doing a lot of extra "mousing around" the page?
It's not a huge problem but I do think they should work conventionally. Presumably on the mobile version they require a click to open?
That's correct, but of course, a "hover" action is impossible on a touch-based device.

Well, you'd have to ask the the forum software developers what their intentions were when they made that decision.

If I had to guess, though, it's because it is considerably more efficient to open them on hover; an active user with the default settings will be checking their Alerts on nearly every page view, and simply swiping your cursor up to the box will let you see what's happened. Yes, in isolation, it would be trivial to open them with a click instead, but that adds up to a lot more clicks over the course of a browsing session.
A couple of points here. It may be more efficient, but only if one's intention is to open the link. If you didn't want to open it and hovered over it by accident, it is considerably less efficient. Further, I guess I'm not a terribly active user then; I check the alerts just a handful of times per session. There's also all the other landmine hotspots, such as the lists of subforums although frankly I don't get bitten by that one all that much.

On the other hand, the hover targets are small; I rarely, if ever, open them by accident, and it's so easy to close them I don't even pay attention to it when it does happen. Perhaps you guys are just doing a lot of extra "mousing around" the page?
I, on the other hand, have enough trouble with them that at times they are a real nuisance. Given that others are saying the same thing in this thread, I'd say I'm not the only one.

Oh, and the "hover time" is considerably less than a second.

This isn't something Jordan can change though, unlike many other things. It's a non-configurable part of the software.

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

My issue is that I have a habit of mousing "down" when I get ready to type in the reply box, so the mouse pointer tends to hit the Alerts button long enough for it to pop up and be annoying like so:

gtp_popup.PNG

Since it just happened again, it reminded me of this thread.

I have no issue, I just move my pointer to the side.

This isn't a very difficult problem, it's just something you're gonna have to adapt to.
Get in habit of moving your pointer somewhere else.

It seems that I have a special, but positive version of GTP. :P

My "alerts" don't block the "post reply" button.

You might have the widescreen option turned off. Go to your preferences and turn it on :D
Indeed, that's it, widescreen is the "wrongdoer"!

I prefer the widescreen option turned off. So, for me personal @Jordan doesn't have to change anything.
Widescreen makes me have to turn my head from left to right if I want to read a post. :D

Widescreen makes me have to turn my head from left to right if I want to read a post. :D

You can't look with your eyes only? Are you a dog?

Either that or you have one of these. In which case that's awesome and you should probably take some pictures and share with us. :D

Back