Amazed by the McLaren MP4/4!

• Thread starter Syl035
  • 62 comments
I'm leaning toward skipping this time around. I may just wait until it has some companion cars in some F1-specific races.
I agree, it can wait unless you have tons of credits to blow. That was my initial plan but saw lots of reviews online from people really talking it up. If you don’t want to drive a Gr.2 at Sardegna just grab any tuned Gr.3 car and you’ll post the same lap times as the MP4/4.

My GT7 top 3 favorite cars keeps getting more members.

PD nailed it with this car. Drives fantastically. The tail will come around if you brake too hard. Shifting with a clutch and h-pattern is just sex. You can watch the tires get dirty and clean themselves when you go off track on an excursion. The sound. I did the Sardegna race 3x with it and only won once. Couldn’t have cared less. It was a joy to drive

Went ahead and dropped the 8 million on it and can say it desperately needs its own event to really enjoy it in stock form. Detuning to 800pp to run at Sardegna is extremely underwhelming experience. All of my Gr.2 cars are easily 3-4 seconds faster per lap consistently and much more fuel efficient. I had to run FM3 and FM4 to be able to 1 stop the McLaren where Gr.2 cars I can run FM2 and 1 stop.
This car seems to currently only be good for 1 thing; custom races.
Not for me. I'm running FM1, RH. Stopping on Lap 10. 25min33sec finishes. No dramas. Gr.2 cars I one stop on FM1 as well.

Edit: Just saw this
There are no races for the maclrean
@Matt atkins right, but as many players use many types of cars for different events, the McLaren MP4/4 can be used in the 800PP races. That is why I posted the set up.

Last edited:
Crazy thing with this car is realizing how exposed the drivers we’re back then. Just a quick glance right and left in cockpit view shows that. Not to mention, just a measly windshield to protect your upper body from debris. Their head wasn’t the least but protected side to side, their shoulders were not exposed. Manly men back then

Two more of the best when men were men:

Attachments

• Juan Manuel Fangio.jpg
    Juan Manuel Fangio.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 11
  • Tazio Nuvolari.jpg
    Tazio Nuvolari.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 12
Not for me. I'm running FM1, RH. Stopping on Lap 10. 25min33sec finishes. No dramas. Gr.2 cars I one stop on FM1 as well.

Edit: Just saw this

@Matt atkins right, but as many players use many types of cars for different events, the McLaren MP4/4 can be used in the 800PP races. That is why I posted the set up.
Okay thank you

I think PD's work was wonderful with the MP4/4. In fact, PD's digitization work is different.

My criticism of MP4/4 lies in the management of the PD. Particularly I think it's a mistake for PD to bring the MP4/4 without bringing its corresponding competitors. The same reasoning goes for the Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI.

I am uncomfortable with this "mess" of bringing an isolated car and inserting it in the middle of other cars or even taking a car from a different universe and leaving it isolated, serving only to make a number, an adornment within the purpose of the game, at most, a time attack.

I think the ideal would be to bring the MP4/4 along with three or four more cars, for example, along with the FW12, F188C or 100T. In the case of the 155 V6, bring it into the game together with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class DTM '94, Opel Calibra DTM '94, Audi B4 Quattro Turbo '94 Prototype or BMW M3 E36 DTM '94.

Last edited:
Does anyone knows what are the number related to on the dashboard?
The red line is the RPM
Top right in red is the Turbo Pressure
I don't know what "NE" stands for
The number next to it is the RPM again
And for the others numbers, I have no idea!

"TH29.7" ?? It goes "14.7" on engine brake which makes me think of air/fuel ideal mix. And goes up to 29.7
"TW85" ?? This number doesn't seem to change
"TO10PO"?? This number doesn't seem to change
"763VB" ?? Goes from "403" up to "792", seems to be related to the RPM, maybe it is oil pressure? From 4 bar up to almost 8 bar?
"12.5". ?? This number doesn't seem to change

Any idea on what that might be?
TW85 is probably Water Temperature.
TO10 is probably Oil Temp
PO 392 is probably Oil Pressure
VB12.5 is probably Battery Voltage

And no, I don't know why TW, TO, PO & VB are all backwards.

Turn 3, Laguna Seca_.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw the 97T mentioned earlier, and just wanted to mention that in comparison, I found the McLaren orders of magnitude easier to drive. Both cars are difficult to use part throttle, as you either have no power or ALL of the power, with nothing in between. That makes turns like Rivage and Les Fagnes quite the effort. However, that effect is greatly magnified in the Lotus with its over 4 bar of boost. Also, the 1st three gears in the Lotus are pretty much used up instantly when in a straight line; it's go-shift-shift-shift, just that quickly.

In GT6 and the actual 97T I'm considerably quicker than the McLaren in GT7, but the F1500T in GT Sport, a "clone" of the 97T, is also slower the the car in GT6. I'm not sure if Spa is modeled differently in GT6, but the curbs are different colors.

if anyone's looking for a good tune for sardegna

I saw the 97T mentioned earlier, and just wanted to mention that in comparison, I found the McLaren orders of magnitude easier to drive. Both cars are difficult to use part throttle, as you either have no power or ALL of the power, with nothing in between. That makes turns like Rivage and Les Fagnes quite the effort. However, that effect is greatly magnified in the Lotus with its over 4 bar of boost. Also, the 1st three gears in the Lotus are pretty much used up instantly when in a straight line; it's go-shift-shift-shift, just that quickly.

In GT6 and the actual 97T I'm considerably quicker than the McLaren in GT7, but the F1500T in GT Sport, a "clone" of the 97T, is also slower the the car in GT6. I'm not sure if Spa is modeled differently in GT6, but the curbs are different colors.
The relative speed of certain race cars changed greatly between GT6 & GT7.

In terms of real life pace. These are the pole times from Spa:

‘86 - 1:54.331

‘87 - 1:52.026

‘88 - 1:53.718

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet. I had saved up for it, but I saw the Ferrari next to it was limited stock and bought that first. I acquired the MP4/4 yesterday or the day before but haven driven it yet.
It should be fun!

TW85 is probably Water Temperature.
TO10 is probably Oil Temp
PO 392 is probably Oil Pressure
VB12.5 is probably Battery Voltage

And no, I don't know why TW, TO, PO & VB are all backwards.

View attachment 1189257

Wow thank you, it does make sense indeed!

The relative speed of certain race cars changed greatly between GT6 & GT7.

In terms of real life pace. These are the pole times from Spa:

‘86 - 1:54.331

‘87 - 1:52.026

‘88 - 1:53.718

But don't forget that the track was not the same at that time unfortunately, raidillon was rebuilt and the chicane is not the same anymore.

It's very good indeed. I got it under the 5.30 mark around the Nords.

Me too! And I think we could do better with some training! I really like those kind of tracks where we can be fast with almost any car as long as we know the layout quite well. I struggle driving a slower car afterward though...

Me too! And I think we could do better with some training! I really like those kind of tracks where we can be fast with almost any car as long as we know the layout quite well. I struggle driving a slower car afterward though...

Awesome! What's your exact time mate? :)
(Btw. I did it with a completely stock car, nothing changed, RM tyres, no traction control, manual)

(Btw. I did it with a completely stock car, nothing changed, RM tyres, no traction control, manual)
I did a 5:33.9 with RS tires and I tweaked a bit the aero and the gearbox to go up to 350km/h on the straight. I could go below 5:30 with this setup.

But the I saw your message and I quickly tried it completely stock with Medium tires and I managed a 5:36.5 on my first run. I was a bit cautious because the tires have not as much grip as the soft. But since there is more aero, I think I could do a few more laps with more confidence on some corners.

And you, what is your exact time? This would give me a motivation to improve my personnal lap times! 👍

But don't forget that the track was not the same at that time unfortunately, raidillon was rebuilt and the chicane is not the same anymore.
I’m not sure what changes where made back then. Through much of the late 80’s & early 90’s the track was relatively unchanged.

I’d really like to see some early 90’s 3.5 Group C cars like the 905. Together with similar era F1 cars.

Last edited:
05.28.813. I COULD get it into the 27s with a perfect/mistake-free lap. It's just so hard to do. :P

Ok so after a few attemps, I only managed to do a 5:33.719 (a bit quicker than my first lap time but that was with a tuned version to get more top speed...)

I seem to be so far away from your time: on my best attempt I had the feeling that I did no mistake but in the end, I was a bit more careful to make sure I did no mistake...

The only excuse I have is that, now, the car has lost 10HP hahaha.

Would you mind share your replay and add me on PSN so I could compare our lap times? :)

Ok so after a few attemps, I only managed to do a 5:33.719 (a bit quicker than my first lap time but that was with a tuned version to get more top speed...)

I seem to be so far away from your time: on my best attempt I had the feeling that I did no mistake but in the end, I was a bit more careful to make sure I did no mistake...

The only excuse I have is that, now, the car has lost 10HP hahaha.

Would you mind share your replay and add me on PSN so I could compare our lap times? :)

Heh it's all good mate, a 05.33.xxx is a really good time btw.! I'll release the replay on the 24th of December, as a "X-mas gift" to my subscribers (it's the fastest car I tested/will probably test) and will be the last hot lap to be released this year. I know it's silly. :P You can check my other hot laps though if you like. I'm uploading 3 new ones each week until the end of the year.

My psn is alexpkas :)

Heh it's all good mate, a 05.33.xxx is a really good time btw.! I'll release the replay on the 24th of December, as a "X-mas gift" to my subscribers (it's the fastest car I tested/will probably test) and will be the last hot lap to be released this year. I know it's silly. :P You can check my other hot laps though if you like. I'm uploading 3 new ones each week until the end of the year.

My psn is alexpkas :)

No wayyy! I see you are doing other hot laps on the Nurb, I can't wait to try these out aswell like the Turbo 5 for instance which is a really cool car!

I just added you on PSN btw!

Last edited:
Back