Any guesses on why the Viziv GT sounds so darn good?

Jersey
<--- This place
CHALLENGER1ON1
Here's my hypothesis: Polyphony Digital already found their new sound recording company and asked them to create a grumbly, badass Boxer sound for the Viziv. Of course, I could be very wrong.

Spongebob_Imagination_by_kssael.png

The Viziv doesn't use recordings.

It uses the same method that the Red Bull and Senna cars use.

PD call that method AES.

The Viziv uses a slightly different version from the other cars, which is why it's more expressive.
Apparently not many people around here are reading your musings on the various sound threads:banghead::banghead:

They should use this more often, because so far it's working great.
The problem is that without intake sound, the raw exhaust sounds would not work very well. That's why the sounds they have used are overblown slightly.

We don't normally hear naked exhaust sounds totally solo, there are several layers that contribute to the sound we do hear; it's surprisingly difficult to separate those layers in our heads without having heard them in isolation. Of course, with a synthetic soundscape you can include or ignore whatever you want.

If they can get around that limitation, no doubt they will roll out AES to all cars - the Subaru's changed AES method is possibly one step towards that.

However, as it stands, there's no way to modify the silencing properties of the exhaust tract, so all cars would only have a "straight pipes" type sound. So that will have to be added somehow; but just like there were clues about this new cockpit sound coming, there are clues that the addition of realistic exhaust muffling is at least planned for now.
Apparently not many people around here are reading your musings on the various sound threads:banghead::banghead:
It's an apparently tricky concept; not many people really analyse what makes engine sounds sound like engine sounds, and so the possibilities evade them. I struggle to explain it in a way that doesn't result in glazed eyes and dribble. :D

Probably this is the first evidence of new sound engineers from PD working together to record a new and satisfying sound.

Probably this is the first evidence of new sound engineers from PD working together to record a new and satisfying sound.
Nope. This was planned from the start.
I agree. The cockpit sound in particular, I find it too muffled.
That has nothing expressly to do with the Subaru, which actually doesn't sound as bad in the cockpit view; that's because the cockpit sound overhaul is designed for AES, not the existing samples.

That has nothing expressly to do with the Subaru, which actually doesn't sound as bad in the cockpit view; that's because the cockpit sound overhaul is designed for AES, not the existing samples.
I read your previous posts but I still don't understand what AES means. Can you explain it to me? (If don't want to waste your time explaining it it's ok, I understand)

I read your previous posts but I still don't understand what AES means. Can you explain it to me? (If don't want to waste your time explaining it it's ok, I understand)
A new system that allows the game to generate sounds according to each machine's engine and exhaust characteristics. The main distinguishing characteristic about it is that it doesn't require PD to go out and chase down cars to record.

But if they don't record the cars, how do they know what sound they make?
They don't, the game knows or something like that. I'm quite perplexed on how exactly this works myself buy I'm going off of @Griffith500 's explanation of how it works and why it's better.

The idea is that you provide data about the engine configuration and its state of tune, and the synthesiser does most of the rest to produce the base sound. From there, you specify the exhaust and intake configuration, etc. and tweak the silencing attributes using real world characteristics such as lengths and diameters of tubes etc.

It is best to refer to recordings in order to fine tune the bits that were approximated, because you can't rely on a 1:1 physical model due to the computational cost. So recordings are still necessary for reference, for stock sounds especially.

Where this system comes into its own is in its inherent ability to reproduce changes in sound according to physical changes made to the engine - because it is physically based in the first place. That means there are theoretically limitless variations to the sounds, within the bounds of the physical changes that can be made in the game. So, cam changes, exhaust and intake changes etc. mainly.

The trouble is, PD can't let us change everything. They'll have to provide an interface for whatever customisation they choose to expose, or else sick to the presets approach.

The idea is that you provide data about the engine configuration and its state of tune, and the synthesiser does most of the rest to produce the base sound. From there, you specify the exhaust and intake configuration, etc. and tweak the silencing attributes using real world characteristics such as lengths and diameters of tubes etc.

It is best to refer to recordings in order to fine tune the bits that were approximated, because you can't rely on a 1:1 physical model due to the computational cost. So recordings are still necessary for reference, for stock sounds especially.

Where this system comes into its own is in its inherent ability to reproduce changes in sound according to physical changes made to the engine - because it is physically based in the first place. That means there are theoretically limitless variations to the sounds, within the bounds of the physical changes that can be made in the game. So, cam changes, exhaust and intake changes etc. mainly.

The trouble is, PD can't let us change everything. They'll have to provide an interface for whatever customisation they choose to expose, or else sick to the presets approach.
Thanks, now I understand! Last personal question: do you think that all the new cars that will be added to GT6 will use this technology?

P.S. Sorry for my English

Thanks, now I understand! Last personal question: do you think that all the new cars that will be added to GT6 will use this technology?

P.S. Sorry for my English
The method was in the game at launch, with the X2010 / X2011 cars, and only a few of the cars added use the method. So I think the coverage will continue to be patchy according to whether or not PD think they can make it work for a particular car.

Without intake sound in the game, the presets they've made using real-life references won't sound right, because the real sound is a balance of several sources. So either they have to hand tweak all the presets to account for the lack of intake, or find some way of automating the process with a modified method instead.

I don't think it's particularly likely they'll do either, so we'll only get the occasional treat still, I think. For PS4, they can use the presets they've already made. :)

Your English is great, by the way! ;)

That's the dodgy transmission simulation; it's done that since GT4, usually for fantasy cars.

Presumably because the data for drivetrain components doesn't exist, and the made up ones cause instability in PD's system. It happens for some real cars, too, usually racing cars.

Back