Arcade Love ~*~ The Hit List & Game Changer.

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 377 comments
30 laps of Cape Ring Inside in a Fiat 500 (old one) on CH. God, what a challenge!

Does that even work? I suppose Cape Ring Inside doesn't have too many high-speed stretches so it might be ok. I recently tried one of my favorited low-end cars (can't remember offhand whether it was the Subaru 360 or one of the really old Toyotas) at the Ring and no matter what I did I got a field of cars that could just drive away from me on the straights. It didn't matter if I could gain a bunch on the cars around me in a tight section, they just left me for dead every time it opened up(and of course that track is pretty wide open in those cars). I think I lost around 30 seconds per lap, with no chance of making that up even if I had slapped some Race Softs on to cut my non-flat time down as low as possible.

Completely unrelated long post I've been thinking about making for a while now:

I also recently tried driving the McLaren F1 I never get around to learning(also at the Nordschleife), and encountered something puzzling. I left it stock and just dropped to Comfort Softs which ordinarily would mean if I just kept it clean I'd destroy any car similar to mine and have a half-decent race yet a noticeable advantage with those a bit better, but need to really push just to not lose time to the rabbits. Of course there aren't really any road cars much higher-performance than an F1, so I figured it would be a nice relaxing cruise to possibly catch the leader.

Not so. The rest of the field was about as you'd expect, easy to deal with although my inexperience with the car and tendency to drive slower cars meant I had to at least drive half-decent to catch/outrun the Nardos and Enzos. But the car up front was a monster, which turned out to be another McLaren F1. I had to do some learning to even be able to stay the same distance behind him, despite only being 1 tire grade down.

After some more practice and experimentation I have come to realize that while some of it is explained by the difficulty of controlling so much power, and some is explained by the fact that you need to back off a bit at some of the places where the AI slows down unneccessarily in most cars, and some is my own lack of talent, the bots really just plain seem to be much better at driving that car than most any of the others. I am able to drive the car as fast or often faster through the corners than most other cars(it handles brilliantly when you have it controlled) but in order to keep up with an identical car just 1 tire grade above mine I need to drive much better than I do in virtually any other car.

For a wonderful example of how this works as well as how odd PD's AI really is.... Start up a 1-make race at the Nordschleife using the stock TVR Cerbera Speed 12 with your "standard" balancing adjustments when doing this sort of thing. Even if you just take it super easy and do not do much other than keep the thing on the track, you'll easily annihilate them - I pulled well over 30 seconds in a lap after carefully and patiently working through the field on my first attempt. Then set up an identical race against McLaren F1s. The difference is night and day. Most cars tend to fall somewhere in between these two extremes although generally closer to the "easy" end than the "difficult", even other fairly fast cars that I'm not well accustomed to.

I've spent some time with it and improved my times and consistency a lot, but still I can generally only manage to gain a few tenths in any sector that doesn't have one of their "idiot spots" like braking heavily between Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz. As a rule, my small mistakes and my good sections balance out and I only gain the amount you get from where they do that sort of thing. They actually slow down less in this car climbing the hill after Bergwerk than they do in cars that can take that corner without even a second thought -- about the same as I do, though they do let me gain some at the very top by backing off too much.

I realize there are people much faster than me, and with a few more hours in the car I may gain more speed, but I have to wonder if I'm the only one who has encountered this or if I'm just somehow far less capable of getting pace out of this car than any other car in the game (including the ones I can barely keep under control). Could this really all be down to their innate computer advantage at throttle modulation(not that that explains the Speed 12)?

At this rate, a McLaren F1 one-make race actually seems a reasonable prospect for an enjoyable, if nerve-wracking, race.

I had some fantastic races this evening. I highly recommend trying -

Car & track.

Peugeot 908 Team Total LM race car - RH - 65kg ballast at Nurberg GP/D for 24 laps.

Competition.
Mixed with LMP, closed and open cockpit race cars: R10, 787B, Perscarolos, Sauber, Mercedes, Nissan... All super fast. :D

Additional.
Excellent fun. I didn't tune the car, just ran it stock, so had to take it easy and get used to it. I hadn't used this car for over a year. The track is quite tricky but the racing is amazing and lasted the whole race. I pitted mid race, the others pitted at all different laps making some interesting position shifts. Managed to hold on to 9th as I crossed the line. I will go for twince as many laps next time and hold out for a better finish.

Car & track.

Nissan Silvia Spec R (GT Academy version) - SH - 65kg ballast at Route 11 Special Stage for 18 laps.

Competition.
The cast of Fast and Furious. Really, RXs, NSXs, Evos, a few muscles but mostly a street racer Japanese-fest! :lol:

Additional.
Another exciting race. I made good progress once the tyres were warm. Around lap 8 I got swiped by an NSX which thought drifting the first corner would be fun. I drove the next few laps with some damage but pitted on 10. I made it up to 4th on new rubber but after crossing the line on lap 16 I got distracted by a mosquito on my chest and subsequently hit the wall at the first corner. I finished the lap and retired since the car was pretty wrecked.

Awesome, awesome fun today. I can't wait for the weekend so I can try some endurance racing at the GD/P circuit with something new, perhaps the 908 again.

Fiat 500 on 5 tracks over 3 hours. So much fun.

Le Mans Sprint for 1 lap. Autumn Mini for 20. Nurburgring for 2. Monza for 12 and HSR for 10.

I had the radio on, obviously. I can't think of a better way to chill out.

Formula GT. Max Ai, Max Agression. Spa, Laguna Seca, Nurburgring, Suzuka, Motegi, Fuji, Monza.
10 lap races even better 20.
Adjust suspensions to softer values for more grip, reduce front wing or increase rear to split downforce on the back-end. No aids no ABS, race hard tyres. You'll finally battle for position in this game.
Max speed allowed 350 km/h (don't adjust gearbox for more top speed, you'll pass everyone in the straight).

Ford MKIV, Jag XJ13, Ferrari 330 at LaSarthe 24. RH's with 75kg ballast.
Stock except for transmission adjustment. Various laps: 16 -24 is what I've run. No aids. Start in last, no passing until unto Mulsanne straight.

Starting the grid with any of these 3 will put all three in the grid. Rest of grid is mixed but I've had one or all of the 67's be the fastest cars. Best combo to race with all these great cars I've found so far.

ABS 0 of course. That makes the Mulsanne corner a fight with AI on 10. I've had the AI smash me there so I run Light Damage here. For my skill level a win wasn't easy until I'd run it a few times. A couple times I've run off in the lead, others with a car not far behind for wins. Before that, some mid pack finishes after wrecks.

I highly recommend this combo, both relaxing and exciting. I put all HUD off for laps at a time and ran cockpit cam, headphones cranked.

GTR Calsonic stock. Sport Soft tires. ALL assists OFF. ABS-0.
FUJI track, with chicanes, 50 laps. All field is GT500 cars as this car is included to recommended list in Arcade mode.
I have catched up the leader after pit stop on 41st lap, then I didn't pass him, stuck behind him 10!!! laps.
When on a straight, I drafted 1-2 cm.behind him. Got used to his braking points after 4-5 laps, so when I watched replay it WAS JUST AMAZING, EPIC train of us.
You can either win dat race or get REAL SATISFACTION from being professional driver on someone's tail.

• Any arcade Rally car will spawn other rally cars. It's great fun on the Nürburgring because the pack stays tight. You may want to downgrade your tires before the race.

6522530111_9cb1ccefa2_z.jpg

random google picture

• Other cars that I've noticed spawn well tailored grids:
  • Peugeot 106 S16 '03 is great if you like slow races, it's true both on Le Mans and Nür;
  • Peugeot 205 (which has a very good exhaust sound fyi but weird handling);
  • overall, lower mid-end cars like the premium Renault Mégane, Peugeot 207, Citroën C4 will have the same grid and can be interesting depending on your taste;
  • Jaguar XKR Coupé '10;
  • Toyota Prius TC (DLC) is set against rally cars iirc, and it's awesome, highly recommanded;
  • Lamborghini Countach Anniversary '88;
  • and any Super GT 500 (don't forget to try the Lamborghini Diablo) but also forgotten cars like the Team Oreca Viper.

These are the cars I've noticed spawn interesting grids in arcade. In general, common cars are always interesting but the slight differences in top speed will create gaps on any track with a long straight. Another interesting tier is the BMW/Jaguar one but there's a smaller pool of choice.

Now, my turn to ask for your experience. I really like to play with French cars but I have big troubles getting interesting races with them. Is there a get around for a Bugatti Veyron and/or Citroën Concept (because outside of Time Trial, the grid is really broken), and tiny cars like the Alpine, or standards like the Peugeot 206, Renault Clio, Peugeot 406 Coupé, etc? Every time I'm set against the likes of both Mazda RX-7s and slow cars, which is the ultimate grid of boredom.
Also... I love the DTM cars but it's impossible to have a DTM race outside of the A-Spec events. Tips welcome.

Whoops, totally forgot about this :embarrassed:

Anyway, my race: I won. It was close, but I won. Very interesting race and in the end only the two leaders were up front (Just the way I like it.). When it comes to close races, I'm obsessed. That's why I loved this one :)

~GT5Power

Last edited:
Tips welcome.
I can't help with DTM, but I suggest you to take advantage of Secret Menu. No, PD won't ban you don't worry. I'm using it a lot and had no issues at all. I can't tell you how to activate it here, search on the web.

The biggest advantage of Secret Menu is you can select AI cars from premium models, you can set up some very interesting races with an even field of similar cars, for instance SGT500 or SGT300 races and use your favourite car not only the arcade available Calsonic GT-R. Only premium cars are available in Secret Menu.

Pranayama
Here's how it works:
- all opponent cars are always stock with stock tires!

- GT5 divides cars into two groups: street (sports) cars, and all others (tuning cars, rally, all race cars), GT5 chooses according to your car

- the opponents are chosen according to your cars estimated performance as you enter the race

- using the settings presented in this thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=278596
(hopefully) give best results (stock cars, driver weight, one tire-grade down)

- full field of one class (super-GT, rally, ...) can only be achieved by using one of the cars from the "arcade garage". I recommend to buy the specific car from the dealer and set it up like explained explained in the thread mentioned above (follow link), put it on the "favorites" list and choose it after entering arcade mode. these cars always result in the same field of opponents, no matter which tires or PP you choose.

cheers!

This works :-)

I didnt know about this thread but, I did experiment with different pp, cars and tracks. What I found is with my Stealth SLS AMG, at 700hp (with supercharger) and anywhere from 630pp upwards, I would race against all the the Dream cars. At 625pp and lower, 1960's race cars show up.

The best track I find the AI(at all pp) at their quickest, is Motegi Road Course. The cars dont slow down much only at turn 3, the end of the second straight at turn 4 and the turn 9 hairpin before the back straight past the second pit area.

Little bumpy bump for this.
Yes, it's 2015 but sometimes I still play GT5 with my custom starting grids.
Why? Because it's fun and I can have decent racing.

This is a list of cars organized by performance points. These little heaps of similar pp cars make sense for a balanced starting grid. Use a similar car and increase/decrease performance until you find something suitable for close mid pack. The point here is having door to door racing reducing those rabbits running away in the front.

I suggest unlimited laps. Just race and quit when you want, no chequered flags here the only point is having a decent close race.

573 Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
576 Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport '11
579 Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra '05
579 Subaru IMPREZA TC
580 Honda EPSON NSX '08
580 Lexus BANDAI DIREZZA SC430 '06
580 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R R32 TC

579 Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra '05
580 Honda EPSON NSX '08
580 Lexus BANDAI DIREZZA SC430 '06
583 Lexus ENEOS SC430 '08

586 Honda TAKATA DOME NSX '06
586 Honda RAYBRIG NSX '06
586 Honda ARTA NSX '06
587 Nissan WOODONE ADVAN Clarion GT-R '08

588 Mazda RX-7 TC
589 Lexus PETRONAS TOM'S SC430 '08
589 Lexus DENSO DUNLOP SARD SC430 '08
590 Honda weider HSV-010 (SUPER GT) '11
591 Toyota Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '97
592 Nissan MOTUL AUTECH GT-R '08

595 Nissan XANAVI NISMO GT-R '08
595 Nissan YellowHat YMS TOMICA GT-R '08
595 Nissan Calsonic IMPUL GT-R '08
597 Honda NSX GT500 Stealth Model

604 SLS AMG Stealth Model
609 Nissan XANAVI NISMO Z '06
616 Nissan GT-R GT500 Stealth Model
619 Citroën GT by Citroën Race Car

632 McLaren F1 Stealth Model
633 Gran Turismo Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car
636 Nissan GT-R R35 TC

673 Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06
686 R10 TDI Stealth Model
697 Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Oreca Matmut '10
697 Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10

706 Mazda 787B Race car '91
709 Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car ’88
714 Mazda787B Stealth Model

This thread along with race reports and some others are hidden gems. Strong bump, I played little bit today and it's quite fun. Bumping it for people who still may play the game.. Some threads are just great, if I'll have time I'll do the list. For all of us waiting for GT7 :P
It's nice how you can kind of select grid based on how you set up a car in a GT mode.. Great read, almost as good as race reports thread.

This thread along with race reports and some others are hidden gems. Strong bump, I played little bit today and it's quite fun. Bumping it for people who still may play the game.. Some threads are just great, if I'll have time I'll do the list. For all of us waiting for GT7 :P
It's nice how you can kind of select grid based on how you set up a car in a GT mode.. Great read, almost as good as race reports thread.

I had completely forgotten about this. I now wish I still had a PS and a copy of GT to race arcade mode on.

Does GT sport have arcade mode?

Back