Audi R8 Meets Gran Turismo (inc Nürburgring video footage)

• Thread starter MGR
  • 362 comments
Q: The graphics of "GT5 Prologue" are unbelievably realistic. What can still be improved with this game?
Yamauchi: GT5 will have a greater selection of vehicles and tracks. And we will offer more features for online-communities. Furthermore we are working hard on a life-like graphics representation of rain and night.

Q: How do you succeed in transferring cars to the game so realistically?
Yamauchi: To model cars graphically so that they resemble their real-life counterpart, we need the real models. With the Audi R8 it was very hard to reproduce the premium materials of the interior. Also for the bodywork it was not easy to express this level, this unbelievable precision.

Q: Not only the cars, also each and every tree on the Nürburgring strikingly resembles their real-life counterpart. Do such details influence the gaming experience?
Yamauchi: We have the greatest respect for the inherent power of the cars and also nature. Therefore we observe every detail very diligently - even if it's only a bush on the side of the track. Our passion and effort don't always show instantly, but they affect the gamer subconsciously.

Q: Which game modes can fans of GT expect soon?
Yamauchi: We are working on modelling also weather changes, that can influence a race. And also damage on race cars we will be able to simulate soon.

Q: Let's dare to look into the far future. What will Gran Turismo 9 feature?
Yamauchi: It is hard for me to foresee developments so far in the future. Gran Turismo grows with the automobile industry. If we take a look at the future of GT, we always have to take a look at the future of the automobile industry.

care to elabourate Auerlio?

Edit:

thank you for the high quality conversion Snow much appriceated

Great Info! :) Glad to here about GT stuff just before E3 because it increases the chances of them being actually at the show.

The one thing I want to know is, is that the Nurb render from GT4 just in HD or is it a new GT5 render? It does look better than the stuff we have seen before (especially the lighting effects).

A damage update seems likely for Prologue, KY promised damage in prologue and it would be a good place to test if out before its in the final retail game... so they can get feedback.

Robin.

Iam a bit concerned that he hasn't mentioned day/night transitions just simply working on 'night' graphics.

heres hoping that the big enduros are still there now we have a chance for a good field of cars.

Also from the rest of the article:

They say that GT will be released "in 2009". That would also suggest a Thanksgiving release.

I could be reading something into it that simply is not there (especially since it's a translation from Japanese into German), but he supposedly says "damage to race cars". Could mean that only race cars can be damaged. (which would be a great solution to avoid discussions with the manufacturers...simply don't have damage for production cars)

I could be reading something into it that simply is not there (especially since it's a translation from Japanese into German), but he supposedly says "damage to race cars". Could mean that only race cars can be damaged. (which would be a great solution to avoid discussions with the manufacturers...simply don't have damage for production cars)

KY has mentioned damage to racecars only before, so it sounds like a correct translation.

Also from the rest of the article:

They say that GT will be released "in 2009". That would also suggest a Thanksgiving release.

Not so much avoid, I think they still have to ask them as it is still an image of their car being broken up. However, it does make it a million times easier to get all of the manufacturers to agree, as they don't sell the race cars, so seeing them damaged wouldn't affect sales of any of their products (or at least, this is the line PD would try to sell it on). Racing is dangerous, so the "it would make the cars look unsafe for the public" line would be solved too.

Hope,this free advertising for Audi will get us the Audi R8 V12 TDi as a concept car in the final game !!!!

Oh by the way has the car been updated with its current V10 engine ?

I'm pretty sure it has - it is now in production, although it is not an updat eas the V8 is still existing on the Audi range.

Nothing in the world is going to come between me and this game. I think when GT5 comes out I’ll take a week off work and buy a HDTV for my bedroom.
Dynamic weather is the news I’ve been waiting for :). Much more important then damage (IMO).

like what?....

spyrrari.

It's obvious that it's not on the real track. But it looks much more like a car in a driving sim or something like that. The render of the car and the track are different: track looks less real than the R8. As said by dzidza: the rpm indicator is at 0. If they used their current version of GT5 for the video of the driving sim, graphics will be closer of "photo-realistic" than we expect.

what kind of revamp do you want? They measured everything down to the width of a guard rail for all the tracks in GT4 to make sure the tracks are as close to 100% realistic as possible. At this point all they can do is add better textures and lighting... which they have done, for GT5P. Maybe 3D trees and better grass, but that's really to appease the people who don't actually get GT to drive, but to stop and nitpick.

A revamp is only needed when the object in question is a piece of crap, something which GT4 tracks are not. Revamping for the sake of revamping will only waste everyone's time. If you thought Suzuka looked insanely good before, don't let the fact that it's "basically a PS2 game track with upscaled textures" make you think it looks bad, because you'll only be doing a disservice to yourself.

Well they could update the tracks (or at least the tracks that have changed). Would be cool if you could see the building cranes at the GP circuit when your racing the Nurburgring :) And yeah the tree's could use a update aswell.

That video was really entertaining to me while i was drinking a beer 8am in the morning after a 12 hour work shift... *burP*

Anyways, I believe PD is doing everything they can for the release of GT5 by the final days of 2009; whether it being full or not. Because of course there is a new feature the PS3 can do call: online UPDATE.

They should give us a final update of GT5P, a special car not included in GT5. It can be just a normal car with new paint job or sticker. Like a thank you for playing note for all the fans. But I am still happy for having GT5P anyway.

The only thing that is going to be updated is in the News section saying: BUY YOURSELF A PRESENT...GO BUY GT5!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic news, time of day transitions are also more appealing to me than damage, rain sounds interesting but I suspect I'll hate it. Exciting in any case.

Hey guys!

I am from Austria and my language is german so thought i translate some facts from that pdf data!

- The One Guy of that interview is the GermanManager of Polyphony Digitals “GT Explore Studio” in Germany for Gran Turismo 5
- For designing the R8 Polyphony sent 20 technicians und designers to Audi which made about 800 Pictures of the car. For making the lightning as real as possible they even delivered the Headlights from germany to Japan
- For the sound Polyphony Digital took the R8 to a “acoustic proofing station” to record the sound in every idling position. When you accelerate the virtual R8 it feels just like fearing as in the real one
- In Future they will become more realistic
- Maybe that’s about GT4: 700 Cars and 50 Tracks
- There will be new tuning Options
- At a few parts of the Nordschleife the sun is blinding the driver while on other parts the cockpit overcomes with shadows
- The trees are looking absolutely real
- When a driver in front of you takes off the track sand is flying against the windscreen

Sorry for my bad school English ;)

Good news! Little pieces of information are slowly coming our way. Waiting for Gt5 make me go crazy, but I love it :D

Dynamic weather is the news I’ve been waiting for :). Much more important then damage (IMO).

Fantastic news, time of day transitions are also more appealing to me than damage, rain sounds interesting but I suspect I'll hate it. Exciting in any case.

Agreed 👍

I can't wait for some good endurance races now.

He says "Damage to racing cars" - this could be the cars racing, or race cars. We don't know. He's said only race cars get damage before, but he's also said there was only a few manufacturers left that didn't want damage on their cars - and that's a long time ago!

We'll know in 3 weeks at E3.

Besides, if only race cars get damage, that's still something. Could be for some special pro races or something. But I really seriously hope all of them have damage.

He says "Damage to racing cars" - this could be the cars racing, or race cars. We don't know.
Haha you're lying to yourself, of course he is saying racecars-cars which are racing-haha. Look from the translation it says very directly racecars and not cars which are racing. I'm German as you can see in my account so you can bet on it that i translated this part for you correctly, and not only me there was another good translation of the whole interview only 1 or 2 sites before-look it up.:)

Hey guys!

I am from Austria and my language is german so thought i translate some facts from that pdf data!

First of all thank you for the extra translated details

For making the lightning as real as possible they even delivered the Headlights from germany to Japan

Indeed, and here it is in the PD studio in Japan (Audi R8 headlight)

3522544890_8ebc299b5d_o.jpg

This picture is taken from the 'Beyond the Apex' video.

Someone at Sony must be getting pretty twitchy at the budget that GT5 is likely racking up with all this detail...

The rain effect is the one that interests me the most; seeing rain splatter on the windscreen and having the wipers going full blast is kinda cool.

Someone at Sony must be getting pretty twitchy at the budget that GT5 is likely racking up with all this detail...

Well the GT series is SONY's biggest gaming franchise, so its expected to make a fair bit in the way of sales. Also, GT5 should potential shift consoles, so a good deal of money is set to be made for SONY long term.

Besides, if only race cars get damage, that's still something. Could be for some special pro races or something. But I really seriously hope all of them have damage.

after all those years without damage and they would add damage only to race cars? Than i dont think we will ever see damaged road cars in GT series :ouch:

and here would go the "why other racing games can" again :ill:

Back