• Thread starter Jondot
  • 38 comments
United Kingdom
Kent, UK
GTP_Jondot
...and the interior doesn't look bad either

MGMotor-MG6-841010323479921600x1060.jpg

MGMotor-841010324331521600x1060.jpg

Autocar took it up some Welsh mountain roads and chucked it about - apparently the handling is on par with the Focus, if not better. They weren't fans of the interior quality, but from what I can see it looks like a more stylish 3 Series one. All they need to do is have a rethink about the materials, I'd say.

Unfortunately they're still using a (reworked, admittedly) wheezy old Rover K Series, but at least they've stuck a turbo on it for a little extra oomph. But anyway, excellent news and very surprising. It'd be quite nice for an MG to actually be good for a change.

What an awkward looking car. It looks like someone smushed its face in. I don't hate it, but I don't know something seems off with it.

Reminds of the Nissan Primera. Which is a bad thing.

33_Primera.jpg

As long as it's priced reasonably (cheaper than a Focus equivalent) then it could sell quite well. It's got an MG badge though.

mg6_4.jpg

Last edited:
The side profile is abit 5-series GT.

But otherwise, looks half decent. Handles quite well. But Rover K-series? C'mon, they could have beg, stole and borrowed any number of engines to put in there.

I read about this a few weeks back, I was pleasantly surprised, it's nice to see something worthwhile come out of all of the feuds that happened to MG Rover in it's last days in the UK.

Could it be any more plain?

Also, a K Series? Head Gasket Fail fail.

Could it be any more plain?

Also, a K Series? Head Gasket Fail fail.

Mmm, that was my immediate concern. But it's a 'reworked' one. 'Reworked' here hopefully meaning 'fixed'.

I don't think it looks that bad to be honest. A bit like a Primera on a diet. I don't think it's going to be a Focus rival in anything beyond handling, but considering this'll be cheapy-cheap it's already looking far more appealing than a Proton Gen2 or something. Well it is to me anyway.

From the front, I was thinking Kia Forte. Overall, not a bad looking car. Interestingly, both have exteriors and interiors that look rather good, a suspension tune that is surprisingly exciting, but really come up short in the engine department. Huh.

A new MG 550 was released a while back which is basically this car with an entirely different body for other markets. I guess they decided to overhaul the look for the EU market because thats where competition is going to be fierce.

I have to say that I don't think the MG6 looks all the great, it certianly doesnt have any exsisting MG DNA which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think it needs to look more aggressive. Right now it looks like a Mazda 2 / Proton front with a Prius esque side profile.

I prefered the look of the MG 550 which had a Scirocco front and a Lexus / Toyota rear. The interior is nice and hasnt changed.

mg1wx8.jpg

mg7ca9.jpg

mg8wn0.jpg

news2008100706zj4.jpg

Robin.

I have to say that I don't think the MG6 looks all the great, it certianly doesnt have any exsisting MG DNA which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think it needs to look more aggressive. Right now it looks like a Mazda 2 / Proton front with a Prius esque side profile.
Robin.
When I think MG design, I think tarted up Rover 400 and 200. The MG TF wasn't much better, IMO.
But how will this go against the new Focus?
It'll undercut it, massively. Atleast it should. If it is only half-a-yard short on every performance parameter but engines then it could do well.

When I think MG design, I think tarted up Rover 400 and 200. The MG TF wasn't much better, IMO.

I understand what you mean but you didnt think the final facelifted MG ZT/75 looked quite good?

rover.gif

And what about the SV?

Robin.

I understand what you mean but you didnt think the final facelifted MG ZT looked quite good?

*snip*

And what about the SV?

Robin.
I was a big fan of both infact. My neighbour briefly had a ZT while his 75 was being reparied.

But it's the ZS, ZR and TF you see mostly on the roads. And I think what most people would associate with the latest of MG design.

To be fair to MG, those facelifts weren't really their fault. Considering they were told to redesign the entire Rover lineup without altering any metalwork and for a budget of 30p, I don't think they did too badly.

2005-mg-zs.jpg

That's not that bad is it? Reminds me of the Lotus Carlton in fact.

To be honest I think there was some talent hidden away at MG Rover in the last few years - it's just that due to lack of money they couldn't use any of it beyond tarting up what were essentially early 90s Hondas. Maybe now some of it will start appearing again.

Again, good point, but nothing from those years leant to a "DNA" or a design style or history to be proud of.

I'm more than happy for MG to start their design from scratch and completely forget about the tarted up Rovers they've had to deal with.

I was actually quite a fan of the reworked MGs, and when they were released they received a lot of positive press. I can even remember the ZS and "best handling FWD" being mentioned in the same sentence more than once, which was stunning progress from the slightly wobbly Rover 45 it was based on. And the V6 ones sound great, the ZS was a properly good sports saloon. As was the ZT, which also received praise.

The F/TF always did fairly well in tests too, especially after the TF got proper springs rather than the hydrolastic suspension the F had. Autocar were particularly happy with it, I seem to remember. That car's main problems were an iffy K-Series engine, and an iffy driving position. Styling-wise I reckon it looked pretty good, though not quite up there with the MX5. I'd go as far as saying it was a prettier design than the last-gen MR2, though I'd still pick the Toyota overall.

As for the MG6, I read the Autocar article in the magazine. I too was pleased to hear that it handles well, though I'd say the author was being a little harsh on the MG-ified Rovers, as Autocar themselves commended each one of those cars for very good handling and certainly for being fun. It's a little bit of a shame when you see inconsistencies with articles like that, although in fairness the MGs might not be particularly good by today's standards.

MG are back! As you may know, I am a big MG and Rover fan, hence my name (X-Power was MG's racing brand). I like the MG 6, this is the car that will hopefully put MG back on the map... did you know, some Brits don't even know MG are alive, let's hope this car shows them that MG are very much alive.

From what I've read, the MG 6 handles good, but comparing an MG to a Focus is insulting to MG... I guess MG aren't as sporty as they once were. The interior looks fantastic and I like the exterior design, the shape is very reminiscent of the Rover 800 fastback. What is even better is that this was designed and engineered in the UK by former MG-Rover workers. I fancy owning one in a few years.

From what I've read, the MG 6 handles good, but comparing an MG to a Focus is insulting to MG... I guess MG aren't as sporty as they once were.

Not really, given that pretty much every Ford at the moment has the best handling/ride balance in their respective class and are a target that more than a few manufacturers benchmark when developing new models. To be compared to the Focus, or even acclaimed for bettering the Focus, is a massively positive step.

The previous MGs were good, as I mentioned in my previous post, but I suspect even back then they wouldn't have had the mix of ride and handling that the Focus has. The ZS was more than likely more fun than the Ford (I remember reading a test where it beat the ST170 at the time) but suspect the ride wasn't as good. The ZT was good at what it does but not the most incisive machine compared to say, a BMW. The 25-based ZR, despite all the changes MG Rover made, was only ever average (despite what legions of 17-25 year olds would insist). The MGF was always a bit wallowy (but very comfy) until they gave it steel springs.

It's worth remembering that MG's history too is so much more than brightly-painted hot hatches. MGBs, Midgets and the like have always been about the all-round experience, which isn't necessarily about outright handling. Ditto the Magnette - a big, comfy saloon (a bit like the Rover 75), but with a sporting edge. The MG ZT was probably the closest to MG's true identity than the others were. The MG6 probably is too, if it's as comfy as it is a good handler.

To be compared to the Focus, or even acclaimed for bettering the Focus, is a massively positive step.

It's interesting to note... that in numerous reviews from markets where the Mark 2 or Mark 2.5 Focus are available, that new compact cars are either compared to the Focus in the text, or put up against an actual Focus in a head-to-head.

It's the BMW 3-series of econocars... the class benchmark.

And it has been ever since the Focus Mk1. Focus and Golf stand on a pedestal above all other compact cars, albeit for different reasons. You're benchmarking handling and ride? That'll be the Focus. Comfort, quality, build? Better take the Golf.

That said, the lines have been blurred in recent years as it's actually difficult to choose a car that isn't very good in that class now. But the Ford and VW still rule. MG will have a lot of work to do, still. Especially since their image needs carefully nurturing after years of "old timer" and "chav" depending on the camp in which you sit have eaten away at the brand.

A sports version concept of the MG6 has been unveiled in China at the Chengdu Motor Show. It might come here as an X-Power range topper.

TEIN-MG6-1.jpg

m_20100917153928517683.jpg

124923676.jpg

MG6-desktop.jpg

124923673.jpg

124923680.jpg

The normal MG6 will be launched early 2010 with the full spec and prices announced in November. The press are expecting it to be very affordable (around £15,000) for the size of car and because it has an MG badge that might sway you away from Kia and Hyundai offerings.

I have to say I'm starting to want one, If they had it in a 2 door version I would buy it straight away!

Robin.

Back