Battlefield 2

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 2,033 comments
The same thing happened to me with Special Forces...misplaced my key, and after uninstalling (because of the stupid 1.3 patch) I couldn't reinstall.

Ok the new patch has not solved my start-up problem, so it looks like I may have to reformat my PC.

The same thing happened to me with Special Forces...misplaced my key, and after uninstalling (because of the stupid 1.3 patch) I couldn't reinstall.

What did you do?

I hope the manual hasn't been thrown out by accident. It's probably in my room somewhere, but it's gonna be really hard to find. :grumpy:

Well I don't have SF installed anymore...:| Nothing to help me, I'm not gonna buy it again either (definitely not worth my money).

My game still runs with the patch but it lags when a new map loads... Anyway here are some screenshots

My best, chopper whoring...

Ownage, in a chopper...

Someone is hacking...

Btw, I'm a Second Lieutenant, I have like 66,000 points.

I'll be playing this game again when I get a new PC. I'm getting 30fps on low, 800x600 when online. :(

Does the game crash when you go on a server or just when you load up the game? If it crashes when you go on a server then maybe you should just switch to a different server, that solved the problem for me.

Hey, I've been playing BF2 for a week or two now, and its an awesome game, but I have a question. Why are the guns so naff? I don't mean to look at, I mean in the damage they do, and how they hit. Snipers don't snipe, SAWS don't SAW, and ARs are well, a joke. Is there some secret when it comes to hitting someone? I say this because it seems that it is almost impossible to hit anything with a gun on full automatic or even burst fire. I've actually watched the spread as I fire at a wall, and the bullets seem to hit every where but where I aim. The other night, I was camped down an alley, and I saw a guy come around a corner some distance away, so I aimed up, and squeezed the trigger in small bursts - It seemed to me like I was firing blanks! I had a clear 2 second shooting opportunity at him, and nothing hit him at all! In that time he managed to dodge all the rounds, drop to the floor, and kill me! WTF??

I'm not new FPS either, I play Americas Army regularly (I've got a 39 honour level character), and whilst its not any easier hitting targets on full automatic in that game, it can be done, and the spread is never as wild as anything I have seen on BF2. Even using the SAW (Which both games have), the BF2 version seems to be total crap compared to the AA version. Why is this? Generally, if I shoot at a target, I hit it. Not so in BF2. :( I've litterally stood infront of a guy (no more than 5 or ten feet away, and fired the SAW on full auto and missed the guy totally. It beggars belief! I've also been playing the singleplayer mode too to try and learn how to aim, but it doesn't seem to be intuitive. Has anyone got any ideas?

Hey, I've been playing BF2 for a week or two now, and its an awesome game, but I have a question. Why are the guns so naff? I don't mean to look at, I mean in the damage they do, and how they hit. Snipers don't snipe, SAWS don't SAW, and ARs are well, a joke. Is there some secret when it comes to hitting someone? I say this because it seems that it is almost impossible to hit anything with a gun on full automatic or even burst fire. I've actually watched the spread as I fire at a wall, and the bullets seem to hit every where but where I aim. The other night, I was camped down an alley, and I saw a guy come around a corner some distance away, so I aimed up, and squeezed the trigger in small bursts - It seemed to me like I was firing blanks! I had a clear 2 second shooting opportunity at him, and nothing hit him at all! In that time he managed to dodge all the rounds, drop to the floor, and kill me! WTF??

I'm not new FPS either, I play Americas Army regularly (I've got a 39 honour level character), and whilst its not any easier hitting targets on full automatic in that game, it can be done, and the spread is never as wild as anything I have seen on BF2. Even using the SAW (Which both games have), the BF2 version seems to be total crap compared to the AA version. Why is this? Generally, if I shoot at a target, I hit it. Not so in BF2. :( I've litterally stood infront of a guy (no more than 5 or ten feet away, and fired the SAW on full auto and missed the guy totally. It beggars belief! I've also been playing the singleplayer mode too to try and learn how to aim, but it doesn't seem to be intuitive. Has anyone got any ideas?

Yeah the guns can seem a bit weak sometimes, but if you want to greatly improve your accuracy then aim down the sights of your gun (right mouse button). Going prone will also imrpove your accuracy.

I'd like to add to El Gigante's comment about BF's weaponry; SAW etc are usually the smaller calibre & hitting body armour, helmets, head-dodging etc.
Automatics are usually for a wide covering assault.
Pistols, knife & grenades all have to be employed to cut a usefull spawn.
I'm really into my snipage, piloting & chopperage now :D

Yeah the guns can seem a bit weak sometimes, but if you want to greatly improve your accuracy then aim down the sights of your gun (right mouse button). Going prone will also imrpove your accuracy.

I always use the iron sights. I've noticed that sometimes when I shoot too, a yellow X appears in the sights, what is that for?

Hey, I've been playing BF2 for a week or two now, and its an awesome game, but I have a question. Why are the guns so naff? I don't mean to look at, I mean in the damage they do, and how they hit. Snipers don't snipe, SAWS don't SAW, and ARs are well, a joke. Is there some secret when it comes to hitting someone?

All the small arms rounds in BF2 have the ballistic qualities of commerical grade rubber.

Versus a target wearing body armor, assault rifles need 4-6 hits to kill, SMGs require 8 and even LMGs need 4-6 hits to down a guy. Of course, a head shot does lots more damage, but as a whole, BF2 small arms are quite 'nerfed'.

A very useful table on BF2 weapons can be found here: http://wiki.bf2s.com/weapons/comparison

The yellow X that appear in the sights is BF2 telling you that you've scored a hit with one or more rounds.

As for improving your accuracy, each weapon requires a slightly different approach. They all require different timing on the trigger and has varied strengths and weaknesses.

The most important thing to understand is that each weapon has an accuracy model for the first shot (called base deviation), then deviates by a certain amount for each subsequent shot (recoil + deviation per shot). Some weapons, like the AK-47 or PKM is fairly accurate with the first round, but due to recoil effects, become quickly inaccurate until you pause for a second.

The most accurate assault rifle in the game is the M16, with a base deviation of 0.3, and lowest average recoil value. Of course, the M16A2 has no full auto mode, a big disadvantage in CQC. The M16 also packs the weakest punch of all assault rifles, needing 6 rounds to kill someone in body armor.

My suggestion is to study the table a little bit and then practice with one weapon at a time until you get comfortable and your K/D ratio goes up. When you feel good about one weapon, move onto the next one.

It's good that you use the iron sights. Also, go prone when at all possible. You mentioned having trouble killing someone with the SAW. Notice in the table that the SAW has double the amount of deviation for standing than the M16. Zoomed + prone is the most accurate firing position.

M

Does the game crash when you go on a server or just when you load up the game? If it crashes when you go on a server then maybe you should just switch to a different server, that solved the problem for me.
The game does not load up at all when patched to the latest version, but BF2 does work when it is patched up to 1.12 and below.

Hey, has anyone played Point Of Existence 2 for BF2? :eek: :drool: Now thats a proper game - talk about chalk and cheese! Guns work properly, The maps are gigantic, and there seems to be less of the 'child-like' randomness of the vanilla BF2. I even got to fly a plane! I know it probably sounds silly, but I've lost count how many times I have been TK'd just waiting for a plane in the week or so I've been playing BF2!

Its not just the mod, its a whole different frame of mind! There seems to be real teamwork, and (for the first time) I have seen the Commander doing his job properly - giving out sound strategic orders. The guys I talked to on squad radio seemed a lot older and more mature than the regular BF2 set too.

If you haven't tried POE yet, do it now - It blows BF2 out of the water! 👍

Wow, I played Sniper today and it was really fun. I never really played it before but it's pretty cool. I spent the whole round on top of a building, I think I only came down to get some ammo. It's a great way to raise your kill/death ratio :D

Hey, has anyone played Point Of Existence 2 for BF2? :eek: :drool: Now thats a proper game - talk about chalk and cheese! Guns work properly, The maps are gigantic, and there seems to be less of the 'child-like' randomness of the vanilla BF2. I even got to fly a plane! I know it probably sounds silly, but I've lost count how many times I have been TK'd just waiting for a plane in the week or so I've been playing BF2!

Its not just the mod, its a whole different frame of mind! There seems to be real teamwork, and (for the first time) I have seen the Commander doing his job properly - giving out sound strategic orders. The guys I talked to on squad radio seemed a lot older and more mature than the regular BF2 set too.

If you haven't tried POE yet, do it now - It blows BF2 out of the water! 👍
I hope when I get BF2 working, POE2 will not mess up my game like PR mod did, but I trust the POE2 team a lot. Anyway I have not played BF2 for about 5 months since the PR mod messed my game up, which the new patch could not fix.

[Prof. Farnsworth]Good news everyone![/Prof. Farnsworth]

I have contacted EA, supplied some details, and they have very kindly given me a new CD key! I'll be back playing online soon!

Yeah that is good news, i was kinda thinking they'd just tell you to get lost :P

Downloaded and played POE2 and it is good. Doesn't really add much to the game in terms of interest though. The guns and vehicles whilst generally being pretty different in looks aren't any better than the originals. I've only played a couple of maps but they aren't exactly amazing either. Guess i was expecting just a little bit more for my 1 gigabyte download. Oh and no singleplayer..

this is my best score ever ( i got it yesterday )

p.s. my global score is 2022

also if you find someone called tabletopsntruckstops that would be mu step dad hes doesnt like it when i got more points than him

oh before i finish the post ill tell you something... my step was behind me like 6 days ago so he banned me ( he was on 1656 then and i was on 1689 ) he played it for 2 days and got up to 1986. then yesterday i had to babysit my younger brother and sister. i start playing it for an horu and a half and i get to 2022. i told him when he got back and he said "how the hell did you do that".

Back