Beam NG Drive

• Thread starter JR98
  • 129 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
325252.jpg
Beam NG Drive is a soft body physics simulation that has a heavy emphasis on vehicle damage. It has quite possibly the best vehicle damage of any game, with cars being able to be completely crushed from crashes. It is available on the Beam NG website and on Steam. It is currently in Early Access. It also has a lot of mods available. It is made by the same people who developed Rigs Of Rods, which is available for free here: http://www.rigsofrods.com/content/

I could've sworn we already have a thread for this but I could be wrong. How is it with a wheel? I'm very curious to try it out but I don't want to spend that much on yet another early access game that may never be completed. Maybe next time I want to buy an expensive game I'll buy this first, try it out, get a refund and think about it or something.

As Jim Sterling taught me, never be fully trustworthy with Early Access or with Greenlight for that matter. That said, the game is shaping up to be pretty good, but not $24.99 Early Access good. I personally think that no Early Access game should be more than $15, unless it has a **** good reason, and a crash simulator isn't it to be honest.

I could've sworn we already have a thread for this but I could be wrong. How is it with a wheel? I'm very curious to try it out but I don't want to spend that much on yet another early access game that may never be completed. Maybe next time I want to buy an expensive game I'll buy this first, try it out, get a refund and think about it or something.
It's alright with a DS4 but unsure how it is with a wheel. It does have gamepad support but am not sure if it has wheel support. It's mainly a crashing simulator but there are scenarios and stuff they've added. I'm not even sure what this will end up being when/if it gets finished. If you go onto the BeamNG website they have a tech demo for it, which is of a much earlier version of the game and only has the Gavril D-Series and a basic testing map. You could also try Rigs Of Rods, as it is completely free and also has loads of mods.

Rig of Rods works on OS X(!) - off I go to try that out. Even better, I found an article where I can use a DS3 to control it.

VXR
Rig of Rods works on OS X(!) - off I go to try that out. Even better, I found an article where I can use a DS3 to control it.
If you get Ver 4.0 you can adjust controls in the game. 0.38 doesn't let you do that.

VXR
Cheers for the heads up.
I'm not sure about the OSX version but you may want to get the 4.0 HQ Pack, adds around 130 vehicles and around 30 or so maps. Not sure if it's included in the OSX version or not. It's just a random assortment of mods.

I'm still keeping an eye on BeamNG. I have played some of the maps in the current build and they are great fun, but all you do is hoon it around, it needs some objectives or even races (though maybe 1 on 1). I agree the price is steep for an unfinished product and they seem to be taking their time over it. That said, I hope it doesn't go the same way as Wreckfest, as I loved the tech demo with all the crazy stunts and ways to pummel your car, but found the eventual demoliton derby/banger racing style a bit lacking. Something resembling the ancient games Stunt Car Racer or Hard Drivin' could have been a lot more fun, or think Trackmania, slowed down a little with the awesome crash physics added.

Rigs of Rods I just didn't get. I found it a very strange game, very hard to control the vehicles, nothing like real life and the crash physics were fun but it seemed way too easy to twist your wheels off or whatnot. I guess I should give it another go.

Last edited:
Strangely, ever since the game went Early Access on Steam I haven't been able to get it to work anymore.

Why? Details?

Also, I got BeamNG for free from the developer :). I guess thats a reward for doing BeamNG, older brother Rigs of Rods a new trailer.

A new car will be added to Beam NG in the next update and seems to be based off the Subaru BRZ/Audi TT.

Nice rear engine design, not unlike a modern interpretation of the old Alpine GTA.

I've practically spent all my time on this game abusing the crap out of cars, such as giving them the gravity of the sun.

This is very promising tech, & I have the utmost respect for what the devs are doing. However, at the moment all the cars seem to be made out of very wobbly plastic & not metal.

Decided to buy it and my PC can barely run it. On the absolute lowest graphics I get 20-30 FPS on the most basic level (the same one as the demo) and it can't even load any of the main levels. Geuss I'm waiting til I get my new PC before playing this properly.

Decided to buy it and my PC can barely run it. On the absolute lowest graphics I get 20-30 FPS on the most basic level (the same one as the demo) and it can't even load any of the main levels. Geuss I'm waiting til I get my new PC before playing this properly.

Yeah the game is poorly optimised at the moment, I can barely hold 60fps with "normal" settings with an i5 4690 + GTX970.

Yeah the game is poorly optimised at the moment, I can barely hold 60fps with "normal" settings with an i5 4690 + GTX970.

Well they did switch to DX11, if i recall, but even so. BeamnG isnt the most optimized. However, it is better optimized then Rigs of Rods persay.

I'm at 50FPS-60FPS on GTX770, i7 4770k :\

I love tha my car is now in the game XD (2007 Impala). Feels kind of weird to destroy it when I take so much care of it in real life.

Fun game. Still needs a lot of work though.

Just bought it, and I find it suprisingly addictive. The only thing I don't like is how gamepad works here. There's no speed sensitivity for the steering joystick (by default, at least), so the front wheels steer at full range on any speed, causing understeer (if you aren't very cafeful with it) and making you slide off the road and hug a nearby tree.

Does it have a proper wheel support? My DFGT is currently a little away from the PC...

Just bought it, and I find it suprisingly addictive. The only thing I don't like is how gamepad works here. There's no speed sensitivity for the steering joystick (by default, at least), so the front wheels steer at full range on any speed, causing understeer (if you aren't very cafeful with it) and making you slide off the road and hug a nearby tree.

Does it have a proper wheel support? My DFGT is currently a little away from the PC...

Yes

Yet another car has been added to Beam NG. The ETK 800.

It is a German executive wagon that seems to be based off the BMW 5 Series.

Back