Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Bulgari Vision Gran Turismo Set For World Finals Reveal, December 3

Coming hot on the heels of the announcement of the Genesis Vision Gran Turismo unveiling at the Gran Turismo World Final this coming weekend, we now have news of a second VGT that will share the stage — from luxury fashion brand Bulgari...

Again I’d love to hear all the discussions behind closed doors for these things.

I am fully aware this doesn’t detract from any possible real-world car models. But, so many things with PD are so bizarre - I just want to hear the justification. I’m not hating, just so curious.

First thought: WTH is Bvlgari?!

So it's a jewelry place... ummmm, okay.
There was a brief spell in the early-00s where Bulgari made it into every film, for some reason. The most obvious ones were Mission Impossible II (Thandiwe Newton's character steals a Bulgari necklace as a plot point) and the beginning of Ocean's 12 where Isabel is discussing "the Bulgari Heist" with her boyfriend Rusty (who perpetrated it). It pretty much went back to adorning the necks of leading ladies on the red carpet after that.

Also just announced: the Balenciaga Vision GT!

1701099800882.png

Just in case..: THIS IS A JOKE.

Very interesting! First the Dior Mangusta, now this? I’d love to see a SuperDry or PacSun VGT at this point.
Bulgari, Dior and Tag Heuer who were in partnership with GT Sport are all part of the LVMH conglomerate, who own a large number of luxury goods companies. So who knows what other collabs might be coming in the future? A mode that allows you to race a shopping trolley around a department store as a track maybe?

Last edited:
I just want to hear the justification. I’m not hating, just so curious.
I'd suggest cross promotion to create brand awareness among a potentially shared demographic. Might seem like a random selection of partner, but if Sony have disclosed the demographic of GT's audience to Bulgari/LVMH, and they've looked at it and said, yes this a group of people we're trying to reach (and/or potentially vice versa, but that seems less likely to me), then they can do a deal.

It's not like we don't see fashion advertising in motorsport.

1701101625739.png

Wish PD would do something like a Gran Turismo Vision but for race tracks. Like a vision of what futuristic race tracks might look like. I'd get a heck of a lot more use out of a new race track than these futuristic cars.
It’s a lot more manageable and marketable for Bulgari to design a car than it would for them to design a track.

I forgot to multi-quote but as far as Bulgari reaching potential customers through Gran Turismo…It seems less like real world demographic research and more projection of what Kaz/PD/Sony wants the demographic to be. Which, considering the pretentiousness of the “Hagerty Collection” and “Brand Invites” it fits right in line.

It’s a lot more manageable and marketable for Bulgari to design a car than it would for them to design a track.

I forgot to multi-quote but as far as Bulgari reaching potential customers through Gran Turismo…It seems less like real world demographic research and more projection of what Kaz/PD/Sony wants the demographic to be. Which, considering the pretentiousness of the “Hagerty Collection” and “Brand Invites” it fits right in line.
Agreed. The people bitching about paying $60 for GT7 aren't the target market for $150k necklaces and $85k handbags.

I’m not hating, just so curious.
I'm absolutely hating it.

Wish PD would do something like a Gran Turismo Vision but for race tracks. Like a vision of what futuristic race tracks might look like. I'd get a heck of a lot more use out of a new race track than these futuristic cars.
I mean, some of their original tracks might fit that bill, I guess?

There's some weird geometry logic going on with Lago Maggiore and Saint Croix feels very weird in some places, but of them are marvels to look at which leads me to believe that those are "dream-like" race tracks.

Agreed. The people bitching about paying $60 for GT7 aren't the target market for $150k necklaces and $85k handbags.
I think this is a very narrow view.

GT is a hardware mover, just because some people are butt-hurt and entitled about the game's price, doesn't mean you're looking at a demographic bereft of disposable wedge - If you're spending £500 on a console, £500 on a wheel, £200 on a rig, to go with your £1000 TV, or maybe your £500 VR system, there's a good chance you have disposable income in the Bulgari price bracket. A family ticket to a Grand Prix or similar is thousands, go to Goodwood, or Le Mans, look at the brands people are wearing, look at the people retailing there - these aren't budget events for people who only buy budget brands.

I've only been into a Bulgari once, unsurprisingly because my girlfriend was attracted to the shiny things in the window, but if I didn't know much about the brand, and needed a present for a girlfriend that liked shiny things - there's worse times to be dropping a cross promotion in the game I play the most (using hardware that cost me £1000's), than the month before Christmas.

I think this is a very narrow view.

GT is a hardware mover, just because some people are butt-hurt and entitled about the game's price, doesn't mean you're looking at a demographic bereft of disposable wedge - If you're spending £500 on a console, £500 on a wheel, £200 on a rig, to go with your £1000 TV, or maybe your £500 VR system, there's a good chance you have disposable income in the Bulgari price bracket. A family ticket to a Grand Prix or similar is thousands, go to Goodwood, or Le Mans, look at the brands people are wearing, look at the people retailing there - these aren't budget events for people who only buy budget brands.

I've only been into a Bulgari once, unsurprisingly because my girlfriend was attracted to the shiny things in the window, but if I didn't know much about the brand, and needed a present for a girlfriend that liked shiny things - there's worse times to be dropping a cross promotion in the game I play the most (using hardware that cost me £1000's), than the month before Christmas.
Well, if someone already has the income to buy a setup for GT7, they'd definitely have better taste and buy something as expensive but better than a Bvlgari watch.

Well, if someone already has the income to buy a setup for GT7, they'd definitely have better taste and buy something as expensive but better than a Bvlgari watch.
Not sure if sarcasm or mental gymnastics in order to complain about VGT's, but it's pretty much irrelevant. You are confusing cost, taste and quality - taste is not objective and pretty much anything fashionable relies on rinsing the customer for more it's actually worth.

Wow we're getting a bugatti VGT?!!!!!
....wait
Again I’d love to hear all the discussions behind closed doors for these things.

I am fully aware this doesn’t detract from any possible real-world car models. But, so many things with PD are so bizarre - I just want to hear the justification. I’m not hating, just so curious.
PD Offices back in 2003:
Kaz:wouldn't it be cool to build a Nike car?
PD devs: yeah!

I guess it's a similar story for most of these deals.
Maybe it starts with Sony,i know SpiderMan 2 had a suit that was designed by Nike

Last edited:
This is a game franchise that included Aston Martin, in its first hit. Next, added Ruf. Then, had special BMW one off discs, in BMW showrooms. This been going on for a long time. Seiko, Tag Heuer. I mean, Sony built their own daggone car. Google looking to build a car. Apple. In an age where people shop cars to pair with their phones, having a jewellery maker, not just in the game, but with their own car, why not?

Someone, somewhere, is going to flash their watch with this car. Imagine if the Real VGT is built.

PD have been putting concept cars into their games since GT1. Makes me wonder if people who buy the GT games know who PD are. There's literally nothing new or surprising about this.
There's a difference between a real concept car made by a real car company to be showcased in real life auto salons like Geneva and Detroit and a 3D model car made by a luxury goods company to appear in a game that boast itself for being the real driving simulator IMO.

I'm not saying it is bad (we haven't seen it yet) I'm just saying that between the latest Mazda Iconic SP and the Bvlgari VGT, I'd happily chose the first one instead

If the car is priced like their jewelry or handbagss, might this be the first car on GT history to exceed 20m?
I can see it now . . .

Dooney & Bourke Miata
Lancer Evolution X by Gloria Vanderbilt
RCZ by Ooo . . . la-la . . . SASOON.
Mustang GT Jordache Edition.
McLaren MP12-C 7-11

Ok, I'll see myself out . . .

GT has become advertisement space, available for the “right” partner (read: pays enough and “premium” enough)

Motorsport has always needed sponsors and the sponsorship is without doubt greatly appreciated because Motorsport is not possible without, it helps those who aren’t born rich to have a chance in the sport.

But, the difference is in Motorsport the funds help a driver or team exist that would otherwise not be possible.

But in this case Sony/Pd are using product placement as source of revenue that I’m not sure benefits gamers.

Perhaps I’m wrong and we DO get more budget that is invested in the game. But the trajectory the franchise is in makes me think this is about maximising profits.

I hope the devs get paid well, but somehow I doubt it. This is a Japanese company we are talking about and they have a reputation for paying devs/artists badly.

Last edited:
Back