College Basketball: 2022-2023 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 67 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Basketball is an exciting, fast-paced sport. While pro basketball has its superstars, collegiate basketball offers up the down-home appeal of basketball along with some of the calamity that makes it exciting. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the various tournaments in college basketball- especially in March. Over 300+ colleges and universities will compete among themselves trying to be the kings and queens of college basketball. Unlike college football, college basketball rankings doesn't guarantee you anything towards the postseason. So you can afford to stumble. Just don't stumble with regularity. If you are familiar with college football, there are schools you may have never heard of because they are non football schools- such as St. John's, Providence, Detroit, Loyola-Chicago, Wichita State, Denver, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, San Francisco, and Gonzaga among others. Who will this season's champions be? It's time to start a new college basketball thread here on GTPlanet!

Let's begin with the preseason poll in NCAA Division 1. Here are the preseason rankings:

--- AP Top 25 - Preseason, Men ---
01: North Carolina
02: Gonzaga
03: Houston
04: Kentucky
05: Kansas and Baylor (tied; KAN = defending Men's Champions)
07: Duke
08: UCLA
09: Crieghton
10: Arkansas
11: Tennessee
12: Texas
13: Indiana
14: TCU
15: Auburn
16: Villanova
17: Arizona
18: Virginia
19: San Diego State
20: Alabama
21: Oregon
22: Michigan
23: Illinois
24: Dayton
25: Texas Tech

--- AP Top 25 - Preseason, Women ---
01: South Carolina (defending Champions)
02: Stanford
03: Texas
04: Iowa
05: Tennessee
06: Connecticut
07: Louisville
08: Iowa State
09: Notre Dame
10: North Carolina State
11: Indiana
12: North Carolina
13: Virginia Tech
14: Ohio State
15: Oklahoma
16: LSU
17: Maryland
18: Baylor
19: Arizona
20: Oregon
21: Creighton
22: Nebraska
23: South Dakota State
24: Princeton
25: Michigan

Enjoy the 2022-2023 season!

The Big XII reportedly is interested in adding Gonzaga University to the conference. As you know, the Big XII has all of its members in the major sports. Gonzaga, though, does NOT have a football program unlike the other schools in the Big XII. They currently are in the West Coast Conference- also a non-football conference. The Gonzaga Bulldogs haven't had football since the 1940s. So this is a move in basketball and maybe certain other sports. The Big XII would have schools in all four time zones in the lower 48 United States if this deal actually came true. Gonzaga University is a religious (Jesuit, I believe) non-football school based in Spokane, Washington. Conferences nationwide have gone from being mostly regional to expanding outward beyond their initial markets. This would be big for the Big XII's appeal if this move happened. Gonzaga would have much better opposition in the Big XII than in its current WCC. Have to wonder how all of this would play out, if it does...

Running up the score is often discouraged in most sports. Some teams simply are far and away better, such as when in women's hoops that the Norfolk State [Lady] Spartans defeated the [Lady] Dragons of Virginia-Lynchburg 125-19. This conversation comes up because of the Bryant Bulldogs in men's basketball defeating the Thomas College Terriers (NCAA Division 3 school) 147-39 recently. I doubt either of these wins will make these respective schools locks for March Madness.

College basketball is back, so enjoy it, GTPlaneteers!

Last edited:
HEADS UP!

The State Farm Champions Classic is underway, and a familiar face returns to commentary- Dick Vitale! Dickie V is back, baby! The Champions Classic tonight includes four teams in two matches:

• #4 Kentucky vs. Michigan State (on right now as of the time of this post)
  • #6 Kansas vs. #7 Duke

Enjoy these games as well as any other college basketball action you're interested in!

After defeating #6 Gonzaga last night, Purdue will be looking to go to 6-0 when they face #8 Duke in the Phil Knight Legacy Championship game tomorrow. I've been impressed with the team despite their loss of many big name players after last season. Big man Zach Edey has stepped up become one of the best centers in all of college basketball.

Man. Purdue balling of late. It would be huge for the Boilermakers to pull this one off against Duke.

As for my beloved University of Houston, the Cougars came into today 5-0 and are currently taking on Kent State at the time of this post.

Last edited:
Purdue continued to ball defeating Duke by 19 points. I wonder how far up the rankings they will move after the huge wins. They currently sit at #24 and are 6-0 on the season. :dopey:

It was 75-56 as the No. 24 Purdue Boilermakers won the men's Phil Knight Legacy Championship against the No. 8 Duke Blue Devils. These are not the classic Coach K Duke teams, but they are still plenty capable. Purdue remains unbeaten so far this 2022-2023 season. So cheers to Dolph Drago's Boilermakers!

My No. 3 Houston Cougars also remain undefeated so far.

I find it hard to believe Louisville is winless. Louisville, usually one of the better basketball schools in the nation, is currently 0-6. Yikes! They have lost to Bellarmine, Wright State, Appalachian State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, and Cincinnati. Their next game is against No. 22 Maryland. And if you think the Louisville Cardinals are having a brutal season, their stats are even worse. Check this out- according to Yahoo! Sports, they are 333rd in Field Goal Percentage, 300th in the nation in 3-point percentage, 348th in points scored, and 332nd in total rebounds. Ouch. Oh, and in case you're wondering, Louisville meets Kentucky on New Year's Eve at Kentucky.

Louisville's Next five games (no dates listed):
  • #22 Maryland
  • Miami (FL)
  • at Florida State
  • Western Kentucky
  • Florida A&M

Tough times in Louisville this season so far.

Let's see how some of our schools by some of us GTPlaneteers are doing so far...

* My Houston Cougars are No. 1 in the men's rankings. Houston is 6-0 in men's hoops. Houston is unranked and 1-5 in women's hoops.

* Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers are 5th in the men's rankings, sitting at 6-0. Purdue's women's team is doing very well also, currently 6-1 and unranked in women's hoops.

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats are No. 19 in the nation in men's hoops at 4-2. The Kentucky Lady Wildcats are 5-1 and unranked in women's hoops.

* Joey D's Oakland Golden Grizzlies are 2-6 in men's hoops and unranked. The Lady Golden Grizzlies are 3-3 and unranked in women's hoops.

I've tried to get some of the GTP regulars to this discussion and also remembering favorite teams among them. We can always use more college hoops fans, so get in on this!

Purdue remains undefeated with a 65-62 victory at Nebraska. The Boilermakers needed Overtime to try to stay undefeated.

Houston, however, got taken down. Yep- DOWN GOES HOUSTON! :( No. 8 downs No. 1 Houston 71-65 here in Houston. I'm expecting Houston to stay in the Top 10. I'd be surprised if they remain in the Top 5. Houston kept missing too many shots in the 2nd half and let Alabama come roaring back. Typical ESPN/ABC jinxing of Houston teams.

Darned shame. Then again, college basketball is a much different animal from college football.

Last edited:
Purdue remains undefeated with a 65-62 victory at Nebraska. The Boilermakers needed Overtime to try to stay undefeated.
It was a stressful game to watch. Purdue never saw a deficit, actually leading by 14 at one point, until less than a minute left in the game. They pulled it out, though. Freshman Fletcher Loyer played out of his mind while putting up 22 points.

Sorry to hear about Houston. Alabama is no slouch, so Houston can still hold their heads up.

Last edited:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-jumps-undefeated-virginia-in-ap-top-25-poll/

Well, @JohnBM01, it looks like our boys switched spots. The loss to Alabama dropped Houston to #5. Still in a great place, though. Meanwhile, Purdue is in the #1 spot for only the second time in school history. Last year was the first time they got there. Unfortunately it only lasted 1 week as they were defeated the very next game. Hopefully they can keep it longer this time.

College basketball is fierce, mates.

Meanwhile... some rough times of late for a school about three hours west of Houston- the University of Texas-Austin. Their head coach, Chris Beard was arrested for a domestic violence incident. He has been suspended by the University of Texas.

The No. 5 University of Houston accomplished something they have never done before in men's hoops. They defeated a Top 2 AP Poll team when they won 69-61 at No. 2 Virginia. They were 0-7 all-time prior to this. This makes it two straight wins for the Houston Cougars after winning against North Carolina A&T in their first game after being upset by Alabama.

A few musings coming up...

* Davidson took Purdue to the limit, but Dolph Drago's Boilermakers remain undefeated by winning 69-61.

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats, however, were not as fortunate today. The No. 13 Kentucky Wildcats fell 63-53 to the No. 16 UCLA Bruins.

* Alabama is singing the blues today, as No. 4 Alabama fell to the No. 15 Gonzaga Bulldogs at home. Crimson Tide couldn't get another big win since they knocked off my beloved Houston Cougars.

* Currently undefeated men's teams at the time of this post: Purdue, UConn, Mississippi State, New Mexico, and Utah State. I may or may not have missed some in this semi-casual post.

College basketball is bonkers, mates.

Last edited:
Your AP Top 10 in men's hoops:

(! = undefeated)

1: Purdue
2: Connecticut!
3: Houston
4: Kansas
5: Arizona
6: Texas
7: Tennessee
8: Alabama
9: Arkansas
10: Gonzaga

Of these Top 10 teams, Gonzaga has the most losses (3). Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats are all the way down in 19th in the Top 25. North Carolina is back in the Top 25 after being Preseason No. 1. With conference play about to get underway, the competition is going to get tougher.

A few musings are coming up before I talk about how some of our teams are doing.

* Chris Beard has been fired. The now ex-coach of the University of Texas Longhorns was let go after his domestic abuse incident.

* How would you feel about delaying a game... because of having no uniforms? Well, that's what Texas A&M dealt with as their uniforms were still at a hotel when the Aggies were at the Florida Gators. The game started with a Technical Foul assessed to TAMU for delaying the game. Despite this fail, the Aggies still won 66-63 at Florida.

* It was a rough time for Purdue a few days ago. The No. 1 Boilermakers fell at home to Rutgers 65-64. Purdue still remains No. 1 as of the time of this post despite losing to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

Now for a look at how our teams are doing right now. I'll try to remember as many different schools us GTPlaneteers root for. So here's how things are going as of the time of this post (source: Yahoo! Sports):

• Houston (Men: 14-1, 1st in AAC) (Women: 4-10, 1st in AAC)
  • Purdue: (Men: 13-1, 1st in Big Ten) (Women: 11-3, 7th in Big Ten)
  • Kentucky (Men: 10-4, 6th in SEC) (Women: 8-6, 10th in SEC)
  • Oakland (Men: 4-11, 4th in Horizon League) (Women: 6-7, 8th in Horizon League)
  • Rutgers (Men: 10-4, 4th in Big Ten) (Women: 6-10, 12th in Big Ten)
  • Fordham (Men: 12-3, 12th in Atlantic 10) (Women: 10-5, 1st in Atlantic 10)
  • New Jersey Institute of Technology (Men: 3-11, 5th in America East) (Women: 7-7, in America East)
  • North Dakota State (Men: 4-11, 6th in Summit League) (Women: 9-4, 1st in Summit League)

Well, keep on ballin'! We still got a lot of season left!

Last edited:
Men's AP Top 5: Houston, Kansas, Purdue, Alabama, and UCLA. Houston, Kansas, and Purdue all each have only one loss. I was going to report Houston lost on Saturday, but I think that was the Lady Cougars. Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats aren't even in the Top 25 with their rough season so far.

Women's AP Top 5: South Carolina!, Ohio State!, LSU!, Stanford, and Connecticut. The exclamation points (!) represent undefeated teams so far. Baylor is surprisingly out of the Top 25 of the women's ranks. South Carolina and LSU will square off later this season, so you can make that two remaining unbeaten teams if things hold up.

Wow! Can you believe Loyola Marymount University defeated Gonzaga University in their house last night? The LMU Lions from Los Angeles defeated the sixth-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs in Spokane, WA 68-67. Gonzaga's 93-game winning streak against unranked opponents and 75-game home winning streak were snapped last night. That was quite the epic win for LMU and quite the epic fail for Gonzaga. I doubt that Gonzaga will fall off the Top 25 after this defeat. I think they'll stay in the Top 10; or at worst, no lower than 15th. All good things must come to an end.

As of right now, Houston and Purdue still have only one loss on the men's side of the AP Top 25. Kansas fell at Kansas State earlier this week.

Honestly, Dolph Drago, I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue leap frogs Houston because I think the Big Ten is a tougher conference than the American Athletic Conference. We're doing great here in Houston, but there are plenty more dangerous teams in the B1G than the AAC. All I can say is... keep the good times rolling.

DOWN GOES HOUSTON! :(

Now Purdue may well take the top step of the AP Top 25. Top-ranked Houston lost 56-55 at home to Temple, and 3rd-ranked Purdue won at home against Maryland 58-55. So Purdue is now the only team in NCAA Division 1 men's hoops with one loss on the season after Houston and Kansas recently lost. Sad for my Cougars, good for Dolph Drago's Boilermakers.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Cougars, John. Purdue meanwhile, played a dominant first half in their game. Then the second half happened, and Maryland made it a nail biter. Thankfully, the Boilers held on for the W.

Purdue and Houston swapped back once again, at #1 and #3 respectively. The meat in the sandwich is now Alabama after Kansas took back-to-back losses.

Here are my musings to share With you all:

* The Houston Cougars defeated the Cincinnati Bearcats at home yesterday 75-69. The University of Houston may go up to No. 2 in the nation after Oklahoma beat down No. 2 Alabama 93-69.

* The Houston Lady Cougars smashed the Tulane Green Wave at home 82-36.

* The No. 1 Purdue Boilermakers went to Michigan State and defeated the Spartans 77-61.

* Previously 19-0, the Lady Buckeyes of Ohio State now have a three-game losing streak thanks to the Lady Boilermakers of Purdue winning 73-65 at Ohio State.

* One of the biggest stories in college basketball has been the College of Charleston. This team has proudly been a part of the Top 25 in the AP Polls. They hosted the Pride of Hofstra this past Saturday. Unfortunately, the Cougars fell at home to the Hofstra Pride 85-81. The College of Charleston originally had the nation's biggest win streak at about 20 wins in a row.

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats took on the Kansas Jayhawks in a battle of two blue schools and two basketball powers. The more powerful team on Saturday is Kansas, which won 77-68.

That's all. Hopefully your team(s) is/are doing well. With February looming, games will no doubt get more intense. So make sure to try to rack up some more wins in hoping you make the March Madness tournament in March.

Apparently, the University of Houston remains No. 3. Meet the new No. 2 team- Tennessee. Purdue remains tops in the AP Poll. It seems like as people had Houston winning the National Championship in NCAA Division 1 men's hoops, maybe the Houston Cougars are cooling off a bit in most peoples' minds.

DOWN GOES PURDUE!

In-state rivals, No. 21 Indiana, took down the top-ranked Boilermakers at home 79-74. This is only the second blemish on Purdue's record. Purdue now stands at 22-2.

It was a rough first half being down 16. I really did feel a comeback was still possible. We did pull the lead back to as close as 1 point, but turnovers were our undoing yesterday. Free throws, which have been a strong point for the team, also weren't falling in. I will say that both big men showed up and did their thing. Edey had yet another double-double with 33 points and 18 rebounds. On the other side, Jackson-Davis had 25 points and was a menace to Purdue all game.

As annoying it is to lose to a major rival, at least it is the regular season. I would much rather lose a game now than during the Big Ten Championship or, worse yet, during the National Championship Tournament itself. Like you said, it's still only the second loss of the season. Only Houston has as few losses (and FL Atlantic if you want to count them). Purdue should retain the top spot in the rankings. #2 Tennessee had an ugly, low scoring affair in their win against Auburn. They have 2 more losses and 2 fewer wins. I do wonder if Houston will keep their #3 spot or jump ahead of Tennessee after their showing.

Back