College Basketball: 2023-2024 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 103 comments
Caitlin Clark of the University of Iowa's Lady Hawkeyes program is must-see TV. She holds the NCAA scoring record Kelsey Plum once held. The all-time Division 1 scoring record (men/women) may be the next thing C. Clark can go for. To that end, Caitlin Clark is currently 99 points away from surpassing LSU great Pete Maravich. Considering how baller Caitlin Clark is, I want her to go for that. If Clark pulls this off, can you imagine just how much of a generational shift this can provide? All the time I've heard people dump on women's basketball and all kinds of senseless and insensitive jokes. This one lady could flip the script and be one of the best basketball players ever, let alone just on the women's side. So I'm all for Caitlin Clark to make more history.

I haven't talked about them in quite a while, but the sting of Purdue's loss on Sunday is slightly less thanks to UConn dropping their game on Tuesday. It's weird how the top ranked teams keep losing within the same weeks.

Last edited:
Houston's at Baylor this Saturday. Houston and Baylor met in the Final Four a few years ago, and the Bears smashed the Cougars. Maybe Houston returns the favor to the boys from Waco in Waco. I'm probably sure if Houston wins on Saturday, they could be the new No. 1 in the nation.

I'm really surprised how well Houston has done in their Big XII debut. I knew they'd lose to Kansas, but they been pretty solid in their debut season in the Big XII. Let's be honest. The Big XII is a much greater conference than their previous one, the American Athletic Conference. I'm obviously proud of UH so far.

The University of Houston is atop the AP Top 25 rankings. I thought they were previously on top, but this is apparently the first time this season atop the AP Top 25 in men's basketball this season. Your current Top 4 in the AP men's polls: Houston, Purdue, Connecticut, and Tennessee.

Wake Forest upset No. 8 Duke 83-79 over the weekend. After Wake Forest upset Duke, Kyle Filipowski got injured from fans storming the court. I don't hate court storming, but I don't condone it either. People have gotten injured and trampled on because of unruly fans storming the court or the field in football. It is not determined how injured Kyle Filipowski is after the court storming. If he is badly injured, this really will spark wanting to enforce and regulate unruly fans storming courts/fields and such after upset wins at home.

Your current Top 4 in the AP men's polls: Houston, Purdue, Connecticut, and Tennessee.
GTP teams represent! Cool to see your boys back on top. I like it better when Purdue is ranked #2, anyway. It seems like they play better as there's less pressure on them than when they are #1.

In Purdue news, Zach Edey collected his 11th B1G Ten Player of the week, a record for the conference. And he's well on pace to pick up a consecutive National Player of the Year award. Dude is unstoppable.

Dolph Drago, your Boilermakers are Elite Eight at least. If that's going to happen, Zach Edey will make that happen. Purdue going to go much further this season's NCAA Tournament than they did last NCAA Tournament. I do believe in Purdue.

At least in men's hoops, it is a bit strange when it isn't Kentucky isn't atop the SEC standings. So imagine the Volunteers making big noise in the SEC and in the nation. Tennessee is usually very good in women's hoops. Well, the men have proven they are just as adept. SEC play is tough in just about any NCAA sport. We all know about SEC football. SEC basketball is equally a big deal. Have to imagine how far Tennessee can go during this season in men's hoops.

Caitlin Clark of the Iowa [Lady] Hawkeyes has announced she will enter the 2024 WNBA Draft. She still continues her scoring record charge to challenge Pete Maravich's scoring record for most among any NCAA D1 basketball player (men/women) and is about 30 points shy of that mark.

Best of luck to her in the WNBA once she gets there.

"Beware the ides of March..."

It's about to be time to talk about that "T" word- tournament. This will be the opportunity to see what teams will get to play in conference championships and also who will be playing in various other tournaments. More importantly... the national championship. We call it "March Madness" for a reason.

In other news... Caitlin Clark made history today in college basketball after LeBron James making NBA history yesterday. Caitlin Clark of the University of Iowa [Lady] Hawkeyes passed Pete Maravich for the all-time scoring record (men and women). She stands alone in this regard with 3,685 career points. Her sixth-ranked Hawkeyes upset the second-ranked Ohio State Lady Buckeyes 93-83 at home.

What a weekend in basketball! New scoring records set by LeBron James in the NBA and now Caitlin Clark in college basketball. Congratulations to both of these individuals!

Last edited:
Oakland U won last night and punched their ticket to the Horizon League tournament in Indy. It's been a minute since they were actually competitive. Hopefully, they can pull out a win in Indy and go on to the big tournament.

Go Golden Grizzlies, then!

Caitlin Clark has now surpassed Steph Curry for most three pointers, shooting 164. Steph Curry finished with 162 3-pointers in a season from his days at Davidson.

The season is winding down as those Tournament resumes are being built. Hopefully your beloved schools can make that last push to make the March Madness committee select your school.

Will be trying to get into it this year again.

Gotta admit, it's my least favourite of the NA sports but hoping for a good tourney

Both Houston and Purdue complete undefeated home seasons in the regular season. There's no doubt both schools are worthy of No. 1 seeds. Next Sunday will be when the tournament brackets will be revealed. Since next Sunday is St. Patrick's Day, some teams may be unlucky to not make the Tournament.

Congratulations to all conference championship winners up to and beyond this point, men's and women's basketball!

Oakland won last night, meaning they will play the Milwaukee Panthers for the Horizon League title. If Oakland wins, they'll go to the big tournament for the first time since 2011. Milwaukee is going to be tough though, but OU did beat them twice this season so I'm optimistic. If they win, I'm hopeful they play in Indianapolis for the first round of the tournament because I'm going to attempt to get tickets.

If the Golden Grizzlies can knock off the Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers, more power to them. Of course, I pull for all of my fellow GTPlaneteers and their favorite teams in all college sports. That is... unless we have some rival schools among us.

BOOM!

1710292067498.png

Houston and Purdue are looking for No. 1 seeds; both fell today. Purdue lost in Overtime to Wisconsin 76-75 in their Big Ten semifinal, and Houston just got straight up hammered by Iowa State 69-41 in the Big XII Championship Game. Connecticut and North Carolina, meanwhile, won their games. UConn won the Big East Championship. North Carolina made it to the ACC Championship Game.

Tomorrow will tell the Tournament picture once the brackets are revealed. Houston, Purdue, Connecticut, and North Carolina are the predicted No. 1 seeds heading into today.

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention UNC won their ACC Semifinal Game.

Last edited:
Today, Purdue was just in a funk in certain aspects. Edey was on the bench 2 minutes into the game with 2 fouls, and we held steady for a bit until Wisconsin finally started to get the better of us with him out. Also, we couldn't hit a 3 to save our lives. Even then, it was still tied going into halftime. The second half was a back and forth affair. Annoyingly, the Boilers never could eek out a decent lead. We failed to ever get more than a 1 score lead thanks to turnovers, and that also helped lead the Badgers to not only tie it at the end of regulation, but to also take their lead with 5 seconds left in OT. Hopefully, we've got that of our system. Which leads me to below...

In a way, I don't mind Purdue's loss today. I think it takes some pressure off not having to continue a winning streak. We'll start the tournament fresh. And it will also give Edey and Braden Smith some time to heal up from their injuries they have sustained over the past two games.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, GTPlaneteers!

While it may be St. Patrick's Day, luck may not be on the side of a number of teams once the brackets are revealed for the NCAA Tournament. The last of the conference tournaments will be wrapped up today. I will post the brackets of NCAA Division 1 basketball. I will do separate posts for the men and women to make it easier.

Once the brackets are announced, feel free to comment on the tournament brackets. DO NOT wait on me to post. Do not be shy about your favorite school. If you are a college basketball fan or are a fan of a certain school, feel free to check in.

Meanwhile, my congratulations go to our first National Champions of this season:

* Trine defeated Hampden-Sydney 69-61 to win the NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Championship. The Tigers of Hampden-Sydney College were the top seed in NCAA Division 3 men's basketball, and the Trine Thunder was a No. 13 seed.

* The Lady Violets of New York University defeated the Lady Pioneers of Smith College to not only win the NCAA Division 3 Women's Basketball championship, but doing so UNDEFEATED- 31-0. It is the second-ever National Championship for NYU in women's hoops, the last time being in 1997.

Let's build the Madness.

Oof, we drew #3 seed Kentucky. That's going to be a challenge and Antonio Reeves is going to cause us problems. I'm still hopeful for an upset though, sorry @Jordan :D

Hello there! It's time we set up the 2023-2024 NCAA Division 1 Men's Baketball Tournament. Let's see who all will have a chance to become the National Champions. For your information, let's look at this season's National Champion contenders in men's hoops:

SETUP:
  • East Region vs. South Region
  • West Region vs. Midwest Region

The way I have this set up is from left-to-right, top-to-bottom. So the first two regions are the top regions of the full bracket, and then the lower part of the bracket is the other two regions.

The "First Four" games happen on Tuesday and Wednesday from Dayton, Ohio.

--- EAST REGION ---
Brooklyn, NY (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Connecticut! vs. #16 Stetson
#8 Florida Atlantic vs. #9 Northwestern

Spokane, WA (Friday and Sunday)
#5 San Diego State vs. #12 UAB
#4 Auburn vs. #13 Yale

Omaha, NE (Thursday and Saturday)
#6 BYU vs. #11 Duquesne
#3 Illinois vs. #14 Morehead State

Omaha, NE (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Washington State vs. #10 Drake
#2 Iowa State vs. #15 South Dakota State

EAST NOTES:
  • UConn - defending Nat'l Champs
  • FAU - at large
  • DUQ - first NCAA Tourney appearance since 1977
  • (shout out to Omnis' FAU Owls!)

--- SOUTH REGION ---
Memphis, TN (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Houston! vs. #16 Longwood
#8 Nebraska vs. #9 Texas A&M

Brooklyn, NY (Friday and Sunday)
#5 Wisconsin vs. #12 James Madison
#4 Duke vs. #13 Vermont

Pittsburgh, PA (Thursday and Saturday)
#6 Texas Tech vs. #11 North Carolina State
#3 Kentucky vs. #14 Oakland

Indianapolis, IN (Friday and Sunday)
#7 Florida vs. #10 (Boise State/Colorado)
#2 Marquette vs. #15 Western Kentucky

SOUTH NOTES:
  • HOU - third-straight 30-win season; longest active streak in NCAA D1 Men's hoops
  • JMU - 31-3 on the season
  • BOISE ST. - One of the "last four in"
  • (Joey D vs. Jordan inner-forum rivalry with OAK vs. UK?)

--- WEST REGION ---
Charlotte, NC (Thursday and Saturday)
#1 North Carolina! vs. #16 (Howard/Wagner)
#8 Mississippi State vs. #9 Michigan State

Spokane, WA (Friday and Sunday)
#5 Saint Mary's vs. #12 Grand Canyon
#4 Alabama vs. #13 Charleston

Memphis, TN (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Clemson vs. #11 New Mexico
#3 Baylor vs. #14 Colgate

Salt Lake City, UT (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Dayton vs. #10 Nevada
#2 Arizona vs. #15 Long Beach State

WEST NOTES:
* (shout out to Yard_Sale's Arizona Wildcats!)

--- MIDWEST REGION ---
Indianapolis, IN (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Purdue! vs. #16 (Montana State/Grambling State)
#8 Utah State vs. #9 TCU

Salt Lake City, UT (Thursday and Saturday)
#5 Gonzaga vs. #12 McNeese State
#4 Kansas vs. #13 Samford

Pittsburgh, PA (Thursday and Saturday)
#6 South Carolina vs. #11 Oregon
#3 Creighton vs. #14 Akron

Charlotte, North Carolina (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Texas vs. #10 (Virginia/Colorado State)
#2 Tennessee vs. #15 Saint Peter's

MIDWEST NOTES:
  • GRAM ST. - first SWAC championship in school history
  • McN ST. 30-3 record
  • (shout out Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers!)

--- OTHER NOTES ---
LAST FOUR IN: Boise State, Colorado, Virginia, Colorado State
LAST FOUR OUT: Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Indiana State, Pittsburgh

So there you have it. Fill out your brackets, have your banter, do as you please. Don't worry if your bracket is perfect. According to the NCAA, the chances of you making a perfect bracket is:

1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (if you just guess or flip a coin)
^ source: NCAA.com

...or...

1 in 120.2 billion (if you know a little something about basketball)
^ source: NCAA.com

WOW! If you somehow nail a perfect bracket, maybe you should have a statue in your honor. Also note that Transfer Protocol can play a part in extending the madness of March Madness. So don't be surprised if some of the lesser schools take it to the higher seeds.

Well, GTPlaneteers, have at it. Congratulations to all of the NCAA Tournament teams!

Time for the ladies to get their shine on. It's time for the women's hoops team to learn their road to Cleveland. Which women's teams will compete valiantly for their National Championship? We're about to find out right now. Here are the women's brackets in NCAA Division 1 women's basketball:

SETUP:
  • Region 1 Albany vs. Region 2 Albany
  • Region 4 Portland vs. Region 3 Portland

The way I have this set up is from left-to-right, top-to-bottom. So the first two regions are the top regions of the full bracket, and then the lower part of the bracket is the other two regions.

MY APOLOGIES: I could not get exact date information for each match here.

--- REGION 1: ALBANY ---
Columbia, SC
#1 South Carolina! vs. #16 (Sacred Heart/Presbyterian)
#8 North Carolina vs. #9 Michigan State

Bloomington, IN
#5 Oklahoma vs. #12 Florida Gulf Coast
#4 Indiana vs. #13 Fairfield

Corvalis, OR
#6 Nebraska vs. #11 Texas A&M
#3 Oregon State vs. #14 Eastern Washington

South Bend, IN
#7 Ole Miss vs. #10 Marquette
#2 Notre Dame vs. #15 Kent State

R1 NOTES:
  • PRES - NCAA Tournament debut
  • OR STATE - at-large
  • MISS vs. MARQ: both 23-8

--- REGION 2: ALBANY ---
Iowa City, IA
#1 Iowa! vs. #16 (Holy Cross/Tennessee-Martin)
#8 West Virginia vs. #9 Princeton

Manhattan, KS
#5 Colorado vs. #12 Drake
#4 Kansas State vs. #13 Portland

Baton Rouge, LA
#6 Louisville vs. #11 Middle Tennessee State
#3 LSU vs. #14 Rice

Los Angeles, CA
#7 Creighton vs. #10 UNLV
#2 UCLA vs. #15 California Baptist

R2 NOTES:
  • LSU - defending Nat'l Champs, SEC at-large bid
  • UCLA - highest women's seeding in school history
  • CAL BAPT. - NCAA Tournament debut

--- REGION 3: PORTLAND ---
Los Angeles, CA
#1 USCal vs. #16 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
#8 Kansas vs. #9 Michigan

Waco, TX
#5 Baylor vs. #12 (Vanderbilt/Columbia)
#4 Virginia Tech vs. #13 Marshall

Storrs, CT
#6 Syracuse vs. #11 (Auburn/Arizona)
#3 Connecticut vs. #14 Jackson State

Columbus, OH
#7 Duke vs. #10 Richmond
#2 Ohio State vs. #15 Maine

R3 NOTES:
  • USCal - first No. 1 seed since 1986
  • TAMU-CC - NCAA tournament debut

R3 NOTES:
* Duke - at large

--- REGION 4: Portland ---
Austin, TX ( and )
#1 Texas! vs. #16 Drexel
#8 Alabama vs. #9 Florida State

Spokane, WA ( and )
#5 Utah vs. #12 South Dakota State
#4 Gonzaga vs. #13 California-Irvine

Raleigh, NC ( and )
#6 Tennessee vs. #11 Wisconsin-Green Bay
#3 North Carolina State vs. #14 Chattanooga

Palo Alto, CA ( and )
#7 Iowa State vs. #10 Maryland
#2 Stanford vs. #15 Norfolk State

R4 NOTES:
  • GONZ - highest seed by a WCC team in NCAA women's hoops tournament history
  • TENN - SEC at-large

--- OTHER NOTES ---
  • Top 3 seeds in the Round of 64 are 347-1 all-time. Only loss: #16 Harvard def. #1 Stanford in 1998.
  • 1-Seeds have won 10 of the last 11 National Championships.
  • Top-3 Seeds have won the National Championship in all 41 NCAA Women's March Madness Tournaments.

That's how the ladies will ball this upcoming Women's March Madness. I was certainly wondering about Iowa and USCal in this Tourney. Caitlin Clark has been the top dog for the Iowa Lady Hawkeyes. Once she steps up to the WNBA, I think JuJu Watkins of USCal is going to be the hottest college talent. There is a chance Iowa and USCal will match up if both make it to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight.

Want to discuss women's college hoops tournament action? Go for it!

March Madness is here! Tonight begins the Play-In games for teams to try to advance to the main Tournament. So teams who are in the "First Four" will be playing to extend their season early. The National Championship dreams of many a team at this point may come to an end if they fail in this round of the NCAA Tournament.

Enjoy the 2023-2024 tournament action! Let the Madness begin.

I got UConn for the men and Iowa for the women.

I hope the LSU women's team gets absolutely obliterated too. They are so unlikable, and Angel Reese, while an excellent basketball player, has terrible sportsmanship.

GTPlanet's official bracket pool is back this year! Get your picks in now!

:gtpflag:
Oof, we drew #3 seed Kentucky. That's going to be a challenge and Antonio Reeves is going to cause us problems. I'm still hopeful for an upset though, sorry @Jordan :D
Depending on which version of our team shows up, you guys have a very good chance of pulling it off. We are the most inconsistent Kentucky team I have ever seen, largely because of our offense. It's pretty simple, really: if we're making shots, our offense can beat anyone in the country. If we're not making shots, we don't have the defensive capabilities to put any pressure on our opponents and get stops.

The First Four played itself out. Four teams advanced, four other teams are prepping for next season. Now the bulk of the action will play with the Round of 64. It's simple- you lose, you're done. Here is where the pressure of perfection gets to every team. You can't afford to play your worst game at this point. Maybe you have a bad game and still manage to win, but a loss at this point means your 2023-2024 season is over. So win as best as you can for as long as you can to keep your season alive.

Enjoy March Madness!

The First Four played itself out.
Ya we were subjected to Virgina during whatever that was. They played for 51 minutes (real minutes, not game minutes) without scoring a single basket. They scored at 9:20 in the 1st and then didn't score again until 16:37 in the 2nd. The committee selected Virginia too, so they forced this upon us.

How does it feel, @Joey D? Sorry, @Jordan...
I can't believe that happened. I get a U of M football championship, the Lions being 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl, and now OU winning all in 2024. What is happening? The Pistons aren't in last place, and the Wings might make the playoffs too!

Also, Gohlke is insane. I'm glad so many people got to see him ball out tonight.

Sorry @Jordan I never expected that in a million years.

1711073072209.png

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back