College Football: 2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 89 comments
🤬!!! A great game between Houston at Tulane ends up as a 38-31 victory for Tulane University. Even though Houston's D'Eriq King broke the NCAA FBS record for successive games with a rushing touchdown and passing touchdown (15-game streak, surpassing Tim Tebow's 14-game streak of successive games with a passing TD and rushing TD), UH just didn't have the endurance to defeat Tulane on the road. Trick plays late put the Tulane Green Wave ahead with about four seconds left in the game sunk the Coogs. We're now 1-3 on the season. Way to lose another game on ESPN/ABC. I know I didn't expect much of my Cougars this season, but this is damned ridiculous. Up next for Houston is hosting North Texas.

Well... congratulations to all other winners of this week's games. Sucks that my Houston Cougars will be among this week's losers.

Time for some musings of mine with this week of college football so far.

* It's the Third Saturday in September. Which can mean only one thing- the Tennessee vs. Florida rivalry. In The Swamp, it was a 34-3 victory for the Florida Gators. The Tennessee Volunteers are now 1-3 on the season.

* One of two big matches on Saturday, it was the Oklahoma State Cowboys paying a visit to the Texas Longhorns. It was a 36-30 victory for the Longhorns.

* The bigger game on Saturday was #7 Notre Dame at #3 Georgia. Over 93K fans at Sanford Stadium saw Georgia defeat Notre Dame 23-17.

I'll continue with the Big Ten. Or as I like to say... "go B1G or go home."

* Let's talk Michigan Wolverines football! Sadly, Michigan has not won at Wisconsin since 2001. That futility continues as No. 11 Michigan fell in flames at the Badgers of No. 13 Wisconsin. Wisconsin defeated Michigan 35-14. Any College Football Playoff hope for Michigan now will mean they'd have to basically win out. Perhaps even have to win the Big Ten Championship. I don't know if Michigan would retain Jim Harbaugh as coach for next season if Michigan fails to make too much more noise this season.

* So Michigan didn't win. How did their rivals, Michigan State do at Northwestern? Easy peasy win for Sparty at Northwestern. The Spartans spanked the Northwestern Wildcats 31-10 at Northwestern.

* Cool- Rutgers scores a touchdown! How do you celebrate? By punching your QB in the face! That's what I saw on Twitter as someone on the Rutgers side threw a punch at his team's QB after scoring a touchdown. Rutgers, though, lost at home to Boston College 30-16.

Time to go elsewhere now.

* California improves to 4-0 after downing the Ole Miss Rebels 28-20 at Ole Miss.

* Do you know who else is now 4-0? Auburn. The Tigers outlasted Texas A&M at Texas A&M to a 28-20 victory.

* No. 15 UCF saw themselves get stunned by the Pittsburgh Panthers on the road. Pitt won 35-34 over the UCF Golden Knights.

* Sad Saturday in Chapel Hill, as the UNC Tar Heels lost to their in-state foes, the Mountaineers of Appalachian State. It was a 34-31 victory for App. State.

* In San Marcos, TX, a game had to be settled in triple Overtime between Georgia State and Texas State. The Panthers of Georgia State fell to the Texas State Bobcats 37-34.

* Because we love a certain GTPlaneteer here, here's a North Dakota State score report! The NDSU Bison took down the Aggies of the University of California-Davis 27-16. North Dakota State is now 3-0 on the 2019 season.

* You usually have FCS-beat-FBS games, but not really non-NCAA D1 beat FCS. NCAA Division 2 school Truman State not only beat Valparaiso, but the Bulldogs smashed the Crusaders 38-7.

Congratulations to all other teams that won this week. Better luck next time for those who failed.

Michigan is a pure dumpster fire this season. This season is going to be long with the offense not being able to hold on to the ball.

You know, it would have a worse story for Michigan if they got shut out yesterday at Wisconsin instead of scoring what they did. It took Michigan until the 4th Quarter to finally get on the board. Despite the horrible loss, I don't think Michigan will be knocked out of the Top 25. The latest rankings haven't been released, but I think Michigan may end up being No. 23 in the nation when the next polls come out. The Wolverines can still salvage their season. On that note, though, Michigan may have to dominate the rest of their opposition to really have any Playoff hopes. That means going through the tougher Big Ten opposition as well as the likes of Michigan State and (especially) Ohio State.

I'd like to see where teams like Utah, UCF, and Washington State will end up in the next set of rankings. TCU will likely be taken out of the Top 25 after losing to their rivals SMU at home. Apparently overnight, UCLA played an epic basketball-on-grass scored game at Washington State and won 67-63. USCal knocked off Utah earlier in the week 30-23, and Pittsburgh ended UCF's 27-game regular season winning streak with a 35-34 victory.

Michigan was straight trash yesterday, it was embarrassing for them. Hopefully, they can turn it around but barring both a defense and offense that forgot how to football I'm not so sure. I guess the good thing is that they get Rutgers next week and that should help them build back some confidence.

Also, I'm really disappointed in how Utah played too. I don't think USC is a great team this year and we should've beaten them. At least the rest of the schedule is fairly light save for Washington in November.

I mentioned previously where a number of teams would end up after this past week. Well, let's change that...

* Michigan: was No. 11, now No. 20
* Utah: was No. ??, now No. 19
* UCF: was No. 15, now No. 22
* Washington State: (now out of the Top 25)

NOTE: All poll standings are accurate as of September 22, 2019.

In case you're wondering, Notre Dame dropped from No. 7 to No. 10 when they lost at Georgia on Saturday night.

Let's talk about Week 5. Here are some of the more interesting matches among Top 25 teams this week:

(! = currently undefeated)

* #1 Clemson! at North Carolina
* Ole Miss at #2 Alabama!
* #5 Ohio State! at Nebraska
* Texas Tech at #6 Oklahoma!
* #18 Virginia! at #10 Notre Dame
* Washington State at #19 Utah
* #21 USCal at #17 Washington

So we don't have anything like two unbeaten teams taking each other on this week. What we DO have mostly, though, are a lot of conference games. It's usually later in the season that we see a lot of the conference matches which go a long way in helping separate the contenders from the pretenders.

Enjoy whatever college football action you're interested in this week!

Allow me to touch up on games from this past week and Saturday. Musing time!

* Go B1G or go home. After getting throttled at Wisconsin last weekend, Michigan took their frustrations out on Rutgers. That aggression was a 52-0 thrashing of the boys from Piscataway, New Jersey. Michigan faces a tougher test next- they host the Iowa Hawkeyes in their next game.

* Speaking of Iowa, they had no problem smashing the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State 48-3. The boys from Iowa City will head up to Ann Arbor next Saturday to pay a visit to the Michigan Wolverines.

* Michigan bounced back. Did Notre Dame, too? Yep. The No. 10 Fighting Irish defeated undefeated Virginia 35-20 at home. The Virginia Cavaliers have their first loss of the 2019 season.

* You want Pac-12 chatter? You got it! The No. 19 Utah Utes utilized their offense substantially by smashing the Washington State Cougars 38-13 in Salt Lake City.

* Congratulations to Oklahoma on reaching 900 wins all-time in their football history. They picked up No. 900 with authority hosting Texas Tech. Oklahoma is currently the sixth-ever NCAA football program to amass 900 or more wins.

* Georgia Tech lost earlier this season at home to The Citadel. Now, the Yellow Jackets were thwarted on the road at the Temple Owls 24-2. All GT could manage is a safety.

* The University of Houston made headlines as their QB D'Eriq King redshirted this season and will play next season. Fearing the Houston Cougars have given up on the 2019 season, the Coogs ended up wrecking the North Texas Mean Green 46-25 in Denton, TX.

* MACtion! The BYU Cougars had to settle for a tough road loss at the Toledo Rockets. Toledo won 28-21.

* The Redhawks of Miami University downed the Buffalo Bulls 34-20. Please note we are talking about Miami University of Ohio, not the University of Miami here.

* On the FCS side, the No. 18 Montana Grizzlies smashed the No. 4 Aggies of UC-Davis on the road 45-20.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week, even including a blowout home win by Alabama and Clemson surviving a scare on the road.

Earlier this week, NCAA Division 3 school, Grinnell College, has cancelled their 2019 season of college football with so many players injured and not able to play. The Grinnell Pioneers have had a lot of injury trouble leading up to this decision to cancel the rest of the season. I'm hopeful they will have more players available for next season.

I will discuss this further in my "College Sports in General and Other College Sports" thread, but the state of California passed the "Fair Pay to Play Act," which will allow for college athletes to make money based on their likeness and image. The NCAA threatened that this move would ban California schools from competing in postseason tournaments and events. This act does not take form until January 2023.

There are two games in NCAA FBS coming up later tonight. We got a Sun Belt match as the Eagles of Georgia Southern will meet the University of South Alabama Jaguars. There is also action in the American Athletic Conference as the Temple Owls meet the East Carolina Pirates.

Enjoy this weekend's action! Hope your favorite team(s) win.

ESPN College Gameday will open the 2020 swing outside of the United States for the first-ever time. The first College Gameday next year will eminate from Dublin, Ireland.

Let me make a few more musings.

* Big win for Texas Tech knocking off No. 21 Oklahoma State in Lubbock. The score was 45-35 in the Red Raiders' win over the OK State Cowboys.

* How did the other Big XII team from Oklahoma do? You know- Oklahoma? Not even a lightning delay in Lawrence, KS. was enough for the No. 6 Oklahoma Sooners to smack the Kansas Jayhawks 45-20.

* It's that time again- go B1G or go home. Purdue got roughed up at the Penn State Nittany Lions. Boilermakers still stuck on one win on the season. Penn State dominated 35-7.

* Purdue didn't win, but Michigan did. A defensive struggle led the Michigan Wolverines over the visiting Iowa Hawkeyes 10-3. Blue and maize did good today.

* Wisconsin did good also. The Badgers cremated the Golden Flashes Kent State 48-0 in Madison, WI. Not so golden Kent State is after this one.

* Let's talk SEC now. It was 42-6 in Baton Rouge, LA as the LSU Tigers whacked the Utah State Aggies.

* UCF got upset again this season. The UCF Golden Knights lost 27-24 at the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

COLLIDGE FUTBAUWL. A couple of musings on college football so far...

* Can you believe it? The No. 3 Georgia Bulldogs were stunned at home by the South Carolina Gamecocks in Double Overtime! It was a 20-17 victory on the road for South Carolina at Georgia.

* The Red River Rivalry saw No. 6 Oklahoma defeat No. 11 Texas 34-27. Texas' Playoff hopes are probably likely dashed at this point. Some think the OU Sooners can win it all.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games. Hopefully your favorite team(s) is/are among the winners.

Michigan is about to get blown out next week. The last half of the schedule is going to be miserable to see as a Michigan fan.

Well, anything can happen, AnthonyD1993. I looked up Michigan's remaining schedule. Here's what's coming up:

OCT 19: at #12 Penn State
OCT 26: #9 Notre Dame
NOV 2: at Maryland
NOV 16: Michigan State
NOV 23: at Indiana
NOV 30: #3 Ohio State

Yep... Penn State is NOT a pushover. Playing at Penn State is usually being shoved into a meat grinder. If Michigan gets past Penn State, I think they could win out. It won't be easy, though. I am most concerned about Notre Dame and Ohio State- though both are at home. By the way, Michigan won 42-25 at Illinois earlier today.

THE Ohio State University completely ran over Northwestern 52-3 last night in Evanston, IL. I hope you all enjoy whatever college football action interests you tonight. I will be sure to offer some college football musings when I can. The marquee match for tonight is Michigan at Penn State. I like Michigan, but I don't know if the Wolverines can knock off the Penn State Nittany Lions in their house tonight.

Enjoy college football!

It is time I offer a few musings from last this past week.

* My pieces on the Big Ten are what I like to call as "Go B1G or Go Home." I was mostly watching the Yankees at Astros last night, but I read Michigan was unable to complete a comeback at the Nittany Lions of Penn State. Safe to say playing a National Championship probably isn't going to happen for the Wolverines this season. I am even uncertain Jim Harbaugh may retain his head coaching job after this season. Penn State beats Michigan 28-21.

* If you believe in "misery loves company," then here's some good news- Wisconsin fell hard at Illinois fashion with Illinois beating No. 6 Wisconsin on a (to use baseball speak) game-winning walk-off field goal. The Fighting Illini stunned Wisconsin 24-23. Things could go from bad to worse for Wisconsin because their next game is at Ohio State.

* Boiler Up! Well... that didn't happen in Iowa City, because the No. 23 Iowa Hawkeyes defeated the Purdue Boilermakers 26-20.

* Someone had a sign on ESPN College Gameday saying "Get Rutgers out of the Big Ten." The Scarlet Knights hosted the No. 20 Minnesota Golden Gophers, and the boys from Minneapolis won 42-7. Rutgers, right now, looks like when Temple was part of the former Big East football.

Now let me go elsewhere around the country.

* Alabama and Clemson both remain undefeated with big wins by each. Alabama stays perfect with a 35-13 win over the Tennessee Volunteers in Tuscaloosa. Clemson smacks around Louisville 45-10 in Louisville.

* How about some Pac-12 loving? What seemed like a fun game between No. 12 Oregon and No. 25 Washington ended up with the Oregon Ducks winning 35-31 over Crash's Washington Huskies.

* You know who else did good this past weekend in the Pac-12? The University of Utah. The U of U. Utes sunk the No. 17 Arizona State Sun Devils 31-3 in Salt Lake City.

* Boise State is undefeated no longer thanks to one of the other Utah schools. The Cougars of Brigham Young University knocked out the No. 14-ranked Boise State Broncos with a 28-25 victory in Provo.

* With a score that seemed more like a low-scoring college basketball game, it was No. 15 Texas that outlasted Kansas 50-48. I believe Texas is now 9-0 at home against Kansas after this win.

* One other basketball power fell, and that was the Kentucky Wildcats getting blanked at No. 10 Georgia 21-0.

* From Death Penalty to dominating, the No. 19 SMU Mustangs continue their impressive run by downing Temple 45-21. They get my beloved University of Houston Cougars next. Speaking of my Coogs...

* The Houston Cougars went up to Hartford, CT and defeated the UConn Huskies 24-17. Not much to get excited about for Houston Cougars in 2019, but they still are plugging away with wins.

I have an NCAA FCS game to discuss, but first, I want to acknowledge Appalachian State. This team went from a great NCAA FCS program to a highly potent FBS team in such short order. They even are in the Top 25. The Mountaineers smashed the Warharks of Louisiana-Monroe with a 52-7 victory at home.

* The only NCAA FCS musing I have is with a game played in Dallas between Texas Southern University and Southern University. The Southern Jaguars kept the Texas Southern Tigers winless with a 28-21 victory. So Southern remains undefeated in the SWAC while Texas Southern falls to 0-7 on the season.

Congratulations to all other winners from this past week of college football.

NDSU trampled Missouri State yesterday with a 22-0 win, making them 7-0 in the standings. Next weekend's game will be one to watch though, because it's NDSU vs SDSU.

Tonight is a celebration of Andre Ware winning the Heisman Trophy. Ware became the first Black player to win the Heisman Trophy back in 1989. Thirty years and three days ago (Oct. 21, 1989), the University of Houston destroyed SMU 95-21. This was a year after the "Death Penalty" that SMU had. Today, it's SMU that are beast while UH have been less than stellar. The SMU Mustangs will meet the Houston Cougars tonight.

The big games this week are B1G. Two of the biggest games are Notre Dame at Michigan and a B1G showdown between Wisconsin at Ohio State. Michigan and Wisconsin are trying to bounce back after their respective losses.

Enjoy this week's games!

We beat SDSU, but it wasn't an easy fight.

IMG_20191026_172541.jpg

Meanwhile, there was a big upset in the Little Apple today. Kansas State upset No. 5 Oklahoma 48-41 even as Oklahoma was attempting to make a comeback. So if you heard a loud thud in Manhattan, Kansas; that was the sound of Oklahoma going down. Oh... and that's why Manhattan, Kansas is called "The Little Apple," as opposed to the Big Apple in Manhattan in New York City.

ESPN College Gameday was in Brookings, South Dakota for North Dakota State at South Dakota State. All congratulations to the NDSU Bison taking down the South Dakota State Jackrabbits.

Now for my "Go B1G or go home" musings. Did you know Minnesota is 7-0 heading into their game today against Maryland? They handled Maryland nicely- 52-10. Another not-even-close Big Ten result was No. 6 Penn State whacking Michigan State 28-7 in heavy rain at Michigan State. 38-7 was the result as No. 3 Ohio State had no problem tearing apart Wisconsin at home. Northwestern got blanked 20-0 by the visiting No. 20 Iowa Hawkeyes.

Anyhow, congratulations to all other winners this week, including No. 21 Appalachian State quietly moving to 6-0 on the season with a win at South Alabama. If there are any more musings I want to share, I'll update this post as much as I can.

I really don't understand Michigan. They play like garbage against Wisconsin, but blow out the Irish.

And the Utes, in theory, should win out and USC should lose to Oregon next weekend. This means there's a really good chance the Utes could play for a Pac-12 title where they'll get rolled by Oregon.

I did see that Michigan whooped up on Notre Dame 45-14. Michigan pretty much has nothing to lose with their Playoff hopes.

Did you know LSU took over recently as the new top team in the nation? It's almost like they are trying to set up the LSU at Alabama match to determine the real No. 1 team at present.

Teams currently undefeated heading into this week:
* 01 - LSU (8-0)
* 02 - Alabama (8-0)
* 03 - Ohio State (8-0)
* 04 - Clemson (8-0)
* 05 - Penn State (8-0)
* 12 - Baylor (7-0) <<< playing tonight
* 13 - Minnesota (8-0)
* 15 - SMU (8-0)
* 20 - Appalachian State (7-0) <<< playing tonight

Enjoy this week's games!

From what I heard, scratch Appalachian State of the unbeaten teams. The Mountaineers of Appalachian State were defeated at home by Georgia Southern. The GA Southern Eagles won 24-21. So much for Appalachian State possibly being a possible College Football Playoff buster.

I didn't get to see all of that game, AnthonyD1993, but I did see that you can now scratch SMU from the unbeaten ranks. So Appalachian State and SMU were finally bested this season.

Good wins by Michigan (at Maryland) and Purdue (vs. Nebraska) as far as the Big Ten goes.

AP No. 1, 2, and 3 teams were all idle this past week. We got No. 1 LSU at No. 2 Alabama this coming week.

Did you know that Dartmouth College is undefeated? Well, this Ivy League school was undefeated heading into this weekend and ended up winning on a Hail Mary pass. The Big Green doing work! About the only Dartmouth alum I can think of is motorsports journalist and announcer Bob Varsha.

Congratulations to all other winners from this past week. Be sure to watch this Tuesday on the ESPN networks because the first College Football Playoff rankings will be out.

Don't forget that tonight is the first of the College Football Playoff rankings. When the rankings come out, don't wait on me to post the first CFP rankings of the season. Just come on in and discuss.

Four undefeated teams will clash this week in two different games. There are games like Penn State at Minnesota and LSU at Alabama to come this week. Enjoy the action!

Let me make my first post regarding the 2019 College Football Playoff rankings! Here goes:

--- College Football Playoff Rankings: Nov. 5 ---
1: Ohio State
2: LSU
3: Alabama
4: Penn State
--- First Two Out: Nov. 5 ---
5: Clemson
6: Georgia

So now we have our first idea of who the best four are and which two are close by. This is still going to be a hotly contested College Football Playoff. The Top 4 will need to keep their solid form. The first two out will have to play harder to ensure they have a chance at a National Championship.

There you have it, GTPlanet. Anyone care to share some thoughts on this list?

There are not one, but TWO big unbeaten matches today! First, the Golden Gophers of Minnesota are thinking upset as they host the Penn State Nittany Lions. The other match of unbeaten teams is in Tuscaloosa as the Alabama Crimson Tide host the Tigers of LSU. Enjoy whatever college football you fancy most today and tonight! I may check in later to offer some musings if I have any.

I mostly saw the closing moments of LSU at Alabama. 'Bama nearly made a game out of it late, but LSU was just too much. It is also safe to say this the best Minnesota Golden Gophers team in a long while after their upset of Penn State. Baylor remained undefeated, but they had to endure Triple Overtime to make it happen.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week.

Tomorrow night's College Football Playoff rankings will be interesting to watch as Penn State failed while Clemson dominated. I felt like Clemson really spanked North Carolina State 55-10 as a way of proving the CFP committee they deserve to be a Top 4 team after being relegated to 5th in the CFP poll. Minnesota put on a stunning upset of Penn State, and Penn State were put in at the No. 4 spot heading into this past weekend's games. Maybe Clemson gets a bit more love this time around?

You know you hit rock bottom when you lose badly to a mid-major, non-Power 5 conference school. That was the case when Arkansas lost to Western Kentucky 45-19. Arkansas fired their head coach after that drubbing the Razorbacks took from the WKU Hilltoppers. Also in the SEC, the Appalachian State Mountaineers stunned the South Carolina Gamecocks 20-15 at South Carolina.

Time to Go B1G or go home.

Illinois has gained some momentum of late. Michigan State lost at home 37-34 to the visiting Fighting Illini. The Spartans were at one point discussing the job security of their current head coach. Things aren't going to get any better for Sparty, because Michigan State will be at Michigan this Saturday for Great Lakes State supremacy. Michigan had their Bye Week this past weekend, so the Wolverines should be plenty fresh. Illinois, by the way, has won four straight games since stunning Wisconsin at home back on October 19. They'll be on their Bye Week this week, but their next game is at Iowa next Saturday. They are also currently 3rd in their division of the Big Ten.

Northwestern's men's basketball team took a big knock this past week losing to NCAA D1 newcomers Merrimack. The Wildcats' football program took a knock themselves to Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers with a 24-22 victory in Evanston, IL. Northwestern is now 1-8 while Purdue is now 4-6. Still- Boiler Up!

Enjoy this week's college football action!

Back