Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
What annoys me about this topic is that Christians say "Darwin was an evil atheist" and atheists say "Christianity is so dumb Darwin kicked it's ass" both parties should know that Darwin actually beloved in god, so you both look incredibly stupid saying stuff like this

What annoys me about this topic is that Christians say "Darwin was an evil atheist" and atheists say "Christianity is so dumb Darwin kicked it's ass" both parties should know that Darwin actually beloved in god, so you both look incredibly stupid saying stuff like this
You'd struggle to find anyone in this thread spewing rubbish like that, so the GTPlanet version shouldn't annoy you even slightly.

Okay. But since no-one here has done that (to my recollection), there's not really any need to bring the errors of the foolish into the discussion - we're better off without them. And already were.

Just sharing my opinion.....
Isn't that what everyone else is doing??
Yes and no - evolution is not a matter of opinion.

Yes, I agree that people pointing out Darwin's personal beliefs as if they have some relevance on the science of evolutionary theory is irritatingly erroneous. But the folk here don't do that sort of thing, so it's not really worth bringing it up with us.

Facebook and Youtube on the other hand, yes. Not that anyone on Youtube listens to anything, mind.

I was always partial to Scott Adams' philosophical hypothesis that the Big Bang was god's suicide. After all, what questions could remained unanswered for an omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being other than what would happen after he/she/it ceased to exist?

Adams argues that any time we see reality violating the laws of entropy, we're actually watching the gradual reformation of the suicided god... Kind of trippy.

Note the date I started this thread . Now consider how much has changed in this country ( USA ) that has shifted the whole culture toward secularism and away from religion .
The shift or swing of the pendulum is amazing . It also mirrors the political environment .
Subjects such as Gay Marriage and abortion issues now have a whole different narrative .
Did the religious rights attempt to force religion into schools cause a backlash so extreme that now its almost forcing the traditional institutions underground ?

TY Kent for making me try harder.
:cheers:

ga

Last edited by a moderator:
Note the date I started this thread.
Now consider how much has changed in this country ( USA ) that has shifted the whole culture toward secularism and away from religion . In many cases being " Christian " or being to religion focused is now openly mocked and ridiculed .
The shift or swing of the pendulum is amazing . It also mirrors the political environment .
While I somewhat understand your opinion, I don't understand your grammar. ..../...... Or should I put a space before every period, use "to" in place of "too"... or even use the mockery of minority opinion as grounds for suggested correctness?

I'm not saying there is a god or not (seriously, get that... Seriously).
I'm saying popular opinion should be no foundation for an opinion of such an important subject.

Btw,
Gwenbors,
Any time the universe violates the law of entropy "we" still exist, and so that's pretty much all the time and pretty much always awesome to me. :sly:

Last edited:
Apparently you can't delete a post. :(

That's okay, just gives us another chance to ogle at your avatar. ;)

I was always partial to Scott Adams' philosophical hypothesis that the Big Bang was god's suicide. After all, what questions could remained unanswered for an omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being other than what would happen after he/she/it ceased to exist?

Adams argues that any time we see reality violating the laws of entropy, we're actually watching the gradual reformation of the suicided god... Kind of trippy.

Never heard that one before, but it's an amusing thought.

I guess since my injuries I have learned to tolerate grammar nazis much better. There is no way you can know I am typing with hands that are barely functioning. Also my typing was never up to snuff to begin with .
So enough of disclaimer, try as I do to overcome the issue.
Now this , " shift " in public opinion , or culture. Its not my opinion , but an observation of how much has changed in the United States on the topic of Religion . Its importance is not in question . Like having 17 trillion in debt now is , to some , not an issue . When this thread began , the US had an influential Political coalition of evangelist and other Christian groups that where able to push this agenda by virtue of being a force in politics .
Now these same groups with the parties out of favour they support, and Religion itself being 44% or less of the population that votes minor interest , can no longer push for Creation or intelligent design to be taught in school .
In most places they are now openly mocked . That was a minority of people in the past and a small one thats now grown to a large minority if not makority.
Juxtapose Tim Tebow and how he was treated by the media vs. Recent US Football draft that featuted an openly homosexual man kissing his friend and being applauded.
So as much as the topic is still valid and important as ever , the shift in the political and cultural environment is huge and has swung hard in the secular to agnostic direction .
"Why did it happen and how ? "
Is a good topic . The popular media has helped shape the narrative but they would not be so popular if no one was thinking the way they present the subject .
Recent events like people having to resign over past statements against gay marriage, when this thread was started would have caused a backlash or never even happened , but now its somehow accepted . Or is it ? I think this started in 2004 . Ten years has changed much of the landscape in the USA .

I guess since my injuries I have learned to tolerate grammar nazis much better. There is no way you can know I am typing with hands that are barely functioning. Also my typing was never up to snuff to begin with .

I'm sorry to read that that's the case! It's none of my business but wouldn't it be ergonomically easier to omit all those extra spaces? There are also some really good easy-access text object addons for Chrome and Firefox (and maybe for iDrop) that help manually-restricted users, they're really good and I've seen them help a lot of people, they'll take a lot of effort out it for you :)

I agree with much of what you say in a wider context but it's a very US-centric view. In England there's a specific church but only about 2% of their population visit one more than every 6 months, Scotland's church is much more well-attended, the greatest regular religion in Britain overall is Isla'am... that means that the religious agenda across Great Britain is somewhat diminished on this subject. Northern Ireland (not part of Britain but part of their bullpoop 'Kingdom') does have a strong religious agenda so your observations would be more true there.

I'd hesitate to think that something like a paid paper in the UK is a natural reflection of public opinion; they're a sponsored outlet paid for and led by influential businessmen. Very often public opinion is being swayed by the agenda (for a US equivalent look at something like Fox News). UK TV is much stricter about such editorial bias on TV News (opinion segments have to be very clearly defined or separately programmed).

All the news outlets including major networks are exactly like fox but just put a left centric , spin on the news. Fox gets rich because by catering to the conservative and libertarian wings they have the only game in town . Fox has news thats second to none and that also gets them viewers such as myself . I just turn them off when the " opinion " starts .
BBC America is actually nice to watch because not being American they have to do acrual REASEARCH on a story !! Something our " news " networks just steal from NY times etc.
But back on topic , the change in Demographic and culture in the UK and its nieghbors is astounding from my perspective as a person who lived through the 1960 's and can remember in school , having to " duck and cover " because Russia was going nuke us . And watching the Irish blow up random people and buildings for most of my adult life , a " terrorist " was either Irish troubles or German / Palestinian.
I get to draw on that past to put todays events into perspective.
BTW actually not using aids to communicate is great for rehab and mentally refreshing , as with progress you get succcess and thats a good thing . So I take no offense anymore at critics , just appreciate it as motivation to try harder.
The world has evolved in my lifetime . But in the last decade it seems someone placed a rocket up its bumm .

All the news outlets including major networks are exactly like fox but just put a left centric , spin on the news. Fox gets rich because by catering to the conservative and libertarian wings they have the only game in town . Fox has news thats second to none and that also gets them viewers such as myself .

That is the most incredibly short-sighted thing I think I've read on this forum.

Why do you type that ? FOX took a deliberate conservative view and turned into megabucks , as every other network tends to take a liberal view . Nothing short sighted about it . Its money news now , not real but with a spin .
I am older and remember real news on TV and actual coverage of topics like IRS scandal on ALL networks not just Fox .
And Peter Jennings never got a tingle down his leg on air in worship of a political figure .

We had our own Brit doing "news " Piers Morgan ? He went on anti gun crusade in a news segment . I live here and watch this crap.

BTW KENT is that a desert eagle in your avatar ?
In our case this popular opinion is driven by politics , in my opinion . I use the President as an example and the intrusion of the government now into health care and forcing it on religious institutions such as Catholics with abortion pills etc.
Also look at how he changed with the tide on the gay marriage issue . This administration did promise to fundamentally transform America did they not . So I believe the switch to more secularism is deliberate as social engineering is a blatant part of this administrations attempt to transform the country ( space ) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you type that ? FOX took a deliberate conservative view and turned into megabucks , as every other network tends to take a liberal view . Nothing short sighted about it . Its money news now , not real but with a spin .
I am older and remember real news on TV and actual coverage of topics like IRS scandal on ALL networks not just Fox .
And Peter Jennings never got a tingle down his leg on air in worship of a political figure .

We had our own Brit doing "news " Piers Morgan ? He went on anti gun crusade in a news segment . I live here and watch this crap.

BTW KENT is that a desert eagle in your avatar ?

I think you're talking about US news channels rather than normal news channels.

Piers Morgan used to be the editor of a fairly nasty daily in the UK but lost his job when he faked some pictures of Iraqi prisoners being tortured. Everyone expected he'd end up in Murica, and he did. God alone knows why you sent him back :\

I think if you compare many US news feeds to those from other 1st world countries (which I and many on this forum do, I hope they'll back me up a little), you'll see that US news more often has a very narrow agenda. Sometimes those agendae can be linked directly to the channel ownership.

We get that in the UK in daily papers (very polarised for the most part) but not on the main three news channels (SkyTN, Channel 4, BBC). You'll find similarly balanced channels in Canada and much of mainland Europe.

This administration did promise to fundamentally transform America did they not . So I believe the switch to more secularism is deliberate as social engineering is a blatant part of this administrations attempt to transform the country ( space ) .

Well, to be fair the US constitution aims to separate church and state, making the United States officially a secular state (which is further backed up by the Treaty of Tripoli). Governments, unless they're totally hands-off, are in the business of social engineering. The Democrats (apparently) want a more progressive state, and in the West (with the exception of communism) secularism goes hand in hand with progressivism. The Republicans, on the other hand, seem (note my use of the word "seem") to want to create some sort of Christian state.

I find Reddit to be a far better source of news than US "news" stations, particularly in the area of technology and especially the Internet (the FCC's gutting of net neutrality being a recent example).

Its why I always get the UK perspective on US events as Brits have a unique way of sorting through bullocks.

Our group published a paper a couple of weeks ago - sadly I was not involved in this particular work, and hence I am not a co-author on this one :( - but a Creationist website has picked up on it and has managed to read something into it about intelligent design... quelle surprise. http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/06/bell-ringer_pro086451.html

Fantastic stuff!!!

In the last few years I've started believing more in 'energy' and how its subtleties actually alter those around us... if I play you a song I believe I change you somehow. If you tell me how your morning went it changes me somehow. Language and music are simply how we express that thought and energy further, so society is an inevitable part of the evolution of the machine. I'm not ready to become a white witch, I just think that there's a single type of life and in all its forms it does nothing more than propogate the base 'machine'.

Sorry about that, just had two espressos back-to-back rarrrrrr! :D

Our group published a paper a couple of weeks ago - sadly I was not involved in this particular work, and hence I am not a co-author on this one :( - but a Creationist website has picked up on it and has managed to read something into it about intelligent design... quelle surprise. http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/06/bell-ringer_pro086451.html

Is this why I've heard random "spirit science" types tell me to go study quantum mechanics whenever I question their anti-vaccine/GMO/anything view? IS IT?! :guilty:

No really it was random crap I created.

Kind of like spam? So what was the point?

DK
I find Reddit to be a far better source of news than US "news" stations, particularly in the area of technology and especially the Internet (the FCC's gutting of net neutrality being a recent example).

Definitely. Although you could arguably swap the word "Reddit" for "pretty much anything that's fact-checkable" :D

Back