DiRT 3 Event of the Week (23): CLOSED

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 529 comments
3:08.849 - Quattro S1

3:06.445 - Tacoma Special

I think I can improve on a few areas towards the end of this stage, so I'll be using the Tacoma for when I do. Stability though the tight and twisty section is important, so go for the most stable of the lot, of course.

I can as well, but after pulling off that hairpin, I decided not to.

I've been incorporating the use of handbrakes for getting myself into the correct angle before taking off lately.

I can as well, but after pulling off that hairpin, I decided not to.

If I nailed that hairpin and went on to set a fast time, then I'd do the same thing actually.

I know how hard it is to try and repeat a virtually perfect move on a certain corner or stage section, and I've failed to pull it off again every time. If I had more time, then it would make things much easier.

I was exaggerating; it's nearly impossible to do with the Audi and Peugeot... it's actually not hard with the Tacoma...the way I'm doing it that is.

What you do is slow down upon the entry... about as early as you would should you want to go slow through the inside of any corner. Instead of letting off the gas and turning, before you get into mid way of the turn, pull the hand brakes for a very brief moment, enough to get the car to spin around. Hopefully if you weren't too close, you can let the car turn in the right direction, and you can basically floor it while you're still halfway through the hairpin and not have excess wheelspin.

3:06.207 - Tacoma

Sorry, but I won't take that lying down. You left me no option but to try and top that, so 3:06.083 - Tacoma

I really mucked up the first part of the stage, mostly at the hairpin turn, but on my previous run I messed up on one of the left turns near the end, so that's where I made up the time I lost (even though I lost about 3/10ths on the final straight section). It's possible for me to get into the 3:05s, but I simply haven't got enough time today.

I'll throw up the next event at the usual time, but I have things to do before and after that.

Love Michigan and love the Open Rally cars (though I slightly tend to lean towards the WRX.)

Damnit. I doubt I'll have time to get in another run before you change it.

Sorry mate, new one went up at 5. :guilty:

Buuuut... you might have a better chance this time, if you can find the time to do it. Easier than the last one I reckon, but it should be more competitive as well.

Urgent Discussion:

How much can we cut on the track? In the very first hairpin, you can cut between the giant tire and the barrel drum. I have a time of 1:17.xxx because of it. It's not wall-riding since I drive skillfully in-between the 2 obstacles. :sly:

Acceptable? Up to you guys.

<- Fair player. :P

1:20.225 - Subaru Impreza WRX STi N12

Cutting that much seems a bit unfair imo, I only cut when I hear cut on the notes, like that small S after the Chicanes.

Pace notes fall deaf on AOS' ears. That's cool if you think it shouldn't be allowed. I personally enjoy discovering new ways to get on the edge... even so, you'll have to do better than 1:20.225 as the N12 the slowest cars for this event.

Funny thing is I don't even follow the instructions of the pace notes so its there just for the immersion on my end.:lol:

Tryed all three cars last night, kinda nervious about the Evo and N12 Subaru, but at the most confortable with the WRX. Going to try the Fiesta next, not sure what to expect.

The N12 and Lancer will have an extremely tough time here because they slide a lot due to their weight. The Fiesta isn't as bad with its shorter and possibly wider wheelbase.

The R4 is the best car for me so far because it keeps still through turns meaning I can travel a little faster without sliding excessively.

I've only tested the Fiesta out, and it seems like a competent car for this stage. I still need to get a time in though in all 4 cars, so I'll do that later.

Cutting that much seems a bit unfair imo, I only cut when I hear cut on the notes, like that small S after the Chicanes.

This.

Cutting the part AOS mentioned is a bit much in my book. I mean, that's not what I would do on this stage really.

Not creative, huh? :P

1:18.420 - R4

edjt: WOOOOO!

Get at me; No corner cut, Fiesta: 1:17.638... My corner-cut time was 1:17.638.

Last edited:
Not creative, huh? :P

I'll be honest now, but I did accidentally cut the hairpin just before the small wooden bridge around the halfway mark. If only to gain about 4/10ths over my previous time.

In the end I only managed 1:19.795 - Colin McRae R4

Get at me; No corner cut, Fiesta: 1:17.638... My corner-cut time was 1:17.638.

That's... wow. You say you have a pic of it too? I know you're honest about this, but I'd just like to see for myself (plus you're so happy that you just had to message me about it, eh?)

Oh, and where's Jim, Edwin and Wilk when you need them to destroy our times? :lol:

dsc01113fk.jpg

Let me tell you how to shave down another second or two.

For every turn you make, you must not let the car "slide" too much.

-First hairpin, get close to the tire (duh).
-The 2nd & 3rd turn; you should (or could) be going through those at roughly 80-84km/h.
-Cut the next two turns through the grassy fields, watch out for the sign post.
-On the next left, get close to the stack of wood, cut through the grass, you shouldn't need to let go of the gas too long. Some cars will need too because of all that weight, but if you enter from the far right, and allow a tiny slide initially, it'll be good. This can be passed through over 124km/h.
-Down the hill past the wide 2 bend, turn early so you don't end up sliding too far out or else you'll have to sacrifice speed to dodge the tire. A good cue is to look for that one tree and get around that as closely as you can.
-For the next left atop the hill, don't get too close to the left, there's a bump that will lift your left tiers off the ground killing a lot of time. Tap the brake for some stability before turning.

-Once you hit that checkpoint, you should have a time under 40 seconds. If not, just go restart.

-On the hairpin before the wooden bridge, again, try to cut around it quickly, by that I mean to brake earlier and allow a little slide for your car to point roughly in the direction you want to be headed in. You shouldn't be getting wheelspin even if you floor it. If you are, then you've let the car break the little bit of traction it had left.
-you might be curious about making the turn around the house and cutting that by plowing through a few wooden stakes that is the fence. Not a good idea. Don't worry too much about avoiding the grass. Don't turn too hard that you lose too much speed you built up on the bridge as the grass won't slow you down drastically. You should be heading through this turn with no brakes at 104km/h or more.
-Next turn. They say not to cut.... I put my wheels in the grass a bit before the ledge rises. Again, no need for brakes. If need be, let go of gas for a wee bit of lift-off oversteer, and get back on the gas quickly. you shouldn't be getting excessive angle in your slide, nor should your slide be lasting a really long time. If you find your car is beginning to slide, quickly counter-steer to get out of the drift.

-Go through the next few sections at full throttle, again, easy on the steering to avoid sliding.

If your time past this checkpoint isn't under 1 minute, you won't make 1:17.

-Now you're on tarmac, cut into the grass for an easier setup for the last hairpin.
-For the hair pin, brake earlier and if your car has the momentum, swing it left around the little boulder and floor it. This turn makes or breaks your time. What you absolutely need to avoid is letting your car slide for too long through this turn. If the speedometer is redlining, then you've let the car lose all traction and that's no good. To avoid redlining, don't hold the handbrake for too long if you choose to use it. I tap the handbrake to get the car to pivot around tight corners, but by tapping it, you avoid getting excessive wheelspin. If you screw this up, you'll have 1:18, otherwise, you should get 1:17 or faster.

Last edited:
Excellent job. 👍

Now I just need to test the other cars. I wonder if I can best my R4 time with the Fiesta? I think I can.

Oh I also wanted to mention, if you can handle the Fiesta or 5-door Impreza's slidier ways, you can best the R4, because of the last turn.

The R4 has weaker torque at low speeds so it loses out on hairpins compared to other said cars. The R4 seems quicker only because it's so light and you get less sliding around turns in general. Like I said, get better control of other cars, and you will beat the R4.

1'19.291 - Ford Fiesta

picture.php

The Fiesta is indeed the best handling, though it also help that I stopped driving like a stunt man and drove more like a circuit racer.

Edit: I am the 200th reply. Woot! :D

1:19.415 - Lancer Evo X

The annoying thing is that I know I can beat my ghost, having tried multiple times and ended up being a few tenths infront around the halfway point, but I somehow lose everything by the very end of the stage. Like, I managed to get it perfect on the final section on my previous fastest run, but I simply haven't been able to replicate it after hours of trying. I'd be lying if I said my patience wasn't wearing thin, my so I'm just going to leave it at that tonight I'm afraid.

Also, I gave the Fiesta a go earlier, and I simply can't get close to my other stage times with it. I'm not sure why I can't drive it as deftly as you guys, but it just seems so slow when I'm using it compared to say, the R4, or the Evo X. The Impreza N14 is slower than anything else, and the Impreza N12 doesn't seem as stable as the rest.

Last edited:
The N12 sucks, let's be honest.

Also, you guys should only be braking 3 times , 4 at most this route; the very first hairpin, the upward slope towards the hairpin before the bridge (optional), said hairpin, and the very last hairpin. Everything else you can let go of gas on.

You can count me in beginning next week, seeing as I got this for free I'll be happy to participate if I have the car to do so.

Just have to install the darn thing and get going.

You also need to blaze through career mode or something and unlock at least one of each vehicle; livery doesn't matter.

Also, you guys should only be braking 3 times , 4 at most this route; the very first hairpin, the upward slope towards the hairpin before the bridge (optional), said hairpin, and the very last hairpin. Everything else you can let go of gas on.

That's exactly what I do. Just can't seem to string a faster time together, especially at the last few turns and the final hairpin in particular.

The hairpin before the bridge is a bitch at times, but getting that one wrong isn't as bad as messing up at the very end of this stage.

You can count me in beginning next week, seeing as I got this for free I'll be happy to participate if I have the car to do so.

I don't know how much competition you'll have, seeing as the usual members who regularly top the leaderboards appear to have vanished in the past few weeks. It does seem that AOS is the new jimftr now though. :lol:

Seeing as I'm away from my PS3 until tomorrow at the earliest, I decided to do something AOS suggested to me by selecting an event from the last EotW. It should be interesting to see if we can improve over the times we set last year, and to see what the newer participants times will be.

Back