Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,048 comments
IMG_4291.jpeg

Musk claims he wrote the first maps on the internet.

lbkfsmp4lnxc1.png

Last edited:
The good news is that fewer and fewer people are still believing his ****. Reddit is having a field day with this post.
I read a couple threads about it on Reddit, & it's interesting that in a couple of the Programmer-based subreddits, what he's talking about isn't super-out-of-line. Like, some of this is achievable in how he's described it, but the wording is poor & clearly indicates he doesn't have a full grasp of the terms he's using (shocker). In addition, there were a couple users who described this as more of a, "Back in my day" claim b/c this process he's attempting to describe was reportedly not super-complex for programmers in the 90's; there was just very few of them.

I personally can't debunk it one way or the other b/c I know nothing about it, but since it's coming from a man who routinely exaggerates & lies about his upbringing, that's enough for me to "Press X to Doubt".

I mean, I read the line, "Couldn't afford a Cisco T1 router" & without even knowing exactly what that was, I still know there's baloney to this. Musk was not hurting for any wealth in the 90s. In fact, one of the very threads highlighted that his mother got him access to a mapping API from Navteq & used that to launch Zip2. MapQuest would later close out Zip2, but Elon retained the license for free.

I was also on reddit and this sweary exchange between Musk and his developers asking them to rewrite the Twitter stack from scratch without being able to describe what was wrong with it was... concerning.

Proposed law: On Sundays people named "Elon" should be tied down in the nearest public park and free hammers provided to all citizens for use on their testicles.

We may catch a few innocent Elons with this one, but I think the net benefit to society will be more than worth it.

Proposed law: On Sundays people named "Elon" should be tied down in the nearest public park and free hammers provided to all citizens for use on their testicles.

We may catch a few innocent Elons with this one, but I think the net benefit to society will be more than worth it.
You didn't put it up for a vote that will be legally binding!

Nitpick. It's free speech provided it's your property or done with the explicit consent of the property owner. Protections for expressive acts don't extend to all conduct tangential to the expressive act.

Nitpick aside, the penalty proposal is idiotic and functions solely as pandering to a base composed entirely of broken toys.

I'm mostly amused that you can see the how wavy the panel gaps are on the tailgate area that people insisted were only present on early preproduction prototypes from that picture taken 20 yards away.
Remind me, to how many micrometres are all Cybertruck panels again?

Elon has found another way to piss off Tesla owners or those who consider buying a Tesla. Make them pay extra to use the full capacity of the battery they are carrying around in their Tesla.

As a footnote, I'm thinking that NOT paying the extra may improve battery longevity, but that's another story.

Elon has found another way to piss off Tesla owners or those who consider buying a Tesla. Make them pay extra to use the full capacity of the battery they are carrying around in their Tesla.

As a footnote, I'm thinking that NOT paying the extra may improve battery longevity, but that's another story.

Is this why Tesla is struggling? The extra "unused" batteries in the 260 mile version aren't free, and at the moment they're just sending them out in the hope that later on they might be able to convince some people to pay a macrotransaction to unlock extra range.

Why not just sell people the car that they bought? I can't imagine that the efficiencies of only building one battery pack size are so great as to be able to just give away batteries like this. It seems like a complicated way of setting money on fire.

Notwithstanding that it's absolutely guaranteed that someone figures out how to hack the additional range for free now that he's told everyone it's there.

Notwithstanding that it's absolutely guaranteed that someone figures out how to hack the additional range for free now that he's told everyone it's there.
They should already know - I recall that Tesla "unlocked" the range a few years ago to aid people who were evacuating to avoid Hurricane Irma in Florida, and has probably done so a few times since in similar circumstances.

In fact most automotive battery packs don't use the whole battery, and most manufacturers advertise the capacity and the usable capacity - although 20%-25% is a bit excessive. Most that I'm aware of have a 2-3kWh buffer (possibly also as a redundancy); even the 120kWh Mercedes EQS has a 118kWh usable pack, and the 77.4kWh Kia EV6 is 74kWh usable.

Although I bet VW and BMW are kicking themselves now that they didn't think to hold 20kWh of capacity away and sell it back on subscription.

Back