Extreme F1 aero designs

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Hun200kmh, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Hun200kmh

Portugal Lisboa
    PSN:GTP_Hun

I was looking for pictures of a particular F1 Ferrari with two rear wings and by googling "F1 rear wings" together with words like "funny odd double strange illegal" and maybe a few more, I found some amazing concepts. So I thought it would be interesting to share here - in a era where most of the aerodynamic refinement goes into invisible or barely visible parts of the cars - a few strange experiences made in other eras, when engeniers were still trying their ideas - sometimes quite crazy - with wings.

This is a model of the car I was searching, the Ferrari with two rear wings:

[​IMG]

And this is a picture of the rear wing (with built-in double diffuser :D ) of a March that I had never seen before:

[​IMG]

2. Ardius

United Kingdom Manchester
    PSN:Ardius_

Ligier JS5 'teapot':
    [​IMG]

March 711:
    [​IMG]

Arrows A22 with the top wing for Monaco:
    [​IMG]

Similar solution for Jordan:
    [​IMG]

LionF1 Project:
    [​IMG]

The 1972 Eifelland 'periscope':
    [​IMG]

Brabham BT46 'fan car':
    [​IMG]

Tyrrell 1997 'X wings' (plus single piece nose-wing):
    [​IMG]

Ligier JS21:
    [​IMG]

McLaren MP4/10 "mid-wing":
    [​IMG]

Tyrrell P34 (6 wheeler):
    [​IMG]

Williams 6-wheeler prototype:
    [​IMG]

Ferrari 6-wheeler prototype:
    [​IMG]

Ok, I was taking a bit of liberty by putting 6-wheelers and the fan car in there, but I can't not mention them when we talk about "extreme" F1 cars :p

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. Justin

Premium
    United States Minnesota
    PSN:Northstar3914

Never knew about the Ferrari dually. :drool:

4. Hun200kmh

Portugal Lisboa

Another strange experiment with rear wing(s): The "Boomerang" Tyrrell 012

[​IMG]

EDIT: Notice also the huge diffuser ...

5. Blitz187

Premium
    Netherlands 020 A'dam
    PSN:Blitz187

So looking at these pictures only one questions keeps coming to mind... Did any of those crazy/extreme aero packages work? :)

6. Peter

(Banned)
    Jamaica
    PSN:pj-gm

Well, I can tell you that the Arrows and Jordan top wing for Monaco was quickly banned before we could see it in action. The Brabham BT46 did work very well, actually winning races, but was banned. The Tyrell P34 possessed large amounts of grip, I don't know if it won anything, and I think it was also banned.

7. yeti

The Shire of Glou
    PSN:yeti_c

Anything that worked too well got banned basically!!

C.

8. Clark

Online Now!
    Premium
    England Birmingham
    PSN:Duffers999

The Gordon Murray-designed Brabham 'fan car' won it's first race by 34s at Anderstorp (in Lauda's hands) and the was subsequently banned. Apparantley the FIA didn't believe it was solely for cooling, and following drivers didn't like having debris thrown at them out the back of the car.

I think the P34 may have had limited success aswell.

9. ND4SPD

Premium
    Canada Guelph ON
    PSN:JeffZ28

Wow all of those are pretty damn cool. I can't imagine how comical the LionF1 car would have been though. The boomerang tyrrell, x-wing tyrrell and 6 wheeled williams are my favourite.

10. Ardius

Has someone been reading F1 Racing? ;) :p

Well, the 6 wheelers proved quite effective, allegedly the Williams was going to be quite competitive before all such configurations were banned.

Mid-wings are still seen today in a fashion with shark-fins, but were one of those "percentage" additions.
    Same for X-wings, which were effective but didn't bring huge amounts. They were banned because they could catch the wheel gun cables easily in the pitlane and effected the driver's ability to get out of the car. They were used by a lot of teams though, so they must have brought some decent benefits. There were Ferrari and Sauber X wings too if I remember right.
    The Arrows A22 front top wing apparently did bring a fair bit of downforce according to Arrows, but it was banned on the grounds of hampering the driver's vision. Same for the mini wing on the Jordan.

Eifelland's periscope mirror wasn't banned at the time, the team just collapsed. The air intake in front of the driver wasn't very effective either and the car lacked downforce and suffered overheating issues.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  11. Mmm, apologies if this isn't at all what you had in mind -- but an interesting bit of Formula One nonetheless.

In 1982, Ferrari ran two equally-sized wings on each car, one slightly forward of the other, with the rationalization that no amount of wings was specified in the regulations. Apparently there was some earlier tomfoolery with 'water-cooled brakes', which would put the cars of some teams at minimum weight before the race, after which point the water was jettisoned to the tune of 50 kg advantage.

As Clive James observed in the official review of that season, after Gilles Villeneuve finished third "...we all finally found out what that rear wing was for, it was to get him disqualified. Under that special morale-busting official dispensation, which ensures that a driver must first lay his life on the line before being told that his efforts were in vain." There's great footage out there of Gilles Villeneuve powering down the straights of Long Beach in pursuit of Keke Rosberg's DFV-powered ground effect Williams. The whole 1982 Season Review as narrated by Clive James of the United States Grand Prix West is quotable :D

12. CAMikaze

Premium
    Japan @ Suzuka Circuit in GSR Spirit. ^_~
    PSN:GTP_CAMikaze

I liked the Tyrell 'Ant-mobile' myself. ;). I was lucky enough to see it in action via the film Lap of the Gods where they mounted a camera high up on the car and angled down so that we can see how the front 4 wheels did their job in turning the car on the Monaco street course where that particular clip took place.

As for the X-wing racer, was there sponsorship on the car from the people promoting the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy the weekends that car was running?:dopey:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Dunno how many times it came back to the pits right after it left to do a lap of the track...:D

13. Stiggy

Australia New South Wales
    PSN:thestig-13

Arrows A2
    [​IMG]
    Ensign N179
    [​IMG]
    Honda RA108 'Dumbo Wings'
    [​IMG]
    BMW Sauber F108 'Horns'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1978 McLaren with second front wing
    [​IMG]
    Ferrari 162C2
    [​IMG]
    Lotus 88
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  14. NapoleonMikey

Charleston, SC
    PSN:NapoleonMikey

That actually is one of the coolest F1 cars I've ever seen. :tup:

15. Prince.M5

Malaysia Kuala Lumpur

Also this.. The front horns of the BMW Sauber F1.06, Magny Course.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Owh, also the BMW Williams FW26 :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  16. PeterJB

Online Now!
    Premium
    United Kingdom Corsham, UK
    PSN:lipming

Is the front wing supposed to be unsymmetrical? Or is it broken on the right hand side?

17. boiltheocean

Premium

I love those! Especially the McLaren.

18. Ardius

Broken:
    [​IMG]

19. Bram Turismo

Premium
    Belgium Belgium
    PSN:bramturismo

I know few people were fan of it, but I absolutely loved the FW26. I still think it looked by far the best car of 2004.

20. Prince.M5

Malaysia Kuala Lumpur

Eventhough I'm a BMW fan itself, but I still think it looks weird... BTW, I know it looks unique that time and it also looks other than the other from the rest of the grid. Awesome... but weird :(

21. Stevisiov

Premium
    United Kingdom England, Warwickshire
    PSN:GTP_Sigma

+1

I think it looks supremely cool.

22. Dijital Majik

London
    PSN:GTP_Majik / Majik893

+2

It looks like a stealth F1 car. Livery is actually nice too!

23. daan

Online Now!
    Scotland Scotland
    PSN:GTP_daan

Why don't you look things up before you post?

The BT46 won one race at Anderstorp in Sweden, before the fan was banned.

The Tyrrell P34 ran for a couple of seasons ('76-'77), winning one race in Anderstorp in Sweden. It was never banned*, but they lost support from the tyre manufacturer who made the small fronts, and they became uncompetitive, so they reverted back to normal sized fronts for their next cars.

* The rules were later changed to state that the cars must have 4 wheels, but the P34 was never banned during it's life.

24. prisonermonkeys

Staff Emeritus
    Antarctica Wanderland

I'm guessing nobody has seen the proposals for the new IndyCar chassis?

25. Hun200kmh

Portugal Lisboa

And another, from the "winglet era". The Renault R26:

[​IMG]

26. Ardius

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125476

To quote yourself:
    Not an Indycar thread :p

27. 130tc

London

You aint seen nothing yet, just look at the trends hitting f1 this season. The area around the rear wing is going to get more and more winglets in a quest for more downforce. Also, check out the Brake ducts

[​IMG]

28. 130tc

London

Woops, Double post!

29. PeterJB

Online Now!
    Premium
    United Kingdom Corsham, UK
    PSN:lipming

I think their was a far more dramatic change between '08 and '09 than is going on now. The only real changes this year are that the cars are a bit longer to accomodate a larger fuel tank, no wheel covers, and a few extra bits of carbon fibre put on the wings. Other than that, they are more or less the same as last years models.

Was that deliberate? Because it doesn't look as if you've done any editing to the post. :)

30. daan

Online Now!
    Scotland Scotland
    PSN:GTP_daan

Lets go back a few years...

1969 McLaren M7c

[​IMG]
    Clicky

You get a few minutes to edit a post without the edited post text showing up

Next Page »