F1 2011 noob help please!

• Thread starter diablo6vt
  • 40 comments
Hi guys I'm running F1 2011 on a PS3 - I'm new to the series and there are some things I can't figure out and it doesn't help that CM doesn't explain much in game.

1. What does the DRS detection and activation lines look like? I run in cockpit view, and is there an indicator on my screen wheel or anywhere else that I can tell when DRS is ready?
  2. I read somewhere that you can change the fuel mix while driving, but exactly what button do I have to press to change it?
  3. I'm still on my first season, started off my career as the 2nd driver but quickly overtook the main driver in points. That opened up R&D challenges for me, but I can't figure out how to choose my R&D paths. Again, what buttons do I have to press?

Help!!! :ill:

1 there's a wee green light that goes on the top middle right of the steering wheel, its not very easy to see in cockpit view tbh, but I think it goes green when available and flashs when activated. I use T-cam so not 100%

2 I use the up on the d-pad, when you press it should come up with fuel map press up again and it gives you a choice of setting, you can also change what tires you want at your next pit stop in their once you have both prime and options used or its raining.

3.I'm not sure tbh don't even know if you can think you just beat him and do the challanges the team set you and you get more upgrades then they'll offer you 1st driver at end of season. But not sure as I'm on my 1st season also and haven't played 2010

Hi guys I'm running F1 2011 on a PS3 - I'm new to the series and there are some things I can't figure out and it doesn't help that CM doesn't explain much in game.

1. What does the DRS detection and activation lines look like? I run in cockpit view, and is there an indicator on my screen wheel or anywhere else that I can tell when DRS is ready?
  2. I read somewhere that you can change the fuel mix while driving, but exactly what button do I have to press to change it?
  3. I'm still on my first season, started off my career as the 2nd driver but quickly overtook the main driver in points. That opened up R&D challenges for me, but I can't figure out how to choose my R&D paths. Again, what buttons do I have to press?

Check the race circuit/track map to see where the drs zone is; on track there are small makers on side of track and also line on track.

What wheel are you using?

Fuel mix on my G25 is directional arrow buttons on my gear shifter (left arrow, then choose corrsponding arrow for your selection).

I have yet to figure out which button to begin tyre selection before pitting in when conditions change (intermediate versus full rain).

I think R&D will be a choice in Engineer's menu when in garage (same as F1 2010 ) I think (not at R & D stage yet)

Also check out Codemasters F1 2011 Forum (I just joined up) 👍

I also have a PS3 G25 set up for F1 2011 thread going :)

Cheers,

[*]I'm still on my first season, started off my career as the 2nd driver but quickly overtook the main driver in points. That opened up R&D challenges for me, but I can't figure out how to choose my R&D paths. Again, what buttons do I have to press?
[/LIST]

The R&D paths are indeed in the Engineer menu when you're qualifying (at the top of the list of options). Pick the R&D objective before you hit the track and it will be added to your qualifying objectives.

I had a little trouble myself locating the DRS. It's not immediately obvious.

In cockpit view, a green light up on the wheel in the drs zone or always on during qualifying. Once pressed it will flash until disabled.

Jacques, the tyre selection is bound to the down arrow - so hit the down arrow twice and, for example, then the right arrow if you'd like to have option tyres.

Thanks guys... I'll try these out and get back to you all. Though I'd say offhand I still have a tiny bit of doubt, because for example I recall pressing all buttons (including directional left/up) while driving but the fuel menu just doesn't show. And I also remember trying to hit all buttons at the Engineer screen but again I didn't manage to change the R&D path away from the aggressive one.

Btw @Jacques I run a G27 :)

Ok tried it all out, some updates...

Issue 1: DRS zones
-I found the green LED on the screen wheel thanks, incredibly hard to see though, when you're zipping by at F1 speeds. I still don't see markings on the track nor map though. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Issue 2: Fuel mix
-I tried hitting all directional buttons in race, no luck. Could it because I was running a 20% race?

Issue 3: R&D path
-Nope, still can't seem to change R&D paths from the Engineer menu. I'm starting to suspect this is a once-a-season decision made at the start of a season by the team's first driver.

I still don't see markings on the track nor map though. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for.
It's a white line running across the track, with a white DRS sign to one side. If you have the mini-map zoomed in, there should be a black line at the activation point on the map.

If you still cant find DRS zone go to nurburgring the DRS zone is the long straight before the chicane there's a line and a DRS sign right after turn 12 just as you go on to the straight. Also when in a race and your within 1s of a car you should hear a beep noise.

you can change your fuel in 20% races, I suggest you go to the option where you change your buttons. As I don't know what wheel/controller your using

When you have a challange in practice you accept it in the engineers menu, driver challanges menu just keeps a tally of how many times you have beat your teammate. The R&D path is in the screen on your car next to car setup but I don't think you can change anything just shows your upgrades and your R&D path ( my R&D path is aggressive I didn't choose this so I don't know if this is because I'm still not 1st driver or It's based on your driving style or something ???)

You only get to choose R&D path when you're the number 1 driver. To be the number 1 driver you need to sign a contract where you are the number 1 driver, so you have to wait until season 2.

You only get to choose R&D path when you're the number 1 driver. To be the number 1 driver you need to sign a contract where you are the number 1 driver, so you have to wait until season 2.

^ Not necessarily. I am on my first career season and I've had a few R&D objectives. I never played F1 2010 but I'm pretty solid in GT5 so I thought I'd start out with intermediate difficulty to learn the tracks and get a feel for the handling etc. Turns out I can pretty much wipe the tarmac with the other drivers at that level. My Lotus teammate hasn't scored 1 point yet and I've remained top dog from the beginning. That may be why R&D paths are opening up for me.
Next season, when I turn up the difficulty, won't be so easy!

^ Not necessarily. I am on my first career season and I've had a few R&D objectives. I never played F1 2010 but I'm pretty solid in GT5 so I thought I'd start out with intermediate difficulty to learn the tracks and get a feel for the handling etc. Turns out I can pretty much wipe the tarmac with the other drivers at that level. My Lotus teammate hasn't scored 1 point yet and I've remained top dog from the beginning. That may be why R&D paths are opening up for me.
Next season, when I turn up the difficulty, won't be so easy!

R&D objectives is something everybody gets, you're getting confused rather than just being awesomely skilled as you so put it.

R&D Path is when you get to choose what your team develops for upgrades to your car, and being a number 1 driver only happens when you get a contract, as i said.

R&D objectives is something everybody gets, you're getting confused rather than just being awesomely skilled as you so put it.

R&D Path is when you get to choose what your team develops for upgrades to your car, and being a number 1 driver only happens when you get a contract, as i said.

Ha! Thanks, but I never said I was awesomely skilled. I said I'm a new to codemasters F1 games so please forgive my ignorance but in response to: "you have to wait until season 2.", well, I'm playing my first season (without being offered any contracts) and I've had R&D objectives.

Ha! Thanks, but I never said I was awesomely skilled. I said I'm a new to codemasters F1 games so please forgive my ignorance but in response to: "you have to wait until season 2.", well, I'm playing my first season (without being offered any contracts) and I've had R&D objectives.

R&D objectives are when you get challenges to unlock new upgrades. R&D path is in the menus system at a track, you can see your upgrades and also it shows how your team is approaching development.

As number 1 driver you get to choose how your team does the development (which is not available in the first year) and you also get upgrades first. I've beaten Rubens in every race so far, but I am the number 2 driver as per the contract, he will get the non objective gained upgrades before me, and that is the same for everyone in season 1, being a rookie.

R&D objectives are when you get challenges to unlock new upgrades. R&D path is in the menus system at a track, you can see your upgrades and also it shows how your team is approaching development.

As number 1 driver you get to choose how your team does the development (which is not available in the first year) and you also get upgrades first. I've beaten Rubens in every race so far, but I am the number 2 driver as per the contract, he will get the non objective gained upgrades before me, and that is the same for everyone in season 1, being a rookie.

This is 100% correct.

Ok, then if I can pry someone's brain - Bigbazz if you're up for it.
How, why, and when do you use Kers?
I've read up on it but it would be nice to hear it from some "real" F1 drivers.

The only person I know on these forums that could ever come close to answer this question is Shhiny48 who lurks in the iRacing thread.

I use it in qualifying on the straight before the start/finish line (because it resets as you pass it, giving you a full bar again)to ensure I start my lap at the highest possible speed. and accelerating down the longest straight to get the most ammount of time spent at high speed.

In the race, use it heavily on the starts and throughout the race when its needed in order pass/defend.

As far as I know it differs from driver to driver, a lot use it as an extra boost of power out of corners. Others who find themselves needing to overtake use it in tandem with DRS, especially if they're having difficulty passing a car that's quicker in a straight line than theirs. It's just a matter of driver preference.

Thank you. Yes, I was wondering why I wasn't getting fast starts like the other cars.

Edit: Going back to the track now! Thanks for the tips, guys.

Thank you. Yes, I was wondering why I wasn't getting fast starts like the other cars.

Edit: Going back to the track now! Thanks for the tips, guys.

A few good tips for using it for overtaking, especially if a car close in front is proving troublesome to get past, use KERS coming out of the last corner before the DRS detection point to make sure you're within a second of the car in front (save it if you're pretty sure that you're within a second anyway) and use it coming out of the corner before the DRS activation point to make sure you stay close enough for the DRS to be effective enough to pass (remember that the car in front has KERS too!), any KERS left you can use to give your car an extra kick when overtaking (only if required).

The above can also be used in reverse if you're the one doing the defensive driving. If you're using a high downforce setting then you'll lose speed on the straights, you can use KERS to mitigate this to an extent, very handy if the car behind you is right on your arse.

The best way to use it in my opinion when you're not attacking another driver or defending against him is to use KERS to help balance out your weak points, as above a high downforce setting on your car will mean you're losing time in the long straight(s) so use it directly after the corner before one to boost your acceleration, use quite a lot of it thus helping to balance things out a bit. If you think that cornering is your weakness or if your car is set up for low downforce then use it in a short burst coming out of each corner you feel that are slowing you down the most, you should get about 3 boosts per lap doing it this way.

Lastly as Bigbazz has already pointed out, use it at the start every single time, but make sure you get plenty traction first if you have driving aids off or it will be messy.

I'm by no means an F1 driver :lol: but from watching a lot of the BBC F1 coverage this is what I've taken in about KERS and some of it is just my preference playing F1 2011.

In qualifying I use DRS like mad LOL every tiny striaght I stick it on as soon as I've got out the corner and have traction.KERS I mainly use on the exit of pretty much every corner exit just a little bit and try and keep a 1/4 for the before the finish line. In a race it really depends on how the race is going I just use KERS when it's needed unless I have clear track infront of me...then I'll use it the way I do in qualifying unless I'm trying to reduce tire wear or something.................. But always try and make sure you have traction if you use it while wheels are spinning your really just wasting it and make your wheels spin more ....I think :)

you can change your fuel in 20% races, I suggest you go to the option where you change your buttons. As I don't know what wheel/controller your using

I'm using a G27, and I have the default mapping of up/down/left/right mapped to the gear shifter's dpad... Still nothing, and I'm at wits end :(... Could it be related to game difficulty? I have mine on custom

I'm using a G27, and I have the default mapping of up/down/left/right mapped to the gear shifter's dpad... Still nothing, and I'm at wits end :(... Could it be related to game difficulty? I have mine on custom

Fuel simulation disabled?

In qualifying I use DRS like mad LOL every tiny striaght I stick it on as soon as I've got out the corner and have traction.KERS I mainly use on the exit of pretty much every corner exit just a little bit and try and keep a 1/4 for the before the finish line. In a race it really depends on how the race is going I just use KERS when it's needed unless I have clear track infront of me...then I'll use it the way I do in qualifying unless I'm trying to reduce tire wear or something.................. But always try and make sure you have traction if you use it while wheels are spinning your really just wasting it and make your wheels spin more ....I think :)

Using DRS on the tiny straights is pretty much ineffective, at lower speeds there isn't that much aerodynamic drag created by the car and the engine is more than powerful enough to compensate for it anyway, it's pretty much a waste of time unless you are hitting high speed and there's drag actually affecting the speed of the car.

The way you're using KERS isn't much benefit either, using so little at any one time isn't having much effect on your acceleration especially if the corner doesn't have a decent straight after it or you're trying to correct a slight error in your corner exit speed, I've never seen or heard of an F1 driver using any less than a quarter of the stored KERS at any one time.

You're correct about that one, using KERS while you have no traction or low traction is a complete waste and will hinder rather than help you 👍

The way you're using KERS isn't much benefit either, using so little at any one time isn't having much effect on your acceleration especially if the corner doesn't have a decent straight after it or you're trying to correct a slight error in your corner exit speed, I've never seen or heard of an F1 driver using any less than a quarter of the stored KERS at any one time.

Actually just yesterday at the Singapore qualifiers I heard about and saw Webber intentionally using KERS in spurts of 20%... Didn't understand why though but I guess he knew better :)

Because there are five sections of the circuit where KERS would be useful: along the main straight, along the back straight, the run down to the Singapore Sling, back up the Esplanade Bridge, and finally - and most importantly (because it enables the driver to carry speed into his next flying lap, and thus go faster) - the short straight before the final corner.

Hm, I'm always using it to speed up to ~315 in qualifying (along the main straight) and then a bit after slow corners - keeping ~20% for the last slow corner before the finish line. I'm also activating DRS whenever I can, no matter how short the straight is since it's still an (even minor) advantage. Am I doing it wrong? :odd:

Last edited:
Back