F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

Same as me, the other programs I've seen her in I have found her very annoying to say the least, and kind of cringy to watch. The gadget show for example.

Cringy is a great description.
Only just noticed this thread today and I'm big fan of F1 and I look forward to discussing the 2013 season with all you guys/girls in this thread.:)

A lot of female presenters actually fear "ageism" where most male presenters tend to get kept on when they get older and don't look so good.
That may well be the case, but it doesn't excuse the sexist assumption that a woman was placed in the role simply to give male audiences something to look at.

Things have changed in France too: the pay-tv (40 euros / month) group of (4) channels Canal+ just grab TV rights for the next 3 years. This means F1 is leaving the leading (audience-wise) channel in Europe, TF1, for a one which have more or less as many subscribers than the previous F1 audience in the country. And as far as i know, only a fraction of them would be willing to watch F1 GP. Hence the expected hit for F1 popularity (in quantity, as the GP coverage is expected to be better with Canal +).

Having people concerned by losing access to F1 is a premiere here. I wonder in which extent this means F1 business could shift from one model (high audience, sponsoring) to another (lower but more qualified and ready to pay people) in future.

It have been pay-per-view for a long time in Sweden, so I was kind of surprised at the outrage about it last year when UK switched to pay-per-view.

I guess Formula 1 hasn't the same cultural weight in Sweden than in UK (where most of F1 team are located), and to a lesser extent, France.

It have been pay-per-view for a long time in Sweden, so I was kind of surprised at the outrage about it last year when UK switched to pay-per-view.

I don't get how you can be surprised. People are always going to kick and scream about having to pay extra and/or being unable to watch. The same would happen in any country in similar circumstances.
But obviously its always going to sound like a bigger outrage because a lot of the motorsport press are from the UK - e.g. Autosport. So its always going to seem like its blown out of proportion compared to other countries simply because other countries do not cover the sport to such an extent.

Why are people surprised by natural reactions?

I don't get how you can be surprised. People are always going to kick and scream about having to pay extra and/or being unable to watch. The same would happen in any country in similar circumstances.
But obviously its always going to sound like a bigger outrage because a lot of the motorsport press are from the UK - e.g. Autosport. So its always going to seem like its blown out of proportion compared to other countries simply because other countries do not cover the sport to such an extent.

I was more surprised at people like Martin Whitmarsh saying it's terrible for the sport and so on, but I guess those people didn't realize that it was already pay-per-view in many countries with smaller audiences.

Whitmarsh was trying to do his typical appeal to the fans PR, not genuinely expressing a concern. This is the same Whitmarsh who later said how the deal with Sky was fantastic for everyone.

And what does that have to do with the BBC or Sky? :confused:

Are you joking?
BBC and Sky are broadcasting F1 so where there broadcasting from ie where will the U.S GP be held is in the broadcasters best interest,(and mine)don't you think?

Are you joking?
BBC and Sky are broadcasting F1 so where there broadcasting from ie where will the U.S GP be held is in the broadcasters best interest,(and mine)don't you think?

Nope. You've lost me. We have other threads where this question would have been more appropriate. Regardless of the venue, it is of little consequence for you, the viewer. I am sure that those in charge of booking flights/hotels etc at the BBC and Sky are already aware of the location of the 2013 USGP.

Nope. You've lost me. We have other threads where this question would have been more appropriate. Regardless of the venue, it is of little consequence for you, the viewer. I am sure that those in charge of booking flights/hotels etc at the BBC and Sky are already aware of the location of the 2013 USGP.

Yes another thread but at least I know I thought this was also the F1 general discussion too.

Are you joking?
This thread is about the BBC and Sky sharing the F1 TV broadcasting rights in the UK.

Do you think that there's any possiblity that either broadcaster might turn up at Elkhart Lake and wonder where everyone else is?

You've got the right sport, so well done on that point, but your question has absolutely no relevance to this thread.

Please don't call yourself Stig-anything if you can't use Google.

Also, we don't have an "F1 discussion thread", we have an entire forum for all motorsports, of which various F1 topics, teams, and races are discussed in a topical manner.

Please don't call yourself Stig-anything if you can't use Google.

Also, we don't have an "F1 discussion thread", we have an entire forum for all motorsports, of which various F1 topics, teams, and races are discussed in a topical manner.

Yes ok good point but why no general discussion thread?

This thread is about the BBC and Sky sharing the F1 TV broadcasting rights in the UK.

Do you think that there's any possiblity that either broadcaster might turn up at Elkhart Lake and wonder where everyone else is?

You've got the right sport, so well done on that point, but your question has absolutely no relevance to this thread.

If you say so.

Whitmarsh was trying to do his typical appeal to the fans PR, not genuinely expressing a concern. This is the same Whitmarsh who later said how the deal with Sky was fantastic for everyone.

More than likely because of McLaren's Tooned programme.

Tom
More than likely because of McLaren's Tooned programme.

As I said at that time, money talks. ;)
Anything anyone does "for the fans" is purely for PR, not genuine attempts at getting us a better deal or improving the sport...unless that it comes with benefits to do with money or media exposure.

Its still annoying to keep seeing everyone in F1 patting themselves on the back about DRS even though its not really improved anything - although it seems most people disagree with me on that.

The popularity of F1 also is a major bone for contention. Because of it's sheer popularity theirs greater clamour to demand it to be widely available to view.

Theirs no media interest in the UK for any form of rallying except for highlights of the ERC. ITV4 have got rights to show highlights of the WRC but even then it is to be only to cover Mexico, Argentina and Portugal and TWO DAYS after the event. Nothing in place for other rounds. Why no big stink about Rallying being subscription and not being able to view? Because Rallying doesn't have the same cultural reach as Formula One. You ask anyone not in to Rallying to name as many top Rally drivers as they can and many would struggle to name one. The only people kicking up a stink about Rallying only being available to subscribers of satellite channels and not for those whose income can only stretch to free-to-air TV are the fans of Rallying.

The only problem with your theory is that the BBC and Sky have absolutely no control over the calendar. They're not in any position whatsoever to influence it. No broadcaster ever has been. How on earth did you come to the conclusion that they held any degree of control over it, much less enough control to move the race around at will?

The only problem with your theory is that the BBC and Sky have absolutely no control over the calendar. They're not in any position whatsoever to influence it. No broadcaster ever has been. How on earth did you come to the conclusion that they held any degree of control over it, much less enough control to move the race around at will?
I never said they had any control over where GP's are held just where they're being held for BBC and SKY's sake for broadcasting not whether they decide where they're held.
Anyway I know where the U.S GP is held this year and looking back I should've search google,
silly me.:)

Theirs no media interest in the UK for any form of rallying except for highlights of the ERC.

That's not strictly true. Welsh language channel S4C has 'Ralio+', which is a WRC highlights package of all the rounds.

That's not strictly true. Welsh language channel S4C has 'Ralio+', which is a WRC highlights package of all the rounds.

Yeeessss....I forsee one small snag with that and I think you think I think what it is. And it is somewhat obvious.

Pleased to see more BBC coverage. Still have to wait till the third race, hopefully I'll pleased later on in the season but really deflating on new season starting hype.

EDIT: just looked at the calender for the second live race and its Bahrain, making for a real slow start on live coverage.

Here's some figures for 2012

8a1c558597639800f5f4ccedcf1b0.png

While a drop and seen as quite negative on the sites reporting the figures, to me they get the money from europe sub packages and beyond and still pretty good highlights views.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back