Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
Fanatec, isn't this wheel supposed to be belt driven? If so, why does it appear to make noise like the G25, as if it were gear driven?

Also why didn't you guys use a Happ servo motor? That's what's in my wheel and it is strong enough to rip me arms off!

cdcdude, any other testers: if you have a PAL copy of the PS3 game Formula One Championship Edition, can you test if the force feedback they patched this game with a month or two ago is working with this wheel? In the US that FFB patch is not yet available, but the PAL version of the game works fine in US consoles. Since every other PS3 game that supports FFB does seem to work according to the Fanatec FAQ, and F1:CE wasn't patched for FFB until after that FAQ was published, I'm hopeing it works as well. I can't imagine Sony is re-patching all the old games this wheel supposedly works with (NFS Carbon, for example) so I wonder if this wheel just appears to the PS3 as a G25 or works with the same drivers, lending credence to my hope it will work with the newly FFB-enabled F1:CE PAL version. I have pre-ordered the wheel but since I don't even have my PS3 yet, I don't see spilling $80 for an import version of the game until I find out if it may work, or if the US version will not be getting the FFB update.

I am sure it will work since Sony apart from Microsoft wants as much third party support as possible of course :).

How much did your wheel cost btw Isamu? Price is always what limits what hardware is used. The 911 would perhaps be as cheap as the G25 if it used 2 smaller ffb engines :)

its expensive.. because its lil bigger.. wireless.. and it has a PORSCHE logo on it hello.. even if it did had 2 smaller FFB engines.. it would be still expensive

Okay, according to a Playstation EU forum, the US version of F1:CE got the force feedback update today. If you have the wheel, this game (& get the update) please test and report back. Thanks

- NO real car steering vibrates like that when you are on the gas....If they do, then the car have some serious mechanical problem.

Actually, you can have (sometimes quite serious) vibration issues feeding back through the steering wheel in a real car. Many cars are prone to "wheel hop" if pushed too hard. The spinning wheel begins to bounce up and down off the ground, feeding back into the chassis and/or steering depending on the layout of the car (and breaking things in the process sometimes as well!) If Fanatec has managed to map this properly, it would be a great addition to force-feedback systems.

Yea, please double check. From the official pics, I don'the see how the shifter can be mounted independently (same way as g25). If the only way to mount it is via the two bars, that would suck.

Yea, please double check. From the official pics, I don'the see how the shifter can be mounted independently (same way as g25). If the only way to mount it is via the two bars, that would suck.
Look to this image:

16rw4ce7.jpg

The H shifter is fifted to the cockpit with a special double bar modification. It´s very probable its can´t be fifted directly to a table.
I have asked about if its has holes for screws to fit to a cokpit, but I never have get a response (really this image is my response).
If the shifter has not been modified before the launch of the 911TW, we will must to invent some to fit the shifter.

The pedals look like they can be screwed on to something. There are a lot of screws holding the bottom plate on, so i think you could some how screw it to something. As for the shifter, unfortunately it seems that the bottom has nothing to screw to. =( I guess we do have to figure some other way. The two metal bars work pretty damn well though, but i would like to have it lower sometimes too. hmmm...

Oh and the Vibration motors are awesome. It is like playing with a buttkicker if you have a seat, it makes the whole seat vibrate!

Look to this image:

16rw4ce7.jpg

The H shifter is fifted to the cockpit with a special double bar modification. It´s very probable its can´t be fifted directly to a table.
I have asked about if its has holes for screws to fit to a cokpit, but I never have get a response (really this image is my response).
If the shifter has not been modified before the launch of the 911TW, we will must to invent some to fit the shifter.

Well, lets see if that extension is available out of the box. And if it is I wonder how sturdy it would be. No point in guessing then, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The pedals look like they can be screwed on to something. There are a lot of screws holding the bottom plate on, so i think you could some how screw it to something. As for the shifter, unfortunately it seems that the bottom has nothing to screw to. =( I guess we do have to figure some other way. The two metal bars work pretty damn well though, but i would like to have it lower sometimes too. hmmm...

Oh and the Vibration motors are awesome. It is like playing with a buttkicker if you have a seat, it makes the whole seat vibrate!
Thanks very much for the info.

cdcdude: if you have some spare time, could you say me the width of the base of the pedals?.

I have a pair of ideas to fit the shifter with screws. I will count after the reception the wheel and try.

I just posted this over on the Live For Speed forum too: Okay, first off let me say that I have ordered the 911 wheel and should be part of this initial customer (not beta tester) shipment, which hopefully will go out soon. I'll post my impressions after having paid full price (and with the ability to return it for a restocking fee should I not love it- and I better for that price!) I chose to try it out over a G25 for several reasons: I want to get GT5 for the PS3, as well as try this wheel out on several PC sims, which I am very much a rookie at. The wireless was important to me since my PS3 will be in a different room (for example, the range now on the crappy M$ wheel for the 360 & Forza 2 is fine from my main AV rack to my racing seat room, and hopefully this will be too.) Also the lights on the buttons switch between PS3 mode and PC mode, and FFB is adjustable outside the game software, which is nice when you play a mix of console and PC games. I also understand the G25 owners wanting this wheel to be lesser quality than their baby, however, I'm trying to keep an open mind. If I don't like this, it's going back and I'll move my console or try the G25 with a USB extender (although lag could be an issue there.) The one thing that kills me so far is people trashing this wheel and especially shifter for "looking like a toy." Although I have not gotten mine yet in the flesh, it's ironic that I saw that YouTube video first the exact day I went ot the Washington, DC Auto Show. The Porsche booth had several open cars, including the 911s, where you could sit in, shift, use the pedals, etc.., on the real car. Since Fanatec says the wheel AND shifter(s) are finished in the same shop that stitches the same leather on the real deal Porsche's, I wanted to see what it looked like in the real car. Seeing that video, it looks identical. The shifter in the new Porsche's does look like it has that somewhat plastic-y silver finish with the leather knob, exactly like the Fanatec. The wheel looks the same as well. So if the G25 feels more real for you, then you simply prefer that kind of wheel finish vs. what is in a real $100k Porsche. I'm not a Porsche fan-boy. I drive a BMW E46 M3 cabrio (and wish BMW Sauber would license an F1-style sim wheel instead, or an alcantara M3 wheel!) However, I do think the Fanatec in the video looks just like what's in the car, so maybe check the source before you label something toy-like. Peace, out.

BMW wheels :) (drools)

BMWSW.jpg

for me i would wanna get a nice Mercedes wheel heeh

either way they cant go wrong :P
mercedesSW.jpg

and the most i would love to see this wheel

sorry that its a video. but i cant find any pics...

at around 4:03 mark you can see the wheel and the shifter... now that would be lovely :)

This is more like what I saw at the auto show last weekend, from a 2007 997:
porsche_911turbo_coupe_2007_interior_steeringwheel_640x480.jpg

porsche_911turbo_coupe_2007_interior_gearshift_640x480.jpg

Check the wheel, pedals, and shifter- pretty exact looking to the Fanatec, at least from what I compared on the YouTube video and their website to what's in the car.

BTW, I was told yesterday that my wheel should be arriving soon, as they were stuck in Customs for about a week but due to be released yesterday or today. Fingers crossed...

What are we comparing in particular?

i meant the wheel and pedals and shifter of the real 911 turbo.

as i posted in the youtube comments, i wonder if both shifters can be used at the same time, and if the sequential can be used as a handbrake. as far as i know, none of the german testers have even gotten their wheels yet... so it will probably be a while before i get mine :(.

looks darn impressive :) altho i wish the shifter had a much better design.
i dont think ill get it.. since Gran Turismo 5 Wheel should come up with GT5 game, ill get that instead since it should be best setup for the game

jaguar this is just marketing... that fanatec uses the porsche emblem is marketing... People think it´s a better wheel because it wear the porsche emblem... The GT 5 G25 may actually be a slimmed down cheaper version really. It should be if you see how logitech does things...

wingman formula force belt driven then cheap wingman formula force GP

MOMO Force red then cheap MOMO Racing... DFP in some ways better in some ways worse then the MOMO Force red... Then G25 which I feel is the best will so far by logitech... Next version will be a budget wheel on what they learned from the G25 I am sure. But if this wheel is successful it means they may not dare to go to cheap :).

But that it´s "an official wheel" doesn´t make it a better wheel... Xbox 360 wheel it´s the only official ffb wheel for the 360 and it´s rubbish ;)

Whats up with the shipment of the test units?? Anyone receive any updates? On 1/24 I got an email saying that they'll ship it out in a few days, but already a week has gone by. I've filled out the confirmation on line and all of that, but no updates. The website doesn't even update saying you've confirmed, just rejects you if you confirm again.

Deadline for reviews and a decision to buy or return is the 15th, so Fanatec are you planning on delivering the wheels to us on 15th along with a copy of the bill?? :odd:

Your product better be 🤬 good.

Well product launches tends to be post poned so no reason to be all upset about that... Though it´s of course frustrating lol. I am sure that if we don´t get it this week at least they will prolongue the testing period.

Last update was a couple of days ago. If you go into your profile you see a little y which means you have accepted the terms for being a beta tester :). If you can´t accept it again you are fine.

BTW, I was told yesterday that my wheel should be arriving soon, as they were stuck in Customs for about a week but due to be released yesterday or today. Fingers crossed...

As far as I know they were being told the wheels should clear customs the end of last week, so hopefully delivery this week. I don't know if this was just for those of us in the US (is that US Customs they meant?) or if they meant on the outbound side.

Well product launches tends to be post poned so no reason to be all upset about that... Though it´s of course frustrating lol. I am sure that if we don´t get it this week at least they will prolongue the testing period.

Last update was a couple of days ago. If you go into your profile you see a little y which means you have accepted the terms for being a beta tester :). If you can´t accept it again you are fine.

(y) what is that & where is that? i also am to recieve this wheel.

I don't see it there. When I log in it says welcome community tester. If I try to confirm again it tells me I have entered max confirmations.Anyway I'll be glad to get this wheel & test it.Pretty good discount if we decide to keep.

Back