Far Cry 4 (November 18)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 212 comments
How many of you will be buying FC4 on previous gen? If so, were you satisfied with the previous one on PS3/X360?

Just curious.
I will be getting the X1 version (still need to buy the X1). In fact I don't think I will be buying any more 360 games at all.

I will be getting the X1 version (still need to buy the X1). In fact I don't think I will be buying any more 360 games at all.

Hmm.. yeah. Makes sense I suppose, since you have all the multi-plat releases on both gen consoles.

I think I'm going to stick to the X360 for a while, and in a year or two if I ain't got the moolah to get a PS4/X1, I might as well just give up on gaming altogether.

Not too happy about that, but life goes on just fine.

It's weird hearing Booker DeWitt's voice in Pagan Min's body. It's a bit like Joe Mantenga in "Criminal Minds" - every now and again, he slips into his Fat Tony voice.

That said, the writing in that scene was brilliant. Hopefully it's consistent with that throughout the game.

I was listening to the Inside Gaming podcast the other day and they made a very good point. Vaas in the previous title was a 'fortunate' accident. It was well voice acted and designed but I didn't think they anticipated the success of that style of villain. I really hope they build on that style of character development, but not carbon copying him into this game, which I slightly suspect they will.

That said they also made the point of, is Jason really the good guy come the end of the game? Does his motivation slip. What are this characters motivations in this game to go round and brutally murder person after person?

I know that was mental diarrhea and probably just gobbledygook. But I hope someone gets my points of concern :lol:

I know that was mental diarrhea and probably just gobbledygook.
Not at all. There is an increasing trend towards serious themes and genuine storytelling in games these days. Audiences want to get invested in characters and worlds, and in order to do that, game developers need something more sophisticated than "kill all of these Nazis/Russians/terrorists/bunny rabbits and go into the next room". FAR CRY 3 and 4 represent that kind of storytelling. Vaas and Pagan Min represent absolute power and the worst of human nature in an environment where there is no societal limitation. You can overthrow or destroy that evil, but the question the games pose is what the cost of that is. The player, as Jason, can wage a brutal and bloody one-man war on Vaas and his cohort, but in doing so, he can potentially become as great an evil - if not worse - as Vaas.

Not at all. There is an increasing trend towards serious themes and genuine storytelling in games these days. Audiences want to get invested in characters and worlds, and in order to do that, game developers need something more sophisticated than "kill all of these Nazis/Russians/terrorists/bunny rabbits and go into the next room". FAR CRY 3 and 4 represent that kind of storytelling. Vaas and Pagan Min represent absolute power and the worst of human nature in an environment where there is no societal limitation. You can overthrow or destroy that evil, but the question the games pose is what the cost of that is. The player, as Jason, can wage a brutal and bloody one-man war on Vaas and his cohort, but in doing so, he can potentially become as great an evil - if not worse - as Vaas.
I agree entirely. For all its interesting themes, I think that is where Farcry 2 lost out a bit (As well as all the nothingless driving) is that it lost its storyline. I love storylines like the one in Farcry 3 and from what I can tell will be Farcry 4, I just worry for the game series, it ends up repeating itself by having the same plot lines.

Innocent man (character) gets attacked by local militia > militia kills someone close to main character > character meets very interesting enemy leader > character tries to get revenge on leader while overthrowing said militia group > Character gets lost in himself

Well, this time around, Ajay is himself Nepali. And the entire story is structured around exploration. I'm guessing that, for all his brutality, Pagan Min won't have too much of an effect on the day-to-day lives of the population - until Ajay shows up. So as pure as his intentions may be, Ajay could well become a symbol of corruption and evil to the locals. Especially if they learn of the apparent connection between him and Min.

Well, this time around, Ajay is himself Nepali. And the entire story is structured around exploration. I'm guessing that, for all his brutality, Pagan Min won't have too much of an effect on the day-to-day lives of the population - until Ajay shows up. So as pure as his intentions may be, Ajay could well become a symbol of corruption and evil to the locals. Especially if they learn of the apparent connection between him and Min.
Good point! Should make for an interesting plot twist to say the least!

Ultimately, it's going to come down to execution. Yes, there are elements of a retread here, but I see similarities with SNAKE EATER, and that was a game where characters whose politics, morality and ideology were largely defined by an existing structure, only to be thrown into an environment so far removed from that structure that they might as well have been on Mars, and so they were really on this frontier where they had to decide for themselves what was worth fighting for, what was worth killing and dying for, and what was worth betraying them for.

1408743093-far-cry-4-tweet.jpg
1408742805-far-cry-4-yuma.jpg

...I think that is where Farcry 2 lost out a bit...is that it lost its storyline...

...Innocent man (character) gets attacked by local militia > militia kills someone close to main character > character meets very interesting enemy leader > character tries to get revenge on leader while overthrowing said militia group > Character gets lost in himself
Substitute your mercenary character in FC2 for innocent man, and the Jackal as an interesting adversary and you essentially have the same basic plot line as in FC3 - just lightly tweaked.

That elephant video was great. :lol:
Dang how did I forget about this game.... Ahh November is going to be a busy month for games.

This game is going to be worth playing for the dialogue alone.
I hope Pagan Min gets more screen time than Vaas did, I am right in saying Vaas only got around twenty mins at most. I don't mean a massive overuse, it just seems like a waste of a great character to me.

Anyone find out for sure all the specific information about the co-op? Is it truly a FULL co-op campaign or is there a "catch" to the co-op??

Back