Feel fast when going fast; better sense of speed

Agreed. Motion blur, when used properly, is realistic. However, motion blur is also kind of a polarizing effect, so I think all games that use it should make it optional.

While the notion of motion blur may be realistic, motion blur in real life occurs naturally from (you guessed it) motion, it's not a filter or special effect.

Which I guess is why, like anti-aliasing, I'm not a big fan of "motion blur" in games. It's a visual trick that IMHO usually doesn't come across as looking all that good or realistic.

Just like the proper way to reduce the visibility of aliasing is to increase pixel density and rendering resolution, the "proper" way of achieving realistic motion blur would be a setup that fully encompassed your field of view (VR would probably be the most practical way of achieving this) and that had butter smooth refresh rates (120+ Hz, ideally with the game being rendered at that natively rather than the TV or VR headset doing some in-between frame processing bullcrap).

...Not easy to achieve, certainly, but it's the ideal implementation. And if it's not feasible, then just like I do with anti-aliasing, I'll go without it.

I agree with the sound - duh - but I prefer the video basically as it is. Jitter for example, I don't think the "auto-correction" for it works good if your body isn't shaking in parallel.

Visual effects are for demos.

While the notion of motion blur may be realistic, motion blur in real life occurs naturally from (you guessed it) motion, it's not a filter or special effect.

Which I guess is why, like anti-aliasing, I'm not a big fan of "motion blur" in games. It's a visual trick that IMHO usually doesn't come across as looking all that good or realistic.

Just like the proper way to reduce the visibility of aliasing is to increase pixel density and rendering resolution, the "proper" way of achieving realistic motion blur would be a setup that fully encompassed your field of view (VR would probably be the most practical way of achieving this) and that had butter smooth refresh rates (120+ Hz, ideally with the game being rendered at that natively rather than the TV or VR headset doing some in-between frame processing bullcrap).

...Not easy to achieve, certainly, but it's the ideal implementation. And if it's not feasible, then just like I do with anti-aliasing, I'll go without it.
To achieve "true" motion blur, you're going to need picture frequencies of possibly more than 200 frames per second, and to avoid aliased edges in VR, you're gonna need a VR headset with a 500 megapixel display. Of course, this is the "optimal" way to achieve the most true to life sensation of speed, but I kinda want things to not look aliased and also for things to look like they are moving closer to their actual speed while I am waiting for the 20+ years it's going to take us to get there.

Obviously, we have entirely different opinions on this matter, so you'll be happy to hear that I've always been of the opinion that motion blur should be an optional setting.

Back