FFB 1.12 Update

• Thread starter DRambo
  • 758 comments
I would like to be able to set settings for each car and the game remember them. The game remembers ABS and TC for each individual car.

Have you raced a real car? Most wheels need the FFB set high to feel anything like a real car. Otherwise there just isn't enough resistance to feel realistic.

Maybe sims should start giving us seperate sliders for steering weight, and another for force feedback because when they only give us a couple options we need to make due with what we have.

And what we have in GT6 isn't good enough. They ruined what was some of the best FFB
Em. Have you never driven a race car going quicker than parking lot or car-park speeds? Or anything with slicks? The resistance drastically reduces as your pace increases. Like an unbelievable reduction. The wheels are hardest to turn at a complete stop with no PS system. The resistance in steering also depends on a lot of settings. The biggest on a well setup car is accel and decel diff lock. If you're running 75% lock, yeah, turning will blow. If you're running 25% or progressice...that is childs play. And aside from being 5'9", I am horse jockey size and weigh about 145...still don't have problems turning wheels on slicks in a 2xxx pound car, sprint kart, etc. At speed, that is. At a stop, like I said, I've got to put some muscle into it.

I understand what they did. There is only so much force the wheel can generate. To get more feel you need less rotation resistance.
I got an old DFP and it's horrible now. The problem is that I was already at 10 to replicate real car feel (I don't know what/if you guys drive but my 1500kg car with 235mm front tires and -2 camber won't let me turn the wheel with one finger).
So now I have nowhere to go.
The game is ruined for me.

Loving it on DFGT. The wheel is a lot lighter around the centre but weights up really nicely as you increase the steering lock. In road cars and other race cars like the MKIV it's lighter than full on race cars like the Toyota 7 (which now requires quite a physical effort to pilot around for more than 10/15 minutes).

Overall it's a much more progressive feel, far more realistic to me (and much more PC sim like). It's also meant that my wheel went for 2 hours this morning and barely got warm.
your settings?

I understand what they did. There is only so much force the wheel can generate. To get more feel you need less rotation resistance.
I got an old DFP and it's horrible now. The problem is that I was already at 10 to replicate real car feel (I don't know what/if you guys drive but my 1500kg car with 235mm front tires and -2 camber won't let me turn the wheel with one finger).
So now I have nowhere to go.
The game is ruined for me.
What do you drive on 235s, that you can't turn the wheel with your finger. That is ridiculous. I could do this in my E36M track car. At a stop? No...but that sort of torque would break a DFGT or G wheel. You would twist the wheel off the logitech column. Like I said - motion changes the story completely in terms of resistance. Our wheels can't handle true, real life torque levels and such. You need a fanatec or bodnar (sp?). G wheels and thrustmasters can't replicate legitimate, real life driving between torque and road feel. If the motors didn't burn out in a week, something would snap. I've snapped steering column knuckles and guibos made from serious steel on my E36 at a stop. Once I was moving, but only turning the car around as I was letting it cool down.

After like 30-50 miles per hour, you nearly don't realize the lack of a PS system. The wheels should be hard as hell to turn at a stop, but that is not possible in gt6 with our wheels. It might be a little stiffer or chattery. But, it just sound like they're distributing things better. Coming from cars and karts, the most recent FFb sucked. Far too many bumps that I could see, but not feel. That was on FFb1-5. And there were plenty of bumps that clearly sent so much ffb that you felt the bump begin and then...nothing. Just the jolt upon contact, not driving over a kerb or whatnot.

Through typing and reading about the new FFb system, I think I've actually come up with a solution for people who are dead set on needing more resistance. I just have to price the components out.

...Actually the Thrustmaster T300/500 wheels offer more torque than any Fanatec wheel currently available. But still around 1/3 of what a Direct Drive wheel can offer.

I could never understand people running g25/27 on ffb10. You could hardly move the wheel. All the subtleness and feeling was removed. I used mine on ffb3 which seemed to give a good weight and feeling for almost all cars.

You've obviously never done Karting in real life... You can't really move the wheel unless you're moving, and even then you have to go fast to be able to turn it to a easily.

@332i - FFB 10 felt fine to me, I could tell the differences between everything going on with the feedback and was pretty quick with it too. I think setting it to 10 and not having the Simulation settings to go with it is stupid, but using the Sim settings as well as the 10 FFB gave the car a realistic feel, and I did say racing cars. Those things without power-steering and wheels so heavy you have to do 100+ mph to turn them easily. Which was reflected in GT6... Besides, I'm heavy handed and 10 felt right.

I'm slowly getting used to the new FFB style but it's still lacking slightly. I do like that the high grip and high downforce cars tend to be harder to steer but road cars are like turning a ships wheel, there's nothing there. I do like that you can feel the rumble strips more clearly now instead of it just being a judder on the wheel though.

You've obviously never done Karting in real life... You can't really move the wheel unless you're moving, and even then you have to go fast to be able to turn it to a easily.

No I have. I agree about Karts, but GT is about a thousand different cars, 99.9% of which are not Karts and would not have such heavy steering.

Edit: I will try GT6 Karts now to see how it feels.

@332i - FFB 10 felt fine to me, I could tell the differences between everything going on with the feedback and was pretty quick with it too. I think setting it to 10 and not having the Simulation settings to go with it is stupid, but using the Sim settings as well as the 10 FFB gave the car a realistic feel, and I did say racing cars. Those things without power-steering and wheels so heavy you have to do 100+ mph to turn them easily. Which was reflected in GT6... Besides, I'm heavy handed and 10 felt right.

I'm slowly getting used to the new FFB style but it's still lacking slightly. I do like that the high grip and high downforce cars tend to be harder to steer but road cars are like turning a ships wheel, there's nothing there. I do like that you can feel the rumble strips more clearly now instead of it just being a judder on the wheel though.
If you had it on 10, yes, you think it felt right and that you felt everything. I had it on ten from day one until this past spring and felt like I had been pissing the wheel away. For certain, you are not/were not feeling everything that you could. No matter how much you think you do. Been there mang.

What do you drive on 235s, that you can't turn the wheel with your finger?

E46 and I really like the way it feels. I guess I drive a bit faster in the game than the real life. Yes, RL resistance goes down, I understand. But the game just feels way too light (and the deadzone is just brutal).
I understand it's personal preference. I was thinking about buying a better wheel anyway.

After some more testing laps :

I'm quite sure my G25 do not miss any effects (curbs, bumps, offroad, even joints at the very begin/end of sierra bridges). That's great but... I've lost all of original strenght. Definitely too weak.

Mr Badger, I have just tried PD Shifter Kart and I can say that it feels exactly the same as before update. Weight of wheel does not seem to have changed, irrespective of the fft/ffs settings. It's heavy, but not as heavy as a real Kart, but the difference is there when compared to a road car.

E46 and I really like the way it feels. I guess I drive a bit faster in the game than the real life. Yes, RL resistance goes down, I understand. But the game just feels way too light (and the deadzone is just brutal).
I understand it's personal preference. I was thinking about buying a better wheel anyway.
Ok, well my commuter car is an e46, coincidentally lol. Can easily turn wheel at a stop with my pinky. That's not with the crappy boosted '01 steering rack either. 2005 zcp rack. Shortest lock I've ever had in a road car. No problem. Like I said, I am horse jockey size, besides height. A string bean.

It really sounds like you just need to find the right setting combo. I never get in my cars and think "omg, one feels way different than the other!"

My e46 barely has anymore resistance at any point compared to FFb settings 1 and 2 from update 1.11 on my g27, which are noticeably softer than 10. Ten is unrealistic. It is too stiff when it shouldn't be and maxes out when you don't want it to.

Turning in hard on FFb 10 at 450/670* lock feels ridiculous compared to turning in with my e46, e36 full on track car (not auto-x crap), and kart. The e46 turns in with far less resistance. Far too many people have loads of resistance set in their heads as being realistic. If that is the case, drive a car that is heavily geared to the track, because you haven't most likely. The resistance and the way it fades between gt6 and IRL is not how ten feels at all. The old FFb system was more unrealistic than the current.

It's going to feel lighter. Get used to it and find a sweet spot on the settings. I guarantee you, you'll have more control, feel more of the car and road, which means your tunes will be better, your reactions will be of better quality and speed, you're accuracy and consistency will increase, etc.

During the lotus TT at spa, I turned the FFb down from 2 ton and picked up about a half second. Plenty of resistance and more ffb.

As far as I am aware virtually all modern racing categories employ power steering.

I tried the 908 which I know before had good FFB but it felt horrible to drive after the update. I also found I'm more likely to go off track going in a straight or straightening for exits as it does not feel as precise in steering as before, anyone else experience this?

I tried also the FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo and that much different FFB effects to me than ever before in GT game, might be promising if they build on it though and looks they have a lot of work to do to make all cars feel decent.

Yeah the feel is improved, but the resistance is way too light now.

Everyone who likes the FFB strong will likely be let down by the strength, while those who like it set lower will be able to get close to the feel they were used to before.

For those who prefer high FFB and drift, I feel your pain. It feels like im hovering around.

Putting it on a 10 in GT6 was sooo bad for it lol. Glad I didn't do it for long.
If that is the case than gt6 broke my wheel with their incompatible settings which were marketed as compatible and I want a new one. Where do I file a claim?

It also feels like the front of the car is skipping all the time.

This is how i would describe the sensation I feel while turning with my DFGT. In other threads I described it as "when I take a turn in a Mid-Engine Rear Wheel Drive car my wheel still feels more like a Front Wheel Drive Front Engine car that's slightly plowing..." It has that little skip, skip, skip sensation to it.

It seems to me, from reading FFB reports in several threads, that G27 users have mixed feelings on the new FFB settings. Some love it, some hate it. With the DFGT, however, it seems the vast majority are disappointed in the new FFB settings.

I'm currently using 8 & 10 as my settings and it does feel better than the default settings, but it still feels dead for the first few degrees of turning. You know how when you were driving a fairly high powered car (pre 1.12 update) and you caught a little bit of air the steering wheel felt incredibly light because the tires were off the ground for a second. That's kind of how the wheel feels all the time now!

I'm sure it's something we will just have to get used to.

I think it would be helpful if people posted their settings when they comment in here.

Em. Have you never driven a race car going quicker than parking lot or car-park speeds? Or anything with slicks? The resistance drastically reduces as your pace increases. Like an unbelievable reduction. The wheels are hardest to turn at a complete stop with no PS system. The resistance in steering also depends on a lot of settings. The biggest on a well setup car is accel and decel diff lock. If you're running 75% lock, yeah, turning will blow. If you're running 25% or progressice...that is childs play. And aside from being 5'9", I am horse jockey size and weigh about 145...still don't have problems turning wheels on slicks in a 2xxx pound car, sprint kart, etc. At speed, that is. At a stop, like I said, I've got to put some muscle into it.

Obviously. That doesn't change the fact that most sims need FFB set on high settings to get even a little bit of wheel weight. GT6 included. Even if you're going at race pace, there is still some wheel weight. You say it as if there isn't which couldn't be further from the truth. It's lighter, but it's still there.

Back