FITT Wagon & SUV Tuner Challenge

FITT Tuner Challenge – 525PP Wagon/SUV Testing by MCH
DS3, ABS1, grip reduction real, all other aids off

Ridox2JZGTE Nissan Stagea 25t RS Four S '98 fast lap 1:23.903
This car needs more mid-corner grip. The LSD settings look good. The brake balance looks good. I would recommend a few things. First, play with some negative front toe and see if that increases front grip. Also try more front camber like 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9. ARBs seem reversed to me. The car is not rotating around the center, around the apex. I would also try higher front springs and lower rear. All of these things may help a little. There is one thing that I cannot understand for this tune; the 5 speed gearbox. Why did you choose to skip the fully customizable transmission? The five speed close ratio gearbox is not optimal for this track. Second gear is too short so it lives only in high rpms and tops out quickly, leaving a bit of gear lag shifting into third. Fourth and fifth are too tall. Second and third gears need to carry more of the load than fourth and fifth. If transmissions are not in your tuning capabilities, just do the tranny trick that has been posted all over GTPlanet. Even just doing this will create a better box than one of the standard ones. DC 6

I intentionally use the 5 speed, I want to know how fast the car would go with 5 speed close ratio, I guess it's not good enough. Thanks for the review and advice, I tried to use simple toe and camber like I used on other 4wd cars - the suspension tune is quite similar to my GT4 Celica rally car for Deadnutseven race at Autumn Ring Reverse. Maybe my driving style makes it like that, I always prefer + toe up front and no too much camber.

The ARB, yeah, not sure about that, it just feels right to me.

Screw that, that's yet another time I've been pipped to the top by a teammate. Solo is always best, it seems, you can always reap all the rewards yourself. :lol:

My Final Results - Added my time and DC, didn't feel I could rate my own car above Xande's Audi, but, for once, I actually really enjoyed getting back in my own car after having run everyone elseÂ’s. This doesn't happen often, I'm usually distraught on returning to my own car. Maybe I should stick with 4WD cars, I seem to do ok with them in these events.

Here's my lap below. I could have gone 0.3 - 0.4 faster, but I couldn't improve on the big lefthander at the back of the track, nor the final corner. I was slow through the first sector and out braked myself after the final tunnel. Entry into T1 was pretty scrappy too, lots of smoke!! Sorry about the quality, had to do it on the mobile :crazy:

{Cy}

Hello every one ,

Looks like I missed much fun this last 3 mounts . And I hope I can come back with some strong tunes .
@MCM nice shootout sir well done .

ND:dopey:

Damn it, DC is preventing me from breaking into the top 2. :lol:

Lap Time and DC are separate awards this time. They do not get added together for this competition. CyKosis just edged you off the podium. Hoping to see a few more testers by Friday.

Hello every one ,

Looks like I missed much fun this last 3 mounts . And I hope I can come back with some strong tunes .
@MCM nice shootout sir well done .

ND:dopey:

Welcome back.

Lap Time and DC are separate awards this time. They do not get added together for this competition. CyKosis just edged you off the podium. Hoping to see a few more testers by Friday.

Ahh, oh well. :P I had less time than usual to prep my entries, so I'm happy with that the Subaru at least is getting relatively good times and feedback.

Damn it, DC is preventing me from breaking into the top 2. :lol:

Sorry about that Ripper. It won't last, the trend so far has your car faster than mine for all the other drivers. I'll revel in my brief moment on the podium though :)

{Cy}

I intentionally use the 5 speed, I want to know how fast the car would go with 5 speed close ratio, I guess it's not good enough. Thanks for the review and advice, I tried to use simple toe and camber like I used on other 4wd cars - the suspension tune is quite similar to my GT4 Celica rally car for Deadnutseven race at Autumn Ring Reverse. Maybe my driving style makes it like that, I always prefer + toe up front and no too much camber.

The ARB, yeah, not sure about that, it just feels right to me.

You may want to try test driving for a few of these competitions. My tuning really improved once I started test driving. Kept getting beat by RJ, CSLACR, Roj, Adrenaline, ACSR, Praiano, etc. Test driving allowed for me to see what others were trying. I used what I liked from their methods and tested, coming up with my own way that fit for me.

Of course, as I have progressed, I am not sure what has happened to ROJ? :nervous: :)

Of course, as I have progressed, I am not sure what has happened to ROJ? :nervous: :)

Occasionally I engage the crazy part of my brain. Previous examples of my madness can be found in one of the Nurburgring shootouts where I entered a 400PP Insight that still had the CVT gearbox. :lol:

The Stagea is really heavy, so even with full weight reduction, you can still load up half a Veyron's worth of power at 525PP. That's more than enough to overpower the tyres and because I kept the R33 drivetrain, it still remains crash-proof on the limit. :D

Im pretty much done testing all the cars. Im just waiting on Roj and krenkme to accept my FR to finish all of them.

I like when Hami drives. My cars tend to end at the top of the pack. :D I get to enjoy the brief triumph before coming back to reality. :lol: Thanks to all who have driven my car. I will respond properly and hand out sunglasses for the next one I send out the world.

Occasionally I engage the crazy part of my brain. Previous examples of my madness can be found in one of the Nurburgring shootouts where I entered a 400PP Insight that still had the CVT gearbox. :lol:

I still have nightmares about that evil you set on us.... :scared:

My Final Results - Added my time and DC, didn't feel I could rate my own car above Xande's Audi, but, for once, I actually really enjoyed getting back in my own car after having run everyone elseÂ’s. This doesn't happen often, I'm usually distraught on returning to my own car. Maybe I should stick with 4WD cars, I seem to do ok with them in these events.

Here's my lap below. I could have gone 0.3 - 0.4 faster, but I couldn't improve on the big lefthander at the back of the track, nor the final corner. I was slow through the first sector and out braked myself after the final tunnel. Entry into T1 was pretty scrappy too, lots of smoke!! Sorry about the quality, had to do it on the mobile :crazy:

{Cy}

beautiful firefight 1; 20. *** good:tup:

Wow, a bunch of great feedback already! The Legacy is doing about as expected as due to that bit of understeer that was present on my final tune. I am glad that tester can keep pace with the Nissans and still averaging less then a second a lap behind those quick Audis. Also, good to see that testers like the boxy Element. It was great car for terrorizing the Topgear test track in online lobby freerun. :dopey:

Im pretty much done testing all the cars. Im just waiting on Roj and krenkme to accept my FR to finish all of them.

I see that Roj responded. Krenkme, are you all set with this friend request?

Let me know when you finish testing. Thanks for being a test driver.

I was trying not clutter up the thread, but couldn't figure out how to make it public. So here is the text.

FITT Wagon Shootout

525PP
ACSR421 Subaru Impreza Wagon STi '00
Fast Lap of 1:20.635
DC: 8.4
It didnt feel quite as good as either of the RS4s, but I noticed how quick it was right off the bat. A tiny bit of understeer if you drove in too deep, but it just pulled itself out nicely.

Onboy123 Audi RS4 '01
Quick Time of 1:21.006
DC: 9.2
I really enjoyed both RS4s a lot. I found it quite ironic that both have pretty much the same color combo. Both of them encouraged you to push harder and brake later than before. Onboy’s rotated a bit more at center out and had shorter gears, which helped bring a better time.

CyKosis Subaru Impreza Wagon STi '99
Top Time of 1:21.300
DC: 8.8
It drives better once you learn to be patient and not over drive the car, it rewards you with plenty of exit speed. This car is the definition of slow in, fast out. If you carry too much speed in, both outside tires give up and send you sliding towards the grass. Once you learn it, the car is very neutral at turn-in and a hint of understeer from apex out. Overall, patience seems to be the main way to get that real flying lap.

MotorCityHami Audi RS4 '01
Fast Lap of 1:21.384
DC: 9.1
Easily one of the best tunes for this car that I have driven. A little more rotation at corner out and a little longer gears would be the only changes I would make to it.

Trackripper123 Subaru Impreza Wagon STi '00
Fast Lap of 1:21.482
DC: 7.7
The car just doesnt rotate quite as much as you want it to. Just didnt suit my driving style on absolute lap time, but it was a very consistent tune. It was very easy and predictable.

xande1959 Audi RS6 Avant '08
Top time of 1:21.501
DC: 7.9
This mammoth of a wagon at first feels quite heavy and leads you to believe that patience, once again, is the key to a quick lap. Well, that isn’t the case. The Torsen center differential sends the power beautifully to the rear and rockets you out of corners. I was expecting it to understeer under power, but it holds the line relatively well. Power delivery feels a bit lazy and feels like momentum needs to be kept in order to turn a decent lap time. It may not have the fastest times, but a very good tune and a very forgiving car.

krenkme Range Stormer '04
Fast Lap of 1:21.790
DC: 7.4
Quite comical entry, but never really had the traction and grip to overcome its weight disadvantage. It was quite fun though to run around.

DigitalBaka Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT spec.B
1:21.829
DC: 7.6
Loved the car, tune was good, but it just didnt have the pace over a lap.

Theo777 Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96
Fast Lap of 1:22.426
DC: 7.3
Again, felt okay, a bit too much understeer at corner out. Unfortunately, just too much weight to really throw down a faster time.

VTiRoj Nissan Stagea 260RS Autech '98
Fast Lap of 1:22.723
DC: 8.2
The time doesnt reflect how fun and super edgy the car is at the limit. What Roj seems to have done is inject Acura NSX DNA into his Stagea. Power oversteer is very fun, but my driving style doesnt match up well with the tune.

Ridox2JZGTE Nissan Stagea 25t RS FOUR S '98
Fast Lap of 1:22.741
DC: 7.0
Unfortunately, it just didnt stand out at all among the other entries. Momentum is at a premium and Deep Forest isnt really a momentum circuit. It ate up the inside tires and just not enough power to overcome it.

450PP Top Gear Test Track
**NOTE**: I have never been a fan of the TGTT in GT5 as it feels to narrow and constrained without going red. Times represent best clean lap.

krenkme Nissan EXA Canopy Version S '88
DC: 6.8
Fast Lap of 1:25.991
Could be a good tune at any other track, but TGTT is too tight to really extract any performance.

xande1959 Chrysler PT Cruiser
DC: 6.4
Fast Lap of 1:25.609
Too much power for front tires to handle and gears are really short.

Theo777 Honda Element
DC: 7.6
Fast Lap of 1:24.781
Didnt really feel quick, but the times definitely showed how quick it was.

ACSR421 Volvo 240 GLT Estate '88
DC: 7.5
Fast Lap of 1:26.768
Pretty enjoyable to drive, but it kept wanting to burn up the inside tires.

Trackripper123 BMW 120i '04
DC: 9
Fast Lap of 1:23.912
Very good tune and very controllable. It was very complient.

Ridox2JZGTE Lexus IS300 SportCross
DC: 8.4
Fast Lap of 1:24.783
Tune is okay, but weight seemed to hold it back. Any other track and I think it could have probably been at the top.

Praiano63 Honda Odyssey '03
DC: 9.2
Fast Lap of 1:22.583
A very good tune, AWD makes up for a lot. It rotated through the center really well and had a tad too much understeer at turn in, but the power brought it back to neutral quickly. Second gear could be longer as I was hitting the limiter out of the last turn. That is just nitpicking though.

Last edited:
I was trying not clutter up the thread, but couldn't figure out how to make it public. So here is the text.

FITT Wagon Shootout

525PP

Trackripper123 Subaru Impreza Wagon STi ‘00
Fast Lap of 1:21.482
DC: 7th
The car just doesnt rotate quite as much as you want it to. Just didnt suit my driving style on absolute lap time, but it was a very consistent tune. It was very easy and predictable.

Trackripper123 BMW 120i ‘04
DC: 1st
Fast Lap of 1:23.912
Very good tune and very controllable. It was very complient.

It's funny you mention the things you do, the other testers say the Subaru was a tad loose and unstable, and the BMW pretty oversteery. :lol:

Driving style accounts for so much. :P Thanks for the feedback.

I've sent you a FR for the 450pp test, sorry ,didn't see earlier...đź‘Ť:)

It was my fault. I was going to just build one from the tune until I realized I didnt have one. I just tested it and added it to the results.

lilcat89 - Thanks for testing.

The driver's choice needs to be a number between 1 and 10, not a ranking. You can still keep the cars in the DC order that you listed, but they each need a score (9.5, 9.2, 7.0, 5.2, etc.).

lilcat89 - Thanks for testing.

The driver's choice needs to be a number between 1 and 10, not a ranking. You can still keep the cars in the DC order that you listed, but they each need a score (9.5, 9.2, 7.0, 5.2, etc.).

Fixed. đź‘Ť

I enjoyed doing it, Hami. I look forward to doing some more.

Back