Flyin' Miata Super Cup | *Congrats to World Champion Aderrrm!*

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,456 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a tad late for this, but yeah, I would also like to thank Turbo for putting all of this together for us. I actually made it through this whole season. It's been very fun.

I would also like to thank the top guys in Div. 2. You guys have motivated me to get back in WRS so that I can get faster. I'm looking forward to hanging with you all one day in a future season. 👍

Last edited:
Looking great RT. I would love a video of our battle on the closing laps. That was great stuff!!

I had plans to try and purchase a real computer this month, but that may not happen now. I'm pretty confident that I'll have one before Season 4 starts though.

If you were looking for a desktop you wouldn't need to spend a lot to get a decent one. Unfortunately, that's not the case with laptops. My $600 laptop performs worse than my $400 desktop :grumpy:. Regarding Season 4, have you decided what miata will be used for the Hard Dog Challenge?

We'll leave the S4 discussion for that thread, but regarding the computer I'm eyeing the $300 eMachines at Wal-Mart with the 3GB Ram and 1TB hard drive. That should be sufficient I think.

We'll leave the S4 discussion for that thread, but regarding the computer I'm eyeing the $300 eMachines at Wal-Mart with the 3GB Ram and 1TB hard drive. That should be sufficient I think.

Sounds like a good deal, and yes that is enough to run most tasks. I'll head over for the discussion theread then 👍

Thank you for posting the race replay guys! That was an awesome race! Crazy you guys were that close after 52 laps! Well done! Congrats to Aderrrm on the championship and congrats to all in a great season!

regarding the computer I'm eyeing the $300 eMachines at Wal-Mart with the 3GB Ram and 1TB hard drive. That should be sufficient I think.

Whats the Processor? In my experience i would stay away from eMachines. You'll just end up needing a upgrade by next year.

Whats the Processor? In my experience i would stay away from eMachines. You'll just end up needing a upgrade by next year.
I had an eMachines back in the 90s as my first computer. Oy vey! :ouch:

Of course, they were bought out by Gateway and then they got bought out by Acer so...well, I still think there are better options out there.

As for laptop vs desktop, I had that same debate last year. Went with a laptop and I don't regret it one bit. Love the portability AND I can hook it up to my TV via HDMI. :dopey:

BTW, I finished watching the stream and it was pretty good but I yelled every time Wardez missed the moments between me, CSL, and forced which were pretty much all of them. :lol:

Well I have a netbook so I don't need another portable computer. And I'm not looking to break the bank here, so $300 would be my max for a computer. I don't need a keyboard or mouse as I already have some, and I plan on hooking it up to my TV for use as a monitor. So I only need a good working tower.

I know that eMachines had an Invidia G-Force graphics card too, but not sure which model.

Been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a good used one too...

Sorry I only participated in the first 2 races without finishing, but thanks R16, was fun. :D

Might join S4 as a reserve?

Well I have a netbook so I don't need another portable computer. And I'm not looking to break the bank here, so $300 would be my max for a computer. I don't need a keyboard or mouse as I already have some, and I plan on hooking it up to my TV for use as a monitor. So I only need a good working tower.

I know that eMachines had an Invidia G-Force graphics card too, but not sure which model.

Been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a good used one too...
Seems weird to hook up a tower to a TV but it's your call.

Last time I bought a desktop, I looked for ease of upgrade. Went with a Dell about 10+ years ago and it lasted me a very long time before something made it crash. Wish they were as good now. 👎

Is there anything in particular you are wanting out of this computer turbo?

I'm an IT manager and quote server/desktop machines several times a week. If you give me an idea of what your wanting to do, I can put a couple newegg/amazon/tigerdirect quotes for you.

Biggest thing now is that hard drives have almost doubled in price from floods in Thailand hard drive factories.

Just sent me a PM if your interested.

I would recommend going to HP, Sony, or even Dell, and custom building a PC tower. I got my tower from HP for $500 including S & H. At the time it was a dual core 2.2 ghz Intel chip, 2 gb memory, Nvidia HDMI card, 500 gb Drive and Lightscribe dvd burner writer. Pretty good for the price. ( I didn't get a monitor since my TV was it, just got a simple ps2 keyboard and mouse with it)

If it costs any more than $300, I'm not even going to consider it. This is something that I "want" and certainly not something I "need", so with my super limited budget I need to keep it as cheap as possible.

If it costs any more than $300, I'm not even going to consider it. This is something that I "want" and certainly not something I "need", so with my super limited budget I need to keep it as cheap as possible.

I checked the usual deal sites for you, and didn't find anything "smoking" right now. If I were you, I would wait a little bit for a good coupon to appear for Dell outlet.

A deal just died that was:

Dell Inspiron 620s Desktop PC Intel Core i3-2120 Dual Core, 4GB/1TB/Win 7/8-in-1 MCR For $349.99

That wasn't even a Dell outlet deal. Since its a "wan"t and not a "need", a little patience will probably pay off nicely. I would suggest getting a solid base system when a good deal comes up, and then upgrade the graphics card at a later date.

A bit late here in my reply guys. I'll keep it bulletized: :)

Congrats to Adam for his great speed and driving and win. One of the best in the GT5 simulator, hands down, whether he will admit or not. He has the physics engine and feel figured out, no doubt about it. I have driven against the very best in the world in the sim, and he has all of the speed, and consitency of the best. Sim driving is a skill set and he has it mastered. Well done.

Thanks to R1600 for a great season, and for doing a fantastic job organizing the series. And fantastic driving to you as well.

Outlaw, Nepal, well done. You have both practiced your butts off, and your pace is ferociously quick. Great driving with you guys this past year. Outlaw especially, pretty awesome to see you continually improve.

A fun season for me, despite limited practice. Very dissapointing to run the last race with zero practice. I should not have even bothered to race. It was a joke. There's no way I was going to mount any sort of challenge to the top 5 (all wicked fast), given their talent level but also that fact that some have been practicing here for months, and at least one guy I know put in 20+ hours here the past week alone, some many more. I had 30 minutes of practice before the race, the day of the race. Did a 33.6 in my first 13 laps of practice before the race, with sector times already fast enough for 33.1 But things changed slightly from the practice room to race, braking points seemed to change. No reference or proper established technique for many corners. No experience in the draft following anyone here. No idea of how bad the car would get under worn tires. No real defined established line to shoot for anywhere. Just complete and utter fail, no planning, just seat of the pants. I will never, ever, ever race in a championship race like this again without proper practice. I almost pulled out before race start knowing how bad it would be, but I tried to stay in it. After barely hanging on to outlaw and csl for the first stint, and then getting owned by the pit stop glitch, I did half the second stint and then quit out. Too much frustration, no fun. Lesson learned.

Adam, I still want to get together for a practice session with you. Expect a PM soon.

Thanks again for a great season guys. I may or may not do another one. I just don't have the time like most others to commit to really perform at my best here. And for me it's give it your best to win, or don't even bother. So we'll see about future FMSC seasons. Either way it was a ton of fun in the previous races where I got some decent practice in and at the very least I will check in from time to time to see the latest.

Thanks again for a great season and making good friends here. All of you guys in the final are very talented. I'll see you guys in the next GT Academy. :)

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks to R1600 for a great season, and for doing a fantastic job organizing the series. And fantastic driving to you as well.

Thanks.

Hate to see you go, it's nice to have drivers of your caliber around here. Hopefully you can swing by for a race or two next season. 👍

Congrats to Adam for his great speed and driving and win. One of the best in the GT5 simulator, hands down, whether he will admit or not. He has the physics engine and feel figured out, no doubt about it. I have driven against the very best in the world in the sim, and he has all of the speed, and consitency of the best. Sim driving is a skill set and he has it mastered. Well done.

Outlaw, Nepal, well done. You have both practiced your butts off, and your pace is ferociously quick. Great driving with you guys this past year. Outlaw especially, pretty awesome to see you continually improve.

A fun season for me, despite limited practice. Very dissapointing to run the last race with zero practice. I should not have even bothered to race. It was a joke. There's no way I was going to mount any sort of challenge to the top 5 (all wicked fast), given their talent level but also that fact that some have been practicing here for months, and at least one guy I know put in 20+ hours here the past week alone, some many more. I had 30 minutes of practice before the race, the day of the race. Did a 33.6 in my first 13 laps of practice before the race, with sector times already fast enough for 33.1 But things changed slightly from the practice room to race, braking points seemed to change. No reference or proper established technique for many corners. No experience in the draft following anyone here. No idea of how bad the car would get under worn tires. No real defined established line to shoot for anywhere. Just complete and utter fail, no planning, just seat of the pants. I will never, ever, ever race in a championship race like this again without proper practice. I almost pulled out before race start knowing how bad it would be, but I tried to stay in it. After barely hanging on to outlaw and csl for the first stint, and then getting owned by the pit stop glitch, I did half the second stint and then quit out. Too much frustration, no fun. Lesson learned.

Adam, I still want to get together for a practice session with you. Expect a PM soon.

Thanks again for a great season guys. I may or may not do another one. I just don't have the time like most others to commit to really perform at my best here. And for me it's give it your best to win, or don't even bother. So we'll see about future FMSC seasons. Either way it was a ton of fun in the previous races where I got some decent practice in and at the very least I will check in from time to time to see the latest.

Thanks again for a great season and making good friends here. All of you guys in the final are very talented. I'll see you guys in the next GT Academy. :)

Cheers,

Nick

Shame you didn't have time to practice more. I'm sure you would have been at the top making the race more interesting. 👍 Yes, grip did change slightly in the race but Laguna is famous for that in GT5. It didn't change drastically to the point that would make me angry. :lol:

I wasn't expecting a victory anyways, specially with Aderrrm there. I just wanted to have a race without any offs and finish in the podium. I thought I had 2nd wrapped up but RT sneaked up on me with his "save tires driving" :). Podium on the finale and 2nd overall is great. Maybe, just maybe, on Season 4 I'll take the victory.

I thought I had 2nd wrapped up but RT sneaked up on me with his "save tires driving" :).

I think you guys give me more credit here than necessary. I don't think I'm saving tires better than most on the track, I just think for some reason the way the car feels with worn tires suits my driving style better. I tend to struggle on cold tires, am okay when they are at their "peak", then tend to really start moving when they get on the worn side.

Cheers,

Nick
You did excellent for having about 15 laps only of practice.👍
I don't know who had 20 (Nepalli? :P ) hours or otherwise, but if it's any consolation, with my internet being out half the week and not being sure I'd even race the finale, I only ran about 2 hours of practice. Of course 2 hours still < 15 laps. :lol:

The pit glitch was posted up by outlaw on Saturday I think, unfortunate you missed that, it seems you have to be very careful to not touch any lines entering the pits. I assume he's correct because I've always done so and never encountered the glitch yet. :scared:
If not for that you may well have been riding with outlaw in a continued 3 way battle for fourth.

I think you guys give me more credit here than necessary. I don't think I'm saving tires better than most on the track, I just think for some reason the way the car feels with worn tires suits my driving style better. I tend to struggle on cold tires, am okay when they are at their "peak", then tend to really start moving when they get on the worn side.
With what everyone says about you, I was shocked to see you and Aderrrm doing 2 stoppers. Nepalli and Outlaw 2 stoppers. :P
Apparently RedReevos thought we had to pit twice, otherwise I think he would have ran 1.

that some have been practicing here for months

Really? Jesus lol. I know I had a few short races at Laguna in practice in pre-season, but nothing up until mid-week last week. Probs spent just over an hour practicing, but never managed to do a 32 did I! :irked: But yeah I think the draft (dirty air) at Laguna is crazy and you definitely need to have had a little experience before hand.

Sure thinggg. Hopefully next season, if you decide to race, we can race together more than we did this season. I'm already looking forward to it. :)👍

Edit: I read in the race information or somewhere that there were 2 mandatory pit stops for the Laguna race which is why I went for it. Forgetting what I said in the chat just after the race, a 1 stopper is definitely faster if you don't push as hard and just focus on keeping your tyres in good shape (which I would have done if I knew we could do 1). :D Still, I'm not fussed that I did a 2 stopper because it's not that much slower.

Edit: I read in the race information or somewhere that there were 2 mandatory pit stops for the Laguna race which is why I went for it.

At least 1. ;)

race_info_laguna.png

Couldn't have been the race information because I had it in my head that it was 2 quite a while a go. Might have been in the OP somewhere... but maybe I just read it wrong. Strange how a few other people thought there were 2 mandatory aswell though.

You did excellent for having about 15 laps only of practice.👍
I don't know who had 20 (Nepalli? :P ) hours or otherwise, but if it's any consolation, with my internet being out half the week and not being sure I'd even race the finale, I only ran about 2 hours of practice. Of course 2 hours still < 15 laps. :lol:

No, I didnt have 20 hours of practice. :lol: More like 6, 7 hours in total. I reached 33s in my first 30 mins or so, then it was all about finding consistency and pit strategies. Laguna is easy to go off so I kept practicing on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back