Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 174 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
What's the best way to end a brilliant Formula 1 season? A trip to the exhilarating Yas Marina Circuit. Sarcasm aside, Yas Marina is one of the best looking circuits on the calendar, which unfortunately is about its only selling point. Some good turns to start the lap, a chicane into a hairpin that separates cars, two wiggly straights and then a section of single-file turns that spreads the cars out is the entire, long final sector. It's had its moments, but most of the "memorable" races from this track seem to involve title deciders where the title is decided because it's impossible to overtake around here. There are still questions over whether Lewis Hamilton will be able to race this weekend pending multiple clear COVID tests and the ability to travel to Abu Dhabi in time, so George Russell might get a second chance in the Mercedes. There's a lot still to be decided, especially in the Constructors Championship, and still questions before cars even turn a wheel on Friday. We've had memorable moments in 2020, let's hope we don't end on a damp squib at the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES EMIRATI ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX!

image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.554km

Race Distance
305.355 km

Lap Record
1:39.283 Lewis Hamilton (2019)

Hamilton seems to think he can race. He announced last Tuesday he was self-isolating for ten days. The entire paddock is now in the UAE. I assume he's still in Bahrain. That ten-day isolation should expire on Thursday. He then has to get tested again, travel to UAE, hope the test is negative, hope he's actually fit enough to race, and leave Toto, Russell, Bottas and Aitken hovering until possibly as late as Friday morning about who is driving what car.

He does seem very determined to race again. It could be just the racer's mentality, it could be for his "best fans", or it could be because he sees the very tall elephant in the room and doesn't want his reputation to be stepped on by Russell's large feet again. But he has nothing to prove, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who wants to see him cruise to another win instead giving Russell another shot at victory.

Last edited:
We have to wait until tomorrow before we know if Hamilton will race, I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Has there ever been an exciting race at Yas Marina before? Ever since I started watching F1 way back when, I can't remember the last time there was an exciting race there. Track is really cool and all but with the driver on pole winning the race more often than not, sounds like the qualifiers will be what to focus on!

Has there ever been an exciting race at Yas Marina before? Ever since I started watching F1 way back when, I can't remember the last time there was an exciting race there. Track is really cool and all but with the driver on pole winning the race more often than not, sounds like the qualifiers will be what to focus on!

It's lucky it's been the title decider three times. Otherwise, 2012 was passable.

F1 fans:

"I really want to see a British driver in the most OP F1 car of all time in Abu Dhabi"

*Hamilton returns*

"I really wish we didn't have to see a British driver in the most OP F1 car of all time in Abu Dhabi, this race is gonna suck ballz"

Fickle bunch F1 fans really.

F1 fans:

"I really want to see a British driver in the most OP F1 car of all time in Abu Dhabi"

*Hamilton returns*

"I really wish we didn't have to see a British driver in the most OP F1 car of all time in Abu Dhabi, this race is gonna suck ballz"

Fickle bunch F1 fans really.

People like seeing new winners and the 2010s had less than ever

People like seeing new winners and the 2010s had less than ever

I get that, its no less amusing. I give it half a year of Russel winning in a Merc before everyone is back to the Traditional F1 moan wagon.

Or will he be appreciated because he's nice, young, relatable and white?

Time will tell.

I get that, its no less amusing. I give it half a year of Russel winning in a Merc before everyone is back to the Traditional F1 moan wagon.

Time will tell.

Is it though? People like new winners, and I dont know why there's an automatic implication that everyone's a racist. At the end of 2013 a substantial amount of people were sick of Vettel winning. Same with Schumacher after 2004.

Last edited:
Is it though? People like new winners, and I dont know why there's an automatic implication that everyone's a racist. At the end of 2013 a substantial amount of people were sick of Vettel winning. Same with Schumacher after 2004.

I concur, i was quite tired of seeing Vettel win 4 on the trot, but at leaat the teams we're closer then. I was nwver a huge Vettel fan in the RB days aince I've always been a Ferrari fan.

But once he took over at Ferrari i became a fan. He seems like one of the most grounded and intelligent of the current drivers.

Time will tell.

The problem is the MB steam rolling the competition.

If there are two other teams fighting for the top spot then its less ****** seeing the same person win it. But now it's just guaranteed that hamilton wins the championship because Bottas is 100% incompetent in comparison. And theres literally no competition from any of the other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the MB steam rolling the competition.

If there are two other teams fighting for the top spot then its less ****** seeing the same person win it. But now it's just guaranteed that hamilton wins the championship because Bottas is 100% incompetent in comparison. And theres literally no competition from any of the other teams.
The beauty of the 70's kit car era was that there was a different champion each year, and numerous race winners per season. In the 80's and early 90's, we had epic feuds between Prost, Senna, Mansell, Piquet and Lauda, all closely matched but with very different driving styles.

Indeed. And now both are loved immensely and Hamilton matching MS triggered everyone. Vettel is suddenly adored. Will it be the same for Lewis in 5 to 10 years time?

I stand by my point, F1 fans are fickle. My implication of course isn't that everyone is racist. But, proportionately, Hamilton gets an absolute tonne load more stick than MS at his peak ever did, a good amount more than Seb did. It just amuses me that, on the surface. It would simply appear that people just want a different face winning races in the Merc. I'd love him to get the seat sooner and dominate and we'll see how different attitudes are towards Russell versus Hamilton. Will be very interesting indeed. I feel the hate towards Mercedes is a much smaller part of this, given that Bottas is lost at sea in the car and, being that this is F1, part of the whole idea is to build the best car.

Indeed. And now both are loved immensely and Hamilton matching MS triggered everyone. Vettel is suddenly adored. Will it be the same for Lewis in 5 to 10 years time?

Yes I think so.

I stand by my point, F1 fans are fickle.

They might be fickle, but I dont think changing opinions of a driver after a year or five is an example of that.

My implication of course isn't that everyone is racist. But, proportionately, Hamilton gets an absolute tonne load more stick than MS at his peak ever did,

At Schumachers peak, facebook wasnt even invented. It was just segmented internet forums, so if you didnt know where to look, you wouldnt even know. And Schumacher still gets it.

a good amount more than Seb did. It just amuses me that, on the surface. It would simply appear that people just want a different face winning races in the Merc.

I think people just want a different winner. I think ideally they don't want Merc winning at all, but such is their dominance that you can drop someone who hasn't scored a point into the car and they absolutely control the race.

I'd love him to get the seat sooner and dominate and we'll see how different attitudes are towards Russell versus Hamilton. Will be very interesting indeed. I feel the hate towards Mercedes is a much smaller part of this, given that Bottas is lost at sea in the car and, being that this is F1, part of the whole idea is to build the best car.

I think thats because unless you're the Tifosi, people really root for drivers. I think people should be annoyed at the FIA, they have not implemented drastic changes to throw Mercedes like they did with Ferrari.

I think thats because unless you're the Tifosi, people really root for drivers. I think people should be annoyed at the FIA, they have not implemented drastic changes to throw Mercedes like they did with Ferrari.
Ferrari never had a budget cap or development limits thrown at them. Mercedes' success is going to throttle them for 2022 and beyond. Schumacher's Ferrari always had the option to outspend everyone, and had almost 24/7 use of a Private Test Track which was never regulated to stop them doing that. Mercedes have never had drastic changes thrown at them because they keep winning fair and square, a penalty for them will be a penalty for everyone.

Guys, he's just using that optical camouflage that car manufacturers use to disguise next year's model during test drives.

They've already fitted him with 2021's aero package is all.

Back