Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
Well that was impressive. Having been a big nerd of the book series for a year or so, I was really hyped for this. Thankfully it lived up to the hype. Production values must have been sky high on this one, sometimes I forgot I was watching a tv show and not a high budget film.

The queen and the girl who was married off to the savage look familiar. Anyone else remember what movie/tv series they've done earlier?

Besides, its a promising start (and no Joseph Fiennes, thank god). If the acting and adaptation holds up, it'll be one hell of a series. Sean Bean doesn't look like Boromir anymore, lol. The haggard look they've given him suits well.

(Haven't read the books, though).

I always prefer to read the books before watching an adaptation but Lord of the Rings has spoilt me so much, it always leaves any fantasy book/saga I read wanting.

If the first season is any good, I might even read the books if they're not 7 or 11 of them just to finish the story.

I feel weird that I started this thread but haven't watched the first episode yet. I downloaded it on Sunday night with the intent of watching it sometime during the week but the opportunity just hasn't presented itself. I appear to have a busy weekend ahead of me so there is a chance that I won't even get to see it until sometime next week and by then I'll have two episodes to watch!

@JediRage - I actually like to watch the TV/Movie adaptations before diving into the books because sometimes reading the books first gives you a different mental picture of everything and then you might end up disappointed with the dramatization. If the books are better--as they generally are--then I can more easily appreciate them in their own rights and enjoy the extra side-stories and character developments.

To be fair, I actually did see the 'Fellowship' movie before reading the Lord of the Rings. I didn't have the faintest idea what LOTR was when I saw Fellowship and I was so impressed that I finished the book before the next 2 came out.

Same with Harry Potter, saw the first 2 movies, finished all the books and saw the movie adaptations as they came out.

Sometimes the adaptations are helpful to see whether you would actually like to read the books. Like 'Legend of the Seeker' last year, I wasn't impressed by the adaptation so I'm not reading the books.

Besides these 7 to 11 book sagas really irritate me. At a certain point it stops feeling like an epic and more like a soap opera.

I'm halfway into episode two.. Wow! It's the quality storytelling and characters of LotR sprinkled in with the boobs, blood, and swearing from Spartacus. Epic win!

Wow, this shows really picking up. I'm currently re-reading it along with the episodes, and I'm surprised to see how true to the book it is.

And I can see the resemblance between Ellen DeGeneress and Joffery. :P

Episode Four was fantastic. I'm holding off on the books with every intention of reading them after the season. I'm the type that like to watch before I read when it comes to Movie/TV adaptations that are new to me. I've found in the past that if I read it first, it can make me dislike the show's differences. For some reason, if I go this way, I appreciate the differences. I know it's weird, but as long as it works, right?

[About Ep.4]
How badass was that scene at the inn? When all of those patrons whipped out their swords to apprehend Tyrion Lannister. I loved the way she called them all out individually and then got them on her side. Quality move for sure!

Hah, the lady playing Sean Bean's wife is a pretty good actor. A bit over the top, but all good in context.

I think EP 4 was the best so far.

See? This is how you make a good adaptation or a TV series in general. There doesn't always have to be mindless blood letting or skin show for the sake of it.

This show just gets better and better. Wow.

Holy 🤬 that golden crown was insane. That douche deserved it. I don't care who your daddy is, if he isn't here you don't get to run your mouth!

I couldn't help myself after the 7th episode and so I zipped through the first book.

Scene for scene, line for line, the episodes have been identical to the book and I wonder how they are going to cram the last third of the book in the last 3 episodes.

I really like the series now and I can't imagine how these books slipped under my radar for so long. It's right up there with Cornwell's Arthur Trilogy but (sorry Martin fans), LOTR will always be no. 1 for me.

I think GRR Martin should have been a cook/food photographer or something like that.

I swear, if I read another description of a feast's contents, I'm going to cry myself hoarse.

:lol: Have you ever seen the guy? You can tell he likes his food!

05conq005.JPG

So that's what he looks like. No wonder Sansa's chapters are the most boring of all. He seems to be out of his depth when imagining what a pouty little dumbhead girl thinks.

Sansa's character is as useless as taking an umbrella to go surfing. So this is my spoiler free advice to all watching Game of Thrones: don't bother with that character, there is no development (as far as I've read).

Just finished Feast for Crows (4th book, 5th releasing next month). All I can say is, my god, Martin knows how to destroy a series.

Food, mud, trees, ****, *****, blood, gore and vomit. It might be an exaggeration but the author spends 90% of his last book DESCRIBING these things. Not saying how things happen, but describing it. Colour of mud, how the wind sends vomit flying in the wrong direction, the material chamber pots are made of etc.

Seriously, the TV series makers are going to come to a shuddering halt when they come to script this book.

That's Clancy-esque. He goes into ultra detail about things, like he'll spend three pages talking about a nuclear device "this atom hits that one, and that one hits three others, and the three others become super-heated and ingite the area around them sending out energy to split a hundred more atoms blah-blah-blah." I generally skim pages like those and only flip back when they are refenced in a way in which I can't fill the blank myself. Luckily, TV and movies aren't victims to ultra-detail. It only takes so long to show someone yacking into the wind.

That may be so, but if an author describes every last detail of the colour of snot, then I expect him to describe every last detail of major events happening. You've probably not read the books but its infuriating to read 'Oh, by the way this castle has fallen, this person has died' in one sentence by some secondary character. That's literary cowardice.

In any case, I think the writers won't come to a shuddering halt in the 4th season, they'll just combine books 4 and 5 into 5 episodes.

The main reason everybody hates Feast for Crows is the fact that all the characters that actually have a personality are not there (Tyrion, Dany, Arya etc), I actually enjoyed the book but I'm really hoping he doesn't screw a Dance with Dragons up.

Well, if Martin's determined to kill off every last good character then of course we're going to be left with the likes of Cersei and some half wit Sea Priest. I think he brought this upon himself.

I fervently hope Arya's story arc is continued in the 5th book. Arya, Jon, Tyrion, Bran and (amazingly) Podrick Payne are the only characters I care about any longer.

Kind of sucks they killed of my favorite charactor in this series last night, never read the books so i guess it had to be done but man what a bummer going forward.

Bdx
Kind of sucks they killed of my favorite charactor in this series last night, never read the books so i guess it had to be done but man what a bummer going forward.

Yeah that was a dick move wasn't it? I'm considering ordering the books off of Amazon to serve as some summer reading.

Future spoiler:
Don't worry about King Joffrey, that little **** will get his soon enough.

Bdx

This is nothing compared to what happens afterwards.

Glad to hear it, reading on some other site's i visit, it looks like that pissed a hole bunch of people off. Even some saying they are done with the show which is crazy to me, given the time period it is from people didnt live to long back then so it's kind of to be expected to see many charactors turned over.

Hopefully Tyrion sticks around for a little bit as he adds a lot to the show imo.

Latest Posts

Back