The Witcher (Netflix)TV 

Netherlands
Netherlands
So I can confidently say that this is another hit for Netflix! Allthough the first season does not have the political intrigue and scope of Game of Thrones, of which it unevitably is going to be compared to, I hope to see many more seasons of this show. I like it a lot they mixed up the timelines and have self contained stories as well as giving background information about the main characters.

I only managed to watch 5 episodes and have been very impressed. Great storytelling indeed. Henry Cavill performance is also spot on. I was a little worried the Dandelion character was going to be a Jar-jar binks kind of character, but I really ended up liking him.

I watched the first episode yesterday. So far so good, though the atmosphere in the games seemed a bit better.

I watched the first episode yesterday. So far so good, though the atmosphere in the games seemed a bit better.

It gets better. I finished the season and personally I think it is a landmark series in fantasy storytelling and very disappointed we will need to wait untill 2021 for season 2.

...Watched the first episode today, but have mixed feelings about this. Something just felt off about it. I'm not sure if I'll watch the whole season at this point.

What it does make me do is go and check out the OG novel series, though. I hope the English translation for them is good enough to convey every single "thing" the author wanted us the readers to feel.

...Watched the first episode today, but have mixed feelings about this. Something just felt off about it. I'm not sure if I'll watch the whole season at this point.

What it does make me do is go and check out the OG novel series, though. I hope the English translation for them is good enough to convey every single "thing" the author wanted us the readers to feel.

I was a little disappointed at first too. The series gets better, without giving away any spoilers.

For some reason, I thought the show was supposed to be set around the time of Witcher 3 and I was super confused as to what was going on at first. It wasn't until the scene in Blaviken that I got on track with what was going on.

Also Dandelion is fantastic, but it's weird seeing him as "Jaskier". I get that was his name in the Polish novels, but still, it just seems off. Never-the-less, he provides a good contrast to Geralt's dry wit. Plus, Toss a Coin to Your Witcher is catchy as hell.

I hope the English translation for them is good enough to convey every single "thing" the author wanted us the readers to feel.

It is, I've read almost all of the books and they're really good. You can't really go into it thinking about the games though since the books are a bit different.

Also Dandelion is fantastic, but it's weird seeing him as "Jaskier". I get that was his name in the Polish novels, but still, it just seems off. Never-the-less, he provides a good contrast to Geralt's dry wit. Plus, Toss a Coin to Your Witcher is catchy as hell.

For obvious reason Jaskier works better then Dandelion. His role could have easily backfired into campy if he was made too much of a comedy sidekick. He is balanced great.

I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday. I'm still trying to make sense of who is who and how are they related to the overall story, whatever that overall story is. I'll probably continue watching the rest of this season.

I've seen the first four so far seeing how much changed in that episode makes me wants to watch the last four as a binge marathon. I never played the games or read the books, but I've been catching up on a gaming podcast by listening to their older episodes and they talk about Witcher 3 when it came out and the DLC when that came out. It sounds like fun, but I knew Yennifer and Geralt were a couple. Knowing that going in when I first saw Yennifer the way she was made me wonder where the hell this series is going. Episode 4 was huge.

I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday. I'm still trying to make sense of who is who and how are they related to the overall story, whatever that overall story is. I'll probably continue watching the rest of this season.
I resemble this remark.

There's this white-haired dude who can do a bit of magic, has a sword and seems tougher than the average person, because he's a mutant of some kind, and either hated for it or hired for it to kill monsters. And a girl with scoliosis who can do magic suddenly but also can't when she wants. And another girl who has magic screams now.

I assume some of this is explained at some point?

Also that scene in the inn right after the monster slaying at the start is intensely weakly written. We know he killed the deer. "I'm full; venison" is superfluous exposition.

Just for anyone who's a smidge confused, there's a non-linear time thing going on.

I won't explain it, because it'll probably spoil the narrative, but things aren't necessarily occurring in the same time frame initially. It all gets knitted together by the end.

Geralt of Rivia

just watched the trailer on youtube since you recommend it! looks interesting! anyway most series the first episodes are boring but after they get better!

Just finished it and it was enjoyable. Like a few here it was a little confusing with the timeline setting but once things got moving it cleared up.

certainly worth a watch.

I'm four episodes in and just had a major time change so things are certainly happening in the world and progress is being made. I'm waiting for my dad to watch the last four and I can't wait

I finished the last two episodes yesterday. It was definitely enjoyable and I'm looking forward to season 2. Based on the videogames I was expecting Triss and Yennefer to be a little different.

The time change in episode 4 caught me and I had to look up the timeline. I found the timeline chart on Reddit, though the showmakers wanted the viewers not to worry and watch it without such devices. It definitely all becomes clear at the end of the season.

Based on the videogames I was expecting Triss and Yennefer to be a little different.

I thought Yennefer was pretty good. She hit the book's description for the most part, although Andrzej Sapkowski describes her as having pale skin. Her attitude is decently consistent though. Triss, on the other hand, is nothing like the books. She's supposed to have chestnut brown hair, pale blue eyes, and pale skin and in the show, she has none of that. I wouldn't have minded if they even went for her in-game look, but instead, they choose to swap her race completely? And don't get me started on Fringilla, who is supposed to have ghastly pale skin, green eyes, and black hair.

I mean I get why they did it. When the Witcher 3 came out several outlets blasted it for not having any "person of color" characters, but that's also true for the most part in the books. The show could've easily invented a character if they wanted a more racially diverse cast. I mean there are a ton of sorcerers and sorceresses in the Lodge, so they could've added some character there. But really, the whole world the Continent is on, is largely based on the British Isles, Slavic countries, and some Nordic culture. Those are areas where people are typically super pale.

I'm not saying that there's a high chance my wife will smother me where I lay in the morning, but this is my alarm:

Screenshot_20200104-005038_Clock.jpg

Kaer Morhen is going to be cool. Also, with Lambert, they better have Geralt's limerick.

Back