Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
I think they can fix the sounds through an update. They had 3 years (or even more if GT5 counts) to fix at least the sounds of the premium cars.

GT1,2,3,4 and 5 all count based on the overall level of change. :ill:

... GT only uses three or four per car (per exhaust, really) and those samples themselves have little expression because they're short. ...

Now, do you mean they use 3 or 4 samples (of exhaust) in order to cover the rev range? That may cause some problems, sure. And it does also seem that a number of exhaust samples are flat wrong to begin with (some V8's, v10's, v12's).. But I really think the most painful aspect of GT's sound issue is the Engine Bay recording. It is just cranked up- especially when the vantage point is anywhere towards the front of the car. In bumper and roof/hood views this may be forgivable, but not so much in the cockpit (where engine bay sounds are dampened a good bit by the firewall) and certainly not in replays- exhaust will be dominant from ALL angles when you are spectating (you may hear some trans, wind, tire noise).

/
Just some simple "sliders" for the sound effects during gameplay could REALLY help us out.

Tire noise ....l..
Cabin sounds ...l...
Air rush ...l...
EXHAUST NOTE ......l
Intake ....l..
Engine Bay .l.....
Transmission ...l...
Crash effects ....l..
Environment ...l...
Crowd Noise ....l..

etc...

(just for reference the engine bay is loaded with belts, timing chains, fans, alternators, camshafts, and pumps all whirring along and sounding like your favorite hoover/dyson/etc..)

Edit: items added to reflect @Griffith500 's points below. Excellent.

Last edited:
I don't see how their (GT's) sound system can be so complex that it's so hard for them to get a good sound out of it, especially with their budget.

Sims like rFactor have a very "easy" structure to create sounds on for example i created this F1 V10 (probably the hardest sound to replicate) sound simply with sony vegas editing software and a sound clip.

Lets hope the sound changes Kaz spoke about has a whole new approach to capturing sounds...

@research It all comes together in a bad way, really: the over-worked samples, the often "wrong" samples and the lack of intake (leaving only the "engine bay" sound in its absence) all contribute to the vacuum cleaner legend.

In most cases, even in turbocharged applications (I have recently come to revise my stance there, since the typical camshaft profiles result in a sound that is easily masked by / augmented into / mistaken for other components), the engine's intake is doing a lot of work in the total sound as well.

Below is one of my favourite videos, the intake is audible quite often, but is pretty obvious at 1:25, 1:45 and 1:55 etc. (and should be easily recognisable thereafter):

@ace004 That level of variation is really what I'm looking for in games like this. I know that it's possible, and it can be done without having to use samples for every possible combination (although there are some serious technical hurdles). I really hope PD are working on something like that, but they could just be working on an evolution, rather than such a revolution.

Then again, their new method is supposedly "completely" new. Whether that means new to the series, new to the genre, or just plain new to the industry, remains to be seen.
The reason for my post was mainly to say they don't even need to be 100% correct on the sounds. Seeing how all the little variables can contribute to different sound. PD just needs to get it close. Also just how quiet the sound models are make fore a lack of immersion.

The reason for my post was mainly to say they don't even need to be 100% correct on the sounds. Seeing how all the little variables can contribute to different sound. PD just needs to get it close. Also just how quiet the sound models are make fore a lack of immersion.
True, but I think it's more of an argument to let us pick the sound samples we want to hear, within a range applicable for the engine configuration. That's with or without the eventual improvements. :)

True, but I think it's more of an argument to let us pick the sound samples we want to hear, within a range applicable for the engine configuration. That's with or without the eventual improvements. :)
I really have no problem with any of that. It would be interesting if they had a list of 20 V8 sounds and we just assigned them to certain cars. I would be happy if they just stole some sound clips off of youtube and enhanced them a bit. :)

@research It all comes together in a bad way, really: the over-worked samples, the often "wrong" samples and the lack of intake (leaving only the "engine bay" sound in its absence) all contribute to the vacuum cleaner legend.

In most cases, even in turbocharged applications (I have recently come to revise my stance there, since the typical camshaft profiles result in a sound that is easily masked by / augmented into / mistaken for other components), the engine's intake is doing a lot of work in the total sound as well.

Below is one of my favourite videos, the intake is audible quite often, but is pretty obvious at 1:25, 1:45 and 1:55 etc. (and should be easily recognisable thereafter):

It's good that you pointed this out and used the SLS GT3 as an example. Seeing the last video from this car in a supposedly "final version of GT6," it is obvious that they never changed the "placeholder" sample for this car. It still has the same V12 sample that the Aston Martin V12 Vantage and the Ferrari 559 has. I won't get tired of mentioning this car as an example until they fix it. They can use whatever V8 sample they already have as long as it sounds like a V8.

It's worrying and kind of unforgivable that people from PD ignore the difference between engines; even worse, in such an obvious car. I can understand they would mix up V6 samples with V12's, or L5's and V10's; but two engine configurations that sound so different from each other?

Before I believed they did it because of the amount of cars and how it would be difficult to get it right with all of them. But a car that has been part of the merchandising strategy, and also the last title's flagship car? How can no one in PD notice? Now I know it's just plain ignorance and not a technical problem that they cannot fix even if they wanted to.

Sorry for the rant.

.... But a car that has been part of the merchandising strategy, and also the last title's flagship car? How can no one in PD notice? Now I know it's just plain ignorance and not a technical problem that they cannot fix even if they wanted to.

Do not apologize for that rant, good sir. While the truth is certainly capable of hurting, your questions show that sometimes it hurts BAD.

Hope still remains, till we get our hands on GT6 and finally hear the "improvements". I am looking forward to this thread, once we are able to play :D
I guess every "sound fan" here, will go right to the ingame dealership an listen to their favourit car.

I really hope the car sounds are very good in this game. Unlike GT5. I know arcade racing games that have better sound then GT5.

It's a 6.3 liter V8

Every publication says it's a 6.2 and the technical specs also say so. It's only badged 6.3l because of the 300 legacy before it. It's not really a 6.3, research is a nice ally. Thus like most manufactures, the number is a marketing tool.

pitched too high

[videos]

Not the same car, but SimBin gets the transmission whine and juddering nicely....

[more videos]

Yeah, I always liked SimBin's sounds. Never could get into R3E, though, I still stick with RACE 07. However, the sounds are still superior (just stating a fact) to GT5's. The Gran Turismo series has always lacked all of the "extra" sounds (meaning not just standard engine, transmission, and tire) that you get with (even the older) PC sims.

Last edited:
As long as they bring back the insane sound of the fully tuned Demio from GT2 I'll be happy. The sound of that turbo spooling up... you can't help but smile.

Still, PD could perfectly render every engine note on every car, and 90% of the time, I'll play with the sound off. I played GT5 with the sound off just so I didn't have to hear that stupid song at the beginning of every race.

I would leave here 2 Assetto Corsa videos to show you what we need.

Note that engine sounds are not as loud but the mix of the overall sounds is great (suspensions, gearbox wine, gearbox changes, exhaust, intake sound...etc)
I have the game and it is quite enjoyable mostly with the Ferrari 458 Italia and BMW M3 GT.

Ferrari P4/5 Competizione:

Pagani Zonda R:

BMW M3 GT2:

Ferrari 458 Italia:

It doesn´t sound as realistic than Simbin games, yet the mix is great and it makes me feel that I am actually inside a car.

Edit and may add...I own Assetto Corsa, pCARS, all Simbin games, rFactor, rFactor 2, Ferrari Virtual Academy, Game Stock Car 2012/2013, nKP, LFS, Richard Burns Rally...etc.

Last edited:

It doesn´t sound as realistic than Simbin games, yet the mix is great and it makes me feel that I am actually inside a car.
Jumpy bumby unrealistic body roll with stuffy sounds, really game looking graphics, this if some need better sounds and much more.
Only good looking was that static dust on Ferrari windshield.
Just can't understand criteria what people keeps for sounds, complaining GT5 sounds overall, sounds what are in proper equipment and setup really enjoyable when driving incar/bumber view, other views yes are not working, and I really mean "not working", soon as you switch out from incar/bumber either PS3 or GT5 fails on Dolby channel mix and sound might work from second to ten second before it goes to that vacuum cleaner sound, but not a big deal, if driving somewhere else than incar you doesn't give much value to immersion anyway.

We need proper Dolby mixing to GT, maybe small improvements can be made on those samples or their handling, but still gt beats many of those praised games what people are showing here as a "examples" how it should done, ok maybe yes if we want some arcade style "BROOM BROOM PHFIU SCHIC SCHIC" sounded GAME, but is staying on realistic side of gaming (prefer simulation) then GT is on pretty good way.
And Those "over realistic tyre screams", that is price what we have to pay to get some information from there than normal body muscle info. Maybe you have noticed at those are on replays silenced to normal.

PS. Just opening few valves.. ;)

Note that engine sounds are not as loud but the mix of the overall sounds is great (suspensions, gearbox wine, gearbox changes, exhaust, intake sound...etc)
I have the game and it is quite enjoyable mostly with the Ferrari 458 Italia and BMW M3 GT.

Ferrari P4/5 Competizione:

Pagani Zonda R:

BMW M3 GT2:

Ferrari 458 Italia:

Edit and may add...I own Assetto Corsa, pCARS, all Simbin games, rFactor, rFactor 2, Ferrari Virtual Academy, Game Stock Car 2012/2013, nKP, LFS, Richard Burns Rally...etc.

Beautiful sound IMO. Even down to hearing the suspension rattle as it jumps the curbs. Really immersive, GT has a long way to go to get there.

I have a major gripe with the race transmission sound too.. it stays the same in each gear.. if you listen to a real racing car the whine gets faster and higher pitched the higher the gear.. it does not stay the same in every gear like in GT5 and also GT6 Academy demo! This is very aggrevating.. just another slip by PD.

The absence of tire squeal definitely limits your ability to determine when your reaching your cornering limit. But whenever I see a Raceroom clip I just don't care ha ha. Raceroom comes off as an assault on the senses with the engine noise, tranny noise and sense of speed. I hope PD sets Raceroom as their sound benchmark and comes correct when they revamp their sound. Whether it be in GT6 as an update or revealed in GT7.

PD take note, this is how a Vette should sound:

I love how it revs up slowly, and doesnt just shoot up and bounce on the limiter.
I watched The Getaway recently, and it's a GT500, wow it also sounds awesome. Cant find it though.
Those Simbin sounds above are great too. Very nice.

DCP
PD take note, this is how a Vette should sound:

I love how it revs up slowly, and doesnt just shoot up and bounce on the limiter.
I watched The Getaway recently, and it's a GT500, wow it also sounds awesome. Cant find it though.
Those Simbin sounds above are great too. Very nice.

I remember I put a racing exhaust on the ZR1 in GT5. It was laughable, immediately removed it lol.

I have a major gripe with the race transmission sound too.. it stays the same in each gear.. if you listen to a real racing car the whine gets faster and higher pitched the higher the gear.. it does not stay the same in every gear like in GT5 and also GT6 Academy demo! This is very aggrevating.. just another slip by PD.
It depends on the gearbox, a lot of them (that I've heard) have constant gear tooth pitch (e.g. teeth per inch, or whatever weird measure they actually use) across all gears. That means that, regardless of what gear you're in, at a given road speed all gears whine at the same (tone) pitch. So the only thing controlling the gear sound is the road speed and the physical design of the gears, which dictates the rate at which teeth mesh and un-mesh.

Some gearboxes mix up the tooth pitches across the clusters, and you can get some interesting effects there. It'd be cool to model that, but that requires a lot of extraneous detail to be collected when most keep it constant. Obviously, it's relatively pointless to do it if the gears can't actually be heard, e.g. helical cut gears on a loud racer aren't really going to make their presence known.

Back