Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

I don't think it really matters as it doesn't make a difference to a game developer, a force is a force in a FFB coding sense... it's 'just' numbers. BMW might use electronics for power steering, but it obviously a transfer/ interaction between mechanical movements and feedback.... I guess it could be possible aid with some mathematics, but there are of course a lot of engineering secrets that can't just be handed over. I think it's actually really difficult for PD to nail all the different power steering feelings of each one of the cars present in GT6. Might not even be worth it because a lot of cars, for instance a newer Audi A4 that I drove the other day are so bland in real life (I'm sure the wonderful S4 uses a completely different system), mainly for comfort only, you can't feel a thing, it'd be pretty hard to translate the important feedback wheel users need in simulation games.

This, cars nowadays are so heavily assisted that they feel like you're playing a videogame.

Internal plans in late 2012 were pointing in that direction. Changes have been made during early 2013. I reported that accordingly in the same place where I put the original rumor that found its way to GTPlanet at some point.

However, same "objective" and "neutral" sources that reported my original posting about GT6 being somewhat planned as PS4 title somehow forgot to also report my correction.

So, that much about "bias" and such labels.

I am automotive and racing-game fan and my most loving driving game of all time is F355 Challenge. However, my greatest respect in the industry goes towards GT series because it best fits into my personal and subjective idea about what constitutes a perfect driving game. I never cared about platforms or whatever, I play all games I can play and I enjoy all games I can enjoy.

If that means "bias", then okay, I can live with that 👍

Stephanos, I will answer you via PM soon, keep eye on the Private Message folder in days to come, regards.

Can't believe you still have to make posts like that...
You're by far one of the most reliable insider sources I know.

Aw well, can't please everyone.
Wish I wasn't banned on NeoGAF (for a completely dumb reason), would love to join your discussions there.

This will be a thread for Discussing the current build and future changes of the Driving physics for GT6.

The Real Driving Simulator,it seems PD are really putting they're money where they're mouths are this time.

Well first off, The amazingly good news that can only, get better and better.

We already know, that PD have collaborated with performance companies, KW Automotive and Yokohama Rubber.

Now, i'm also interested in knowing what else PD had up they're sleeves to further enhance the Physics on they're own engine from GT5, Or if they will even use that Engine at all, or possibly start from scratch. But i have to say, honestly, the GT5 Physics engine was also very well done in the first place, apart from some hits and misses but fortunately, that seems to be addressed now in the latest game.

Secondly I have a question:

If anyone on this site was fortunate enough to play the Demo for GT6, can you please share some insight on how the cars handled first hand, Also how they drove in comparison to GT5?

From seeing gameplay videos, i am really liking what i have seen so far, The car pitches and rows as it should, and looks very genuine and fluid. The contact with the road and other obstacles such as rumble strips also look very impressive.

Here are some videos showing the new suspension modeling in action.

To put it bluntly, it all genuinely looks very impressive, notice the massive rolling and pitching under different types of load, already so far a significant improvement over GT5 suspension modeling, that now feels as flat as a board in comparison.

This video belongs to GTP member Saidur_Ali:tup:

And heres a video of stock 370z from GT5 for comparison.

I hope, to get some extremely detailed information about how differently cars feel and drive with the new physics.

And honestly by the looks of it,it's a massive step up from GT5.

Here is a beautiful demonstration of the new physics at work.

azflmb.gif

Here are some impressions from CVG regarding the new physics,and yes they really do compare it to Rfactor and GTR2.

Yes,you heard that right folks,a Gran Turismo game, honestly being compared to true Simulator legends, Rfactor and GTR series, A massive step up from this:

All this sounds like GT6 is hitting the ground running, to be the Sim we always wanted it to be.

Where did you find the gif at and who is cvg? EDIT ok I found the CVG article but no video of that audi hoping around.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to any new info on GT6 regarding physics coming from BGS(Brazil Game Show). I know it's a bit too soon, but amar's NEOGAF post got me excited, Maybe they will give more details on tires and suspension, aswell as aerodynamics, Only time will tell.

Can't believe you still have to make posts like that...
You're by far one of the most reliable insider sources I know.

Aw well, can't please everyone.
Wish I wasn't banned on NeoGAF (for a completely dumb reason), would love to join your discussions there.

Yesterday there was a solid proof of what I wrote in #1164. Absolutely nothing meaningful was announced yet he hyped the event to death at neogaf.

"I can't exactly explain why, but you can tell that the cars feel totally different. Either way there's no going back to Gran Turismo 5."
That was the common response we received from 1.4 million users after they tried the GT Academy 2013 demo, distributed worldwide for free via the PlayStation®Store in July 2013. Not only the GT Academy 2013 demo presented for the first time the Silverstone Circuit as it will be included in Gran Turismo 6, but it was also a preview of what fans can expect from the latest evolution in technology.
Rather than discuss about the many complicated technical terms, we believe it’s better to talk about the feelings this "new technology” brings to the users. New technology never works on its own; it acts and reacts in conjunction with other technologies in order to create the overall final experience.
It is not our aim to have our fans understand every single detail of the technologies we use, but rather to have them simply say that they can't go back to Gran Turismo 5 once they have tried the new model: if that happens, it means we are on the right track.
New Dynamics
In Gran Turismo 6, we have collaborated with leading companies in the racing scenery such as Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive as technical partners. Insight and data for developing real cars in the partnership has been fed back into the physics model which governs the dynamics and behavior of the cars in the game.
i1g3RnqJ2xHswb.png

Tyre Model
Through the cooperation with Yokohama Rubber, a variety of tyres ranging from “Racing” to “Street” were analyzed. Detailed information and data not available to us until now have been integrated in the tyre model: the tyre structure, compound, load and changes in cornering force due to the slip angle have been captured, analysed and introduced in our new model. This made possible to create a new “tyre contact” feeling and a level of precision never reached before.
i1Jipj2WOPmVOb.jpg

i1KR1IYy7sOyx7c.jpg

i13FhRYCqFoyrEE.png

Suspension Model
KW Automotive is a company that has an extremely strong impact in the Nürburgring 24 hour race. Using their 7 post rig, a huge amount of information has been collected for springs and dampers, and we have incorporated this into the suspension model. Gains due to changes in surface input and differences in phases were recreated in detail, having the player experiencing the same feeling the driver has in a real car.
i1kwHSJsrvgxZb.jpg

i1CANPynF1tRNdB.jpg

i1tAZoil8GBeAW.jpg
icon_images_white.png
Aerodynamics
CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) is a tool that is fundamental today in vehicle development and motorsports. We have introduced this into the game to greatly increase the precision of aerodynamics characteristics under a variety of conditions. Changes to downforce due to the body shape, parameters of the under floor as well as differences in speed are recreated realistically, allowing you to experience the complex world of aerodynamics. Our new physics simulation has improved by leaps and bounds, and you will notice the difference as soon as you turn the steering wheel.

Awesome.

"I can't exactly explain why, but you can tell that the cars feel totally different. Either way there's no going back to Gran Turismo 5."

The difference in physics between GT5 and GTA 2013 is akin to the difference between coke and pepsi, and that isn't saying much. Hopefully all of this "stuff" they're implementing pays off and results in a massive improvement over the current ice skating model.

The difference in physics between GT5 and GTA 2013 is akin to the difference between coke and pepsi, and that isn't saying much. Hopefully all of this "stuff" they're implementing pays off and results in a massive improvement over the current ice skating model.

Ice skating model?

On the subject of brake pedal feel, steering, throttle, clutch, gearbox.

I drove a brand new Citreon DS3 a few months back for a fair bit (2-3 months). No feeling in the brakes at all, also they were so sensitive compared to my car it was like putting my foot through the floor with just a touch. No feel to the brakes at all, you just had to get used to them being super sensitive and not requiring any actual physical force to apply pressure. Throttle/clutch and the gearbox were very very light and lacked any feeling, the clutch range of motion felt massive. Though the gearbox was precise it was very light, could change gear with your little pinky effortlessly. Steering had plenty of feeling in it though, still very very light but you could feel the effect of every bump, It's a strange feeling when the wheel feels so light but at the same time you can still easily feel what the tyres are doing and where they are going.

My own car (2003 Focus ST) in comparison has heavier steering and though you can feel the tyres very well it actually feels less detailed than the DS3 did, almost like when you have game FFB and the dampening hides some of the minor details. With my car you can feel the tyres much better through the wheel, but the small details and movements are less pronounced because of the heavier wheel feel.

In my car if you want to brake then you have to brake, compared to a modern car like the DS3 where you just touch the brake and you get an instant almost savage response, my car is smoother and more progressive with much more feel through the brake pedal, also much heavier and if you want to brake hard you have to push that pedal down hard. Same with the clutch mine is pretty heavy with a shorter range of motion and requires a lot more force than the DS3, same with the throttle it feels much more firm and has a crisper response. Gearbox on mine is very heavy and stiff compared, movements are much shorter and you have to be much more precise with it, it won't just fall into gear like the DS3, if you don't know what you're doing you're just as likely to accidently put it into 3rd when going for 1st.

Stuff like this varies so much from car to car, modern cars especially seem to be cars designed to be driven by fairies with everything being so light and effortless, but also lacking in feeling.

That was the common response we received from 1.4 million users after they tried the GT Academy 2013 demo, distributed worldwide for free via the PlayStation®Store in July 2013. Not only the GT Academy 2013 demo presented for the first time the Silverstone Circuit as it will be included in Gran Turismo 6, but it was also a preview of what fans can expect from the latest evolution in technology.
Rather than discuss about the many complicated technical terms, we believe it’s better to talk about the feelings this "new technology” brings to the users. New technology never works on its own; it acts and reacts in conjunction with other technologies in order to create the overall final experience.
It is not our aim to have our fans understand every single detail of the technologies we use, but rather to have them simply say that they can't go back to Gran Turismo 5 once they have tried the new model: if that happens, it means we are on the right track.
New Dynamics
In Gran Turismo 6, we have collaborated with leading companies in the racing scenery such as Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive as technical partners. Insight and data for developing real cars in the partnership has been fed back into the physics model which governs the dynamics and behavior of the cars in the game.
i1g3RnqJ2xHswb.png

Tyre Model
Through the cooperation with Yokohama Rubber, a variety of tyres ranging from “Racing” to “Street” were analyzed. Detailed information and data not available to us until now have been integrated in the tyre model: the tyre structure, compound, load and changes in cornering force due to the slip angle have been captured, analysed and introduced in our new model. This made possible to create a new “tyre contact” feeling and a level of precision never reached before.
i1Jipj2WOPmVOb.jpg

i1KR1IYy7sOyx7c.jpg

i13FhRYCqFoyrEE.png

Suspension Model
KW Automotive is a company that has an extremely strong impact in the Nürburgring 24 hour race. Using their 7 post rig, a huge amount of information has been collected for springs and dampers, and we have incorporated this into the suspension model. Gains due to changes in surface input and differences in phases were recreated in detail, having the player experiencing the same feeling the driver has in a real car.
i1kwHSJsrvgxZb.jpg

i1CANPynF1tRNdB.jpg

i1tAZoil8GBeAW.jpg
icon_images_white.png
Aerodynamics
CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) is a tool that is fundamental today in vehicle development and motorsports. We have introduced this into the game to greatly increase the precision of aerodynamics characteristics under a variety of conditions. Changes to downforce due to the body shape, parameters of the under floor as well as differences in speed are recreated realistically, allowing you to experience the complex world of aerodynamics. Our new physics simulation has improved by leaps and bounds, and you will notice the difference as soon as you turn the steering wheel.

Awesome.
''The cars feel totally different'' no,the difference is small.
The car balance is bad again.
There is a bigger difference during braking with ABS-OFF.

Last edited:
I keep reading good things about GT6 and may go get another PS3.

I recently played GT5 after years of never trying it and it was complete rubbish. With all the new changes to the physics engine that's what is really catching my eye.

The cars in GT5 handled oddly, I never want to experience that again. I am hoping PD came to their senses and have radically changed the physics for the better.

GT5 physics isn't rubbish. It's not perfect but it is good.

What was good about it? Every car understeers, four wheel drifts almost always result in a wild snap back, it was a mess. Maybe I didn't play long enough to get good at it, but I want real handling cars, I don't want to have to practice at driving wild handling cars.

I would have given it a 3/10.

I will try a G27 on GT6 maybe that will help.

I don't know which games do you play in consoles that are better. If you want real feelings you'll probably have to go real.

I would love to feel like I'm really driving but technology isn't at that level yet (in any platform that I know). :)

I don't know which games do you play in consoles that are better. If you want real feelings you'll probably have to go real.

I would love to feel like I'm really driving but technology isn't at that level yet (in any platform that I know). :)

I do drive real and like many want a realistic game to sit down and play. Forza killed GT5 in the physics department.

GT4 had better physics than GT5 from what I remember.

It's not impossible to have realistic physics but the GT team in my opinion spent too much time worrying about small details versus providing a realistic experience.

Some cars were better than others and maye it was just the whole package of bad sound, ill handling cars, and a bad menu layout that made me toss it in the trash.

All I know is I'd rather have better physics than having realistic constellations in the night sky...lol

Technology is definitely at that level and can be done. 100% real? Probably not. Pretty darn close? Yes.

I like this part:

Aerodinamics: great improvements. Using slipstream from my ahead opponents I got less increase of velocity, and that was more realistic than in GT5. It will be very difficult to overtake an opponent just with slipstream on long straights and you had to be more clever to elaborate a good overtake.

:D

I like this part:

Aerodinamics: great improvements. Using slipstream from my ahead opponents I got less increase of velocity, and that was more realistic than in GT5. It will be very difficult to overtake an opponent just with slipstream on long straights and you had to be more clever to elaborate a good overtake.

:D

I dismiss to say that cars , increasing speed, had a different drivable respect on GT5 where is linear, for example Z4 GT3 over 150km/h I feel a different weight on car respect @ slow speed.

What was good about it? Every car understeers, four wheel drifts almost always result in a wild snap back, it was a mess. Maybe I didn't play long enough to get good at it, but I want real handling cars, I don't want to have to practice at driving wild handling cars.

I would have given it a 3/10.

I will try a G27 on GT6 maybe that will help.

I found the same understeer issue...when I went into the stickier tires. On native tires most FR's and MR's handled just fine ranging from neutral handling to slight but predictable oversteer, to the craziness of the NSX's and Yellowbirds (RR). 4WD's tended to be neutral and FF's tended to understeer. I did use a DFGT then switched to a G27 myself. I think the handling characteristics of all cars change for the worst when you take them off the tires they were programmed with.

GT4 had better physics than GT5 from what I remember.
If there's one specific aspect of GT5 where it excelled previous installments in every way imaginable, it was most certainly the physics. From what I remember and know is the fact that the physics in GT4 were pretty terrible and I'd go as far as saying that it was a step backwards from GT3. The lazy understeering, the overly sensitive countersteering and overcorrections that were almost impossible to recover from and most cars sharing a 4WD behaviour comes to my mind besides other issues it had. Even by the standards back in 2005 - it was dreadful.

While GT5's physics still has its apparent flaws, PD adressed those mentiond issues, thankfully. GT6 takes this a step further once again as far as I can tell, although torque steer still remains absent (goddamit PD *rabble rabble rabble*).

Last edited:
Wheter has Forza 4 better Physics than GT5 nor where the physics of GT4 better than GT5, it really seems you have no idea how cars handle...

I'm pretty sure I have a very good idea on how cars handle.

The GT4 comment may have been a bit more for comedy factory, I really can't remember GT4. lol

Maybe I just always had the wrong tires in GT5, but everything seemed to unrealistically understeer and if you got it to rotate, it seemed unrealistically hard to control a four wheel drift. Many cars felt very good at initial turn in, rotated, then sort of fell off and became strange to handle.

Maybe I am just too judgmental or maybe I just need to try it with a wheel.

I'm pretty sure I have a very good idea on how cars handle.

The GT4 comment may have been a bit more for comedy factory, I really can't remember GT4. lol

Maybe I just always had the wrong tires in GT5, but everything seemed to unrealistically understeer and if you got it to rotate, it seemed unrealistically hard to control a four wheel drift. Many cars felt very good at initial turn in, rotated, then sort of fell off and became strange to handle.

Maybe I am just too judgmental or maybe I just need to try it with a wheel.

Take out your wheel, grab a stock RX7 Type R 02' on SH tires and run a couple of laps at the 'Ring. Do the same with a stock NSX Type R 02'. Grab a Ruf BTR or Yellowbird on SH tires and try to hold on. I'll send you one if you don't have either one. Report back.

Take out your wheel, grab a stock RX7 Type R 02' on SH tires and run a couple of laps at the 'Ring. Do the same with a stock NSX Type R 02'. Report back.

Let me buy another PS3.

I literally bought one a few weeks ago from Target, bought GTAV and GT5, played for a week, then returned it...lol

Back