Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,865 comments
IMG_0786.jpeg

I only had time for 1 race. 10pm EST GT2 slot. Somehow I didn’t end up in a top GT2 split, as I usually do. A very unsatisfying win. I would’ve rather finished mid pack for more points.

I did a bit of strategy testing for Rd.6 of Nations a couple weeks ago before I went away, going from softest to hardest tire compounds. It looks like 9 laps is about as much I'll be able to push the RSs. I tried going 10 laps but the second rear tire went fully red on lap 10 and the car became very difficult to control.

I only did the two tests: 9RS-12RM-1RH and 10RS-13RM-1RH. The 9RS one was my first foray onto the track with the car, so you'll see that the lap times -- especially for the first stint -- were pretty erratic.

Anyways, here are the numbers:
StrategyOpt TimeBest TimeTotal timeAvg TimeAvg Dev
9RS-12RM-1RH#N/A1:54.74643:37.8201:58.9920:04.605
10RS-11RM-1RH#N/A1:53.52743:13.3041:57.8770:04.396

Tread levels at first pit (end of RS stint):
StrategyFront LeftFront RightRear LeftRear Right
9RS-12RM-1RH65%70%0%5%
10RS-11RM-1RH60%65%0%0%

Tread levels at second pit (end of RM stint):
StrategyFront LeftFront RightRear LeftRear Right
9RS-12RM-1RH70%75%30%35%
10RS-11RM-1RH75%80%35%35%

The tires were all at 100% at the end of the 1-lap RH stint.

The raw data is in the spreadsheet here.

Edit: It looks like Google is rounding the lap times to the nearest second in the embedded chart -- for me, anyways. If you want to see the more precise values, you may have to follow the link to the spreadsheet to view it there.

Last edited:
View attachment 1352075

I only had time for 1 race. 10pm EST GT2 slot. Somehow I didn’t end up in a top GT2 split, as I usually do. A very unsatisfying win. I would’ve rather finished mid pack for more points.
Out of curiosity, was your SR not full when you entered this race? I had that happen to me in the Toyota race…my SR dropped from perfect to middle S and it put me in a weak split for the next race.

Your and my DRs are very close (I believe I’ve seen you before) but I was in a higher split with a good door number despite having slightly lower DR at 10pm also last night.

Out of curiosity, was your SR not full when you entered this race? I had that happen to me in the Toyota race…my SR dropped from perfect to middle S and it put me in a weak split for the next race.

Your and my DRs are very close (I believe I’ve seen you before) but I was in a higher split with a good door number despite having slightly lower DR at 10pm also last night.
A couple pixels away from DR A and full bar of SR S. I haven’t been in lobby with that low of points in probably a year or so. I was door #1 with 85 points for the win. I was too tired to try again at 11pm.

I suspect that SR has nothing to do with it. My SR has been perfect S throughout GTWS and the Gazoo cup but I am often in shockingly low split compared to a year ago despite having higher DR than a year ago (average 75% DR-B during GTWS and Gazoo this year vs 50% DR-B a year ago).

Most of my GWTS races are ending up with the field insanely spread apart by end of the race. In the Daytona round, the lower half of the field felt like they just left DR-C behind. I had finished 3rd with zero incidents and only one 0.5 sec penalty (which I nullified by pitting) but the winner finished 45 seconds ahead of me. I was door#1. Just awful awful field spread!

There probably just are not enough players compared to a year ago. I also had stopped playing GT7 for 8 months and I came back only because of the 20-lap Spa in Daily C. Very hard to be motivated to take part when PD has an absolutely amazing game, tracks, and cars but zero creativity.
I was door #1 with 85 points for the win. I was too tired to try again at 11pm.
Yikes. Only 85 at almost DR-A! The 10PM EST slot used to be densely populated a year ago since it is 7PM for west coast folks, the ideal time after coming home from office.

------

While practicing Spa in the Red Bull car, my initial thought was that there is no way I can take part in this event. But after 10+ laps, it is manageable now. Still need a lot more practice to ensure zero incidents on Saturday. :)

GT1, EU, First Lobby. 192 points.
First season in GT1 and second victory in it "First at Watkins Glen".
There was little time to prepare. Qualified 4th. Finish 1st. It’s a pity for the leader who spun at the start.
In general, the race is a struggle. Not to say that I had a high pace, rather a little luck, and a different pit strategy.
I think the divebomb at 33:05 was a little reckless and dirty, but everyone seems to have survived unscathed

To be honest, I don't like the GT1 slot timing. According to my time, on weekdays it is 8 pm, and the 3rd slot is generally at midnight.
At first there was a desire to lower the rating and go to GT2. Or use a second account, but that's not fair to other people in this league. Although some do this, especially if you look at the GT2 tops, in which the same people have been there for several seasons in a row.

A couple pixels away from DR A and full bar of SR S. I haven’t been in lobby with that low of points in probably a year or so. I was door #1 with 85 points for the win. I was too tired to try again at 11pm.
Very strange! We should have been in the same split. I had very comparable stats and my lobby was worth ~133 or so. There were definitely drivers in that lobby who had lower DR than you.

I've got to stop reading this thread; you guys make this look sooooo easy! (kidding aside, I know it's not easy, just some real talent in here. Plus, I'm jealous)

I feel like I have to scrape, scratch, claw my way for midfield positions and it's starting to wear me down. That and the two race per-week, for two or three week schedule; I'm worn out. A break might be needed.

Last night, I'm running a mediocre P9 or 10 until just after my second outlap. I get just a little bit wide on turn1, opening myself up for the next hairpin. A driver decides to go for the tiny sliver inside (a sketchy and aggro move imo), clips the grass, spins to the right, overcorrects and comes right back into me, sending me to the wall. Full damage both ends. Third pit because I just don't care at this point.

Not sure about my motivation for the next race, although I'm pretty sure we had the x2019/spa combo before. I don't remember if I liked it or not. I need to take better notes (or, any notes actually)

Good luck!

My first time with a Red Bull, and da** it's a little hard, my best time was 01:55.xxx , it's a real challenge for control the pressure on fingers. I have a lot work to do for this event.
Maybe I will need to use more TC, need to test more. Any you guys using controller will use more TC than your usual?

@Moose78 What config on your test? For GT3 it will be Fuel 2x & Tyre 5x.

Last edited:
I've got to stop reading this thread; you guys make this look sooooo easy! (kidding aside, I know it's not easy, just some real talent in here. Plus, I'm jealous)

I feel like I have to scrape, scratch, claw my way for midfield positions and it's starting to wear me down. That and the two race per-week, for two or three week schedule; I'm worn out. A break might be needed.

Last night, I'm running a mediocre P9 or 10 until just after my second outlap. I get just a little bit wide on turn1, opening myself up for the next hairpin. A driver decides to go for the tiny sliver inside (a sketchy and aggro move imo), clips the grass, spins to the right, overcorrects and comes right back into me, sending me to the wall. Full damage both ends. Third pit because I just don't care at this point.

Not sure about my motivation for the next race, although I'm pretty sure we had the x2019/spa combo before. I don't remember if I liked it or not. I need to take better notes (or, any notes actually)

Good luck!
I agree, the schedule make it very hard to prepare properly. This is part of the fun: taking the time to prepare, practice, elaborate a strategy over a few days, a week... It makes race day more exciting.

@Moose78 What config on your test? For GT3 it will be Fuel 2x & Tyre 5x.
Yeah. I probably should have mentioned that in summary. I always drive the X2019 with at least TC 1. I bump it up to TC 2 when the tires wear enough for the back end to start slipping out. I run with BB 0 because I'm too lazy to figure out what is optimal. I'm not sure what I had the steering sensitivity in the controller settings set to for those tests, though.

Those are the same multipliers that the GT1 and GT2 get. Same number of laps, too. The only differences are that GT1 get heavy damage, and GT1 have tire wear enabled during qualifying.

My first time with a Red Bull, and da** it's a little hard, my best time was 01:55.xxx , it's a real challenge for control the pressure on fingers. I have a lot work to do for this event.
Maybe I will need to use more TC, need to test more. Any you guys using controller will use more TC than your usual?
I usually go with TC0 on Gr.4 and Gr.3 races with no issues. I struggle on Gr.2, Gr.1 and SuperFormula races, but I'm still competitive.

With the Red Bull there's simply no way I'd race with TC0. Not only my pace would be terrible, but also I would surely spin several times, maybe ruining someone else's race.

Ran some laps with it yesterday and still quit a bit off pace. Those little pollards or whatever they are called are so deadly in the X2019 😅

If I remember correct it was at the beginning of the year in my first Nations Cup when we already had this race at Spa. Remember to brake a little late after the long straight and flew over the curbs 🤣 Lots of fun though.

I would love a Red Bull Junior Cup 🤔

Last edited:

As daft as it seems, Daytona Road Course is quite tricky! Especially in the Group C cars.
The problem with Daytona, is some of the corners can make you lose so time.
T1 - you can lose time here. 1 trying to avoid the inside wall, but also it’s a fair fast entry corner.
T2-T5 (infield) - fairly straight forward, but again you can lose time
T6 (onto the oval loop) - good exit here needed. To slow and you lose time up to the bus stop.
Bus stop - again tricky corner with track limits. Again poor exit and your lose time on the oval loop.

I found Wednesday race more about just keeping it on track rather than pushing too hard. I was hoping for others to be slow or make the mistakes.

I agree, the schedule make it very hard to prepare properly. This is part of the fun: taking the time to prepare, practice, elaborate a strategy over a few days, a week... It makes race day more exciting.
I don’t understand why PD are in such of a rush with Manus & Nations now.
I remember the first official season was over 12/14 races, then they changed it to just 6 races. That first year they mixed nations and manu together, which was awkward at times as you were practicing for then had to switch 3 days later. I prefer this new method of blocking each series together, but it feels very rushed now, especially if you only participate in one series. 3 weeks of racing (for each series) and it’s done. They could easily spread it out over the 6 weeks.

I wish PD would offer more championships throughout the year. Exhibitions seasons should definitely be longer and more often.

Grid start tomorrow!

Don't fancy starting on hards but anything else in GT1 and lap one contact will ruin your race...
I'm very much expecting to pick up damage on lap 1, so I'm leaning towards a 1RH-12RM-9RS strategy. My only concern would be picking up damage in the second or third stints. Unless I make a third stop, I'm pretty much committed to riding out damage to the end of the stint.

Another option I've been considering is RS-RM-RH strategy where I run each as long the tires last or until I pick up damage. The problem with this is that even if I'm lucky enough to survive lap one without damage, I'm very likely to be held up in traffic by drivers on harder compounds and see no benefit from the better tires.

I'm very much expecting to pick up damage on lap 1, so I'm leaning towards a 1RH-12RM-9RS strategy. My only concern would be picking up damage in the second or third stints. Unless I make a third stop, I'm pretty much committed to riding out damage to the end of the stint.

Another option I've been considering is RS-RM-RH strategy where I run each as long the tires last or until I pick up damage. The problem with this is that even if I'm lucky enough to survive lap one without damage, I'm very likely to be held up in traffic by drivers on harder compounds and see no benefit from the better tires.
It is an interesting strategy choice we've got. Why would you pick 1H-12M-9S over 1H-9S-12M? I'd have thought softs for the early laps would give you the best chance to clear the late pitters before the strategies converge. Doing medium's first is more likely to leave you back in traffic having to fight your way past on Softs in the final stint.

I'm also liking the idea of starting on Mediums if I qualify mid pack. Then choosing 12M-9S-1H if I'm running near the front and have a good chance of running in clear air on the softs. Or 12M-1H-9S if I'm still midpack in the hope I'll get clear air at the back.

Last edited:
Why would you pick 1H-12M-9S over 1H-9S-12M? I'd have thought softs for the early laps would give you the best chance to clear the late pitters before the strategies converge. Doing medium's first is more likely to leave you back in traffic having to fight your way past on Softs in the final stint.
I hadn't really thought too much about the order of the longer stints. I was thinking of saving the RSs for later in the race when the field is more spread out and I'd have a better hope of overtaking cleanly, but you make a good point. If I'm near the front of the lap-1 pitters, it would probably make more sense to run the softs in the clean air and leave the mediums to the end. Thanks for pointing that out!

Always worry that doing 1 lap on hards last is risking the 1m penalty for not starting and finishing a lap on a required tyre... but someone can reassure me that it's fine!

Here's my latest installment of Manu Cup selection tests. This one is from Rd.2 at Interlagos. Just as a refresher, I'm looking at manufacturers that no GT1 driver in Canada picked last season.

Here are the numbers (ordered by Opt Time):
ManufacturerModelOpt TimeBest TimeTotal TimeAvg TimeAvg Dev
HyundaiGenesis Gr.31:33.7011:33.92320:34.0411:34.9260:00.509
RenaultRS.0.1 GT3 '161:33.7271:33.97320:35.9451:35.0730:00.502
DodgeViper SRT GT3-R '151:34.1261:34.28920:37.9531:35.2270:00.493
CitroenGT by Citroen Race Car (Gr.3)1:34.4411:34.79820:41.3641:35.4900:00.450
SuzukiSUZUKI VGT (Gr.3)1:34.5441:35.15420:47.9501:35.9960:00.755

Lap times:
gtws-mc-selection-rd2-lap-times.png

Interactive chart here.

Clearly, I'm not very consistent on this course, especially on the hard tires. My lap times are all over the place. At least the Opt Times correlate with the Total Times, so I feel the results aren't completely useless.

I was surprised that the Hyundai did so well here, being a FR car. I really expected the mid-engine Renault to dominate here.

As usual, I can't drive the Suzuki. It was also the first car that I tested, so the results were going to be doubly bad for it, anyway.

I expected the Citroen to do better here. It was the second car that I tested, and I felt like I was still getting reacquainted with the track for that test. Maybe if I ran it again, I'd see better results from it.

I ran all the cars with TC enabled. My default is to set TC 1, but I bumped that up to 2 for the FR cars (Hyundai, Dodge, and Suzuki) because I found that I was getting wheel spin coming out of some of the tighter corners. BB was 0 for all of the tests.

Raw data can be found in the spreadsheet here.

Hi guys, got one question on Manu selection: do you still get access to ALL the cars available to a Manu (for Nissan I believe that would be 6 cars) or do you have to choose one for each group?

Hi guys, got one question on Manu selection: do you still get access to ALL the cars available to a Manu (for Nissan I believe that would be 6 cars) or do you have to choose one for each group?
You can use any car from that specific Manu. However, you will have to buy any of them that aren't given when you sign. Meaning, the Gr3 Nissan you're given is the 2018 GT-R. If you want to use the GT500 you'll have to own it. But you can use it for sure.

Latest Posts

Back