Grid Autosport (General Discussion)

Vote for the name of Team Gtplanet

• Total voters
All their games feel rushed though and it seems like they're not going anywhere, with each new game, they fix something but then they go backwards with something else. Choosing between their F1 games should be an easy task, just buy the latest one and that's it but it isn't the case.

Same with their other series, each new interation has a completely different feeling and approach instead of improving upon the original concept, they just go in circles.

This game will be a 'fail', just like GT6. I would rather have another dirt than this.
Admittedly, I'm optimistic about GRID:AS and Codemasters last effort on the last-gen consoles, although still somewhat cautiously.

But if anything, it looks like it'll be a solid title (of what've heard so far), mainly due to the fact that they've actually been taking note of previous criticism - unlike PD.

All their games feel rushed though and it seems like they're not going anywhere, with each new game, they fix something but then they go backwards with something else. Choosing between their F1 games should be an easy task, just buy the latest one and that's it but it isn't the case.

Same with their other series, each new interation has a completely different feeling and approach instead of improving upon the original concept, they just go in circles.

Bought F1 2011. Regretted that purchase. Never bought another codies F1 game.

Devs, please establish an industry standard of having all sims and racing game on consoles at least, locked in at 60 fps. Tis' bout' damn time!

'This game will be rubbish because I wanted something else' I swear I see this said for just about every game nowadays.

Anyway, another Dirt is coming.

Yeah, we shouldn't really judge until a gameplay preview article or version at least is released.

The next Dirt game is what I'm really looking forward to the most. Maybe they'll strip it of the dudebro title and focus more on serious rallying with stages, more indepth car setups and all. Wishful thinking I know.. but let's see.

Codemasters moved toward Ken Block because they needed a mascot for the franchise. Colin McRae died while DIRT 2 was in production, and while it was released bearing his name, the McRae family requested that his name be removed from the franchise. With Black Bean acquiring the licence to the WRC, Codemasters had to move in a different direction. It's very difficult for them to get a new patron, since the WRC covers all of the current drivers. They could probably try for Sebastien Loeb, but he's off trying to make a name for himself in touring cars, so it would be a bit odd to attach his name to the franchise.

And following the experiment that was DIRT SHOWDOWN, I wouldn't be surprised if the next DIRT title is mostly rallying, rallycross and Trailblazer. After all, Codemasters have listened to fan feedback for GRID AUTOSPORT, so I see no reason why they cannot or will not do the same here. In depth car set-ups and realistic physics are out of the question, though. They have never showed any move towards it because they know it is not possible, so I am bemused that people still hold out hope for it.

They could do a DAKAR game , which covers a broad audience. More than the current WRC I think. Next to that it's ERC that runs quite well. Let's wait and see.

Looking forward to GAS :D

That's pretty much what Trailblazer is. But as far-reaching as Dakar is, its appeal and following are limited. Trailblazer works as a Dakar-Pikes Peak hybrid, but only alongside other rally modes.

The key will probably be the creation of the World Rallycross Championship. It plays to Codemasters' strengths, and its "World" status guarantees it widespread media coverage. It was disappointing in DIRT 3 because the circuits were simplistic to say the least. But a rally-rallycross-Trailblazer focus would work wonders for the franchise. But Codemasters need to demonstrate that they can and do listen to fans first.

Again a bit more info on the multiplayer rules

Q:
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO ADDRESS GRID 2'S ONLINE RAMFEST & DIRTY PLAYERS?

A:
Impact Ratings

These are still in GRID Autosport but we’ve made a few changes. In particular they now change over a larger number of races. As a result you won’t see the less rapid fluctuation in the rating that you did in GRID 2.

Drive Clean Award

There is a much better incentive for clean racing in GRID Autosport than it was in GRID 2. With buying and selling cars occurring with greater frequency in Autosport you’ll certainly want that money.

Impact Collisions

A collision between a player with a bad rating and a player with a good rating will affect the player with the bad rating more.

Penalty Ghosting

While under a penalty a player will find themselves ghosted. This should stop anyone from getting a penalty in order to hold up the traffic behind them. In short it stops them using their car as a blockade.

Collision Weightings

These have been fine tuned to make it much harder to take someone out, we’ll go on record to say it’s the most well refined it’s ever been.

Stationary on-track

Parking yourself on the track without moving will get you disqualified, do it repeatedly and you’ll be automatically removed from the session.

Kick-Rejoin

If you kick a troublemaker from a lobby they will not be able to rejoin.

Custom Cup (Custom playlists) Search

We’ve vastly improved the Custom Cup search functionality, to allow players to find sessions that suit their tastes better. If you want to race without collisions or damage, this will be much easier to find compared to GRID 2.

Full Damage

This is set to on as default in GRID Autosport, including official playlists. If you ram someone, chances are you’ll take yourself out of the race. With the mechanical damage system in play you won’t be able to abuse your car continuously.

Damage Done Costs $$$

You have to pay for damage done to cars, players that don’t race cleanly will find their progress hampered because they are always having to pay for repairs. More on this in the coming weeks.

Damage Model

The new damage model definitely helps, cars are stable and planted on the tarmac, it’s not like GRID 2 where cars drifted at incredible speeds all the time, and the slightest knock would send them out of control.

The Tracks

The focus on circuits means that there are proper run-offs, instead of road-side cliffs and trees that would send the cars rolling across the track like in GRID 2.

We'll be talking multiplayer in May, we'll of course go into much more detail then

I'm hoping leagues will get on well with Autosport. We've had lots of close racing internally, and when the rest of the car handling team and I have a race it's generally very tight as we're of pretty similar skill levels. I'd be over the moon to watch some league highlights on YouTube!

As for the handling, we've already posted a bunch about what we're going for. I will say that part of what I and some other designers do involves balance checks on the cars. So we'll do lap after lap after lap in order to check times. If at any point I get into a drift, the lap's ruined because I know I've just thrown a tenth or so down the drain. That's a big part of what we mean by 'authenticity;' a car may not behave 100% as its real life counterpart would, but you have to drive according to the same principles of real cars in order to be quick.

Last edited:
Must say this peaked my interest as I enjoyed GRID very much and was quite disappointed about GRID2, so I hope Codies will get it right this time.
But I'm cautious as my last experiences with Codies games and the Codies support are not that positive.

That's pretty much what Trailblazer is. But as far-reaching as Dakar is, its appeal and following are limited. Trailblazer works as a Dakar-Pikes Peak hybrid, but only alongside other rally modes.

Trailblazer was the mode I loved most, but still felt more like a proper rally track instead of rally raid.
Felt to restricting to feel really adventurous.
But you're probably right that a rally raid game would be for a niche market, but it would make for a unique product if done right.

Having a AI navigator guiding you to the finish line, but you still have to pick the best line yourself.
With a minimap with indicators for obstacles.

Glad to see Ravenwest back, hopefully the soundtrack is top notch too.

Combining these 2 will make for awesome races.

"Collision Weightings

These have been fine tuned to make it much harder to take someone out, we’ll go on record to say it’s the most well refined it’s ever been."

Turn 10 take note!!!

Hah! Ravenwest, we meet again.

Seriously, I'd fire GRID up, if it wasn't for Dark Souls II, just to get into a little, friendly competition with one of Ravenwest's drivers :D GRID might not have been very sim-heavy, but dang, it made for exciting racing. That and proper support for my Fanatec, that's probably all they need to get me. Well, the good thing about PC games is that you can always try them out before actually spending cash. Arr!

Neither should have an advantage, though we'll have to see how you guys get on with it to know for certain! The physics are the same regardless of whether you use a pad or wheel, there's no special speed boost for one or the other. Give me the same car on a pad and on the wheel and I'll set very similar lap times, so I hope that'll be the same for everyone.

I think it's a bit easier to be precise on a good wheel, but that level of precision is still available on a pad if you're careful.

Edit: Apologies for the messy post, the quote went weird!

This comes from the development team. I asked for the handling pad compared to a wheel

Last edited:
Codemasters moved toward Ken Block because they needed a mascot for the franchise. Colin McRae died while DIRT 2 was in production, and while it was released bearing his name, the McRae family requested that his name be removed from the franchise. With Black Bean acquiring the licence to the WRC, Codemasters had to move in a different direction. It's very difficult for them to get a new patron, since the WRC covers all of the current drivers. They could probably try for Sebastien Loeb, but he's off trying to make a name for himself in touring cars, so it would be a bit odd to attach his name to the franchise.

And following the experiment that was DIRT SHOWDOWN, I wouldn't be surprised if the next DIRT title is mostly rallying, rallycross and Trailblazer. After all, Codemasters have listened to fan feedback for GRID AUTOSPORT, so I see no reason why they cannot or will not do the same here. In depth car set-ups and realistic physics are out of the question, though. They have never showed any move towards it because they know it is not possible, so I am bemused that people still hold out hope for it.

Yeah, tough luck you know? I find it silly though why one has to resort to a PC to experience serious racing or rallying. Just silly... ya know? 👎

The key will probably be the creation of the World Rallycross Championship. It plays to Codemasters' strengths, and its "World" status guarantees it widespread media coverage. It was disappointing in DIRT 3 because the circuits were simplistic to say the least. But a rally-rallycross-Trailblazer focus would work wonders for the franchise. But Codemasters need to demonstrate that they can and do listen to fans first.

Now why can't cody babies focus on a Dirt game that revolves around WRC cars and stages? They don't have to showcase an entire season, but something along the lines of F1... in terms of seriousness and realism.

It can and will sell. They just don't want to do it. Seems they're very happy in their comfort zone. Maybe they want to focus on GRID as their flagship franchise.

Anyway, I am weary and annoyed of all this influx of casual racing games each year. The only reason I am still gaming is because Forza is around. Even GT doesn't do it for me no moh.

Oh well, it's been a great journey, these past 25 years or so. Won't be looking back on it much though. Might find a new hobby.

*que violin please*

Anyway, I am weary and annoyed of all this influx of casual racing games each year. The only reason I am still gaming is because Forza is around. Even GT doesn't do it for me no moh.

Oh well, it's been a great journey, these past 25 years or so. Won't be looking back on it much though. Might find a new hobby.

What about PC sim-racing? You know, Asseto Corsa, iRacing, rFactor 2, Game Stock Car, Project CARS...

Latest Posts

Back