Grid Autosport (General Discussion)

Vote for the name of Team Gtplanet

• Total voters
@Speedster911

This is what they actually said about the handling:

we believe the handling is actually one or two steps further towards simulation than Race Driver: GRID, to give you an idea

-----------------------------------
TRACKS
Grid1 and Grid2:
-Circuito del Jarama
-Nürburgring GP-Streckenlayout
-Donington Park
-Istanbul Park
-Le Mans
-Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
-Long Beach
-Indianapolis
-Brands Hatch
-Algarve, Portugal
-Red Bull Ring
-Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi

Grid Autosport:
-Hockenheim
-Sepang

Those are the reallife tracks I found in the list. There will be more circuits added as stated in their blog. Probably some of the F1 seasons (seems logical). The cars (shown) as someone said before, are all in GRID2. If we have around 85 cars focussed on the 5 disciplines within 8 experiences. I think we see a list of 10 cars minimum in every experience.

Racecars found in Grid 1 & 2. Of course it's possible they don't all return in Grid AS

Touringcars
1 - BMW 320 Touring Car
2 - Chevrolet Cruze Touring Car
3 - Chevrolet Lacetti WTCC
4 - Ford Focus TC
5 - Gomez Competition GC10.1
6 - Honda Civic TC
7 - Volvo S60 BTCS
8 - Volvo C30 STCC

GT
1 - Aston Martin DBR9
2 - Audi R8 LMS Ultra
3 - Chevrolet Corvette C5.R (#72 Luc Alphand Aventures
4 - Chevrolet Corvette C6.R (#63 Corvette Racing
5 - Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT
6 - McLaren MP4-12C GT3
7 - McLaren F1 GT-R
8 - Mercedes SLR McLaren 722 GT
9 - Mercedes SLS AMG GT3
10 - Nissan GT-R GT500
11 - Panoz Esperante GTLM
12 - Porsche 996 GT3-RSR
13 - Saleen S7-R
14 - Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R

Endurance
1 - Audi R10 TDI
2 - Courage C65
3 - Courage LC70
4 - Creation CA06/H Judd
5 - Doran JE4
6 - Lola B05/40
7 - Lola B06/10
8 - Mazda 787B
9 - Nissan R390 GT1

Openwheel
1 - Caterham Lola SP300R
2 - Dalara DW12 Indycar
3 - Dallara F306
4 - Jedi Race Cars FJ1000

Total of 35 racecars

Total 8 different "experiences" within 5 racing disciplines. 10 cars each is 80 cars already. Really hope to see new additions to the series!

It's just a thought:D what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I just spent a couple hours on the first Grid. I always loved the team manager aspect; not sure I could get into joining other teams as much. The physics were super irritating at times, only because the AI can find supernatural traction on long bends while you're struggling to keep from going wide. They just drive around you. Then, on tracks with complex corners or hairpins, the AI is miles behind, only to rubberband on any stretch with gentler corners. The level of enjoyment depends greatly upon the track (that is, the AI's competence at it).

If I get this game I'll miss my old pal Eiji Matzuke. He's one of the first drivers you could hire and not the most skilled, but when the game serves you a platter of BS -- like placing my rival on the pole with two points between us, while I'm randomly placed in 11th to start a 2 lap race -- I feel a sense of camaraderie from the struggles he faces himself.

If the gameplay is similar to a TOCA, it will be mine. It will be a good alternative with Gran Turismo 6.

By cons, if it approximates a GRID 2, it will be without me.

That is just plain wierd. How can you have endurance races with tire wear and fuel depletion and no pit stops? A motorsport game they say!

Err.. it ain't a sim racer. Codies did say it's going to boast more "realism" than GRID II, and it might even lean on the sim side of things, however, it's definitely no sim racer.. judging from the way the cars were moving around in those preview clips. Looks a lot like GRID I and II actually. Codies really need to go back to their TOCA roots, I hope they do.

I have seen the same videos and interviews that you have and I am aware of what was stated and where they feel their physics are in the game. I called myself a sim racer and stated that this sim racer is going to lay down some hard earned cash for a pre order.

Anywy, I'm going to call it a sim racer regardless, it may not be right up there with other sim racing titles in terms of physics or whatever but if people here have the audacity to call GT6 a sim racer then I'm going to be bold enough to include Grid AS in that genre!

This game has put a pep in my step and I can't wait to start racing in a touring car career and against others online. Can't stop watching the 'dashboard cam' clips of the touring cars!

However, I completely agree with you about the pit stop situation, I'm hoping that if we make enough noise they may add them at some point. I would be happy if pit stops were just a matter of driving in the pits, stopping and driving out again with new tyres and fuel...I don't need fancy animations!

When has Codemasters
I have seen the same videos and interviews that you have and I am aware of what was stated and where they feel their physics are in the game. I called myself a sim racer and stated that this sim racer is going to lay down some hard earned cash for a pre order.

Anywy, I'm going to call it a sim racer regardless, it may not be right up there with other sim racing titles in terms of physics or whatever but if people here have the audacity to call GT6 a sim racer then I'm going to be bold enough to include Grid AS in that genre!

This game has put a pep in my step and I can't wait to start racing in a touring car career and against others online. Can't stop watching the 'dashboard cam' clips of the touring cars!

However, I completely agree with you about the pit stop situation, I'm hoping that if we make enough noise they may add them at some point. I would be happy if pit stops were just a matter of driving in the pits, stopping and driving out again with new tyres and fuel...I don't need fancy animations!

A Codies employer posted on GAF that they are not focussing on realism but focussing on authenticity...No way will this game be a sim that's just not Codemasters.

When has Codemasters

A Codies employer posted on GAF that they are not focussing on realism but focussing on authenticity...No way will this game be a sim that's just not Codemasters.

Like I said, I am aware of what has been stated. I'm sorry if my calling this game a 'racing sim' offends you and others so much but as far as I know, have read and seen, this game is going to simulate a motor sport career for the player, and I'm hopeful that it will do it much better than the game I'm currently playing.

If it turns out to be no good then I can always go back to playing a game that simulates moon exploration, star gazing & single file rolling starts and wait for pCars.

Like I said, I am aware of what has been stated. I'm sorry if my calling this game a 'racing sim' offends you and others so much but as far as I know, have read and seen, this game is going to simulate a motor sport career for the player, and I'm hopeful that it will do it much better than the game I'm currently playing.

If it turns out to be no good then I can always go back to playing a game that simulates moon exploration, star gazing & single file rolling starts and wait for pCars.

My advice would be stop playing GT games and play something alot better.

@Speedster911

This is what they actually said about the handling:

-----------------------------------
TRACKS
Grid1 and Grid2:
-Circuito del Jarama
-Nürburgring GP-Streckenlayout
-Donington Park
-Istanbul Park
-Le Mans
-Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
-Long Beach
-Indianapolis
-Brands Hatch
-Algarve, Portugal
-Red Bull Ring
-Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi

Grid Autosport:
-Hockenheim
-Sepang

Those are the reallife tracks I found in the list. There will be more circuits added as stated in their blog. Probably some of the F1 seasons (seems logical). The cars (shown) as someone said before, are all in GRID2. If we have around 85 cars focussed on the 5 disciplines within 8 experiences. I think we see a list of 10 cars minimum in every experience.

Racecars found in Grid 1 & 2. Of course it's possible they don't all return in Grid AS

Touringcars
1 - BMW 320 Touring Car
2 - Chevrolet Cruze Touring Car
3 - Chevrolet Lacetti WTCC
4 - Ford Focus TC
5 - Gomez Competition GC10.1
6 - Honda Civic TC
7 - Volvo S60 BTCS
8 - Volvo C30 STCC

GT
1 - Aston Martin DBR9
2 - Audi R8 LMS Ultra
3 - Chevrolet Corvette C5.R (#72 Luc Alphand Aventures
4 - Chevrolet Corvette C6.R (#63 Corvette Racing
5 - Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT
6 - McLaren MP4-12C GT3
7 - McLaren F1 GT-R
8 - Mercedes SLR McLaren 722 GT
9 - Mercedes SLS AMG GT3
10 - Nissan GT-R GT500
11 - Panoz Esperante GTLM
12 - Porsche 996 GT3-RSR
13 - Saleen S7-R
14 - Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R

Endurance
1 - Audi R10 TDI
2 - Courage C65
3 - Courage LC70
4 - Creation CA06/H Judd
5 - Doran JE4
6 - Lola B05/40
7 - Lola B06/10
8 - Mazda 787B
9 - Nissan R390 GT1

Openwheel
1 - Caterham Lola SP300R
2 - Dalara DW12 Indycar
3 - Dallara F306
4 - Jedi Race Cars FJ1000

Total of 35 racecars

Total 8 different "experiences" within 5 racing disciplines. 10 cars each is 80 cars already. Really hope to see new additions to the series!

It's just a thought:D what do you guys think?

Mehh, more or less arcade-inspired physics with a pinch of realism!

My advice would be stop playing GT games and play something alot better.
Good advice...however it's easier said than done on the PS3, choices are limited, but come 24th June there will be one more option to choose from, can't wait!

Well even if the handling will be "authentic" and less "hardcore sim" I think it will be magnificent wenn we are all able to head for the first corner on Brands Hatch with our own or club liveries door 2 door with a GT, Openwheeler or Touringcar :D

Codemasters has my attention. Loved Grid 1 with a controller, hated it with a wheel, didn't play Grid 2 and have been apprehensive about CM racing games since. (still debating with myself on a CM Formula 1 game)

I really hope they release a demo so we can get a small taste of the physics and see how it works with the various wheels. As I said in another post, I do love the "season" aspect as opposed to just having different events. I think the guys at CM said they'll be focusing more on the racing this time, which I agree with whole heartedly but many of the "off-the-track" attributes of Grid 1, such as sponsors, liveries, team management was fun and interesting and I hope they don't strip that aspect down.

I just spent a couple hours on the first Grid. I always loved the team manager aspect; not sure I could get into joining other teams as much. The physics were super irritating at times, only because the AI can find supernatural traction on long bends while you're struggling to keep from going wide. They just drive around you. Then, on tracks with complex corners or hairpins, the AI is miles behind, only to rubberband on any stretch with gentler corners. The level of enjoyment depends greatly upon the track (that is, the AI's competence at it).

If I get this game I'll miss my old pal Eiji Matzuke. He's one of the first drivers you could hire and not the most skilled, but when the game serves you a platter of BS -- like placing my rival on the pole with two points between us, while I'm randomly placed in 11th to start a 2 lap race -- I feel a sense of camaraderie from the struggles he faces himself.

This, so much! 👍 They need to to take all the awesome stuff from the original Grid and leave the bad out.

In the article that was posted earlier, it goes on to say GRID Auto came about as a result of the stuff that went wrong with GRID II, after listening to the fans and their reactions. Doubt if it was in development before that.

Yeah I'm aware of them saying that but it seems suss to me. GRID 2 released only May last year, some five years after the original. If they were taking feedback on board from that game it seems unlikely they could make all the changes and release a new game less than a year later.

It is just a theory of course and I could well be wrong but I'm thinking they started on this game at some point in those five years, possibly first, then ended up going onto what we eventually saw of GRID 2. Maybe GRID 2 was started as a spin off that became a main entry, I don't know. Something just seems off to me.

@Samus, when GRID AS turns out to be great, are you finally going to put that microphone towards your mouth and start to sing "Another one bites my dust" :D?

Not really sure what you're saying to be honest? I'm looking forward to this game, just curious about it's development.

Yeah I got the Queen reference, just not what you were getting at. :P

But yeah, this should be good, so long as the handling is fun. It doesn't need to be real, just fun and forgiving. First GRID was pretty close to it but cars did slide a little too much, so a slight nudge more towards sim should be just about right.

Not sure if anyone posted this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113604

Journalists from AUTOSPORT have been involved in the development of the handling model for the cars, with the emphasis being on creating a title that will appeal to racing fans as well as gamers.

"The design philosophy was to create a really focused racing game," said chief games designer James Nicholls.

"We've jettisoned anything that doesn't support the on-track competition and we've chosen a selection of cars and tracks that will give players a range of different racing experiences."

AUTOSPORT's Simon Strang added: "The TOCA games were an office favourite back in the day, so when Codemasters said they wanted to take the series back to its core fanbase we got stuck in to help.

"Many of our guys that helped with the handling are either elite former racers or active amateurs, so Codemasters were able to extract aspects of knowledge and understanding that would otherwise slip by.

"While you want the cars to feel authentic, you don't necessarily want to spend hours mastering it, and we hope that the balance is struck right for the players of the game."
space.gif

space.gif

space.gif

It is just a theory of course and I could well be wrong but I'm thinking they started on this game at some point in those five years, possibly first, then ended up going onto what we eventually saw of GRID 2. Maybe GRID 2 was started as a spin off that became a main entry, I don't know. Something just seems off to me.

I had the impression it was a half-assed response to the pleas of those wanting a sequel. Done up in the year prior to release.

I guess the telling point will be in just how much is recycled content. There is only so much you can do in 9 months, let's see if the content matches up to that.

Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something! If there will be some content of previous much older titles, that would be epic! However I don't get my hopes up, I'll leave it in the back of my mind until there is some "proof" :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-04-23 at 20.57.46.png
    Screenshot 2014-04-23 at 20.57.46.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
Chris Harris "helped" with Grid 2. The whole journalist racing drivers car figures helping and giving input to titles with a broad no sim appeal is stupid in my opinion.
It is stupid if it's done just to collect a paycheque and it has no real meaning and sometimes that's the case. But the quote I gave gives us something to measure the results against. It's not supposed to be a hardcore sim nor a jokey arcade game but something in the middle. Those are the expectations they must fulfill or risk losing all credibility. We'll see how close they come to their own mark soon enough.

They can't compete with other titles in the hardcore simulation market, and they know it (though ironically, I remember PlayStation Magazine deducting marks from CMR2.0 because GT2 had wider rally courses, even though CMR2.0 was much more of a rally stimulator). But at the same time, there is no real market for a pure arcade experience, which they proved with DIRT SHOWDOWN. Ever since the rise of GRAN TURISMO and FORZA as the dedicated racing simulators, Codemasters have emphasised accessibility over technical depth. That has drawn criticism, but they are a small developer, and they know that the hardcore simulator market only has limited appeal. Just look at this year's Formula 1 cars as a perfect example - they are extremely difficult to drive. Codemasters could probably accurately replicate that if they wanted to, but all they would do is ostracise casual fans. I'm a huge fan of Formula 1, but when I play games, I just want to jump straight in and race. I don't want to spend two hours adjusting my spring settings by a few millimeters to pick up a tenth of a second so that I can qualify for the race. That sounds like an absolute chore.

Codemasters have done nothing wrong by choosing accessibility as their core principal. If you want someone to blame, then look further than the people who will not be satisfied by anything less than a hardcore simulator, and then criticise Codemasters for not making a hardcore simulator, even though they never promised one.

Back