GT: HD Concept Impressions

OK, maybe it's me....OR.....maybe it's the fact that I am so damned excited about this release that I can't seem to find the link to get it!!

Please...please, please, please, please, please, please, please show me the link!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D :cheers:

Finaly GOT IT! :scared:

I just wish there was FFB on my DFP but that is about it....The game is great for a demo with the online rankings as incentive to play more.

btw i am rl9010 on the boards.

Along with many others. I have recently aquired the PS3 and down loaded and played the GT HD concept game. IMO you can really see the graphical improvements. Soundwise can not tell much, however tire spinning etc. may have been toned down a little. After literally one days worth of playing for maybe 3 to 4 hours total I am impressed. The graphics look incrediably good especially the car models. The cars seem to drive better more fluid like. "A" plus or score of 10 is what I would give it based on what it is, which is just a taste of things to come. So if you are like I was until yesterday. Meaning should you or shouldn't you take the step and get a PS3. If you love the GT series for what it is, you will not be disappointed. Enjoy.

When watching replays and you pause where the car is in close up mode but not overly zoomed in you can really see the graphics improvements.

Never been a drifter in the very least little bit. However the drift mode is interesting and fun.

One thing that I have noticed is that when to brake hard the view does not change to show that the front end is going down like in GT4. It is most likely just because of the cars in the demo which do not really reflect the weight transfer like the muscle cars in GT4.

I tried reading through this thread but couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone else think the replays are a little choppy? And the blur effect isn't right either (on the wheels or the car). I realize this is just a demo. I just want to make sure I'm not the only one getting this. During actual gameplay everything looks flawless, but replays need some work I think.

Anyone agree?

GT HD is really awesome! i can't wait untill it comes out! i'm decent at the demo...i usually place in the top 5 in drift mode with certain cars(Honda Integra) & i'm workin' on gettin' 1st with the Elise.

good luck, sileightycyrus is quite the beast.

Thank you...I need to start playing again though. I have been working crazy crazy hours lately trying to organize stuff for work, and haven't had the time to play, but I was recently blown away by some of the records I found on youtube so I've got some crazy stuff to shoot for.

well first impressions are very good when I look at it as an early development preview, though I haven't finished TT mode yet I plan to do so tonight and I can see it getting pretty boring after that.

I tried reading through this thread but couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone else think the replays are a little choppy? And the blur effect isn't right either (on the wheels or the car). I realize this is just a demo. I just want to make sure I'm not the only one getting this. During actual gameplay everything looks flawless, but replays need some work I think.

Anyone agree?

I totally agree. In the replay, the background flickers when the camera zooms in or out. I think it has something to do with the blur effect. The background seems to "snap" into and out of focus creating lines.

After GT4 this version is a step in the right direction but they still got a lot to do namely the sound. They better not **** that part up. Either way, it's easier to drift and that means less understeer which is good because it's what killed gt4...

PS3 kiosks have finally been updated with new games (or at least at a Wal-Mart I been to on Saturday). At a Wal-Mart in Pearland, TX, I had the honor to play "Gran Turismo HD" for the first time. There was a demo of "Armored Core 4" on the PS3 kiosk. And so when I exited out of that game to look for others, I noted GTHD on there. I didn't hestitate to play it. So let me give you my impressions with this deal.

--- John's Gran Turismo HD Report ---

I used the following cars in my hotlaps and drifts around Eiger Nordwand:
* Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano (leave out the "Fiorano?")
* Toyota Celica GT-Four Rally Car
* Infiniti G35

THE TRACK
Eiger Nordwand is a track that I first thought would lead up to the return of Grindelwald. It's more of a rally course, but okay for drifting and maybe some road racing as well. The toughest part of the course is that left-right chicane that leads to a hairpin. VERY tough to nail in Drift Mode and even in hotlaps.

THE CARS I USED
* (Ferrari 599 GTB) GTHD shows signs at the debut of Ferrari in the Gran Turismo series. I tried out the Ferrari 599 GTB. Rosso Corsa for a Ferrari is like British Racing Green for almost any British sports car- a must-have color for a car like this. It's called the 599, but it packs about 572hp. I have to remember that all of this is still a work-in-progress. The Ferrari gets up to speed pretty well and handles pretty well on Racing tires. I even did some hot laps in a drift-spec Ferrari 599 GTB. More on drifting later in this post. But I think this is a pretty good car to race with once GT5 hits stores. I think I managed one-lap passes of about 82 seconds (1:22.000) around Eiger Nordwand with this car. Very capable machine.

* (Infiniti G35) I used the Infiniti G35 only for drifting. I figured I needed a RWD car to enjoy drifting fully. My sideways action was pretty shaky all lap as it was my first full-on drift in a game I've never played on a track I've never played. I turned off ASM and TCS in my drifts. I was never really a fan of the G35, but damn... nice-looking car. I think I managed less than 50 points in my first drift lap. But afterwards, I tried to use more careful control techniques, and I've been racking up a number of points in drifts. I managed about 1,224 pts. in my second lap. Not bad for a guy playing Gran Turismo HD for the first time on a new track.

* (Toyota Celica GT-Four Rally Car) I wasn't very good with a RWD car without assists. So let me see if I can go with a 4WD car without assists. Most of my drifts were pretty good with the GT-Four. If I had more time on my hands to play the game, I would have went for the Lancer IV. The Celica GT-Four has 4WD, meaning that I could get the sliding of RWD while getting the traction of FWD in one package. I think I sustained better drifts in the GT-Four than with the G35. I finished with an amazing 2,552 pts. in one of my drift runs.

THE GRAPHICS
* I noticed some glowing from the sunlight in the game. It seemed to make the cars glow a bit under the sunlight. It also affected the mountains. It's still a far cry from the lighting effects in "Enthusia Professional Racing," but it's a great touch. I'd still love to see the sun's lights sparkling off the cars. Maybe even watching the lights from street lamps and flood lights glitter like jewels at speed. PD will need to put in a muscle car with some chrome on it to see how it would do with this new lighting model. Maybe if the Chevrolet Bei-Air was in the game, then we could see some of the lighting effects at work.

* It's a blast watching the animated driver go to work. Nicely-designed interiors are also available as you watch replays and do some racing. It's just an evolution from the visible drivers in Gran Turismo 4. It sort of began with Gran Turismo 3 and the Formula cars, continued with one of the Gran Turismo Concept machines (Suzuki GSX-R4), and then to convertibles and LMPs. It's only getting better. I'd still want to be able to design my own racing outfit and ever choose outfits and helmets. Just don't make everyone's out in that ugly orange color like some of the generic rFactor racers.

* The HD deal looks clean for the most part. Replays make it look like I'm watching something on Speed Channel (when no NASCAR hype is on) or Europe's Motors TV or Sky Sports. They're a bit slow. Don't know if it's a dramatic effect with the TV cameras or what.

DRIFT!
The drift model could still be pefected a bit better than what I played. It put some good emphasis on where to initiate a drift. These are small sections to try to drift as opposed to something like drifting at Ebisu or Irwindale. The difference is that you have different sections to drift as indicated by crossing the start of the section. In something in Formula D or the D1GP, it's all drifting in which you have your fair share of slaloms and switchbacks. It's actually quite fun in this game.

OBSERVATIONS
* no in-car view with visible steering wheel and hands? Maybe I was thrown off by that teaser.
* most of the same physics (still a WIP)
* learned the vehicle pictures with the red accent in the car menu are drift-spec machines.

* I stared at the scenery too long in the pre-race menu. Since I was too late to press "X," the game went back to the title screen!

* some wonderful music for the car select and pre-race. You can't really hear too much of the music in a noisy Wal-Mart. However, you can hear the MotorStorm stuff just fine.

OVERALL
I can't wait until GT5 is eventually released. This passes the time very nicely. I give it 80% approval.

I love how you are ranked in the Time Trial.

Well it seems like they just reset the rankings and I was able to get on Podium with a 1:15.426 using the Evo :)

I know some mofos will be doing 1:14 and probably 1:12 lol

but ahhh yes, I love the precision that is required.

You feel every bump and every little loss of grip, trying to figure out if it's faster to grip or drift it out.

I bought the PS3 and started to have some small regrets until spending hours just attacking this awesome track.

Just thinking about a two car battle on that track makes my mouth water.

If Sony goes bankrupt after GT5 is released, all that money to only play this game would have been completely worth it. 👍

I'm going to offer a few more impressions.

The majority of my time with Gran Turismo HD was with drifting. I tried my luck with the Lancer Evolution VIII(?) and did pretty okay for a 4WD car. I actually stumbled with the Celica Rally Car, even with driving aids off. I did a test run with the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. As Driving Aids were off, I noted that the car had a pretty nice slide. So I tried some drifting around the tricky Eiger Nordwand. As it turned out, most of my drifts were clean. I avoided the wall and grass for the first two sections. I found that moderation in throttle and braking is key to getting great drifts. I'm obviously not Samuel Hübinette or Ken Gushi (and I like both of them), but I did pretty well. Another technique I found in easily getting a few points is to simply swerve around even on straights. These alone gets you anywhere between 50 to 100 points. It was tough to get a solid drift for the final section. But with my Italian stallion, I managed to swerve around a bit and then nail a sweet drift heading towards the final gate. This was all en route to a 3,998-point drift lap. I'd sure love to try out more cars for GTHD in addition to another track or two. It was a truly fun experience as I'm coming to grips better with drifting (no pun intended).

QSpecs thoughts on GTHD:

Whats better:

Graphics. (replays were a little choppy but that is due to the fact that it was downloaded, so we arent getting the best quality.)

Driving: The way the car handled was way more realistic.

Burnouts and Doughnuts: On all of the previous GT's the donuts (spelling?) were non-existant including burnouts. On GTHD I could do all of those and it looked and felt real.

Needs work:

The way a car lands and reacts to a hard fall. I did a huge jump and the car landed like a butterfly.

Tire smoke: I dont know why they can't do tire smoke very well.

Drifting needs some work on how they capture your points. Like it was pointed out earlier you can lose control and still keep the points.

Conclusion: The game is awesome, with revamped and better menu with beautiful music. No more "Oh Yeah" by Yalo hopefully. The game has made some serious upgrades but with what we know they are capable of doing they still have some work to do. Which is why im glad they made GTHD a demo.

Okay, my co-worker signed on here and edited my profile making me sound gay. Which, I am definately not.

FINALLY! Finally someone who disliked "Oh Yeah" in GT4. I always liked the fail theme from the license tests in GT3 better. As far as other music goes, no NASCAR-style country music like that one song in GT4. Care to discuss which cars you used, QSpec? How did you like the 599 GTB Fiorano (if you used it)?

FINALLY! Finally someone who disliked "Oh Yeah" in GT4. I always liked the fail theme from the license tests in GT3 better. As far as other music goes, no NASCAR-style country music like that one song in GT4. Care to discuss which cars you used, QSpec? How did you like the 599 GTB Fiorano (if you used it)?

Okay, that song is the worst song known to man. I remember before I took that song off the cycle that it came up during a race. I made the fastest laps on that race because I hated that song so much i wanted to get the race over with as fast as possible.

ANYWAY, the menu music is like real authentic old timey jazz, not the fake computer-generated jazz sounds on GT4. Great quality too. Game music from what I heard is updated rock. Nothing I recognized though, and it was quiet enough that I could enjoy the sound of the cars.

Okay, about the car. Fiorana is a beautiful car, I actually preffer the car in a medium-dark blue color (forgot the actual name). With the graphics and the lighting on that particular track it brings out everything wonderfully. I love that they put time into making the wheels of the car. All of the stock wheels on GT4 looked like they were from GT1. The detail they spent as far as making the inside of the headlamps and tailamps is amazing. The car sounds like it should, and so do the tires when you drift or spinnout. Umm, so yeah, the car is beautiful.

On the track I noticed that at a high elevated point you can see the other side of the track clearly. I hope if I were to play two player I would be able to watch my opponent on the other side of the track.

Edited:
The other car I commonly use is the Drift version or "/T" version of the Evo IX (for those of you who dont know it means 9). This car has the HP power to do some nice drifting. Like I said about the Ferrari, they were more attentive to detail. The whole car including the wheels and the visibility to see inside the car was generations better than GT4. Beautiful sound efx and lighting effects. I lied earlier about doing burnouts, you can't sit there and burn the tires, but when you gas from a stop the tires spin more realistically. The things that really get to me still is the way the car handles after a huge fall. Theres a part on the track where you can ramp really high, but when you land its like you floated down. And, the tire smoke was also like from GT3.

Another thing we share in common- a love of the color blue. I'm more of a purist, though. I think it has to be Rosso Ferrari or nothing. I think the more official name is Rosso Corsa. Anyhow, I am going to have to sample the burning out and stuff. The game just feels much different from GT's past. This speaking as a veteran of the series. I'll need to sample stuff like burnouts and such. With the right modifications to this current engine, I think even the muscle car lovers will love burning out the wheels and going crazy on the track. There are no American cars in the current build. I say they mix things up. Maybe have a 2005 Mustang GT and then a 1963 Corvette Sting Ray. I always say that the Corvette is an "in-between" muscle car. In-between because... it's a sports car? Or a muscle car?

But I'm going to sample some of the little nuances of GTHD to see how they act with this new model. As I mentioned before, it just feels much more different. I turn off the ASM and TCS in my GTHD runs. Driving without driver aids in GTHD is much different from GT4. It's probably because this is more of a tarmac rally course than a traditional road racing circuit. With these tarmac rally courses, you have to be better able to navigate the track and be in better control of the road than you are with a traditional road course. We have been seeing Le Mans in another demo version of GTHD. I'd like to see Le Mans featured alongside Eiger Nordwand to get an idea as to how the driving dynamics are different with this new driving model. But then, they may need to have a better road course for drifting (not taking anything away from Le Mans). Maybe they should include Motorland for drifting on a traditional road course.

I'll need to keep playing this and try to look for some kiosks that feature updated content.

Yeah, like I said to my knowledge you can't just sit there and burn the tires (havent tried with all the vehicles). Donuts however you can do. I really hope they dont use a Hoover vacuum cleaner as the engine sound for the muscle cars this time around. That was very dissapointing and aggravating.

I have a new personal high score in Drift Mode. I raced the Lancer Evolution VII around the good old Eiger Nordwand. The 4WD Lancer has amazing control. Even for a 4WD car in this Drift Mode, this Lancer actually handles much better than the Celica Rally Car in GTHD. I make sure to disable TCS and ASM in trying to make my drift runs. In my final lap, I ripped some great drifts and tried to avoid the walls or taking all four tires off course. My previous best in an earlier post was in the 3,900 range. Well in my beautifully blue Lancer VII Evolution drift car, I ripped a total of about 5,510 points. 4WD isn't traditionally used in drifting (FWD in drift is a no go for many drift afficionados). But I think the usage of 4WD works well since Eiger Nordwand is a twisty tarmac rally course. All the slow corners and some of the different elevation changes make this course a nice place to practice drifting. You NEVER master the track until you tackle that uphill chicane at the northeastern end of the track. Getting a drift starting from the chicane is almost difficult. Best thing you can do is to tackle the chicane like it was a standard road race. Then, try to enter some feint drift to set yourself up for the easier chicane afterwards. A stylish thing I try to do is to go through the checkpoint gates sliding hard while not hitting the wall or spinning to a complete stop. Just takes some practice.

I tried doing some burnouts and stuff. I mostly did burnouts with the Ferrari in the game. It may not be that of the American muscle car type with lots of smoke, but you can still lay down some rubber anywhere you please. I haven't attempted a donut. Looks like I'm getting better making these runs around the track. I still wish more tracks and cars were available. Hopefully, we'll get that for home PS3's as well as PS3 kiosks at stores.

Yay! Finally downloaded GTHD on my PS3 (and with a dial-up connection, that's no small feat)!

It's just fun to linger on the car selection screen and watch the cars slowly spin while listening to the sweet music... ^____^

The menu music is very sweet to listen to. This even if GameInfomer makes a review of "Forza Motorsport 2" while taking a quick cheapshot at the GT series by talking about how FM2 doesn't have the jazzy music of the GT series. Even in a noisy Wal-Mart, you can still hear some pretty good music. In other words, the music is nice. I'd still like to hear the themes for the car select as well as the pre-race intro music. And remember not to stare at the amazing visuals too long before starting a race. The end result is that you have to start all over again picking the mode and car you want. Believe me. I stared at the visuals too long in pre-race, and it went back to the main menu!

Worthless, worthless WOW-lovin Game Informer. Any who, the GTHD piano-tune is the best Menu music that I have heard in a long time as opposed to the wretched butt-rock or Fall Out Boy/My Chemical romance that most games shove down your throat. Thankfully I can replace Forza's tunes with my own. With Gran Turismo I dont have to worry about that (even though I wouldnt be able to do anything about it if I didnt like it). Im finished rambling now.

Worthless, worthless WOW-lovin Game Informer. Any who, the GTHD piano-tune is the best Menu music that I have heard in a long time as opposed to the wretched butt-rock or Fall Out Boy/My Chemical romance that most games shove down your throat. Thankfully I can replace Forza's tunes with my own. With Gran Turismo I dont have to worry about that (even though I wouldnt be able to do anything about it if I didnt like it). Im finished rambling now.

You can turn the menu music off in all the other GT games that I remember - don't forget this is just a demo! But yes, the music is great and I really don't miss this feature (though I've always chose it in the previous titles).

It was another tour of duty for me in GTHD. I tried to diversify my car choices a bit for Drift Mode. My new official drift car for GTHD is the Lancer Evolution 9. Its 4WD gives me the slide job of RWD, but the traction of FWD. I could only get so much control out of a RWD car until I stumble and blow a drift. One time in my Lancer Evo IX, I hit an insane drift in that sweeping right turn leading to the tunnel. All 10 flags lit up... and I was a happy boy. My new personal best is 5757 points. I even had a brand-new all-time best lap time. I made a 76-second run around Eiger Nordwand with a time of about 1:16.9?8. I think I made a 1:16.928. Pretty fast car, eh?

I tried some of the other cars in Drift Mode. The Celica Rally Car still does not have as much control as I would like. Funny I say that because you usually expect rally cars to handle tarmac and non-tarmac sections quite well. Unfortunately, the Celica isn't of any good to me. * Never drift with a mid-engine car. The Elise in the game isn't a real good idea for drift mode. You need impressive control of a car better known for handling prowess. * The Miata and the Cappuccino spin out too easily. I spent more time spinning out than nailing drifts. Hell, I hit better drifts in "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2" with a Miata than in this title. * The R32 Skyline in GTHD has some good control, but it is tougher to drift than the Lancer. * I even used the Evolution 4 Lancer. Control was decent, just not as much positive feel as I am with the Lancer Evo 9.

This is a final note. GTHD has three menu songs when you select a car. I almost wanted to cry to the third song because it's so beautiful. I'm perfectly fine with soft music even if people think every racing game has to be "Burnout: Dominator" as far as music. I still think that game is a crime against humanity for not only having Avril Lavinge music, but in different languages. Anyhow, the third menu song for GTHD is soft and beautiful. In the Wal-Mart I was in, some of these kids were playing around this music sampling thing. Playing kiddie songs that just p*ss me off. I'd love to have some of these songs to play over and over again on my PC. They're just menu songs, but they're lovely. Especially the third different menu song.

It was another tour of duty for me in GTHD. I tried to diversify my car choices a bit for Drift Mode. My new official drift car for GTHD is the Lancer Evolution 9. Its 4WD gives me the slide job of RWD, but the traction of FWD. I could only get so much control out of a RWD car until I stumble and blow a drift. One time in my Lancer Evo IX, I hit an insane drift in that sweeping right turn leading to the tunnel. All 10 flags lit up... and I was a happy boy. My new personal best is 5757 points. I even had a brand-new all-time best lap time. I made a 76-second run around Eiger Nordwand with a time of about 1:16.9?8. I think I made a 1:16.928. Pretty fast car, eh?

I tried some of the other cars in Drift Mode. The Celica Rally Car still does not have as much control as I would like. Funny I say that because you usually expect rally cars to handle tarmac and non-tarmac sections quite well. Unfortunately, the Celica isn't of any good to me. * Never drift with a mid-engine car. The Elise in the game isn't a real good idea for drift mode. You need impressive control of a car better known for handling prowess. * The Miata and the Cappuccino spin out too easily. I spent more time spinning out than nailing drifts. Hell, I hit better drifts in "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2" with a Miata than in this title. * The R32 Skyline in GTHD has some good control, but it is tougher to drift than the Lancer. * I even used the Evolution 4 Lancer. Control was decent, just not as much positive feel as I am with the Lancer Evo 9.

This is a final note. GTHD has three menu songs when you select a car. I almost wanted to cry to the third song because it's so beautiful. I'm perfectly fine with soft music even if people think every racing game has to be "Burnout: Dominator" as far as music. I still think that game is a crime against humanity for not only having Avril Lavinge music, but in different languages. Anyhow, the third menu song for GTHD is soft and beautiful. In the Wal-Mart I was in, some of these kids were playing around this music sampling thing. Playing kiddie songs that just p*ss me off. I'd love to have some of these songs to play over and over again on my PC. They're just menu songs, but they're lovely. Especially the third different menu song.

Quite right about the piano riffs. As someone who plays piano casually I must say I want to learn the piece that comes with the race screen, its certainly my favorite. As for my scores, drifting, my highest ranking was 8,872 in the cappuchino which landed me in 9th place, I got 11,101 in the Evo 9 putting me in 11th place just shy of the leaderboard,

As for the racing, which I am better at, I am ranked 1st in the untuned skyline with a 1,13,445, but it has dropped to 4th, if you are on the Euro version, I will probably be there now, I aim to get a number 1 spot and hold it all week, but since this is only my third week since downloading the game it will probably take another 2 weeks to get a sturdy sub 1,13,000 time. Still I really love the feel of the cars, it is far superior to GT4, which is just as well really.

I forgot to mention that I used the tuned Lancer Evo 9 for my Time Trial run. I'm not really good on drifting... I just do what I can. Still nothing fun than going sideways.

I forgot to mention that I used the tuned Lancer Evo 9 for my Time Trial run. I'm not really good on drifting... I just do what I can. Still nothing fun than going sideways.

The physics feel so much better, they are really fun, and you can now do donuts! It is the fastest lap I aim for, but now and again, I can't help throwing on the N1's and throwing it round the course sideways.

Latest Posts

Back