• 68 comments

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
Gran Turismo 3 Car Reviews Site
by Matej

gt3_w1_640.jpg

If you ever wander what is the best car from various classes, you have come to right place. This thread offers extensive coverage on cars you can find in Gran Turismo 3, placed in various scenarios, against different opponents to deal with, all for one purpose - to win acclaim of mine.

My words of criticism are spread via the following groups of reviews:

Grouping - short and informative coverage of cars from certain class. Includes mini symbols and often sheet with performance measures. Legend goes as follows:

:) - Excellent choice, with no or few insignificant issues
:indiff: - Neither good or bad; pure average
:grumpy: - A bad choice; If possible, choose something else
* It is possible to be on the edge of two symbols
* If all covered cars are of similar performances, verdict shall be much stricter
* Speed is not the most important factor; price, joy and general impression can be crucial as well

Solo Player - comprehensive review of a single car. Includes… nothing special.

Duel - two close rivals battle across fixed categories. Includes Mini statistic with detailed performance measures for perfectionists.

Triathlon - interesting analysis of three in some way related cars, randomly ordered, with experience of the previous one affecting the subsequent. Includes personal order by the author himself.

Special - articles offering unique approach you have never seen before.

Some reviews will omit price as an important valuation factor, some not. Since this may lead to a confusion regarding the overall verdicts, I made a list featuring reviews where price as a valuation factor was present:
Code:
My Precious Starter Car
German Shepherds
The Lonely Kangaroo
An Obvious Oxymoron

All pictures were taken from the website Internet Game Cars Database. This doesn't apply to low-resolution photos captured by my mobile phone.

Post comments and have fun reading!

The Reviews:

Grouping

Solo Player

Duel

Triathlon

Last edited:
My Precious Starter Car
Mode: Simulation Mode
Test Circuit: Laguna Seca
Tires: Normal tires
TCS/ASM: 0/0

thumbnail.php

Car: Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R '97
Price: 11,140 Cr.
Drive train: FF
Power: 64 hp / 7500 rpm
Torque: 73.77 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Aspiration: Turbo
Weight: 700 kg

The cheapest starter car in the group is Daihatsu Mira, the little Kei car distinctive by its tiny turbocharged 0.6 litre engine and small body. Underpowered cars like this one can often be in disadvantageous position on racing circuits with lots of straightaways, which is why installing additional aftermarket turbines will soon become priority in order to reach more challenging events of the career mode. This is what makes progressing with the car rather difficult, in spite of its simple handling characteristics, so don't rush with purchase decisions before you carefully inspect its abilities.
Players who aren’t concerned about these things should give the Mira a chance because hardly any other car can teach you how to rely on corners instead of speed as effectively as Kei cars can.

Verdict: :indiff:

thumbnail.php

Car: Suzuki Alto Works Sports Limited '97
Price: 12,220 Cr.
Drive train: 4WD
Power: 64 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 72.32 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 710 kg

The Mira’s main foe is known as Alto Works, causing some turbulent activities in Kei department. As with the Mira, the general progress is difficult at first, but once enough money is spent, the harder events can be reached. If you’re patient enough, the Alto may become surprisingly fast, given that the four-wheel drive system can transfer power to the ground with ease, regardless of how much you add. And add you can, more so than on the Mira (238 hp against 177 hp).

However, I should point out that in default specs the Alto is seriously inferior to the Mira. The Alto’s engine delivers inadequate power distribution, often resulting in power loss on specific areas if gearbox isn’t replaced or/and manual transmission selected. This has no effects later on when traction becomes more important than anything else, so commence with the purchase only after you have decided how long you want to keep your starter car in action.

Verdict: :)/:indiff:

thumbnail.php

Car: Mazda Demio GL-X '99
Price: 14,660 Cr.
Drivetrain: FF
Power: 98 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 94.02 ft.lb / 4500 rpm
Aspiration: NA
Weight: 960 kg

This is the car that carries the entire legacy of the Gran Turismo series. It is a heavy burden to deal with, but nobody could do it better than the Demio. Does that make it more desirable choice ?
Sadly, but no. The Demio is among the least ready-to-use cars in the group. Although it posses direct steering, the suspension system is not really adjusted for tackling corners in a high-speed manner. That is not unusual though, given the nature of the car.
Apart from additional suspension kits you may as well change the gearbox, promptly if possible. The power of the engine is located near the readline, which is why the first three, quite widely set gears, eat most of the car’s available potential, as can be seen in Bonus Materials below.

The Demio is not a very good material for a starter car, but you still have to admit that you’re glad it is here, don’t you?

thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '85
Price: 13,550 Cr.
Drive train: FR
Power: 128 hp / 6600 rpm
Torque: 109.94 ft.lb / 5200 rpm
Weight: 925 kg

Notwithstanding its accumulated age, the legendary Trueno still remains to be the main contender of various amateur events, successfully pressuring modern hot-hatch machines. Owing to a great effort of Toyota’s engineers, who recently managed to overcome that success, the Trueno keeps its reputation active even today. Simple construction, rear-wheel drive and peppy engine are ingredients you need to merge together in order to get instrument for boundless fun and track domination.

Modesty is another virtue of the Trueno; no other car guarantees such potential for so little money investments. On the downside, I could single out inner wheel-spin of the rear axle when pulling away from a sharp corner with open accelerator, which is why purchase of the LSD should be mandatory right from the beginning. Likewise, amateurs won’t like propensity to rear-end sliding, but that is what driving the Trueno is all about.

Verdict: :)

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Mazda Eunos Roadster '95 / Mazda Eunos Roadster '89
Price: 16,900 Cr. / 17,000 Cr.
Drive train : FR / FR
Power: 128 hp / 6500 rpm / 118 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 115.72 ft.lb / 4500 rpm / 101.26 ft.lb / 5500 rpm
Aspiration: NA / NA
Weight: 980 kg / 940 kg

The success of the MX-5 lineup brought back open air cars back to living and set a new paradigm on which all future sports convertibles should be based. In GT3 its importance was emphasized by four models, two of which you can buy with the initial budget.

The slightly more expensive ’89 model is a pioneer of the lineup, available in perceivable Mariner Blue paint scheme with 1.6 liter engine. The cheaper ’95 model features powerful 1.8 liter engine and slightly heavier body as a result of additional body reinforcement. One may think that both models are identical, but the opposite is true - the latter model is a bit faster and more stable on corner entries, proving itself as a better solution for amateurs. Personally, I would choose the older model because its potential isn’t limited by modern safety regulations, so you experience more rear-end sliding and relaxed behavior, area in which MX-5 models should be dominating examples.

The price of each model is a bit high when comparing with the Trueno, but given that the cornering abilities are more refined, you shouldn’t worry about poverty too much. One of the best virtues of cars like these is the potency to return all your investments in no time.

thumbnail.php

Car: Daihatsu Storia X4 '98
Price: 13,900 Cr.
Drive train: 4WD
Power: 118 hp / 7200 rpm
Torque: 94.02 ft.lb / 4800 rpm
Weight: 840 kg

Don't expect much commotion over the Storia X4; regardless of whether it posses inner strengths or not, lack of knowledge about this manufacturer causes Daihatsu to be rarely taken into consideration around video game circles. Really unfortunate I admit, because the X4, as it was designed and constructed to match regulations of various domestic rally events, owns that sports factor, often desired by drivers, that majority of other compact cars would like to have.

For its class surprisingly light chassis and four-wheel drive system are the main virtues of the car. 5-speed close-ratio gearbox makes the car seem faster than it really is while the handling is very responsive and unbiased. Nothing excited can be initiated, unless you violently transfer available kilos around. Forget about flashy maneuvers though, the X4 is a car that keeps all four paws on the ground all the time. You may notice how at this level of power the advantages of the 4WD badge can't be used, but amateurs won't care as long as they can drive their first ride safely. The X4 is a master in that field.

Its main weakness is the engine itself, or more precisely - its size. Small unit limits the maximum power the car can obtain, which in case of the X4 is around 190. This compromises its utility in later races, so carefully calculate how long you want to keep your starter car.

The X4 may not be the most versatile car in the group, but it will certainly accompany you on your journey across those first few races like Daihatsu usually does – successfully.

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Vitz Euro Edition '00 / Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '00
Price: 12,880 Cr. / 14,530 Cr.
Drive train: FF / FF
Power: 86 hp / 6000 rpm / 108 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 90.41 ft.lb / 4400 rpm / 105.60 ft.lb / 4200 rpm
Aspiration: NA / NA
Weight: 850 kg / 940 kg

Although introduced in 1998, the first generation Vitz remains to be one of the most accepted city cars among female population. Top of the line RS model was introduced in 2000, in order to slightly repress jealousy among male units. It features 1.5 liter engine that delivers wealthy 105 pouches, enough to keep up with the Storia X4.

Further emphasis was placed on the suspension system beneath the body; it is said to be adjusted in favor of steering to provide more enjoyable ride. I have to say that the RS does a good job in that field; it gently leans to one side and grips the road, taking the driver out of a corner using its quite direct steering. I found that smooth and simple style allows for a very decent FF car. Big boys shouldn't complain.

The Euro Edition is a bit lighter and cheaper, but given the lack of power it could never become a reasonable option. More peppy and manageable on corners than the closest rival Demio is the reason why you could choose one over another, but who would really considerate such doubts?

To be honest, the Vitz models aren’t bad at all, but there is no real satisfaction in driving any of them, neither they should be placed high on your priority list given that the notorious Vitz Race event will drain all the nerves of your brain cells by the time you finish it, so there is no need to rush with any of them before it is really necessary. Trust me on that.

Verdict: :indiff: (Euro Edition: :indiff:/:grumpy:)

thumbnail.php

Car: Chrysler PT Cruiser '00
Price: 17,980 Cr.
Power: 149 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 167.07 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1270 kg

Oh, come on! Was that really necessary? How do you expect people to enjoy the excitement of the career undertaking by serving them vehicles like this one? We can tolerate the Demio or the Vitz to a degree, but this is just too much. The PT may be an interesting retro vehicle with decent inner qualities, but in video game genre it can only serve as a guinea pig for mockery and laughter therapy. Nevertheless, sales in Japan were adequate so a homage must be paid, don’t you think?
As in Japan, the PT is very expensive, so be ready to open your wallet as generously as possible; 20$ is all you’re going to be left with after the purchase, which is not even enough for Car Wash, let alone additional upgrades. Don’t worry, you do get an access to the powerful engine that will dominate almost any other car on straights. Although it doesn’t look that way, the PT is among the fastest cars in the group.
Even so, understeer and unresponsive motions on corners are bit challenging for amateurs to deal with, particularly if weight gets rapidly transferred after coming from a high-speed section to a slow corner, which is why the speed itself isn’t enough to justify the purchase of the car.

The PT requires hands that can tolerate expensive price and advanced handling so, if you don’t want to regret afterwards, buy something else. I’m sure you can find more attractive vehicle. Do it.

Verdict: :indiff:/:grumpy:

thumbnail.php

Car: Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 '00
Price: 15,930 Cr.
Power: 115 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 121.51 ft.lb / 2600 rpm
Weight: 1256 kg

Here is another big bug that demands to be squashed as soon as possible. The difference is that the New Beetle is a 'beetle' right from the start, so it has all necessary predispositions to lay beneath my shoes before anything else. Whether the reincarnation of the legendary Beetle proved to be successful or not is something experts and fans should judge, I found bigger problem lying somewhere else.

Every time you find yourself behind the wheel of the New Beetle you fell like you’re losing time. Yes, you could drive the MX-5, the Trueno or, mind this, the PT Cruiser, yet you’ve decided to stick with the New Beetle. Why would you do such thing? The New Beetle provides absolutely nothing that would keep you motivated to drive it around circuits. The PT Cruiser was not rewarding car either, but at least offered some enjoyment as a result of its handling. The New Beetle doesn’t and it seems that the handling isn’t that spectacular either; I found the Vitz RS to be more persisting when the moment comes to escape from usual FF stereotypes.

The low-positioned torque seems to be the most interesting merit of the car given that you can keep the wheel-spin under your control entirely, but that is all. If you’re really that impatient to try out the New Beetle I strongly recommend you to wait for either Cup or RSI edition as those two at least offer some amusement behind their ridiculousness. The base 2.0 Beetle is simply dull and there is no such widely known heritage that can excuse that.

Verdict: :grumpy:

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times, along with real power and weight values taken from the Car Settings screen. You can also check out the aspiration and maximum stats of each car.

Important notes:
* 0-400 and 0-1000 acceleration tests were conducted on stock specs, using TCS set on 3;
* Average lap times were set on Laguna Seca with driving aids disabled;
* Max stats includes maximum available power and the weight after all three Weight Reductions. The power values can vary depending on the location from which the values were taken and whether oiling was performed or not. My values were taken from the GTVault website.
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-400 test. Regarding the 0-1000 test: Notice how the PT Cruiser is almost unstoppable once it pick up some speed. Although almost identical in numbers as the Mira TR-XX, the Alto Works is significantly slower due to rudimentary construction of its engine and related parts.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- Lap time --- HP on Kg --- Aspiration --- Max stats --- Car

17.073 --- 31.195 --- 1'50.0 --- 145 on 1270 ---- N --- 307 on 1079 ---- PT Cruiser
17.295 --- 31.709 --- 1'48.0 --- 126 on 980 ----- N --- 361 on 872 ------ MX-5 '95
17.574 --- 32.258 --- 1'49.0 --- 114 on 940 ----- N --- 340 on 836 ------ MX-5 '89
17.760 --- 32.390 --- 1'49.0 --- 123 on 925 ----- N --- 351 on 823 ------ Trueno '85
17.892 --- 33.356 --- 1'52.0 --- 114 on 840 ----- T --- 196 on 747 ------ Storia X4
18.068 --- 33.465 --- 1'53.0 --- 105 on 940 ----- N --- 294 on 836 ------ Vitz RS 1.5
18.258 --- 33.481 --- 1'55.0 --- 109 on 1256 ---- N --- 311 on 1067 ---- Beetle 2.0
18.783 --- 34.927 --- 1'56.0 ---- 84 on 850 ------ N --- 234 on 756 ----- Vitz Euro
19.039 --- 34.995 --- 1'55.0 ---- 95 on 960 ------ N --- 272 on 854 ----- Demio GL-X
19.830 --- 36.957 --- 2'00.0 ---- 61 on 700 ------ T --- 177 on 623 ----- Mira TR-XX
20.815 --- 38.857 --- 2'01.0 ---- 61 on 710 ------ T --- 238 on 631 ----- Alto Works

Last edited:
That's really a good topic, this!

Maybe I will review some of the Race Cars, cuz' I have a variety of them in my GT3 Garage.

I'll review a car which helped a lot for me:
157_tommi1.jpg

Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M.E. (stripe,J)
Cr. 32,780

Garage spec:
302BHP/6500rpm
40.2kgf.m/3000rpm
1360kg
4WD
2.0 L4 DOHC Turbo
4.503 Power / Weight
0.337 Torque / Weight

Tuned spec:
573BHP/6600rpm
70.7kgf.m/4600rpm
1156kg
4WD
2.0 L4 DOHC Turbo
2.017 Power / Weight
0.163 Torque / Weight

I'm not sure why I bought this car, but I'm glad I did. It is perfect in many areas. It can be used (when tuned) for 4WD Challenge, Evolution Meeting, Race of Turbo Sports Models and the whole rally league just to name a few. It takes a bit of practice and a good setup to get it to handle well but once you master it, it will pay off. It can even keep up with Le Mans cars in straights. This is without a doubt one of my favourite cars in GT3. For a little over 30 grand, you get a great car and not to mention one of the best bodykits in the game.

Too biased?

Last edited:
Nice idea! Here's my first contribution:

Polyphony002

002.jpg

Price: N/A (can be sold for 300.000cr)
Drivetrain: MR
Power: 785HP @12000rpm
Torque: To be updated
Weight: To be updated

The Polyphony002, known as F688/S in NTSC regions, is one of two (six in NTSC) Formula One style cars obtainable in GT3. The Polyphony002, along with the other Formula cars, make the top of performance and grip available in the game. As indicated by the NTSC name, it is loosely based on the 6-cylinder McLaren MP4/4 F1 car of 1988, that took Ayrton Senna to his first driver's championship, and McLaren to their 4th constructors title. The car is the only turbopowered Formula car in PAL versions of the game, and provides a very quick acceleration and a great top speed, over 350km/h with low drag. As any other Formula car, it takes advantage of advanced aerodynamics, which provides a great stability in high and low speed corners, even greater than that of the Polyphony001. The car may not be as modern nor as quick as the Formula Gran Turismo, but considering you can possibly win this car within the first few days of playing, by winning the Roadster Endurance in a Miata, it is definitely a car worth having in your garage, even if just for the sake of collecting it: you won't regret it!

Pros: Great acceleration and top speed, phenomenal grip levels, sweet engine note.

Cons: Only one tire type available.

Can be won in:
Any Endurance League race (Passage to Colosseo and Roadster Endurance in NTSC versions)
Formula GT

Verdict: :)👍

Supercar Festival
Test Circuit: Tokyo Route 246 II
Tires: Sports Tires (T1)

Okay, it isn't really a festival, rather small overview of three cool cars you can drive in this game. We are going to find out which one is most desirable.

Day I
2pyqm94.jpg

Jaguar XJ220 Road Car '92
(MR, 501hp, 1375kg)

This beautiful feline is not that far from its relative XJ220 Race Car. It purrs with less strength (-40 ponies), doesn't have a moving tail (non-adjustable downforce), weighs a bit more (+55 kg), and has one joint less (5-speed gearbox only). When it comes to driving pleasure though, it excels the Race Car easily.

It feels just like a race car, I was surprised to see how much grip it offered while lying on Sports tires only. Soon it occurred to me that downforce and stability produced by the body were responsible for creating this nice feeling. Moreover, the XJ220 is not prone to lift-off oversteer or floor-it understeer like usual MR cars (or its relative Race Car). To the contrary, if you try to sway the back end prior a corner, the front axle will prohibit the motion by sliding off if the entry speed has been excessive.

You may have better chances if braking harshly after a high speed section, but the rear end still never goes too far into sliding process, the front axle is always there to stop it by skidding. The result of this is often a body roll. To prove how the front end plays important role on this car, keep checking its front tires during tire wear races - they tend to wear quicker than the rear ones.

The key to be fast is to keep the front axle from losing grip. That way you can give more initiative to the rear end. Maybe some camber or toe on the front could solve the issue if you don't want to adapt your driving style.

I could also wish for more precise steering, that is one element the XJ220 does share with traditional MR cars. Also, though the V6 turbo engine has quite good torque distribution, the power aims for high revs. Hence why I conclude the 5-speed box on this turbocharged car won't deliver full potential of the engine.

Anyway... did I like the car? Yes, I did. It feels good to drive an MR car that somehow stands away from typical MR handling issues, yet if offers what they are known for. The body roll and front end skidding we mentioned can be avoided by driving a bit differently (it took me around 4 laps to figure out how to do it), plus you get nice set of colours to choose from and timeless body lines. It is an expensive machine, but worth the money. More so given that the Race Car is very hard to obtain.

Day II
r91wtd.jpg

RUF CTR2 '96
(4WD, 499hp, 1380kg)

Guess what, the CTR2 proved to be the slowest supercar of the three. No worries, that is only natural considering the car has all-wheel drive system, limiting its cornering speed. The Tokyo track demonstrated this nicely, you have to tackle those high-speed sweepers with more caution and with sooner steering inputs, otherwise scrubbing against walls will be common.

Basically, understeer is the main problem on this car. It affects front tire wear significantly and as we spoken, general cornering speed. Despite being a rear-engine car, it won't oversteer as much as you would like. That is because the car is powered by a boxer engine, which naturally tends to stay close to the ground, improving rear-end stability.

Nevertheless, if you want to slide the rear end, do it by braking and turning simultaneously. You will have to take into consideration that the car will start to understeer as soon as you open the throttle, but better anything than nothing at all.

Good news - body roll is minor, so dealing with its handling traits shouldn't become tedious. Acceleration and top speed are all satisfying, and so is steering. As a matter of fact, once you learn to deal with understeer, very few things will stop you from having fun with this car.

Day III
155sbr4.jpg

Dodge Viper GTSR Concept '00
(FR, 498hp, 1475kg)

This machine is nothing but a road-going edition of the GTS-R racing car. It has less power and significantly more weight due to all the interior additions, but retains racing-like level of performance. Grip level is simply outstanding. Being a RWD car, it is also nicely balanced, with very little signs of oversteer or understeer. Heavy it may be, but the engineers worked on this car a lot, it seems. Even though it is just a concept car.

Surprisingly, much like the XJ220, the front end skids away if you try to challenge a corner entry with slightly higher speed. The motion is not as strong as on the XJ220 (this is obviously more sophisticated car), but it is there. Once you fix this problem, it will fly.

Lap times between the XJ220 and GTSR are going to be very close at first. Once you get a hang of GTSR's handling model (it happens quickly), times will separate and the Mopar machine will take the lead by second or more per each lap.

This is a good car, but just like the Oreca racing version, too good, too flawless. I don't like that, I need challenge!

Final Standings
RUF CTR2 '96
Jaguar XJ220 Road Car '92
Dodge Viper GTSR Concept '00​

Conclusion

It was a tough battle. Both the XJ220 and CTR2 proved to be worthy of my time and top spot on this mini grid of mine, so I kept thinking how to solve this situation. I decided to reward the CTR2 with the first spot because it is slower, and will have more disadvantages on longer races. That naturally means more challenge for you. But if you don't care about these details, consider the XJ220 the winner as it really drives beautifully. Plus, it gives you clue where to start with improvements right away, the CTR2 is not that generous.

The GTSR was not a bad car, it was just too good to be good. Does that make any sense? While I'm sure many of you will find this car fun for its overkill abilities, but on my part it offers very little options to people seeking challenge.

Last edited:
Stars And Strips
Test Circuit: Seattle Circuit
TCS/ASM: 0/0​

thumbnail.php

Car: Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
Price: 31,150 Cr.
Drivetrain: FR
Power: 384 hp / 6250 rpm
Torque: 384.79 ft.lb / 4250 rpm
Weight: 1628 kg

Outstanding body kit and single color accent the newest SVT Cobra model, the R. By consulting various sources on the internet, it appears that lot of effort was used to make the R happen. Even car's introduction in the dealership emphasize important figures of the car, strengthening our assumptions that we get to drive one really unique driving machine.

Surprisingly, all those virtues melt instantly once you head out to the track. The SVT acts with hostility in mind, just like any similar muscle car burdened with bunch of kilos and ponies on the back. Careful weight transition is necessary to avoid pronounced amounts of oversteer, usually very common addition on the car. Body roll won't be useful either, especially if combined with oversteer on difficult courses like Seattle circuit. There is no doubt that the SVT requires pampering and decent amount of patience in order to make any progress in lap times.

Of course, if you enjoy playing with quirks of rudiment cars and seeking ways of executing partially torque-steer drifts, then that 'hostility' won't be bothersome; after a while, I actually found the SVT to be very amusing car, close to what you could get by playing around with old-school muscle cars.

Having that said, if you're not into rustic cars, stick with Camaros.

thumbnail.php

Car: Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '97
Price: 22,830 Cr.
Power: 285 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 324.75 ft.lb / 2400 rpm
Weight: 1561 kg

No Gran Turismo would be the same without Camaro. The Camaro Z28 is our familiar Chevrolet you saw back in older GT games, and it's now available again, trying to win hearts of nostalgic drivers with its affordable price, beautiful color choices and interesting visuals.

Unlike the SVT, which looks and behaves aggressively, the Z28 is much more composed, with cold appearance and latent performance. Handling pattern is simple (better?) and more suitable for amateur drivers. In spite of its soft suspension and leaning, amount of body roll never exceeds one's expectation. Oversteer has also been reduced (not too much, lift-off oversteer is still around upon entering a corner) to comfortable level, reducing risk of going out of the course.

However, is that really what we need? Even after thoughtfully considering everything we have said, I have to admit that the Z28 is a rather sleepy car, where thrill of the drive is pushed a bit towards background. I would rather play around while good times are coming along progressively. Of course, driving preferences will decide which path you should take. What I can say for certain is that the Z28 is not very fast car, hence why speed factor should be searched in redesigned SS model.

thumbnail.php

Car: Chevrolet Camaro SS '00
Price: 29,530 Cr.
Power: 325 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 258.21 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1560 kg

Here it is, the redesigned Camaro SS. You might bypass it while cruising across dealership's offer, so pay attention to it - it is the one with higher price, more power and different headlights. I wouldn't blame you for missing it though, this model is not as distinct as the previous one.

Why? Beats me.

Anyway, the SS will prove useful once you hit the track. Required power is now here, so it can dice with the SVT. Maneuvers have also became sharper and leaning isn't really noticeable anymore. Lift-off oversteer has been further reduced, so head over there and persuade those amateurs complaining denying my previous claim for the Z28 to shut up, this is now a perfect choice for amateurs wishing to experience thrill of the American auto-industry.

You can allow them to complain about the entertainment, though. The SS does add some peppiness which was missing on the Z28, but this affects primarily engine and the speed it picks up. In handling box, stable and responsive paradigm set for grip driving and lap hunting won't be as fun. There is no doubt that the SS is one step ahead in terms of general quality, but its orientation towards serious driving won't cheer players used to the Z28.

Basically, if you want to play on corners using oversteer as your wing-man, I would recommend upgrading Z28 with engine response parts, while the SS should be used for time attack challenges.

Oh, and...mind this. The car's dealer sheet claims around 258 ft.lb of torque, but we all know true value resides around 350. Luckily, this doesn't affect its potential on the acceleration tests, so I believe this is just another writing bug made by Polyphony that won't affect abilities of the car.

thumbnail.php

Car: Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport '96
Price: 40,010 Cr.
Power: 330 hp / 5800 rpm
Torque: 339.94 ft.lb / 4500 rpm
Weight: 1496 kg

The Corvette Grand Sport (infra: Corvette) concluded production of the C4 generation in 1996. Already attractive body was decorated with special paint combinations, greatly increasing my eagerness to take it out for a spin before twilight completely occupies our track.

Unfortunately, the Corvette displays big tendency to understeer every time it doesn't do anything else. Very uncomfortable level of such handling pattern is inferior even to understeer found on the Camaro duo, which was being almost perfectly repressed, by the way. It is faster, endowed with better exhaust sound, almost outstanding visuals, but in joy department is quite disappointing.

Should I say anything else? Probably, but the problem is that I don't have anything else to say.

Hopefully, the Z06 will be much better. There you go, I said it.

thumbnail.php

Car: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '00
Price: 54,000 Cr.
Power: 379 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 358.02 ft.lb / 4800 rpm
Weight: 1409 kg

Guess what, it is better. Not in a way I would want, but it is acceptable. Huh, that was close, I almost sold all of my Corvettes...

The Z06 naturally borrows understeer from the Grand Sport, although it is more efficient in bringing oversteer to trim that understeer. This could finally allow you to play around within few boundaries that its refined handling has set. The chassis is actually well prepared to meet expectations of both racing and street drivers, yet the car often tends to listen only racing oriented driving style, which is why initiating slide before corner entries if often unusual or even tasteless. I'm happy the Z06 tries to satisfy both groups of drivers, but it is clearly that its effectiveness of doing so leans more towards the serious one. That is what 'better' really means.

The gearbox features uncoordinated arrangement of gears, so think about upgrading it with Close 'box.

thumbnail.php

Car: Dodge Viper GTS '98
Price: 78,680 Cr.
Power: 449 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 489.66 ft.lb / 3700 rpm
Weight: 1531 kg

People love Viper GTS, and there is absolutely nothing on this filthy world that could dispute this fact. Speed and power of this car outclass everything else that could stand in way of its big engine. In handling department though, different conclusions can be brought.

Negotiating corners using basic oversteer technics is very difficult on this car. I would even say it posses the least amount of tail-happiness among other tested cars in the class. Beware, we are not talking about traditional understeer, but rather general tendency to subject all activities to will of the front end. This 'will' is often predictable, so it eventually becomes fun to brake early and find ways to pull the car out of corners as fast as possible. I spent nearly four laps calculating how to enter this or that corner, which eventually entertained me as efficiently as the SVT.

Clearly, both SVT and GTS have flaws, but if you can tolerate them, they will deliver good portion of happiness for you to enjoy it.

Ah, speaking of the flaws... The GTS owns poor brakes, so try to brake on time. Generally, you have to be really cautious on corners, more so than with other cars of the class, consistency between laps is not something this car delivers without requesting something in return. More agility on the rear axle would be very useful when pulling away from sharp corners, so try to invoke it somehow. Maybe that could allow it to run away from the Z06 in terms of lap times.

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times along with real power and weight values taken from the Car Settings screen.

Important notes:
* 0-400 and 0-1000 acceleration tests were conducted using TCS set on 3;
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-400 test.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- HP on Kg --- Car

12.626 --- 22.934 --- 436 on 1531 --- Viper GTS
13.180 --- 23.765 --- 367 on 1409 --- Corvette Z06
13.569 --- 24.608 --- 321 on 1496 --- Corvette Grand Sport
13.633 --- 24.543 --- 355 on 1628 --- Mustang SVT Cobra R
13.844 --- 25.208 --- 316 on 1560 --- Camaro SS
14.017 --- 25.645 --- 276 on 1561 --- Camaro Z28

Last edited:
Hours Of Le Mans - Veterans
Mode: Arcade Mode
Test Circuit: Various
Tires: Default arcade tires

The exciting world of Le Mans competition starts with lower GT class. Based on road going models, they tend to offer what owners of their civilian models would always want. It is time to see which is the best.

Day I
16axsug.jpg

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 '98
(FR, 570hp, 1150kg)

The end of the last millennium proved to be successful period for Panoz and their sponsor Visteon. Their unusually designed Esperante GTR-1 claimed several respectable results in various motorsport disciplines, leaving other competitors in smoke, surprised. We do have to admit that it doesn’t look particularly charming, but that minus won’t hurt our equation if we still get the result we expected, don’t you agree?

The GTR-1 is characterized by poor maneuverability and moderate amount of understeer. These traits usually appear on corner entries, producing wide turning circle on the way out. Among the limited number of cornering lines that such handling prescribes, the driver can choose only one, without hesitation if possible, because any signs of indecision lead to time loss. Such lack of freedom, usually expected in this class, may greatly repulse drivers from this machine even though it doesn’t deserve such treatment. You see, a decent amount of patience and level of technique required for a car to be operated successfully is what can make the car very attractive to specific group of people who often want something more challenging. So, where do you belong?

Although not willing to play around while competing, the GTR-1 does offer some virtues. It can be slightly throttlesteered at high speed, so learn to brake early and spend as much time accelerating as possible. The general stability (mostly induced by the understeer) also adds more courage to the drivers operating them, particularly on corner exits. Even so, for some reason I believe the other two cars won’t have much trouble defeating those virtues. Or maybe not? We’ll see tomorrow.

Day II
k5ijb.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette C5R '00
(FR, 592hp, 1139kg)

Even though Corvette models exist for over 60 years, true racing accomplishments weren’t recognized until the fifth generation, dubbed as C5, was launched in 1997. This model not only improved all aspects of the previous generation, but it also served as a template for the C5R, a race car that successfully competed on motorsport scene along with the GTS-R, 911 GT3 and other famous models. Our model (#64) participated at 2000 24 Hours of Le Mans, finishing 3rd in its class and 10th overall.

In general, the C5R follows the guidelines proposed by the GTR-1. The rear end continuously remains to be stable, allowing understeer to sauce all of your corner entries. However, the C5R maneuvers around corners more easily, so you can step on the acceleration pedal much sooner when pulling away from a corner. At higher speeds the front axle can withstand more pressure from lateral forces when they act roughly, so the car’s front axle won’t skid as much. These two factors make the C5R more accessible to drivers, but unfortunately, because the understeer is now more perceptible the initial pleasure of driving is lowered as you can’t effectively use that initial swiftness the car seems to have. The GTR-1 at least had one model on which you should get accustomized, while the C5R is somewhere in the middle, struggling to satisfy two different models. Well, we can’t work that way.

There is no doubt that the long-lasting effort of the Corvette’s engineers was finally paid off with the C5R, but as far as the experience in the game is concerned, the overall impression is not that good since the understeer gets in the way of what should have been a fun experience.

Day III
2zdrw3r.jpg

Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00
(FR, 570hp, 1150kg)

In 1996, the famous French racing team Oreca took responsibility for preparing and maintaining the Viper GTS-R, a machine that would eventually conquered various motorsport events all around the world. My own copy of the game features #91 Dodge Viper GTS-R, which claimed overall victory in GTS class at 2000 American Le Mans Series.

The GTS-R eliminates the main problem of the GTR-1 and C5R – understeer. The front axle doesn’t dictate the pace of the car as on the two, so it actually becomes possible to break traction of the rear tires while braking and engage in casual activity of sliding around in careless manner. Such driving style doesn’t have to be unproductive; in many scenarios competitive laps were set even when driving leisurely whereas the other two would have to be driven seriously just in order to keep up with the GTS-R. Even though it seems the GTS-R should be equally potent as the C5R, overall lap times suggest something entirely different. The GTS-R also owns better traction when pulling away from sharp corners.

The only problem I found on the GTS-R was related to its aerodynamics. At higher speeds, the car often wanders around and may grab the road more than you would like, so it gets difficult to precisely steer with the car. The C5R offers more mechanical output in that field, but that is the only place where the GTS-R is vulnerable.

Final Standings
Panoz Esperante GTR-1 '98
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00
Chevrolet Corvette C5R '00​

Conclusion

I admit, the GTS-R is a fun toy for playing around while overcoming your opponents, but personally, I prefer when a car sets some obstacles required to be overcomed in order to achieve the same result. The GTR-1 is a good example. It can be very fast, but that speed won’t come along if you don’t try hard enough. In return, the satisfaction after you successfully complete a race in the Pro league against the R390 GT1 or 787B is priceless. The GTS-R nullifies most of your mistakes, so it can’t offer such experience. At the end, we have the C5R at the last place. It should have been a great alternative to the GTS-R, but with too much usual habits that can’t be the case. The engine also doesn’t sound as well as it should. Pih, so much about the V8…

Last edited:
I was just wandering, is anybody reading any of these reviews ? I'm doing this for a while now, and I haven't received any constructive critics so far.

Any comments are appreciated. More vehicles are on their way. :)

I just read through the whole thing.
Awesome job!

Very professional reviews, can't wait for some more. 👍

I just read through the whole thing.
Awesome job!

Very professional reviews, can't wait for some more. 👍
Thanks, I'm glad you like it :). I have two more reviews waiting for grammar inspection; it's a matter of time when I will publish them.

tankuroded
It is Visteon, not Viston. :rolleyes:
Fixed, thanks.

I think the reviews are great! I don't require any cars I have the best f1, but these'd have been great when i was going through the game.

Could you do an overall great car review, as in, you have all the fast cars and just collect them now. Best cars to drive/look at/etc.

I hope there's a massive 276hp JDM fest in the works.
And a JGTC one as well.

And maybe a street rally cars, ST205, STi, Lancer, Evo Delta etc...

I think the reviews are great! I don't require any cars I have the best f1, but these'd have been great when i was going through the game.

Could you do an overall great car review, as in, you have all the fast cars and just collect them now. Best cars to drive/look at/etc.

I hope there's a massive 276hp JDM fest in the works.
And a JGTC one as well.

And maybe a street rally cars, ST205, STi, Lancer, Evo Delta etc...
Already on schedule! In fact, major cars have been already divided into groups although there are some examples which will be part of standalone reviews. However, the biggest problem for now is car collecting since some of them can be awarded only trough very long and painful events. Not to mention money grinding, since I wasted almost all allowance on LM cars. At least it's fun to run through GT3 again after such a long time.

This might take a while :D...

Once I finish pretty much all of cars I will award specific title to each model (Best ride, Worst Engine, etc.). I'm just glad that those reviews can be of use to anyone in any way :).

Sly Cooper
Test Circuit: Various
Tires: Simulation (T0) & Normal tires

2060cpt.jpg

Car: Mini Cooper 1.3i '99
Price: Prize Car
Power: 61 hp / 5700 rpm
Torque: 69.43 ft.lb / 3900 rpm
Weight: 720 kg​

The story about Mini’s origins is intriguing and complicated one; BMC, Austin, Sir Alec Issigonis, Rover… lots of brands and names that appear are just small part of something complex that was prone to changes over time, so I’m quite sure that even hardcore apostles of this automotive icon would occasionally lost themselves in this confusion.

Besides, I like to depict the Mini as a symbol of Britain automotive industry or if you will, the symbol of Great Britain. Therefore, unless you can operate with major facts or incorporate some of their viewpoints and culture, writing about the Mini’s origins is an adventure you shouldn’t head on. As I'm one of those personals, only basics of the Mini’s significance are going to be covered here before we move on to the experience provided in the game. For all those who want more, the internet is a great source of information.

The reason why the Mini received so much popularity and acclaim is more or less the same as on the VW Beetle, Fiat 500 or Renault 4, just to name few. They all incorporated some sort of technical innovation at the time of their debut and more importantly, they did it when it was the most required. Today you can still see some interesting vehicles coming out from factories, but majority of people would say things like ‘it should have been introduced earlier’ or 'we are not ready for this'. Well, there was no need for 'earlier' or 'later' in case of the Mini – it came at the right time to benefit to everyone. It was built to make a good use of the space inside; around 80 percent of the car’s floor-pan was secured for passengers and luggage. This was ensured by placing the engine and the gearbox transversely, one on top of another.
Another important note can be written about the suspension system. The Mini used rubber cones (probably not the one you can hit in everyday traffic management situations) instead of conventional springs to further save space inside the car. I’m not familiar with their modus operandi, but it is said that the Mini thanks to them owns very responsive handling, so I’m actually glad they are present.

Such smart construction inspired many manufacturers to build their own ideas of the Mini. Japan went the farthest; their popular Kei class as we know it today was established exactly on the Mini's model of a small city car. Many recent models continue to pay tribute to it by being available in special trim level that usually adopts many retro elements found on the Mini. Given that the Mini enjoyed quite big popularity in Japan, there is nothing unusual here. I just hope you don’t think that allowing the Mini to enter the Lightweight Kei event in GT3 is a pure coincidence. Can be hard to understand, but the arguments we have presented are on the Mini's side. More lines can be drawn between those three, but we’ll get to that later.

awvl10.jpg

Surf Blue Mini running at Complex String

The Mini fought well against other small and compact cars of that time, but it also proved itself against the clock. General outlines of the original Mini have barely changed over the years, but they still look very appealing. Of course, given the size of usual city cars these days, the Mini certainly doesn't belong to modern streets anymore as the fragile construction policy is no longer allowed on the market. However, the fact that it matches traditional city conditions better than many modern city cars of this class is the fact that should never be forgotten. In order to accommodate to trends, in 2001 the Mini was replaced by new-age MINI (yes, those Caps-Lockers owned by BMW). By then, around 5 million units had been manufactured and seven generations launched.

The last generation, known as the Mk VII, is the one that appears in GT3. This model appears under Cooper brand that features close-ratio gearbox, enhanced engine and suspension system. It can be recognized by white roof and strips over the front bonnet. Together with the even tougher Cooper S variant, it conquered plenty of motorsport events, including Monte Carlo Rally which title claimed three times in a row. The Cooper edition is probably more famous than the base Mini itself due its orientation towards sports-orientated drivers.

Surprisingly, this infatuation towards Minis didn’t begin with GT3 as we already had a chance to drive them in the previous installment, legendary GT2. Three models were available along with the ability to participate in one-make event dedicated entirely to Mini models. Driving around in a Mini at randomly selected track was a very fun activity back then and even today it can give you some close cup-fashion combat against AI automatons. If you think about it carefully, that is exactly the same concept people are trying to achieve in online departments of the latest Gran Turismo games. The only difference is that back then you couldn’t hear annoying jabbering about car not getting premium treatment, online lag issues or reversed suspension system. In GT2 everything was simple and flawless, contributing to the overall joy greatly. Good times, no?

In GT3 there is only one available model without one-make events to participate in, but even that is more acceptable than the situation found in, let's say, GT4 where for some reason the Mini was written-off. The Cooper 1.3i can be awarded by completing the Lightweight Kei event located in Beginner League. Most of us got their first example at that specific event although one can be acquired by running the European Championship of the Amateur League. You'll have to deal with troublesome lottery system to get the car, but because there are several colors you can win, it is worth the trouble. After all, in the Kei event the Mini and thus the color, can be awarded only once. Those impatient to wait for the right color to appear should visit the Arcade Mode. The Cooper is there available ab initio with all of the colors, so you can hopefully find some inspiration to run the mentioned championship.

1zoyv0o.jpg
2a8hov8.jpg

Left: Sweet power distribution of the Cooper 1.3i. Right: Minis competing at Tahiti Road in GT2. Ah, memories...

Once you get behind the wheel of one of the slowest cars in the game you will find out how delightful can be to set up the throttle function on the right joystick. Since it takes time to get from one corner to another, diligent button pushing is required for people accelerating using buttons. Some people may have health issues regarding the thumb, so using the right joystick is a good way of ensuring that you're using maximum potential of the car's engine without jeopardizing your fingers.

Once the joystick has been set and the thumb bandaged (some people learn the hard way), another problem should catch your attention - the Mini can hardly achieve lap times set by the Alto Works or the Mira TR-XX. The difference will usually vary around second or two. In other words, one of the slowest cars in the game is the slowest one. Of course, the engine is to blame. Albeit as twice as large as the ones beneath the two rivals, the naturally aspirated 1.3 liter unit delivers only 61 ponies. Lack of torque doesn’t help either; I’m sure few more units would help on uphill sections where the Mini struggles to keep up with the two.
Interesting, the four-speed gearbox may seem a bit outdated, but as the power is evenly distributed across the revs (see picture above), you don’t have to worry about shifting; many will notice how it works well even when you install the most productive power upgrades. Surprisingly, but yes, the stock gearbox of the Mini is a quality unit. Of course, the synergy between the gearbox and the engine isn’t as good as on the Mira TR-XX, but it is better than on the Alto Works. If you don’t like it you can always replace it with the Full Custom. Box and get additional two gears, but what for? This way you keep the originality of the car and your wallet loaded.

The Mini can also be upgraded with two stages of aftermarket turbo kits. Unfortunately, the maximum obtainable power is below the margin you would expect, considering the size of the engine. Delivering 179 units from the 1.3 liter engine is overly generous, especially because the Mira can achieve the same result by using only half of the Mini’s engine size. The result is even more embarrassing if we consider that the Alto can deliver 239 ponies by using the privilege of installing additional, third stage of the turbo upgrade. I would say that Polyphony accidentally addressed this ability to the wrong car, whereas it should have been Mini’s. A bit unfortunate, but as long as all three cars are upgraded to produce 180 problems to their front axles, the Mini should be a nice competitor for the two.

The Mini tried to apologize for the Polyphony's baloney by offering something the two don't have - the Displacement Up option and the first stage of NA upgrade. Hm, upgrades not really worth forgiveness, but those things could be useful if you want to build a replica of the rally machine that competed on the Monte Carlo Rally several decades ago.

In order to notice some changes in the handling department, I equipped my Mini with the Simulation (T0) tires. Because the car is so slow, you can’t actually do something wrong even if you have poor driving skills. However, caution is necessary if braking and steering at the same time, which produces uncomfortable understeer, typical for a car with such skinny tires. If throttle is slammed on sharp corners you can feel how the car pushes inwards a bit, which is something I don’t recall on the Mira. Sweet, but not really useful. Actually, at this level of power nothing is more useful than the accelerator squeezing and paying attention to your steering and braking timing.

2rze5fp.jpg

Two Minis battling for the corner. Bring the first-aid kit, this is going to be a bloody encounter.

POWER UP!

Further potential can be perceived by upgrading the Mini with the most productive parts and weight reductions. Once you’re done, your Mini will deliver 179 ponies on 640 kilos. Still below what the Mira can provide, but given the heritage the car has, I doubt this would be a problem. At this point you should also replace the Simulation tires with Normal (default) ones to make a good use of that power.

I noticed how on corners, the Mira's torque on acceleration (you and your Mira again!) warns me that it will rip the entire car apart if I won't be careful enough. The chassis certainly struggles when the maximum punch is applied, but it also allows the Mira to be driven at limits comfortably. What seems to be a wider line is actually not allowing the car to go inwards or outwards, allowing you to fallow designated path. Struggling? Yes, but it does the job. Of course, that means that you have to keep the car steady before each corner unless you want to understeer all over the place.

The reason why I mentioned the Mira is to give you an idea how different the Mini is - it posses better turn-in and there are no signs that the front axle is in pain. Occasionally, when you would enter into four-wheel slide, the front axle would retain the grip longer than average car of this class, often resulting in the rear end to come out few fractions of milliseconds sooner. This also brings an advantage when pulling handbrake in medium and high speed corners, but as with all exhibitions, you shouldn't overdo it.

Anyway, the Mini owns more grip on the front. This could have something to do with the wider front track because the shorter wheelbase is probably not going in favor to grip level. Still, even though it is good, it isn't perfect.

The trouble occurs on both corner exits and entries. Under conditions I explained in default section, understeer still appears on entries, now even more ferocious if you don't respect the abilities of the front tires. While pulling away from a corner the same nuisance occurs, often supported by inner wheelspin. Sometimes you wonder what happened to the sharpness the car recently had. I also have to add that the car was equipped with the 1.5 Way LSD during the test. Even so, it was fun to wait for the car to stabilize and then pull inwards with the throttle. This was available on default level and it is now, even more enjoyable with all that power. Lap times unfortunately are not going to overmatch those of the Mira's, but if you're good enough they should be close enough.

Some of you may be wondering is there a place for the Mini in the game? The supporters would instantly say yes, which is not unusual given that the car has cult appearance in the real life. Just look around how many people want it as a part of the latest GT Premium treatment. There is no doubt the Mini will remain to be one of the most popular cars in the series.

In GT3 things are different. I tried to compete in the FF Pro event on Sports tires and ended fourth, barely. Honestly, there are not many races this car can won. Two endurance events and FF events pack is the farthest point the car will reach. If you need more, call a friend of yours and arrange one-make battle at the track of your/her/his choice. The Mini is a car that needs to be driven, so do whatever it needs to be done to extend its utility. In the worst case, start GT2 disc and enter the Mini one-make event. I'm sure you will find that move very delightful.

To conclude, the Mini is a welcome addition to any racing game, not just Gran Turismo. The fact that you can drive it in Gran Turismo means that you can personalize it the way you like it and experience what real-life owners of this icon do for several decades now - taste of vintage racing from period when cars had soul and personality to entertain the crowd.

20adqon.jpg

Last edited:
W.R.C.
Test Circuit: Special Stage Route 5 Wet
Tires: Racing Medium (T5) tires

Springs: 6.0-6.0
Ride Height: 140-140
D. Bound: 4-4
D. Rebound: 6-6
Camber: 2.0-1.0
Toe: 0-0
Anti-roll: 3-3
Brakes: 9-9
LSD Initial: 10-10
LSD Accel.: 20-30
LSD Decel.: 10-20
Gearbox: Auto-set to 26
Downforce: Max.
VCD: 35%

* Note: Some cars have different approach to tuning LSD (Evo VI) or don't provide adjustable rear values (Xsara). The VCD is not adjustable on the Xsara.

thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Celica Rally Car '95
Drivetrain: 4WD
Power: 295 hp / 5700 rpm
Torque: 368.87 ft.lb / 3750 rpm
Weight: 1200 kg

These Group A rules allow slowpokes like Celica to become reasonably competitive against top models of the turbocharged AWD class. Sadly, inferiority is still present, especially if we focus on driving itself. Steering is a bit dull, and the car is prone to wider cornering lines. Trying to get around corners in a wild manner unleashes nothing but sleepiness on the Celica's side. This car is not trying to be imposing, something I can't greet given how the same problem has been present on the road-going model as well.

Modest dose of sensation can be injected by letting off the throttle pedal at the right time, or occasionally allowing the car to pull inwards if the throttle is applied properly in mid-corner sections. Still, we're talking about something that never becomes anything close to "exciting" or even "useful".

If you really admire Toyota's presence on the rally scene or love the famous Castrol livery, rather keep an eye on the Corolla.

thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Corolla Rally Car '99
Price: 300,000 Cr.
Power: 298 hp / 5700 rpm
Torque: 376.11 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1230 kg

It is a crying shame that Toyota never built a road-going version of the WRC Corolla, it would have been so awesome. I'm also sure it would overshadow many models of Celica's valuable platoon we get to drive in GT since the birth of the series. Ah, it doesn't matter anyway, the Corolla can still do what it needs to be done - replace the Group A Celica.

The average lap times may be the same, but the fashion in which the Corolla can set such times is overly more delightful. Response on turn-ins is much better and decent oversteer can be initiated by lifting the foot off the acceleration pedal (if conditions are adequate). I didn't experience throttlesteer while running away from two slow-paced corners, neither moderate tendency to power-oversteer found on the Celica (which significantly increased my willingness to drive the Celica a bit longer), but everything what we just mentioned is strong enough to give the Corolla required attention.

No doubt, this is a decent way to end Toyota's participation in WRC.

thumbnail.php

Car: Lancia Delta HF Integrale Rally Car '92
Price: 500,000 Cr.
Power: 295 hp / 7000 rpm
Torque: 314.63 ft.lb / 4500 rpm
Weight: 1120 kg

Notwithstanding its outdated construction, the Delta can still keep modern rally siblings on their toes. There is nothing in its speed or agility that would make it even slightly inferior to other cars in the class. Once you go all-out, it will grip the road with amazing diligence and strength, something other cars in the class could only wish for.

On a downside, it can be a bit straightforward as a rally car; initiating oversteer was never easy on a Delta, neither it is on this model. If you manage do catch it off guard, you'll have to learn to deal with burst of understeer when levelling the car by opening the throttle. Still, respect its nature and you'll be awarded - this grandpa can still do some tricks. And treats, obviously.

thumbnail.php

Car: Ford Focus Rally Car '98
Price: 350,000 Cr.
Power: 299 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 383.34 ft.lb / 4000 rpm

The Focus was a trump card Ford kept up their sleeves to ensure domination on the rally scene. It may not be as charismatic as the legendary Escort (which it succeeded), but hey - results speak for themselves, just look at the result Focus has achieved over the years.

The Focus may not captivate you at first sight, but good cars never do, actually. And there are good things about this car, all hidden beneath the body. For instance, I just love how ride height of the Focus can be increased up to 250 mm. The highest adjustable ride height makes the Focus one of a kind in the entire game, something that greatly contributes toward general image it has in it. Even without increasing the center of gravity (you should do it some time, it makes cornering and going over rumble strips very satisfying activity) the weight of the car gently moves around the car, so it simplifies search for a comfortable driving technique. Those tires offer plenty of grip, and the car can set very fast laps even while being driven leisurely.

It may not sound as something different, but driving-wise, the Focus really is something different. While other rally cars in the group suffer from a compromise here or there, the Focus insists on keeping such tricks away from the driver. I haven't seen such attributes on a rally car for quite some time and that is why I'm glad the Focus is here.

thumbnail.php

Car: Citroën Xsara Rally Car '99
Power: 294 hp / 8500 rpm
Torque: 184.43 ft.lb / 7000 rpm
Weight: 960 kg

This Xsara pretends to be a WRC car, whereas I claim it is nothing more than a kit car. Who speaks wisely? Me, of course. Dissatisfied seeing me bragging about my knowledge, the Xsara admitted how a kit car indeed it is. But it also used the opportunity to stress how it used to be very competitive during its years. So? I never said it wasn't, gee...

As long as you drive through medium and high-speed corners, there won't be many factors pointing out true identity of this car (being a FWD car, thanks for asking). If tires have enough grip, the cornering potential will be the same as on usual 4WD rally machines; downforce does whatever it takes to conceal any signs of understeer. You can even sway the rear end a bit when the weight is being kept in the middle. Good, we could like this FWD car.

However, once you enter a slow-speed section, the Xsara will begin to protest. Strong understeer (not only on exits, it would often appear on entries once the throttle was released) and wheelspin were common elements in such occasions, hard to cope against if you don't posses good throttle control or if you keep TCS unplugged. I can't complain though, because being occupied during these seconds on this car creates unusual way of satisfaction you can't experience on usual FWD cars.

More epic moments await you on a dirt surface; the car is extremely fast there, probably more than other 4WD cars. Hm, a bit unusual, but that is how it works in this game.

Another thing, the engine may lack some torque, but in terms of speed I didn't really notice any difference. But more importantly, it sounds really beautiful. Oh, I could love this car.

thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Impreza Rally Car '99
Price: 300,000 Cr.
Power: 299 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 347.17 ft.lb / 5000 rpm

The Impreza may not be the most dominant competitor on this stage, but it certainly is the "safest" choice. It may not deliver the most striking performance on display, but it brings the best from all fields in decent manner, without much compromises usually expected on 4WD cars. Even people who know very little about rallying somehow know the Impreza can't be a mistake.

In my opinion, the most interesting trait of this car is hidden beneath the hood; unlike other rivals, the Impreza is powered by a boxer engine. These engines tend to be quite light, which in our case ensures the front end won't feel as heavy as on other cars. Turn-ins are great, almost as the car was a FR drive-type. Combined with good gripping power it can successfully overpower presence of understeer. On certain corners it won't be willing to let you report signs of rear-end sliding, but that is just a minor bug you'll learn to deal with. Its biggest rival is the Evo VI, but the Focus is not going to remain impassive either.

This is a great introductory car for all players coming to compete on rally scene. Approved by Subaru.

thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Rally Car '99
Power: 297 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 376.11 ft.lb / 3500 rpm

In technical sense, the Evo VI is the most engaging car in the group. Approach to tuning is a bit different due to existence of a well-known Mitsubishi's Active Yaw Control system. Although probably equipped on the car ab initio, it cannot be adjusted as usual; instead we get to alter LSD with different functionality.

Rear acceleration and deceleration values are not adjustable while you can increase rear Initial value up to 130. The more you increase, the more the car becomes prone to oversteer when lifting off the throttle. Increase it all the way to the maximum and the car becomes amazingly fun on rainy conditions.

However, I wouldn't recommend relying on that device too much. It should be used only to initiate small amounts of rear end skidding when handbrake or foot-brake prove to be ineffective. It is useful mostly on corner entries, as sharper as possible at that.

When compared to the Impreza '99, the Evo VI seems to posses body of less rigidity. It is also more prone to understeer when AYC decides to remain in hiatus. Use the Impreza for grip driving and the Evo VI for enjoyable driving, that is how I would do it. Being stubborn and doing otherwise won't pay off - both will signify how they are less efficient out of their domains.

thumbnail.php

Car: Ford Escort Rally Car '98
Power: 299 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 361.64 ft.lb / 4000 rpm

Who would like to see a road-going handiwork of the Cosworth RS Escort? Sign me up, please.

This Group A model is undoubtedly quite cool, but frankly, the one car Polyphony should have brought long time ago is what we really want. So, whenever you think about this ongoing misfire, give this car a shot, but try not to pay attention to its abilities as it isn't really "cool" as far as handling is considered.

The car is quite unresponsive, steering seems to crave for something the chassis can't accomplish. Very unpleasant fact that becomes particularly disturbing on corner entries where insecurity whether to give initiative to either front or rear end can rally bungle your cornering. I spend quite a lot of time practising with the car and only because of its imposing and iconic presence. Not good. Luckily, I was in good mood that day, so I decided not to give it the worst possible grade.

I'm not satisfied, clearly. But who knows, maybe this review will encourage someone to model the car that should have been modelled long time ago. We'll see.

Verdict: :indiff: (go ahead, count it as :indiff:/:grumpy:, nobody will complain! I wouldn't.)

thumbnail.php

Car: Peugeot 206 Rally Car '99
Power: 299 hp / 5250 rpm
Torque: 394.91 ft.lb / 3500 rpm

This review is going to be very short. Not because there is nothing to say, but rather because I don't know what to say. On my part that usually means another average car with no perceptible positive or negative aspects.

The 206 seems to favour grip driving more than anything else, which is why it won't be fun under all conditions. Well, at least in post-understeer sequences it retains grip slightly quicker than I would have expected.

It sure is a decent car, but other models can stimulate better adjectives on my side. The sound coming from exhaust pipes is very interesting, I wish it was louder.

thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Impreza Rally Car Prototype '01
Power: -- hp / -- rpm
Torque: -- ft.lb / -- rpm

This model is trying to succeed the first generation Impreza model, but as long as it keeps that "Prototype" sticker around, nobody is going to take this attempt seriously.

I noticed how the car exhibited from understeer during lifting off throttle sequences, both at mid and high-speed corners. The front end is no longer light as it used to be on the older model, but at least it understeers less than another Prototype model, the Evolution VII. On slow corners applying throttle at the right moment can make the car to pull inwards.

Good, but not good enough to make me satisfied. The old Impreza is still better.

thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII Rally Car Prototype '01
Power: -- hp / -- rpm
Torque: -- ft.lb / -- rpm

A model with average looks that never made into any other big GT game. The engine operates more lively than Evo VI's, at least by judging the sound. Unusual LSD found on the Evo VI is available here as well (see the Evo VI Rally car review above for details), with the exact same function, but not delivering the same results.

In order to obtain the agility experienced on the Evo VI, you'll have to keep increasing the device more, much more, and trim some other settings too. And once you get the result you wanted, it still won't be as enjoyable as the Evo V wasI, I just feel there are some invisible barriers preventing the car to continue the steps of its predecessor. Ah, yes, the "Prototype" sticker, my apologies...

I gave both Prototype models good grades due to their performance and overall value, but in terms of overall joy, they are barely being average. I dislike flavourless dishes, you know.

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times.

Important notes:
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-400 test;
* Lap times were set on Special Stage Route 5 Wet, with driving aids disabled.

* Special notes: A lot can be said about these results. The Focus had identical 0-1000m result as the '99 Impreza, but because the Impreza suffered from a turbo lag during initial departure, its 0-400 result proved to be worse. That is why I conclude that the Impreza owns better high-speed acceleration than the Focus, given how it eventually managed to catch up with the Focus' result by the time they reached the goal line.
- The Escort is one of the slowest cars on corners due to poor handling.
- I'm not sure why the 206 was that slow on corners, I presume I didn't drive it long enough to precisely estimate its potential. I believe it would lap the course in 1'35.
- Although you can't see it here, the Xsara is painfully dominant on dirt courses, try it!
- The Toyota's duo is decent on corners, but their engines not so; distinguished as sleepy.

Author's Note: I would choose between '99 Impreza, Focus, Evo VI or Xsara - all of them had something I enjoyed.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- Lap Times --- Car

12.222 --- 23.056 --- 1'33.5 --- Evo VII '01 Proto. Rally
12.398 --- 23.374 --- 1'34.5 --- Focus Rally
12.422 --- 23.455 --- 1'35.2 --- Escort Rally
12.431 --- 23.292 --- 1'33.0 --- Evo VI '99 Rally
12.436 --- 23.506 --- 1'35.8 --- 206 Rally
12.445 --- 23.355 --- 1'34.4 --- Impreza '01 Proto. Rally
12.512 --- 23.374 --- 1'34.5 --- Impreza '99 Rally
12.549 --- 23.554 --- 1'33.6 --- Delta Rally
12.691 --- 23.920 --- 1'35.0 --- Corolla Rally
12.822 --- 23.756 --- 1'35.0 --- Celica Rally
14.413 --- 25.323 --- 1'36.5 --- Xsara Rally

Last edited:
nice! when you spoke of the mini and its relationship to kei cars, i thought a kei car was simply a car under a certain length? (3400mm i think gt4 specifies) does it usually have to be japanese too?

nice! when you spoke of the mini and its relationship to kei cars, i thought a kei car was simply a car under a certain length? (3400mm i think gt4 specifies) does it usually have to be japanese too?
Kei cars are strictly from Japan. In terms of dimensions and power Mini would be eligible for Kei class but since it comes from UK, officially it's not a Kei car.

As a side note, I have just realized that few of the cars have been grouped badly (Luxury Car Comparison only). Some of the cars can be fitted in different groups which may be more or less important then others. Since I want to cover all situations (useful for different players) it might happen that single car appears in different reviews. Good example is Mercedes SLK 230 which will soon appear against other Mercedes models (to clarify which one is better for Legend of Silver Arrow event) and other small European cars (to clarify which is the best cheap EU car). Hopefully, such approach will benefit new players who are still moving through career.

Last edited:

Max 3400mm length.
Max 1480mm width.
Max 2000mm height.
Max 630cc.
Max 63hp.

Those are the newest regulations.

Great job Matej. 👍

The Lonely Kangaroo
Test Circuit: Apricot Hill
Tires: Racing Medium (T5) tires

thumbnail.php

Car: Tickford Falcon XR8 Race Car '00
Price: 1,500,000 Cr.
Power: 599 hp / -- rpm
Torque: 460.01 ft.lb /-- rpm
Weight: 1350 kg​

While Gran Turismo is surely among the best driving games your money can buy these days, it's also impressive how the same money, regardless of how much you have, can't cover for the flaws the series is delivering for several years now. For instance, the series is tries to cover all aspects of motorsport, but that is not working efficiently, at least not in GT3. Due to appearance of other rivals, various car manufacturer demands and general guidelines of the gaming industry, that can only be offered by smaller, independent titles.

Australian V8 Supercar touring series is a great example of that. The series is gaining more and more popularity each day and we still haven't seen any traces of it in Gran Turismo. In GT4 situation improved a bit with the appearance of few Holden and Australian Ford cars, but here in GT3 the project of replicating the series just barely started without any results. The Tickford Falcon XR8 Race Car is a car responsible for securing that role. Without adequate rivals or events to compete in with related siblings, it makes us believe how the car was featured just to introduce glimpse of something that in future will become very big. Well, just take a good look on recent GT games, the XR8 is still the only car in its class!

Nevertheless, even though the car didn't achieve its mission, it can be reviewd by usual standards. I decided to test it on Apricot Hill Raceway, the track that somehow reminds me of various Australian circuits where V8 machines like this compete.

Well, what is all about the XR8 anyway? In GT3 it's significantly more expensive then certain Le Mans cars you can buy in mint condition from dealership, but at least it comes available with opening description, which makes the XR8 one of those scarce race cars that allow the buyer to find out something about its origins. In normal circumstances that would be great since players would get the chance to learn few tips from growing V8 series, but mind this, our description talks about road version only, without providing any info about the mentioned racing example or the series in general. All those things you can learn about road-going Ford Falcon are useless as most of the parts are modified for the purpose of meeting V8 regulations, so you can't use that knowledge to your advantage anyway.

The bottom line is, don't read the description as you will learn pointless claims about something that doesn't even exist in the game. Use gaming time smartly, please.

So far we have talked only about negative things, so I understand if you don't have any good thoughts about the XR8 yet. However, from now on things will get better as the XR8 improves in two most important fields - handling and engine sound departments. I've never heard how real V8 Supercar machine sounds like, but judging from various YouTube movies and my experience from Toca series I believe that Polyphony did decent job in recreating its engine. While it's not necessary the best V8 example GT3 offers, it does stand out as something different and thus, unique.

In terms of handling the XR8 also owns surprise box. Its neutral handling can be often compared with the Lister Storm's as they share many similarities in that field. Of course, the XR8 is even better as the weight never dances around the car like on the Storm, positively affecting your cornering. Precisely, the XR8 seems as a very rigid and stiff car where chassis is obedient and, due to long wheelbase - stable. The Storm would want that, too...

Clearing those long corners was quite fun. Understeer appears eventually, but it can be kept under control. The only real flaw is lack of traction when pulling away from sharp corners. TCS is required if you do not posses good throttle control skills, the car can really spin out instantly if you're not careful.

The XR8 may be a bit expensive and slower than most race cars, but fans of the V8 series won't care. After all, the point of this car (at least in GT3) is to provide different way of clearing career mode. Hard-core drivers will appreciate it as it gets really difficult to complete those harder races. Great, just the way I like it!

Last edited:
Pan European
Test Circuit: Trial Mountain
Tires: Normal Tires

thumbnail.php

Car: TVR Griffith 500 ’'98
Price: 62,410 Cr.
Power: 340 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 350.07 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1060 kg

It is pleasing to see how, at least in virtual world of Gran Turismo, TVR doesn't have to worry about joyless sale results, frequent owner changes and general stagnation this reputable British manufacturer has found itself in. All thanks to fun selection of models that can still easily dislodge amateurs and recruit pros in order to achieve one simple goal - demonstrate how artistic 'driving' itself really is. The one sitting on the top is Griffith.

Tendency to dance around corners is helpful on courses with big changes in elevation. In case of the Griffith, it can be useful even on flat ones, assuming you have what it takes. The front end usually skids more than I would like, so oversteer can be used to restrain the car from experiencing understeer. People who do not prefer such style should buy the Tuscan, they are just going to be frightened of the Griffith. Hm, but that is what TVR is all about, no?

I wish the steering was a bit sharper, it doesn't match well with the fragile chassis, but we can't get everything, can we?

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Lotus Esprit V8-SE '98 / Lotus Esprit Sport 350 '’00
Price: 106,000 Cr. / 113,540 Cr.
Drivetrain: FR / FR
Power: 349 hp / 6500 rpm / 349 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 295.10 ft.lb / 4250 rpm / 295.10 ft.lb / 4250 rpm
Weight: 1380 kg / 1300 kg

The Esprit SE is generally quite a fast machine, though not the one that would keep you excited over the long run. Buy it - test it - sell it. That is what I would do. It is not something I like to do, but certain facts pertinaciously want otherwise.

For example, the car acts sleepy, almost as someone had sucked out all of its vitality by the time I arrived in the dealership. The V8 turbocharged engine the car is powered by was often praised in real life, but once again, I experienced plenty of lag and suffocating due to certain poorly aligned gears, so I can't really believe in that. Would you like to hear something about that uncomfortable exchange of understeer and oversteer? Better not.

The enhanced Sport 350 model clearly emphasizes positive characteristics of its drivetrain and nimbleness, partially nullifying sleepiness too. This is going to place handling quirks in the limelight, so you should use this opportunity to decide whether you like the handling paradigm of the Esprits or not.

Overall, The Sport 350 is a decent improvement, but not in places I would expect (nothing about the gearbox has been changed yet...). Lack of any colors from the SE and ugly rear spoiler are not stimulating factors either. Not that important of course, but still crucial for certain players. Basically, you make them choose between uglier or crappier (ouch, that hurts...) model. Well, now I understand why both are required to exist in the game.

Verdict: :indiff: (Esprit SE: :indiff:/:grumpy:)

thumbnail.php

Car: TVR Tuscan Speed 6 ’'00
Price: 80,780 Cr.
Power: 359 hp / 7000 rpm
Torque: 310.29 ft.lb / 5250 rpm
Weight: 1100 kg

Unusual body colors and organic outlines will require certain adaptation, not many people unaware of TVR trademark can process such way of using pencils and other writing accessories with ease. They certainly should as everything that follows next is worth of an apology. Good steering and quality chassis makes the Tuscan enormously quick and fun car, quite far from what we get to experience on the Griffith. This will place it not only as a backbone of the entire lineup, but also as a major step forward in ravaging prejudices surrounding TVR models. The question is, do we need that really?

The rear axle is identified by remarkable traction, but often too much, allowing understeer to take responsibility for the car. That is what I didn't like that much, the orientation towards strict time attack challenges withholds playful side of drifting and sliding. Not something that could harm the Tuscan's handling paradigm, but I wish it was there.

Ah, whatever. After several laps of high-paced driving, I stored the Tuscan without any regrets. It really is a car that can make driving enjoyable, regardless of the handling pattern it promotes.

thumbnail.php

Car: Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Coupe '’00
Price: 154,720 Cr.
Power: 420 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 399.97 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1775 kg

Our DB7 is keen on going around corners with rear tires loosened up. This fondness to oversteer whenever the driver signalizes the car to behave like that was actually very helpful on this course, constant changes in elevation allow for exciting corner entries and exits. It also allows you to keep an eye on that front axle in case it wishes to become rebellious. This is just another tool you have on disposal for driving style trimming that doesn't exist on DB7's rival, the XKR.

Exhaust sound is really great, it greatly contributes to fun factor this car's handling pattern is sweetened with. Just be careful on medium and high-speed corners, chassis not being rigid as that on the XKR requires careful weight transfer.

thumbnail.php

Car: Jaguar XKR Coupe '’99
Price: 104,890 Cr.
Power: 369 hp / 6150 rpm
Torque: 387.68 ft.lb / 3600 rpm
Weight: 1640 kg

This gentleman is not in the mood for playing around, he really wants to be at peace in spite of all my intentions to bring adrenaline rush on display. Something you could confirm by listening to the silent, econo-hybrid vehicle exhaust sound. Nevertheless, this body is very sophisticated and it will try to do whatever it takes to suppress negative handling traits that may appear if you push too hard. Similar idea can be find on the CL 600 Mercedes-Benz, it is just that the XKR is faster.

Once you manage to push overly hard, the front axle is going to respond first, so find a way to neutralize this behavior. That 'finding' was very enjoyable from my perspective as the reward for your effort was one well-balanced cooperation between front and rear axles.

This is the sleepy car I could drive, honestly. Just make sure you change that muffler, please.

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Lotus Elise 190 ’'98 / Lotus Motor Sport Elise ’'99
Price: 58,530 Cr. / 100,000 Cr.
Drivetrain: MR / MR
Power: 190 hp / 7000 rpm / 200 hp / 8000 rpm
Torque: 139.59 ft.lb / 4900 rpm / 144.65 ft.lb / -- rpm
Weight: 670 kg / 700 kg

Would you like to buy one of the Elise models? Check out the following footnotes I found in a diary by the Trial Mountain's pit entry (left by a driver who allegedly died few moments after carelessly provoking the 190):

- Delicate steering movements are required. Try to keep the front tires straight - the car will corner anyway;

- Avoid running over rumble strips. That light body likes to be sent out of control. Rumble strips can also 'drag you in' and change your car's bearing momentarily - now you know why I got killed by the pit entry... ;

- The grip of the rear tires can be smoothly taken away by stepping on the brake pedal. If used smartly, high average cornering speed can be gained. Never exaggerate, otherwise the car will slide for a very short distance and meanwhile, lose significant amount of speed.

- Matej, you shouldn't give the maximum grade to the car because it will eventually send you into a sand trap or concrete wall. This is one rotten little bastard, after all.

Additional footnote was written on the next page:

- You can buy the Motorsport edition too. It allows the driver to take control of certain factors, so the car cannot surprise you anymore. Steering is more precise and gearbox shorter - enough for me. However, for some reason it isn't the same. Maybe because it doesn't require that much attention like the 190 used to.

Of course, I was too stubborn to admit that the 190 was dangerous, I just wanted to keep on testing my limits and limits of the rotten bastard... Now you know why I died.

And? Anything else I need to add?

thumbnail.php

Car: Aston Martin V8 Vantage '97
Price: 455,000 Cr.
Power: 550 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 549.70 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1990 kg

This mastodon was the only animal in the group that could power-oversteer every single corner on the track, assuming you entered at right angle. Actually, paradigm of the Vantage's handling is very transparent... uselessly transparent, to be correct. It goes like this:

Step 1: Body roll as a result of weight overloading the chassis. Mostly on corner approach, especially with brakes applied;

Step 2: Understeer. Once the car settles down from body roll, it won't allow you to take tighter cornering line. Huge weight is mostly responsible for this, but traditional FR characteristics are to blame too;

Step 3: Power-oversteer as a recapitulation of this pattern. Can be fun to control, but very useless if you're in hurry and would like to 'win' a race.

Good drivers can eliminate the first and third step, although under assumption that they posses good driving skills and patience. General speed is fine due to powerful engine that keeps this weight in motion, but it is the corners on which the Vantage becomes vulnerable. Weight Reduction parts are mandatory.

I find the car quite frustrating and mostly useless for overall gaming progress, so I give it the worst grade. If you enjoy eliminating traces of the paradigm above, raise the verdict by half smiley, right now I'm not in the mood. This machine is wild, boy, wild!

Verdict: :grumpy:

thumbnail.php

Car: Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG '00
Price: 93,110 Cr.
Power: 347 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 376.11 ft.lb / 3000 - 4300 rpm
Weight: 1570 kg

Ah, the AMG. I wouldn't mind having the C 43 from the previous game, but hey - this is a fresh model! Quite appealing one at that, just look at the color selection. Look at them carefully, because that could be the last positive thing about the car...

Turn-in seems to be above my expectations and the chassis is surprisingly flexible enough to use that virtue effectively. Good, everything on corner entries appears to be alright. And everything should be alright... until the front tires exceed their grip potential. Once that happens, the consequences will occur quickly and cruelly, giving you no chance to recover. The worst part of this is that you can't predict when such unexpected development may happen.

It isn't really useful in drifting too. You have to drastically reduce speed to execute a decent slide, and approach to such activity isn't friendly either. It is a 'clumsy' car, almost as the AMG engineers weren't sure whether to brake the car loose from all that luxury or keep it in service of Autobahn entrepreneurs.

Ah, I wish I could point the car in the right direction, this certainly wasn't one... whatever it is. Too bad, I was cheering for this one.

thumbnail.php

Car: RUF 3400S '00
Price: 76,740 Cr.
Power: 305 hp / 6800 rpm
Torque: 265.44 ft.lb / 4750 rpm
Weight: 1300 kg

Do you have anything against a Porsche Boxster?

That is what you need to ask yourself prior purchasing the 3400S. Personally, I have nothing against that model, although (so, you do have something in mind...) I never found it as appealing as other Porsche models. It visually differs from others, not being that exclusive and stuff. This naturally affected popularity of the 3400S in my presence, so I never actually drove it more than one or two laps. Well, the digital copy found in GT3 surely does a marvelous job in converting my previous opinion into something better, much better. I think we can now talk about 10 or 15 laps. Consecutive laps, I remind.

The 3400S manages to calculate very comfortable balance between allowing the chassis to remain rigid and tires to smoothly grip the road while providing excellent mechanical output. This all allows for precise navigation around the track. Weight on the car is biased towards the rear end, which can be (and usually it will be) useful on corner entries. Caution though, should be taken if coming from a high-speed corner; the car can become unstable if brakes are applied carelessly. The car is much faster on straights than dealership values suggest.

What you get in this package makes the 3400S one of the most enjoyable MR cars I have ever driven, so it is easy to forget about those few unessential quirks that may get in your way. Who would ever want a Porsche after this?

P.S. Not that I have anything against Pors... no, wait, Boxster... oh, but that is a Porsche... ah, I can't tell anymore, stick with the RUF, it is better. No, wait, I didn't mean like that...

thumbnail.php

Car: Aston Martin Vanquish '00
Power: 449 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 410.10 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1820 kg

The only 'Martin' that is ready to abandon its luxurious personality for the sake of those who would challenge themselves against strong cornering forces. The chassis is responsive and firm enough to make it happen, so they won't remain disappointed. Although just like on the Tuscan, chances to be really entertained are slightly reduced due to orientation towards 'safe cornering' or what we all know as - understeer.

And I might be wrong about this, but I fell DB7 has more soul than Vanquish. That is something that doesn't have much to do with handling or exhaust sound, but is strong enough to affect overall

thumbnail.php

Car: Pagani Zonda C12 '00
Price: 275,010 Cr.
Power: 388 hp / 5200 rpm
Torque: 420.95 ft.lb / 3800 rpm
Weight: 1250 kg

Polyphony developed really remarkable exhaust tune for this car, it significantly increases thrill of the drive. Gearbox tops around 140 mph, something I couldn't anticipate, but I suppose that will satisfy needs of many circuits. Even though the chassis is supposed to serve a high-performance sports car, its aptitude could serve a race car too. Hence why I was disappointed to see quirks in the suspension system.

The front and rear axles never work coordinately as they should, especially on approach to a corner. Cornering thus, can never become relaxing as it requires too much thinking to master tedious barrier like this one that doesn't do anything to sharpen your driving skills. And that is what I don't like. Maybe it would have been different if the car came with a different identity, who knows. Rear aero wing is adjustable, hopefully you can use it to do something about the diagnose we set.

I ended this test with status of 'tiresome' written in my notebook. Don't pass me a rubber, please.

thumbnail.php

Car: RUF RGT '00
Price: 160,000 Cr.
Drivetrain: RR
Power: 379 hp / 7700 rpm
Torque: 277.02 ft.lb / 5200 rpm
Weight: 1330 kg

As opposed to the 3400S, understeer on the RGT interferes more than necessary. Obviously, RR layout is responsible for this, but in normal circumstances that wouldn't present a big problem if the engineers hadn't overly immobilized the rear end. In real life I would probably get scolded for encouraging hazardous rear end sliding, but in this game it is often recommended, especially if running on Trial Mountain.

Anyway, lack of appropriate agility on the rear end allows understeer to take the initiative and sweeten all possible segments of a corner. Nothing special (or visible) overall, but good enough to make the RGT less enjoyable choice. That leaves even greater impact when bearing in mind that exhaust soundtrack is terrific and gearbox satisfactory. Ah, I want the RGT to be the best!

The RGT features adjustable rear downforce, just like the Zonda, so use it to teach that rear axle to come out when required.

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times along with real power and weight values taken from the Car Settings screen.

Important notes:
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-400 test.
* Lap times were set on Trial Mountain, with driving aids disabled.
* Special note: Notice how every single Aston Martin performs better on 1000m test. The fact that weight doesn't play that important role once speed increases was also proven by the CLK 55; just compare it with the two Elise models.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- Lap Times --- HP on Kg --- Car

12.173 --- 22.427 --- 1'31.8 --- 376 on 1250 --- Zonda C12
12.457 --- 22.783 --- 1'32.5 --- 367 on 1330 --- RGT
12.848 --- 23.143 --- 1'32.0 --- 350 on 1100 --- Tuscan 6

12.942 --- 23.517 --- 1'34.3 --- 342 on 1300 --- Esprit Sport 350
13.025 --- 23.704 --- 1'35.5 --- 342 on 1380 --- Esprit SE
13.152 --- 23.489 --- 1'35.0 --- 449 on 1820 --- Vanquish
13.231 --- 23.719 --- 1'35.0 --- 330 on 1060 --- Griffith
13.494 --- 24.516 --- 1'37.0 --- 368 on 1640 --- XKR Coupe
13.557 --- 24.387 --- 1'33.8 --- 296 on 1300 --- 3400S
13.653 --- 23.699 --- 1'37.5 --- 542 on 1990 --- Vantage V8
13.748 --- 24.454 --- 1'37.0 --- 407 on 1775 --- DB7 Vantage
14.110 --- 25.798 --- 1'36.0 --- 195 on 700 ---- Elise MotorSport
14.208 --- 25.365 --- 1'38.8 --- 336 on 1570 --- CLK 55 AMG
14.389 --- 26.108 --- 1'38.5 --- 181 on 670 ---- Elise 190

Last edited:
Yay, it lives.

Great write up again, but do you mind posting the laptimes as well?

My mind says that the Elise should be quickest, but my heart says the the Speed 6 is the fastest. I need closure. :lol:

Yay, it lives.

Great write up again, but do you mind posting the laptimes as well?

My mind says that the Elise should be quickest, but my heart says the the Speed 6 is the fastest. I need closure. :lol:
Lap time is usually players primarily tool for deducing car's potential and handling. Once they find out which car is the fastest on the grid they won't look at any other factors, so I thought about adding some change in my reviews and switch attention to other important details. Also, times can vary depending on my driving skills and possible lack of experience on some tracks, so in order not to send wrong effect to people I decided not to record them officially. Car with best verdict is usually the fastest one but there are some exceptions.

Always listen to your heart Bopop4, Tuscan is the fastest in the group by quite large margin (1'32-33) :). Elise Sport 190 is among the slowest in pack (1'38-39) while Motorsport performs slightly better (1'36).

These are other times I have recorded:

Griffith: 1'35
Esprit (both): 1'35-37
DB7: 1'37-38, rarely 36
XKR: 1'37-38, rarely 36
Vanquish: 1'35
V8 Vantage: Accidentally deleted

Hyphen means: It can vary.

An Obvious Oxymoron
Test Circuit: Deep Forest

thumbnail.php

Car: Lotus Elise 190 '’98
Price: 58,530 Cr.
Power: 190 hp / 7000 rpm
Torque: 139.59 ft.lb / 4900 rpm
Weight: 670 kg

VS

thumbnail.php

Car: Tommykaira ZZ-S '’99
Price: 56,800 Cr.
Power: 192 hp / 7300 rpm
Torque: 144.87 ft.lb / 6400 rpm
Weight: 670 kg​

PROLOGUE
I presume you thought that Europeans are only people capable of creating such tiny, yet rapidly fast vehicles. Well, you're wrong! Workaholic Japanese went berserk and decided to built a car using similar recipe with ingredients such as little weight, powerful mid-positioned engine and short wheelbase. This task was assigned to Mr. Tomita and Mr. Kaira, two gentlemens in charge of Tommykaira, manufacturer that enjoys fairly high reputation thanks to its presence in GT series. Their innovation was called ZZ-S, small go-kart-like car that right from the start has all needed elements to cope directly against our well-known representative of this perilous class. Yes my dear friends, I'm talking about the Lotus Elise Sport 190, youngster whose duty is to defend its position against invading Japanese weapon. These two competitors will now cross their pillows on Deep Forest, circuit known for it's dynamic pace and beautiful surroundings. So, fasten your seat belt and let's head on the track!

FIRST IMPRESSION
Little, orthodox cars have very strong objective in Gran Turismo: to distract player's attention from heavy, overpowered, electronics-filled vehicles to simple principles of physics, which are still the most important factor for producing ultimate sports cars. But in order to fulfill their duty successfully it's necessary to have another factor, usually not important for such cars - design. They need to look good. They need to catch your attention as soon as you reach specific dealership, as soon as you toggle their wallpapers with D-pad buttons. The Elise is doing well here. Already nicely composed chassis is further distinguished with beautiful palette of colors and exterior details that provide almost toyish aura. But Elise is not a toy, oh no, this is a beast that yet needs to be unleashed from its nest. Surely, most players will accept to assign the task to themselves given how the manufacturer of this model (Lotus) is quite an icon, well known among GT players.

Tommykaira is just... well, a tuner and not that popular really. Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if ZZ-S was attractive but... Tommykaira obviously tried so hard to make their car look like the Elise (I don't blame them because you won't find better pattern) but this doesn't mean too much if borrowed details aren't perfectly composed. Glimpse of organic design is slightly deformed with ugly hum on the back and poor selection of colors that are way too dark for usual taste. Colors aren't that important, but try to recall when was the last time you pass up a car with orange and yellow paint in offer. Just how it's hard to pick the best color on the Elise it's also damn hard to pick the ugliest one on the ZZ-S. Luckily, price is almost identical so this factor shouldn't affect either car unless we find some disturbing quirks in the handling section.

2je9nd.jpg

Above: The ZZ-S looks decent enough, but it's still no match for iconic and cheerful Elise (below).

noaweh.jpg

POWER PLANT
The Elise and ZZ-S are equipped with powerful 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines respectively that produce astonishing 180-ish horsepower, good enough to make full use of car's already insane cornering abilities. Engine numbers are basically identical, but few minor details slightly distinguishes one from the other.

The ZZ-S's engine peak units are located much higher, almost near rev-limiter which makes hard to utilize maximum potential since gearbox is way too stretched for this type of engine. 3rd gear proved to be the biggest problem; gear in which I spent most of my time around the circuit landed far away from peaky zone and ate most of the car's power. The Elise doesn't suffer from this, so make sure the ZZ-S gets either Fully Customizable Gearbox or one of those Close boxes unless you want to be tailgated. Problem mostly occurs on corner exits while using automatic transmission, but it can also happen on uphills with either shifting style.

A place where the Elise also rocks is a sound department. Rarely any 1.8 engine can sound so brutal and fresh as it does one on the Elise. Racing-oriented feel accompanied by deep pitch produces rather serious tune well matched to funny and smiley Elise appearance. The ZZ-S 's unit is damn quiet and unless you turn on the speakers even higher you won't hear a sound from it. Maybe not a very important technical detail but it does reduces overall driving pleasure. Sadly, it seems that ZZ-S lost even this battle. But don't worry, we have reached field in which ZZ-S will finally show it's true value.

29bocy0.jpg

Above: The ZZ-S's widened gear arrangement looks nice, but doesn't deliver maximum potential of the
engine. Below: Graphic demonstration of 0-1000m sprint race between the Elise (blue) and ZZ-S (red).

213ma35.jpg

HANDLING
To drive the Elise means to constantly deal with the steering wheel (or analog stick in my case) and that hasn't changed from before. Sudden changes in behavior are notable even on this circuit but albeit time with rather more pronounced oversteer issues. However, sliding around those dynamic corners is actually useful here and it may turn Elise from frustrated to extremely competitive and fun car to drive. Tough, but fun. Hard braking quickly disrupts rear traction and sends this tiny body into semi-drift which often needs to be countered with traction, that is, by accelerating. At least on this stage the Elise can act as a rally car which surely is a very big merit. However, remember that this may or may not lead to a better lap times; it all depends on a driver.

However, if you think that the Elise deserves instant victory and sound approval, then you obviously haven't driven the ZZ-S beforehand, since handling is exactly the area where the ZZ-S can achieve domination. Steering is slightly more direct, thus hunting that ideal driving line is much easier task. Trust me, you will quickly learn to appreciate this ability once you start messing around with power upgrades and tires (all that usually doubles typical MR issues).

Moreover, the ZZ-S doesn't exhibit from lift-off oversteer like the Elise does. Oh, no my friends, despite what you might think, this is a rather stable car. Rear tires will give up eventually but only after you have exceeded pace which for the Elise would be extremely hazardous. I presume that slightly longer wheelbase is responsible for this, but there are other details, I'm pretty sure. Still, the ZZ-S is not without flaws. Stomping on acceleration pedal in slow corners occasionally leads to rapid oversteer which quickly needs to be eliminated with counter-steer, otherwise donuts are inevitable. Understeer, when it happens, is also more noticeable on the ZZ-S but it didn't have too much impact on me, probably due to different driving style implicated by unique flow of the circuit. However, difference does exists so have that in mind too.

Finally, I have to point out how the brakes on the ZZ-S are significantly more effective than those of the Elise. This proved to be particularly noticeable on the first corner after the finish line. If possible, avoid late braking with the Elise, that little body won't stop if you push it too far.

bhhrv6.jpg

Two chaps charging towards finish line. Any similarities will quickly vanish away once they reach a corner entry.

Now you probably wonder how fast this cars are in terms of lap times. Well, in theory both cars are capable of running similar (or even identical) laps but the main reason why in reality this won't happen too often lies in risk of losing control during hard drive. No matter how many laps I drove, Elise's tricky handling greatly reduced consistency between my laps and gave me less time to fully unleash maximum potential from the car itself. ZZ-S, with more refined handling, automatically used this advantage and made my laps about half seconds faster at the end. Remember however, that this doesn't mean that ZZ-S is faster then Elise by any means. Elise's driver will just have to carry heavier burden on his back during serious dogfight and this surely can create dramatic turn of events.

CONCLUSION
Despite all the problems we have mentioned, making a decision became much easier task then I originally had thought it would be. Generally speaking, the Elise provides excellent satisfaction in every possible way as long as you have skillful hands to control its manners. On the other hand, the ZZ-S is bestowed with visual and minor technical issues but strikes in handling field. While for my personal use I would go with the Elise, for career needs, common sense is all you need to follow and in that case the ZZ-S proves to be the best choice. Delicate handling followed by potentially faster lap times are keys that should be in the hands of every amateur driver. I'm sure that most drivers will find Elise irresistible but try for at least once something different, you might learn a lot. Oh, and... make sure you read the ZZ-S's dealership introduction; story about car's origins is pretty interesting.

MINI STATISTIC
Code:
                              Elise 190       ZZ-S
0-400m                   ---  0'14.363      0'14.994
0-1000m                  ---  0'26.081      0'26.893
Top speed                ---  163.4 mph     161.9 mph
Braking (100mph > 50mph) ---  56.32 m      49.89 m
0-60mph (3rd gear)       ---  152.88 m      148.05 m
0-90mph (3rd gear)       ---  381.41 m      374.97 m

2ag6trt.jpg

Last edited:
I go away for 3 days and come back on GTP and all I see is mindless crap.

And then a day later Matej updates his GT3 Reviews, and all is right with the world.

Great work as always, really good pair of cars to compare.👍

Thanks Bopop4 ! I really enjoyed it myself, also found that duels are somewhat easier to write than usual reviews. One more is in progress, it should be published by the end of the week.

German Shepherds
Test Circuit: Deep Forest
Tires: Simulation tires (T0)

thumbnail.php

Car: BMW 328ci ’'99
Price: 50,690 Cr.
Power: 190 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 206.86 ft.lb / 3500 rpm
Weight: 1465 kg

Previous game in the series offered quite extensive lineup of BMW models, though lack of high performance M ones was quite an eyesore for many of us. The situation didn't really improve in GT3 - desirable M models failed to appear once more, and many other curiosities from GT2 were cut out as well. Ouch, that hurts! The only model that remained was the 328ci, to sadness of hard-core Beamer supporters.

The 328ci is not directly competing against the Audi TT or Mercedes-Benz SLK, but in terms of performance and handling qualities it can be matched, to a limited degree though. The 328ci is not adjusted for aggressive driving, nor it offers much danger or excitement. The rear end provides good deal of traction, lift-off oversteer was barely noticeable. Power-oversteer was present when coming out of corners, though it occurs really gently and without presenting any real danger to the driver. It appears it would spin out quickly, but is actually highly controllable, even basic counter-steering is enough to stop it.

Either you'll be moving too slow to notice any problems with handling, either you'll be driving on tires that are too soft to let you feel anything. That is the 328ci - a calm gentleman. I would recommend increasing its power and making a touring car out of it, the Alfa 156 and two Altezzas are just waiting for you to open a 2P championship mode and commence with mini WTCC competitions. Just a thought.

thumbnail.php

Car: Audi TT 1.8T Quattro '’00
Price: 46,580 Cr.
Power: 221 hp / 5900 rpm
Torque: 206.86 ft.lb / 2200-5500 rpm
Weight: 1395 kg

This car's mission is to rip you off - it doesn't have the Quattro system, in spite of everything else suggesting otherwise, let alone high price tag. The TT in this game is programmed to act as a FWD car, so you'll have to buy that VCD thing if you want to make a conversion. Quite ridiculous misfire by PD, right? So I bought the device and set it to 50-50. Let's see..

Traction you get from all four tires is good when flying off, and to keep the car stable when challenging long corners with changes in elevation, but it may also induce understeer where not needed. Unlike the SLK which understeers only when pushed to its limits, this baby will usually understeer through entire corner. It is advisable to let off the throttle on corners, it will turn the car inwards a bit. If you exaggerate, the motion can turn into body roll. The engine is supported by a turbo and has 6 gears - ingredients for more power.

I should point out that even as a FWD car the TT is faster than the 328ci or SLK. It is just more annoying then.

thumbnail.php

Car: Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor '’99
Price: 55,310 Cr.
Power: 193 hp / 5300 rpm
Torque: 206.86 ft.lb / 2500 rpm
Weight: 1325 kg

Mercedes-Benz's lineup is mostly covered with high-powered luxury machines, rarely providing anything from other fields. However, once they decide to visit those fields gems like the SLK appear. It is one of those rare hardtop convertibles that look good regardless of what do you do with its roof. But there is more the SLK can provide.

The fact it has a supercharger means it gets best from both worlds, plus it corners well. I haven't found any significant handling issues that would be worth mentioning. Even when it understeers, it does it better than the TT.

If I really need to choose something, let it be body roll then - it may appear if you try to swing the rear end just a moment before the front end will lose grip. But that's about it. Pick the colour you like and just go for a drive.

thumbnail.php

Car: Opel Speedster '00
Price: 38,390 Cr.
Power: 144hp / 5800 rpm
Torque: 149.72 ft.lb / --- rpm
Weight: 850 kg

Opel does not confidently show off its trump cards on demand. Their top models are usually well hidden behind all those civilian boxes and rectangles under which Opel name was crafted. That could be the reason why GT never paid much attention to spicier models. Hopefully this will change in future. When it does, the Speedster will be one of the first models to add.

This small 2-seater is loosely based on a well-known Lotus Elise, though with heavier body and underpowered engine. While you won't experience Elise's ferocious handling issues, the Speedster is not completely innocent. On every corner the rear end tries to initiate something. Not necessarily oversteer, but rather a prologue to oversteer or even body roll. In worst case it will simply take away your speed and slow you down. You can keep this "prologue" under control by moving with the steering wheel left and right quickly (i.e. catching the car). Also, power-oversteer occurs on sharp corners, but this is easily controllable.

The Speedster proved to be the fastest and the cheapest car of the four. It may become tricky to drive once you raise the level of power, but good drivers will quickly take advantage of this.

Last edited:
hey, you could do Japanese 276BHP cars, but the thing is the prices really vary, so pricewise they're almost all in different classes.

Back