GT3 Car Reviews Site

• Thread starter Matej
  • 68 comments
HDT Commodore
hey, you could do Japanese 276BHP cars, but the thing is the prices really vary, so pricewise they're almost all in different classes.
Price is very sensitive factor which might or might not be important depending on player. You could have person who doesn't care about car's price as long as he can buy what he wants. On the other hand, I found numerous examples in which people ask what is best car for this or that event. Price is important for them so right now I'm trying to find best balance between these two groups of people.

I have concept reviews on some 276hp cars but due to their large number it will take a while before I publish them. Next review is meant to omit price factor, so hopefully I will have better perspective of how to treat rest of the cars.

The R Family
Mode: Simulation Mode
Test Circuit: Tokyo R246 II, Cote 'd Azur
Tires: Normal tires
TCS/ASM: 0/0​

The NSX in these circles of the Red badge is known as par excellence, but what if one doesn't posses enough money to withstand its domination? In such case difference between the rest becomes important. Let's see what 'the rest' has to offer.

Day I
13zojlf.jpg

Honda Accord Euro-R '00
(FF, 216hp, 1330kg)

Unlike the other two Type-R models waiting for my appearance, the Euro-R never managed to collect enough acclaim, simply because there weren't enough people interested in clapping. If Type-R editions exist as race-oriented enhancements of their respective base models, 4-door shape just doesn't fit into this category, especially since Honda had already introduced itself to customers with 2-door program by the time Euro-R made its debut.

Even so, its curse is also its bless as on this type of vehicles temptation usually rises as you are trying to figure out potential hiding between usual ability to serve as everyday needs of transportation. The major hope lies on its long wheelbase that successfully annuls any longitudinal understeer such heavy body may produce. And indeed, handling rarely appears a topic of elaboration between fans, even though the front-end does have the habit of floating away at times. Raise power and the issue gets more pronounced. Still, because the chassis is of such good construction, it will rarely caught drives off guard; about 300 ponies this sedan should be able to carry without any posterior suspension modifications.

The Euro-R may be a bit clumsy for racing scenarios, but among saloons it is pretty much the best choice you can make. And being the best inside its own class is a virtue of all Type-R models.

Day II
15n3afb.jpg

Honda Civic Type-R '98
(FF, 182hp, 1050kg)

The Civic Type-R is a typical dish in a kitchen of Gran Turismo. As such, you shouldn't expect much reaction from hungry drivers aside from usual sign of approval supported by poker face. Through various editions of all GT installments players have squeezed pretty much everything they could from it, so 'surprise' is not the term the Civic can achieve so easily this days. In fact, veterans of Gran Turismo series are starting to take it for granted, even if they know it is impossible to find better alternative in some occasions. But is it really fair to have such feelings towards the Civic, once such popular car?

Of course not, but after coming from the Euro-R I'm afraid I have felt under the same impression. Even though the Civic is marginally lighter than the Euro-R, general speed and cornering potential are surprisingly being kept on similar, in some cases even equal level. Not a really pleasing discovery, and it gets even worse as you realize that the Civic often likes to spend more time on border of its abilities than the Euro-R. That, by other words, means how you will experience more disobedience when you reach the peak of its capabilities. This premise is just unacceptable and doesn't go well with already weary position it has in driving games. At this point the only thing you should cheer about lies in its engine which, due to available Turbo Kits, can be pumped up to about 400 ponies. Shame.

Day III
6gztk5.jpg

Honda Integra Type-R '98
(FF, 197hp, 1080kg)

After being exposed to disappointing performance of the Civic, I was wandering what kind of experience I was going to meet next behind the wheel of the Integra Type-R. Will I be disappointed again? Possible skepticism is in place since very few cars can be threatened as siblings as these two can. Luckily, contra-answer quickly arrived and penetrated where I just wanted (I'm not being ironic here).

The first step of happiness is insured by the engine that seems to be of higher potential that numbers may present. Top speed is significantly higher, so the Integra has another trump card to play with, when not teaching lessons on corners. But when it does, the real enlightenment starts. The maneuverability found and praised on Euro-R appears again, being devoid of any stiffness the Civic Type-R was constantly surrounded with. Even though it comes with the shortest wheelbase, the Integra keeps its movements almost neutral, placing an objective far above cloud the two can reach. Now, from this height you can easily patronize on the two's attempts to reach such level of performance. Not successful attempts, of course.

Final Standings
Honda Integra Type-R '98
Honda Accord Euro-R '00
Honda Civic Type-R '98​

Conclusion

Even though the R family got expanded with two new offsets, the integrity set in 1995 will have to wait for another generation to come and beat it. All those rewards the Integra took aren't just for show, they really are result of something big. If this matches your predictions, maybe the second-positioned Euro-R will add slight surprise into play. In spite of its dimensions and weight, the Euro-R is amazingly resistant and competitive in such way that it can easily dice with more compact Civic Type-R. That is why the Civic gets the last place. There is no doubt that its price and general abilities will embarrass other manufacturers' rivals with ease, but in family circles even the smallest sign of weakness will change the entire prestige one model may have. That is how ferocious Honda's cars really are.

Last edited:
Cup Holders
Test Circuit: Cote 'd Azur, Grand Valley Speedway
Tires: Sports tires (T1)
TCS/ASM: 0/0​

The following review should be classified as a small heritage to always interesting cup races. Let's see how far Gran Turismo has gone in replicating one of the hardest automotive discipline one may participate in.

Day I
x1zhn4.jpg

Volkswagen Lupo Cup car '00
(FF, 122hp, 840kg)

Just like some other notable manufacturers, Volkswagen also decided to increase its branding by advertising their own cars through various one-make events. Unfortunately, the one with Lupos is probably the least known, so it requires to be discovered by means of the mobile, virtual replication found in the game. Although based on the road-going GTI model, the Lupo Cup is characterized by high dose of unresponsiveness on turn-ins and occasional feel of heaviness, so it is far from being innocent as the mentioned example presents itself.

Luckily, the Lupo innitialy comes with few adjustable upgrades so tweaking those issues is a fun job. That is, it should have been if it just had appropriate place to make a best use of such knowledge. But without Lupo Cup event it doesn't, so it will eventually end up serving for different purposes that often have nothing in common with the event it advertises. In fact, this could be either a good FF car or another blank shot by Polyphony. Because we are trying to find decent cup fun, I'm afraid the latter is more likely.

Day II
2wdtvnn.jpg

Renault Clio Sport Race Car '00
(MR, 285hp, 1150kg)

Sudden jumping from one class to another is activity I'm not really fond of, but I granted permission to pull cars randomly to my dices, hence why I shouldn't complain. At least I got a chance to seat behind the mid-ship car that isn't a synonym for trouble. On contrary, when you eliminate all issues on these cars all that remains is fun and adrenaline to enjoy it effectively. And there is a plenty of both with the Clio, the cupity-cup. It drives so clean, so much you will wish for just another set of laps before you finally cross over the finish line. The car provides fun and nothing but fun, something that is to be expected from a manufacturer which is a veteran in this field anyway. And unlike the Lupo, this one does have a private lounge to toy with its own kind, but alas, these guys are road-going editions only, so another free-rider will have to look out for independent competitions to play in. No worries, as its performance is extremely high, you won't leave from exhausting events without trophies. Something the Lupo could never do as effectively.

Day III
2cymauo.jpg

Volkswagen New Beetle Cup Car '00
(FF, 202hp, 1170kg)

Hatred towards Beetles is understandable; in normal circumstances this is the last car anyone would pick from a dealer lot. But this Cup edition is different, somehow it manages to hide its ridiculousness by offering something I couldn't find on the previous two. That 'something' is a well-known desire to compete in eligible one-make event with alike cars and experience the complete essence of cup racing. Out there, there are many one-make races, but that with Beetles is exceptional, because it is so loyal to replicating the real-life event.

When measuring the car itself, it shares two major components with the Lupo (humorous for their appearance, but nonetheless, cool exhaust sound and color choice), but in every other way we are talking about two different pots. Speed is almost incomparable and even in handling chapter the Beetle feels more balanced and neutral. Maybe too neutral for the sake of reality but there is no better way to prolong its moments of presence in your garage. Anyway, you are given a few reasons why not to complain about Beetles for some time. That moment this one deserves.

Final Standings
Renault Clio Sport Race Car '00
Volkswagen New Beetle Cup Car '00
Volkswagen Lupo Cup Car '00​

Conclusion

When I think about it carefully, this triathlon was all about getting into a world of one-make racing. However, since this condition depends, among everything else, on a joy these car can offer, instead of the Beetle, the title was taken by the Clio. Fun, and not because of the speed it offers, but rather general handling abilities, the Clio easily replaces existing issues regarding its own one-make event. Second positioned Beetle delivers blank experience of fun, but this compensates with detailed cup event. And at last, no matter how much I cheer on the Lupo, it doesn't offer any of these crucial factors. If it had its own event, it would fight with the Beetle for second position for sure, but in this situation it simply stands nowhere. Real tragedy...

Last edited:
I'm being quite absent from the place for the last few months but I haven't forgot about the reviews. Following updates are sort of a prelude of what is coming in future, so stay tuned:

* Reviews have been separated into 5 groups, each with its own explanation present on the first post
* Names of the reviews have been changed
* Proper years of cars have been added and lots of tehnical issues (primarly font size) fixed
* Miles in Mini Statistic have been changed into metres
* The verdict from Solo Reviews has been removed
* A list of reviews featuring price of vehicles as a crucial evaluation factor has been added

Hopefully my college obligations will calm down a bit so that I can update the site regulary.

Beat Of The Rising Sun
Test Circuit: Laguna Seca
TCS/ASM: 0/0

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Mazda RX-7 Type RZ '00 / Mazda RX-7 Type RS '98
Price: 39,980 Cr. / 37,780 Cr.
Drivetrain: FR / FR
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 231.45 ft.lb / 5000 rpm / 231.45 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1270 kg / 1280 kg

Although dealership often tries to proclaim it differently, the attraction of the entire manufacturer in reality lies exclusively on one model - RX-7. There is nothing strange about this; if one car should bear the entire pride of its manufacturer, then it shouldn't have any weakness on display, which in case of RX-7, is completely true.

It offers excellent agility, decent look and easy learning curve - the characteristics of the ideal sports car, which none of the rivals can offer simultaneously. It is also the lightest in the pack, which brings you enormous advantage on endurance events over the fastest rivals. Constant alignment of trophies in your garage can be initiated either by the RS or the limited RZ edition. Let's put aside all cosmetic and mechanical differences; one thing you should look for is the maneuverability that never stops being an appealing factor. The RZ is in better position here as it allows for more freedom on corner entries and exits. Those who need more grip and steady feel in corners should buy the standard RS, albeit they will have to deal with some mechanical resistance at the front end once the limit of the car is reached.

However, it doesn't really matter which model you prefer; once RX-7 starts unleashing its potential, very few cars will remain close enough to monitor its abilities. Trim badges become really trivial then.

Verdict: :) (RS: :)/:indiff:)

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Honda NSX Type R '92 / Honda NSX Type S Zero '97
Price: 99,570 Cr. / 98,570
Drivetrain: MR / MR
Power: 276 hp / 7300 rpm / 276 hp / 7300 rpm
Torque: 216.98 ft.lb / 5400 rpm / 224.21 ft.lb / 5300 rpm
Weight: 1230 kg / 1270 kg

A profusion of the beautiful and gentle colors or the freshly crafted, red Type R badge? This tough decision should be made based on your preferred driving style and particularly, your level of MR cocktail-handling toleration.

The Zero is said to be slightly inferior when compared with the Type R, but that doesn't have to be true. Due to a different suspension settings, the Zero conceals understeer to a slightly higher degree and yet, it leaves you enough space to sway its end at the corner entries and experience some fun. The Type R is not in the mood for such games, so its composure will make the best use in traditional, grip driving. However, its tenacious grip on the road, especially high-speed corners, is beyond the Zero's reach, by which side it feels like a sluggish and sometimes annoying ride.

It is almost impossible to declare which of the cars offer better experience, but if you can't digest the cocktail traditionally reserved for MR class, than the Zero is the one you should target at. Hopefully, you'll have enough money to withstand the experience it offers.

Verdict: :)/:indiff:

thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
Price: 29,980 Cr.
Drivetrain: 4WD
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 260.38 ft.lb / 3000 rpm
Weight: 1350 kg

The introduction of the Evolution IV did not only change the repetitive design of the previous models, but it also helped increase overall performance of the later models in the series significantly by introducing the newest Mitsubishi technology known as the AYC (Active Yaw Control). By measuring throttle, braking and steering inputs, this device distributes required amount of torque on the side of the rear axle that has the highest amount of grip, allowing the car to become prone to rear-end sliding.

However, as a pioneer of such technology, the Evo IV takes all the responsibility for eventual problems that may emerge when overly relying on it. The Evo IV's chassis is not as sophisticated as that of the recent models, so the front axle may not have enough grip to keep the car on the line when sliding starts, resulting in unbalanced movements of the vehicle. In addition, the AYC is mostly effective on medium-speed corners or when approaching to sharp ones from higher speeds, so it becomes impossible to use it all the time.

All in all, this car shouldn't be treated as a replacement of the later Evos or time trial domination, but rather as a good reminder of what we used to drive in the earliest days of the GT series.

Verdict: :indiff:

thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98
Price: 32,480 Cr.
Torque: 274.85 ft.lb / 3000 rpm
Weight: 1360 kg

This is the one. The Evo V is responsible for relieving the legendary 3000GT from the position of manufacturer leader, suggesting the outset of the savage performance the future Evo models would eventually seize. After this model, nobody doubted the competitiveness of the Evo fleet. The sixth generation may be more popular among fans, but let's not forget which model set the principles we all worship so much these days.

The comparison with the Evo IV is pointless because there is a huge gap between possibilities of the two, especially if lap times are discussed. Several fields do require improvements, though. For instance, the LSD is not a device I want to see on a 4WD car, yet the Evo V seems to crave for one as the inside rear tire spins if there is not enough weight pushing the rear axle on your way out. Also, even though the car softly grips the road with confidence, more mechanical feedback during those moments would be a welcome addition.

The Evo V is the first model in the Evo lineup to feature adjustable rear downforce.

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR '99 / Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M.E.(s) '00 / Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS '99
Price: 32,480 Cr. / 32,780 Cr. / 25,980 Cr.
Drivetrain : 4WD / 4WD / 4WD
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 274.85 ft.lb / 3000 rpm / 274.85 ft.lb / 2750 rpm / 274.85 ft.lb / 3000 rpm
Weight: 1360 kg / 1360 kg / 1260 kg

* I didn't include the plain T.M.E. model to make the lineup more clear. Its numbers and abilities are completely identical to the striped version.

Another number, another evolution of our Evolution fleet… or is it? Considering that the Evo VI was built to satisfy up-to-date policy, it should be classified as an upgrade to the previous Evo V model. Thus, fans seeking substantial improvements over the previous model could remain disappointed; barely anything has changed. Surprisingly, our game features even four models to emphasize this 'improvement', so some differences should attract our attention, no?

Performance-wise, distribution of the Evolution models in Gran Turismo is simple: you either want the RS or the GSR model. The RS models are lighter, more rigid and hence adequate for actual racing, but they don't come with AYC device or the ability to be upgraded with one, which makes them less prone to oversteer on corners as opposed to the GSR models (see the Evo IV review above for more details).

The base GSR is the worst model in the group. The engineers not only forgot to eliminate the inner wheelspin of the previous model, but they also made the car painfully prone to unrealistic amount of body-sway oversteer. Losing complete control over this vehicle is not really impossible (although it is absurd) and the flaw appears even when opposite driving style was meant to be achieved, not allowing the drive to inspect full potential of the car at its limits. The grip on the front axle variates while cornering, so you'll likely spend most of your time playing around, using one handling trim to recover from another. Good luck with that. The adjustable rear downforce continues to exist on this generation, so use it to trim the handling of this model.

The GSR T.M.E. pays the tribute to the famous rally driver Tommi Makinen, who won four WRC titles for Mitsubishi using Lancer Evo models. This model reduces effects of the AYC device to acceptable, realistic level, so you can easily trim handling to match your driving preferences. After coming from the base GSR, the T.M.E. model may feel as a bit unresponsive model, but in reality - it isn't. Just more comfortable to drive.

The spartan RS model produces the least amount of oversteer. Absence of sophisticated gadgets makes the RS one-sided choice for people who prefer serious competition on time trial encounters where initiating rear sliding is rarely used, apart from when you direct the nose of the car microscopically in order to increase speed on the exits.
Responsive turning abilities and steady behavior greatly copes with understeer once the throttle is applied, so I found it to be the most balanced choice of the three. Gently driving sometimes wouldn't help on the other two, but the RS can be driven very neutral that way. I should also point out that the RS can be power-oversteered, which proved to be helpful on sharp corners of Laguna Seca. No more inner wheelspin, the rear tires now work in synergy. Finally!!

Any drawbacks? The steering seems to be rougher when compared with that of the GSR T.M.E., so attention is required on corners where sudden change in direction is unavoidable. In addition, the car's short gear ratio isn't very useful on longer tracks while several complaints could be addressed to the fact that the RS is only available in white color. Both models have some flaws, but I can't decide which one should be better. That is probably up to your driving preference to decide.

To conclude, the sixth generation of the Evolution models hasn't evolved that much, but miscellaneous micro-improvements easily justify the popularity the generation has among fans.

Verdict: :)/:indiff: (base GSR: :indiff:)

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GSR '01 / Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII RS '01
Price: 29,980 Cr. / 25,180 Cr.
Drivetrain: 4WD / 4WD
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 282.08 ft.lb / 2750 rpm / 282.08 ft.lb / 2750 rpm
Weight: 1400 kg / 1320 kg

Is this the lucky number seven? The one number we all want to get? Thanks, but as long as the Evolution series is being considered I'm sticking with other numbers.

The Evo VII retains the level of performance of the previous generations and there is nothing that could disprove this - just check lap times below. However, I feel that we have the same situation as with the new Impreza STI. Intolerable amount of comfort, inadequate amount of joy. This generation lost some of the "fat" and visual aggression previous two generations had, so visually they may look a bit... cheap. The looks obviously isn't the most important factor on the Evo, but given I didn't complain about this on the older models means I have to treat this as a problem.

Moving along to performance. Separation of the models is well-known; plain RS for grip and multi-coloured GSR for sliding around. Unfortunately, the RS is not as rigid and active as it was the RS of the sixth generation, neither it differs from the GSR too much - I've actually fallen under the impression that both cars could be interchangeable at some point.

The sixth generation proved us that even small, but fine steps can do miracle in long-running series of production. This generation forgot that. The final grade is objectively quite good, but it should be noted this is definitely the last Evo generation I would take for a drive.

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX STi Version VI '99 / Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version VI '99 / Subaru Impreza 22B STi Version '98
Price: 29,190 Cr. / 29,190 Cr. / 50,000 Cr.
Drivetrain: 4WD / 4WD / 4WD
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 260.38 ft.lb / 4000 rpm / 260.38 ft.lb / 4000 rpm / 267.61 ft.lb / 3200 rpm
Weight: 1310 kg / 1270 kg / 1270 kg

Introduced in 1999, the sixth version of the Impreza marked ceasing of the countless updates of this legendary car once and for all. At last!

The last version doesn't offer anything new aside from enhanced aerodynamics, but we are already used to these baby steps, aren't we? The Impreza is now complete as never before and its competitiveness should be now used against the Evo range without hesitations. Or should it be? Lap times suggest otherwise.

Joking aside, the Impreza has plenty of materials to keep you occupied. Check out the Wagon model, for instance. Although it isn't as responsive as the estate model (due to lower rigidity), it compensates with better agility on corner entries and occasional power-sliding when going out. Nice, and it looks very trendy too!

The real deal is obviously the 22B, road-going replica of the WRC machine. It is different in so many things, mechanics first. It is really stunning how it manages to neutralize understeer during the weight transfer from one side of the car to the other, assuring maximum grip and "sticky" feeling at all time. Unnecessary sliding is kept at minimum level, which consequently leads us to a small controversy that depicts the 22B as overly stiff and sluggish car in relation to the estate model.

Indeed, when it comes to pure agility the regular estate model is a bit more superior. Does that make it more enjoyable drive? Not this time. There is a reason why the 22B demands almost double the price of the "regular" Impreza '99. Let me tell you this, it ain't about exclusivity only. Take it for a spin and you'll find out.

Verdict: :)/:indiff: (22B: :))

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Impreza WRX STi '00 / Subaru Impreza Sports Wagon WRX STi '02
Price: 31,980 Cr. / 29,980 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6400 rpm / 276 hp / 6400 rpm
Torque: 274.85 ft.lb / 4000 rpm / 274.85 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1430 kg / 1430 kg

This generation raised so many controversies. The round headlights won't appeal to everyone, neither will significant amount of additional weight. Clearly, the latter is what unsettles me most, given that the car has lost the responsiveness of the previous generation models, at the same time allowing the understeer to trim the behaviour of the car whenever you wish to exit corner with more punch on the throttle. Yes, this Impreza is a heavy car and it will take few Weight Reduction levels to recover from this state. At least you won't have to spend extra grands on the VCD as it comes together with the car.

The new Wagon mends the situation to small extent by adding some body-sway oversteer into equation, but the overall effect in comparison with the first gen. Wagon isn't really sensational; the power-oversteer is gone, among everything else.

Of course, since we are still discussing an Impreza - however bad it may be - rest assured both will use their potential to do whatever you expect them to do. Nevertheless, the fact that the advantage over the first generation models was found on straights, whereas the cornering potential has degraded, is not satisfying.

Subaru continues with high-performance models albeit their work got too civilized this time. I'm sure that is not the reason why we crave for spicy WRX STi editions, right?

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater '98 / Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo 2 by 2 '98
Price: 39,900 Cr. / 43,980 Cr.
Drivetrain: FR / FR
Power: 276 hp / 6400 rpm / 276 hp / 6400 rpm
Torque: 286.42 ft.lb / 3600 rpm / 286.42 ft.lb / 3600 rpm
Weight: 1520 kg / 1580 kg

The winner of numerous awards and recognitions;
The bearer of the gathered heritage;
The portion of refreshment to always repetitive Nissan lineup...

... The fourth generation is all that. Although generally too heavy and delicate to compete with the best, the 300ZX is still frighteningly balanced and competitive machine for those who may dare to challenge its abilities at the bottom of the class 276. The 2seater is more adaptable to my statement, though. In spite of its enlarged body dimensions and 120mm longer wheelbase, the general handling of the 2 by 2 is more prone to understeer, once you carefully inspect abilities of the both.

Small distinction, but strong enough to give slight advantage to the compact 2seater. But should the fans really care? Of course not. Why?

Because measuring those body lines is still worth of your time;
Because vibrations of the V6 engine never sounded so lovely before;
Because disobeying the authority of the Skyline lineup is still a necessary job.

Reasons there are many and yet you don't need any of them. The 300ZX is a car with such privilege.

Verdict: :) (2 by 2: :)/:indiff:)

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo '95 / Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 '99
Price: 43,230 Cr. / 43,230 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6000 rpm / 276 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 314.63 ft.lb / 2500 rpm / 314.63 ft.lb / 2500 rpm
Weight: 1710 kg / 1680 kg

It has been a while, since the position of Mitsubishi's flagship was taken over by perpetual upgrades of the Evolution models. It was a moment we are going to remember for sure, when this indisputable dominator of the straights and bearer of many connotations was pushed far away from the main stage.

But frankly, a car with such ill-mannered weight shouldn't be a subject to better treatment. The 3000GT is marginally heavier than any other car in the class. Even though it copes with this burden well due to all of the electronics, the fact we're dealing with a bunch of kilos is something your nose will be continuously rubbed with. The upgraded '99 version lost some of the original charm, but because it corners slightly better it can actually be used for some serious racing.

Don't expect miracles though. This car is most useful on open roads and long straights where its speed can compensate for the lack of cornering potential. With the exception of the V6 soundtrack, there is no advantage on this car that rivals (such as the GT-R) couldn't offer. Quite unfortunate, but you can still take it for a ride on the Like The Wind event, the the only place where it can live up to its reputation.

Verdict: :indiff: (VR-4 '95: :indiff:/:grumpy:)

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen '00 / Subaru Legacy B4 RSK '98
Price: 30,000 Cr. / 26,430 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6500 rpm / 276 hp / 6500 rpm
Torque: 249.53 ft.lb / 5000 rpm / 249.53 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1470 kg / 1410 kg

Spawning various editions of the existing model is Subaru's well known pattern of redemption for the lacking offer given in the Gran Turismo series. This, usually disturbing fact, can be slightly excused once unique models like the Blitzen appear.

Visually imposing, its sports character was further highlighted with increased turn-in ability on corner entries. This allows the Blitzen to run away from traditional family car image. There is no doubt that Porsche Design did a good job on making the car more attractive to wider selection of drivers, but the result could've been better. All those additional aerodynamic parts reduce mechanical sensation of the axle in action, so it gets hard to predict what may happen on the next corner. This affects the steering as well, so the overall driving is a bit blunt. The boxer soundtrack is also thinner than that of the GT-B or the RSK. Hm, should we really expect more from the studio that delivers items like chairs and pencils?

The RSK keeps those enjoyable factors on your side while simultaneously eliminating the 'aero issues' of the Blitzen. You also have to be more cautious on corners since the RSK is set on the gentle, family side, so if understeer takes control of the car, your cornering line may become really wide. Great, that makes the RSK even more enjoyable car than the Blitzen! I just wish it was the opposite...

Although the grades are the same for both cars, I remark that the Blitzen is not as rewarding as the RSK.

thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96
Price: 29,330 Cr.
Torque: 249.53 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1430 kg

Let's be honest, the GT-B is not the most tempting car out there, neither it's a car whose abilities on the track deserve much attention. However, if we compare the GT-B with other Legacy models, things may change a bit.

The Bilstein struts provides that sturdy feel that makes the GT-B very steady and refined on corners, something I couldn't sense on the RSK or the Blitzen. The weight transfer occurs almost imperceptibly, making corner entries somehow fun to execute. But that is all. Clearly, the advantages of this car end here, but at least we've found something the new Legacy models can't provide. Interesting.

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

Car: Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec '99 / Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II '00
Price: 55,980 Cr. / 57,480 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6800 rpm / 276 hp / 6800 rpm
Torque: 289.31 ft.lb / 4400 rpm / 289.31 ft.lb / 4400 rpm
Weight: 1560 kg / 1560 kg

The ability to act as a completely different car is what separates the R34 from other 4WD models in the range. Most of them pretend to be something else until you expose them to heavy treatment, at which point they sadly confess how they can't actually run away from traditional 4WD paradigm of handling. Fortunately, our R34 squad can, which makes them more desirable choice.

The turn-in of the R34 is very fast and responsive. Some people could notice how it leaves unnecessary blank space, making the entries less precise and a bit unstressed, almost as the car doesn't care if you'll commence with the cornering or not. It is hard to explain what is it, but I can confirm that it matches well to general cornering abilities of the car.

Even when understeer interferes, mostly at mid sections, the R34 will confidently continue to grip the road as nothing ever happened. Initiating oversteer on entries by relying on your brake pedals and then switching back to throttle controlling is a valuable ability that only the Evo VI RS could offer - although not at such rate. Clearly, the R34 is a very refined car with several operable paths of control. Its agility will become very important once you start messing around with power upgrades, so pay attention not to lose its inborn characteristics. Those makes the R34 among the most competitive production cars in the game.

One thing that may diminish the popularity of the R34 is the number of models separated by few pointless distinctions, often popular way of working in GT series. The R34 V-spec II is another model that features stiffer suspension and carbon fiber hood on which you can find NACA duct. Great, but none of this things affect its abilities, so it doesn't matter whether you buy the one with puncture on the hood or without - identical vehicles is what you get*. I would rather pay attention to lack of red an yellow shades on the V-spec II model as those are quite interesting.

* Actually, this may not be true. The V-spec II seems to resist the understeer at mid-section microscopically more than its original counterpart. However, if you don't pay attention, you may never notice the difference - even the term microscopically is a bit generous.

Verdict: :)

thumbnail.php

Car: Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec '97
Price: 53,900 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6800 rpm
Torque: 271.23 ft.lb / 4400 rpm
Weight: 1540 kg

The R33 never got the publicity the R32 and R34 models had enjoyed. I'm not sure what caused this, but it probably has something to do with the pompous racing charisma and countless compliments of the other two models. Fortunately, meaningful clues can be found while driving the R33 in the game, so I hope we'll find out why the R33 dropped off the radar.

Contrary to my expectations, the R33 is not far from the R34 generation. Few details reveal its inferiority, but that is what you should expect from older model. Anyway, the handling of the R33 is biased towards the front end, which is particularly noticeable on corner entries (when it gets harder to initiate some kind of oversteer) and occasionally on exits (cornering line widens generously as the speed increases). The car can be oriented with the throttle more progressively than the R34, though you probably won't be able to use this merit this unless you learn to loosen that rear grip on corner properly.

In comparison to the other GT-R models the R33 could be depicted as gentle and civilized. It doesn't feel that way when judging the exterior, but that is how it is. It is a good car overall, but not the best GT-R driving-wise.

thumbnail.php

Car: Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II '94
Price: 52,600 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 6800 rpm
Torque: 260.38 ft.lb / 4400 rpm
Weight: 1500 kg

The legendary R32 is a common guise in this series and one some people can't stop cursing for its repetitive presence. Luckily, they never stop praising its abilities at the same time. This is from many aspects the most iconic and joyful GT-R model ever produced.

What I particularly like about this car is the level of agility you can get from its sophisticated AWD system. I also like the the car feels mechanically all the time, not having any additional "downforce grip" you can feel on the younger models. That allows for plenty of outputs explaining what is going with the car. Adding firmness of the chassis, we can conclude the R32 encourages driver to actively participate in cornering sequences.

Level of understeer is negligible. Sometimes I could wish for more oversteer in general (inducing some can be tricky), but fortunately, the car shines in every other aspect so bright I don't think about this minority that often.

thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Supra RZ '97
Price: 44,800 Cr.
Power: 276 hp / 5600 rpm
Torque: 332.71 ft.lb / 3600 rpm
Weight: 1510 kg

The Supra has raised many generations of drivers, allowing them to experience fun side of drifting, hazardous lack of traction and many other miscellaneous factors, considered important in the world of motorsports. It will continue to do so as long as driving games are wealthier by that important product of Toyota's car cluster.

What makes the heavy Supra competitive on the track is the sophisticated suspension system that allows it to perform unusual (for this weight) activities. This is a heavy grand tourer, but is also the only one that acts like a real sports car. Really impressive. Imagine face of the RX-7 when it sees one of these closing in from behind...

Still, don't be overconfident. You can't fight against the law of physics. Although perfectly concealed at first glance, both understeer and body roll can appear suddenly. Tire wear is another factor that can't match the RX-7's. Finally, the engine is grateful for tuning, but keep in mind that traction on the rear axle will become very fragile once all that power comes to play.

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times along with real power and weight values taken from the Car Settings screen.

Important notes:
* 0-400 and 0-1000 acceleration tests were conducted using TCS set on 3;
* Average lap times were set on Laguna Seca with driving aids disabled;
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-400 test. Notice how some cars were more effective on the 0-1000 test, particularly the Supra and the NSX models.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- Lap time --- HP on Kg --- Car

13.216 --- 24.521 --- 1'34.5 --- 305 on 1320 --- Evo VII RS
13.244 --- 24.628 --- 1'34.0 --- 321 on 1560 --- GT-R34 (both)
13.352 --- 24.747 --- 1'34.5 --- 281 on 1270 --- Impreza 22B
13.380 --- 24.818 --- 1'34.5 --- 305 on 1400 --- Evo VII GSR
13.473 --- 24.591 --- 1.34.5 --- 277 on 1270 --- NSX Type S Zero
13.497 --- 24.973 --- 1'35.0 --- 305 on 1540 --- GT-R33 Vspec '97
13.508 --- 24.948 --- 1'35.5 --- 301 on 1430 --- Impreza Sedan '00
13.534 --- 24.999 --- 1'36.0 --- 301 on 1430 --- Impreza Wagon '00
13.590 --- 25.137 --- 1'35.5 --- 297 on 1500 --- GT-R32 Vspec '94
13.615 --- 24.923 --- 1'34.0 --- 265 on 1320 --- NSX Type R
13.805 --- 25.259 --- 1'35.5 --- 302 on 1360 --- Evo VI GSR T.M.E. (both)
13.821 --- 25.325 --- 1'35.0 --- 297 on 1360 --- Evo V
13.826 --- 25.433 --- 1'36.0 --- 277 on 1270 --- Impreza Sedan '99
13.833 --- 25.294 --- 1'35.5 --- 302 on 1360 --- Evo VI GSR
13.931 --- 25.750 --- 1'37.0 --- 306 on 1680 --- 3000GT VR-4 '99
13.956 --- 25.274 --- 1'35.0 --- 302 on 1260 --- Evo VI RS
14.023 --- 25.806 --- 1'37.5 --- 306 on 1710 --- 3000GT VR-4 '95
14.041 --- 25.428 --- 1'34.0 --- 281 on 1270 --- RX-7 RZ '00
14.072 --- 25.787 --- 1'36.5 --- 274 on 1310 --- Impreza Wagon '99
14.086 --- 25.523 --- 1'34.0 --- 278 on 1280 --- RX-7 RS '98
14.088 --- 26.139 --- 1'39.0 --- 263 on 1350 --- Evo IV
14.180 --- 25.297 --- 1'34.0 --- 316 on 1510 --- Supra RZ
14.216 --- 26.309 --- 1'40.0 --- 268 on 1410 --- Legacy B4 RSK
14.346 --- 26.521 --- 1'40.0 --- 268 on 1470 --- Legacy Blitzen
14.358 --- 26.465 --- 1'40.0 --- 267 on 1430 --- Legacy GT-B
14.806 --- 26.696 --- 1'39.0 --- 267 on 1520 --- 300ZX 2seater
14.895 --- 26.863 --- 1'39.0 --- 267 on 1580 --- 300ZX 2 by 2

Last edited:
International Disputes
Test Circuit: Rome Circuit

thumbnail.php

Car: Honda Accord Euro-R '00
Price: 25,330 Cr.
Drivetrain: FF
Power: 216 hp / 7200 rpm
Torque: 162.74 ft.lb / 6700 rpm
Weight: 1330 kg

VS

thumbnail.php

Car: Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V '99
Price: 38,910 Cr.
Power: 190 hp / 6300 rpm
Torque: 163.46 ft.lb / 5000 rpm
Weight: 1320 kg

PROLOGUE
This had to be done, sooner or later. While it may seem a bit unusual to challenge the Euro-R Accord given how the SiR model (which is not in the game) would be far more appropriate rival, I just couldn't resist trying to do it. We're going to execute this plan here in Italy, leaving the brave duty to Alfa Romeo, one of the most desirable manufactures in the world. Let's see what happens when you face two entirely different pots of pedigrees.

FIRST IMPRESSION
I have to admit, the Euro-R has already proven itself in other fields, so there is no need to question its abilities any longer. We know it will do what it needs to be done and embarrass opponents that need to be embarrassed. However, this time it has to deal with something Honda could find hard to defeat - a charisma.

Charisma of the manufacturer that successfully denies any traditional paradigms of how a car should be built and act like; the move loudly applauded by various drivers from all around the globe. Charisma of the manufacturer that never seem to forget how to push joy of driving and owning a car to a complete new level.

When Alfa Romeo launched the 156 into production in 1997, they successfully carved this philosophy for good, showing how it can be blended with modern trends and ages with ease. The 156 was a car that marked complete turning point of this imposing company. With its beautiful design and remarkable driving abilities it still stands as one of the most appealing saloons ever built, serving as a sturdy precedent for future offsprings of the manufacturer. Numerous awards prove this, such as the European Car Of The Year 1998, though probably the most important feedback was the one that would came straight from the owners years after.

262o9pg.jpg

Bellissioma! Te looks is just perfect. That is, it should have been if programmers had shaped the car properly. Ah, that Polyphony…

So how could Honda ever cope against this? Italian charm has always been an Achilles heel to other automotive industries, particularly Japanese. The Euro-R is not an ugly car or anything close to that, but it certainly isn't something that will sweep you off your feet.

The rear end is the worst part; as designed to meet the expectations of the local nation (the Euro-R was sold in Japan only) who built the entire automobile industry as we know today by coping from the overseas first, many of us will agree that the European edition Type-R looks far more like traditional Honda we have been used to in virtual world of Gran Turismo.

The Euro-R makes up with grand appearance and serious stance albeit that is not enough to overmatch the 156. The aura surrounding the 156 (and all Alfas in general) is strong enough to cover hypothetical sale plums due to issues with average build quality or impracticality and that is not something everyone can brag about, you have to admit that. It has been said that many manufactures would like to own such strong charisma that only Alfa Romeo has. I believe Honda would as well.

Of course, Honda can always rely on inner qualities, praying this would be the key to safe the face of the Euro-R, but that is an area where the 156 has placed various land mines as well. Oh boy, this is going to be a tough battle…

vnidc2.jpg

The most attractive end of the Euro-R is the one you will be watching the least while driving.
POWER PLANT
Bunch of numbers on the 156 plate could never confuse the real Alfista - he knows the meaning behind these values and how important the engine I'm alluding to really is. These numbers present one of many popular Busso V6 engines that have been powering the toughest Alfas for more than a decade. Reputation of these engines is just as important as the rest of the car you get.

The 2.5 litre V6 is probably the most famous one, whose roots were planted back in 1979. In this latest edition it got extra pair of valves which boosted the overall power to 190 hp. Although this number was quite impressive at the time of the engine debut, true virtue lied in its smoothness. Ability to use it on a real-life basis without much sacrifices was praised by many drivers, claiming the 2.5 unit as the best petrol engine Alfa Romeo had ever built. No wonder it won the International Engine Of Year 2000 reward.

But are this attributes strong enough to cope against the Euro-R? I mean, Honda is authoritative inside dome of engines and whenever they release another of these spicy VTEC engines they also manage to achieve impossible, regardless of what model we are talking about. In case of the Euro-R, we have 220 pencils edging in a 2.2 litter pencil sharpener. So, marginally more power from a significantly smaller engine. Undoubtedly, nothing can beat this on paper. But we still need to run the tests…

STR-02101601-kW-Nm-C.png

The famous 2.5 V6 of Alfa Romeo. Although nothing special at first glance, it can serve as a surrogate to the VTEC engines.

And, how did it perform? Well, the Euro-R won as expected, but I wouldn't go that far to claim an easy victory. On acceleration tests the Euro-R struggled to get away from the 156, with the biggest difference occurring upon 100 mph where the Euro-R suddenly picked up some speed and managed to clear the rival with not-so-embarrassing result. Although this is a result of its power, the slightly quicker shifting occurrences helped it pick up the momentum too. Only on the elasticity test the Euro-R managed to win without any struggling, even though the reputation of the V6 unit implied something else. Hm, so much about the V6's smoothness...

Still, the V6 proved to be quite sturdy. I was hoping additional gear (the Euro-R has five gears only) would keep most of its power close to peak values but that didn't happen. Landing zones and the most productive fields are almost identical on both cars regardless of how many gears each car has.

The 156 was supposed to offer better power distribution since the official brochure states peak power to be around 6300 rpm, but in reality the actual value is around 7200 rpm, the Euro-R's level of high-reving. Therefore, standard routine with shifting should be the same; shift at the redline and hope that it won't land too far. I should note though that the 156 may have a slight overall advantage as - hypothetically speaking - the more gears you have, the better usage of power you get. Hence why with some additional power upgrades the Euro-R could struggle to keep its gears usable for both top speed and acceleration, unless you install the FCS gearbox.

Some fine tunes can be heard from both cars in case you ever decide to install some of the muffler attachments. On the 156, the soundtrack ranges from boxer to V8 units. Some of them are more realistic, some aren't, but I can't deny they all sound really cool. Of all of them I would recommend the Sports muffler as it suits to the 156 aggressive appetites. Melodies of the Euro-R are just noisy no matter which one you install, but suitable composed tune may be found with the Racing muffler.

Although in technical field both engines are impressive, the general impression of the engine is higher on the 156 side because it owns one extra gear that attempts to eliminate the issue that is bugging all of the high-rev engines - effective usage of power. Sound is just another strong argument we probably don't have to mention as this whole testing has already distressed the Euro-R enough.

HANDLING
Alfas are well known for their on-track driving abilities, so there is no need to believe opposite will occur with the 156. Major characteristic of its handling is represented through direct steering which makes the 156 extremely responsive and agile on turn-ins. Perfect for sharp turns of the Rome Circuit, I would say.

Once you accommodate yourself to its agile movements you can start flicking that rear end that (even though it posses active rear toe for stability) doesn't seem to be overly stable - but don't forget I made this statement after being influenced by 70 mm longer wheelbase of the Euro-R. Usually I never recommend rear-end sliding with a front-wheel drive car but in this case it can help you point your nose just a little more towards the exit of a corner, which consequently allows you to step on the gas little earlier without sacrificing speed. This takes some practice but once mastered there is no such corner the 156 won't be able to tackle with impressive split times.

The Euro-R is not in mood for such games. Neither can be since its steering is set for smooth and precise cornering without unnecessary dancing. Sure it will dance if you wish for, but it isn't too easy to pull it off. This long wheelbase is here to keep the body in balance. There is nothing wrong with this philosophy on open tracks (on the contrary!) but on city circuits it doesn't work too well. I had a rally hard time trying to preserve a decent clearance between the 156 and in some cases that just wasn't possible. Also, with the reduced steering response the Euro-R needs to pick its lines more carefully whereas the 156 has more space for corrections if you make a mistake.

All this consequently placed me in a position to rely on long straights rather than on corners. Sad, but it is true. Long straights provide explanation why the Euro-R is generally about second faster than the 156. But I have seen this margin dropping to around half of a second which demonstrates in what kind of dangerous situation Euro-R may itself when facing the 156.

1znx74o.jpg

Above: The Euro-R using straights to pull away from the 156. Below: Two sedans at the sharpest corner of the track. Rapid steering movements of the 156 keep the battle tight.
9igr9v.jpg

But the 156 isn't without flaws either. The vital front axle happily responds to your demands, but it is far from being able to bear every trick you come up with. A disruption may occur if a weight of the car is being wildly transferred or if the driver is prone to sudden steering movements. What results in both case is understeer that may upset your previously designated driving line and throw the 156 out of order. The Euro-R can run without mistakes for long time because understeer rarely shows up and its composed behaviour is well suited for relaxed and smooth, but nevertheless, painfully quick driving.

CONCLUSION
Honda did it. Once again, it has proven what we all knew from the start; if they have a representative in one class, there is a good chance it will stay there. Nonetheless, the Euro-R has achieved a pyrrhic victory. Lots of scratches and bruises can't cover the embarrassment the Euro-R has shown by taking the victory (measured by lap times) merely by using the power of the engine. I'm sure the result would have been even more traumatic if we had the SiR on our test.

Given the current situation, the Euro-R continues to serve as a safe, rational choice for those who like to dominate across time trial categories. The 156 on the other hand, is a car built for entertainment and inner pleasure of owning distinctive things. People would say majority of the players are already grown enough not to care about these cars, but why the reality seems to claim otherwise than? I guess we all like to feel young again at times.

MINI STATISTIC
Code:
                              Euro-R       156
0-400m                   ---  0'16.336      0'16.347
0-1000m                  ---  0'29.437      0'29.631
Top speed                ---  152.1 mph     140.1 mph
Braking (100mph > 50mph) ---  49.88 m      49.88 m
0-50mph (3rd gear)       ---  109.43 m      119.09 m
0-75mph (3rd gear)       ---  270.36 m      296.11 m
116tdly.jpg

Last edited:
Legend Of Silver Arrow
Test Circuit: Circuits of the L.S.A. event

Even silver can lose its value if exposed to inapposite treatment. Sometimes I wonder whether the fans of this prestige manufacturer are aware of that. Beneath a huge price and luxury lies great dose of fragility which in a world of Gran Turismo may become extremely vulnerable to my comments. Let's see which of the following cars can prove me otherwise.

Day I

23w1g92.jpg

Mercedes-Benz CL600 '00
(FR, 361hp, 1955kg)

Sophisticated example of the premium class that combines both luxury and performance (let’s call it a mix A) in one attractive coupe. This feat of the engineers deserves ovations without doubts and I'm sure that many illustrissimuses of wealthy private companies won’t regret spending vast amount of money on it. But how in Gran Turismo we do not deal with provoking sad looks of the underpaid labors, the mix A has found itself under my fire.

The CL600 is more gracious than I would like. Active Body Control suspension system keeps the car in balance but its presence overly pushes the car towards understeer. If the driver succeeds in inducing the rear end sliding, in many ways he'll be limited by work of suspension system and expensive electronics.

At that, the CL600 is a heavy car. Excessively so. If you want to drive it fast you have to learn to drive smoothly and precise, which shouldn't be a problem for rich clients, but what about the rest of us? Sometimes that can be fun, although during the fierce competition it mostly becomes a source of troubles, or by my dictionary, frustrations.

Day II

2a01hmb.jpg

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor '99
(FR, 193hp, 1325kg)

How to annul the vanity and pretentiousness surrounding the models of the Mercedes-Benz while keeping all important elements simultaneously?

The little SLK seems to know the answer. It's a hardtop in which you can appear in public without being overshadowed by numerous blatant and jealous comments. It also serves as a proof that you don't have to head deep inside AMG's department to feel a touch of some performance. However, AMG help would be appreciated here as the SLK in terms of speed can't keep up with the two. Even on corners, anemia of the engine overcomes possibilities of the light chassis (light when compared with the two, of course) consequently putting the SLK at great disadvantage. Tuning is necessary. However, maneuvering the vehicle is easy and all handling issues gets highly concealed due to lack of speed. On few occasions it shows slight tendency of his big brother CL600 (understeer on the exit) but the fun is ensured because unlike the big brother, this one won't slide away into a wall when problem emerges.

Day III

34xqlp5.jpg

Mercedes-Benz CLK55 '00
(FR, 347hp, 1570kg)

The CLK 55 already disappointed me once, during the Pan European meeting when it was faced against other sports machines. I thought different scenario could point out its potential in a different way, but pointless your effort is Matej, when a car persistently denies the effort shown by hardworking AMG engineers. Or was it their fault? It doesn’t really matter whose fault is it, but I would be happy if someone could bring me additional data of the road, because clearly I can’t get that from the car itself.

Behavior of the CLK 55 ranges from understeer to oversteer but since the car is never planted as I would like, the estimation of the actions is hardly predictable. Every entry prior to a corner puts you to great torture and uneasiness which is why driving itself is never relaxing and fun as you would expect from a high-powered FR car. Little control and identity can be found on variable-elevated tracks like Trial mountain, but the abilities on majority of others is what concerns me.

One thing that certainly is going to be ensured is exclusivity; that is what AMG badge primarily does. It also quotes fastest lap times and highest top speed which is why it certainly isn’t a bad choice for those who want to clear the event as soon as possible. But that doesn’t mean much if you can’t enjoy it while doing so.

Final Standings
Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor '99
Mercedes-Benz CL600 '00
Mercedes-Benz CLK55 '00​

Conclusion
The final standings of the review can be enumerated depending on one’s preferred priorities and expectations, so I’m going to place fun above everything else. The little SLK meets the given criteria. It remains in your control constantly, allowing you to confidently explore its limits without being threatened by heavy body or capricious behaviors seen on the other two. The only minor bug is the lack of power which prevents the SLK to show how it can really entertain the youngsters driving it. The CL600, although overly polite and even pensioner-tedious at some point, persuades you to search for the limits of the ABC system and play around with nerves of the heavy body. Definitely not for a serious competition but it can offer some learning course, nonetheless. At the end, in spite of the proven speed, the CLK 55 managed to distress me once again. The flow of the ride changes like on lottery and inability to predict it is just unsettling. It is ironic that such mistake can happen to the famous tuner that is supposed to avoid this problems in the first place.

Now I hope you understand how valuable a car can really be.

Last edited:
Arch Enemy No.1
Test Circuit: Laguna Seca
Tires: Simulation (T0) & Normal tires

thumbnail.php

Car: Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R '97
Price: 11,140 Cr.
Power: 63 hp / 7500 rpm
Torque: 73.77 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 700 kg

VS

thumbnail.php

Car: Suzuki Alto Works Sports Limited '97
Price: 12,220 Cr.
Power: 63 hp / 6000 rpm
Torque: 72.32 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 710 kg

PROLOGUE
Whether you like it or not, Kei cars have found their place in Gran Turismo series and it is going to stay that way for a while. Although generally mocked as being painfully slow and tedious, these cars are very good example of how automotive world complies with regulations set by environment. Today we are going to test two representatives of high-powered selection that once competed for 'Crown of 64HP'. Let's speed up!

FIRST IMPRESSION
The world of city cars has always been a charming and crowded place to reside in. Many markets have been increasing their craving for these micro machines which is why the competition has never been so dense as it is now. Lots of manufacturers now enjoy launching various examples of these cars that should point the buyers what to look out for. Unfortunately, not all of them have this privilege.

Kei class is governed by strict dimension and power regulations that comply with tax and insurance policy in Japan. Naturally, a class specialized to that extent doesn’t have predispositions to be effective on other markets. But there is more I’m afraid. These regulations affect, apart from what we already mentioned, general design approach and discretion of the constructors. In other words, the only factor that can prevent these cars from being alike depends on imagination of the engineers. Good examples are hard to find (less so if you check what the previous installment has in offer) but the Mira certainly is one.

It dutifully remains inside prescribed dimensions while at the same time offering plenty of indications that by adopting unusual for the class elements it wants to break free from traditional stereotypes which depict Kei class as cheap and low-budget source of transportation. The Mira does not look cheap at all. Fog lights and both headlights and taillights are one well-composed trio on the entire to-a-point sleek body. Reasonably far from boxy shapes we used to see on microvans and similar rivals of the same class. Sporty look further increases with side-skirts and rear spoiler. Final touch was given with the TR-XX markings that matches well with appropriate wheels and right color. Definitely something for a flippant kid to play with.

And about the colors… Let’s just say Daihatsu is being modest again so three shades is all you are going to get. I suppose that is better than a single choice on the Sirion X4, but why not more if more is merrier? But that is okay, as long as Puro White is available. You don’t want to miss any of perfectly modeled details on this tiny body. You also want to examine the overly conspicuous rear diffuser. I’m quite sure the body could survive without it, but if it increases the performance, its presence could be forgiven.

wl4mrm.jpg

Top of the line Kei cars usually practise extensive usage of aero parts. On some just a handy addition...

So, the Mira attracts customers with the looks. Can the Alto do the same? I’m afraid not. The Alto doesn’t have as reliable background to rely on as the Mira does. If we carefully examine all seventh generations of Alto we may easily deduce that the manufacturer used Alto only to boost general sales and earn profit without paying attention to basic design directions, successfully obeying to traditional Kei stereotypes that way. In spite of this, Alto remained top-seller for many years (something Daihatsu could never achieve), primarily because it was a pioneer in that class, so some dissatisfaction could be ignored.

The introduction of the front face on the Works editions didn’t change the initial impression at all. Those round headlights on the Alto are without doubt the most controversial element of the whole car. It doesn’t make it ugly but rather repulsive to a point and it is obvious that such element requires delicate treatment that you simply can’t find in this class. Clearly more could have been done. Additional front airdam and rear spoiler may be of some consolation but only before you realize they were simply attached to a bone of the RS-Z edition, another top of the line Alto you can find in other GT games. You can also notice the Alto now has color-coded bottom side of the body. Designers were obviously busy that day when brainstorm was expected from them. Not that I complain, but anyone could come up with such simple tricks.

One thing that I do like is 14-inch wheels which in cooperation with strips on both panel sides of the car can create some distinctive photos for your private gallery. Authentic signature on the hood, which ironically resembles level of competitiveness against other cars – Sport Limited - is even better! Nevertheless, when you summarize everything we have seen so far, it is beyond from what the Mira brought.

szu1hc.jpg

... while on others an urgent factor to improve the looks.
Both cars are available for decent amount of money, although the Alto charges extra few bucks for another pair of driven wheels. They seem like a pointless choice near all those high-displacement starter cars, but smart investment in the cheapest turbo kit at the right time will even you up with those guys with ease. Another thing, even though official sheet claims identical numbers for both cars, in next sections you’re going to see that those two aren’t that much identical at all. For a start, let’s move on to power.

POWER PLANT
Every Kei car can boost its power to value of 64, but not all can achieve this result using the same pattern. Daihatsu decided to follow one that includes advance through innovation as a main principle. They mounted the Mira with four-cylinder turbocharged engine, a pioneer in Kei class. Suzuki interpreted this as an affectation, incompetent to jeopardize traditional three-cylinder policy that the Alto uses. What a mistake!

Dissimilarities can be found as soon as you turn ignition key; the Mira awakes with mature and somehow daunting sound, similar to that of old high-displacement cars. Far from well-known buzzing present on the Alto. Apart from the sound, the way the power gets delivered is also different, in spite of identical power and torque figures. It is very rare to see a turbocharged car that distributes its power equally across the most used rpm field and that is exactly what Mira does. Off the top of my head these kind of achievements can be provided only by few very expensive, high-tech, high-displacement engines and we didn’t have to go far from Kei class to find it. Remarkable!
The Alto offers boring and well-known paradigm of usual turbocharged engines; power reaches its peak value at about middle of the rpm field after which drop-off follows. There is nothing here that can impress you, but there is enough space for disappointment. And disappointment is what I experienced, more so than I had expected.

103svhi.jpg
2gyaqno.jpg

On the right: Small but powerful and well-optimized; the ideal turbocharged engine that others can learn from. By Daihatsu.
The Alto did very poorly on acceleration tests, especially when elasticity in 3rd gear was tested. It takes plenty of time for turbo to spin and once it does, unless you are driving with a manual transmission, the Alto will lose small amount of power once you reach the high-rpm field by the redline. With great power availability, a driver in the Mira never concerns about these things. He can also build confidence easily because the Alto is not effective enough in low to mid-rpm field, which is why on slow corners the Mira should have significant advantage. I’m not really sure why the Alto doesn’t deliver response in the area it should, but that is how it has been depicted in other GT games as well.

Eventually the Alto will stop the Mira from pulling away even further, but we have to agree that the general impression is quite a contrast from 'impressive rush in acceleration', like Polyphony Digital describes Alto's performance. The quote rather fits to the Mira that offers decent amount of pep and diligence to keep you amusing for longer period. Nothing unusual here, Daihatsu is known for being the best small-engine manufacturer in the world. The Mira just continues to pamper this reputation.

547iig.jpg

Alto (red) against Mira (blue) on 0-400 m race. Almost unbelievable result.
If driver wishes to challenge some high-powered machines, the Mira will happily join the action with around 170 ponies. Surprisingly, the Alto can offer more, much more. Maximum power can be raised to colossal 230 ponies. This must be some sort of remorse on Suzuki side because nobody could squeeze another turbocharged kit that big (stage 3) inside, unless they are being heavily stimulated by something spiritual. I’m glad they are, but they should’ve kept this inside realistic values a little bit more. Well, you may forget about that once you start pressuring all those 276 HP machines with ease. Kei class is very popular in highly tuned fashion which is why in the next section I’m going to cover both their stock and tuned abilities. To even the odds, the Alto will be equipped with Turbo Kit Stage 2.

HANDLING
With underpowered cars like this two you have to ensure you have plenty of time on disposal and that your patience bar is completely recharged and ready. In addition, simulation tires can reveal some of the hidden features these car naturally hide behind overly sticky compound. If all of these requirements are met, you can sense differences between the two easily.

The Mira cooperates with a driver as a small and light car should, but disputes may appear if he wishes to run away from a corner more aggressively. The front axle will protest and become overly stubborn to comply with your designated directions. The inner wheelspin never occurs because the Mira is initially available with LSD, but understeer does, so gently with accelerator please. Like the Mira is trying to say: Hey man, chill out! I don’t have another axle on which to distribute my power! That is right, these energetic activities should be left for the Alto to deal with.

Its 4WD system pulls out of corners like a train, capable of taking much tighter cornering line. This puts Alto in more advantageous position on very sharp corners (like the final corner by the pit entry) where this agility simply outclasses Mira; at least by judging split sectors per corners - in terms of general lap times, the Mira still has a minor dominance over the Alto. Of course, it is the Mira’s engine that buries effort of the Alto so it never gets a chance to draw attention to itself where that could be possible. Poor Alto.

Our K letters can also teach you how to effectively use brakes, or rather, when not to use them. At this level of performance, majority of corners can be cleared by letting off the accelerator in right moment. This allows weight to transfer from one side of a car to another in more gentle way without upsetting grip of those small tires. This is particularly important for Mira whose front axle bears much greater responsibility overall.

28cn7eu.jpg

Mira glows with determination but on the track it easily succumbs to pressure.
Entirely different scenario occurs if we decide to further test the abilities of our representatives by increasing the potential of their engines. To ensure such callousness will leave an effect we have to switch over to 'Normal' tires. This gives us just enough amount of grip to focus on suspension work.

POWER UP !
The idea was to remove all quirks of the engines so that we can monitor suspension work only. Specs and parts fitted on both:

Mira TR-XX - 169 hp on 623 kg
Alto Works - 163 hp on 631 kg

Racing Muffler
Port Polish
Full-Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Full Racing Gearbox (Auto set to 22)
1.5 Way LSD
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Racing Intercooler
Weight Reduction 3

Now the let off technique you’ve mastered on the Mira will extend its implementation to the Alto as well. The more we increase our new-found cornering speed, the more nervous our Alto gets. Once we cross its brink of tolerance, Alto will kneel down, become unresponsive and slide on all four tires away from desired cornering line. At that moment it becomes transparent how weight of a car doesn’t mean a thing if tires are too skinny and body construction too weak to cope with such pace.

Of course, that doesn’t mean our Alto can’t run at the pace. There will be plenty of warnings from Alto’s side to discourage you from doing several things at the same time. In other words, brake before corners and control the flow of cornering with acceleration pedal. This will ensure that train-like grip and agility seen before remains within reach. On corner entries this is of major importance for avoiding understeer.

erxz89.jpg

Alto won’t find its place in the spotlight until you break its innocence with some mechanical upgrades.

The acceleration technique is even more important on the Mira, it requires altered application as obstacles that the Mira has to undergo manifests differently. The howls of tires and chassis now overbears fairly strong amount of understeer that jams output the Mira will try to send you. This happens because the front axle now bears even more responsibility, so traditional FF disease naturally gets more pronounced than anything else. It is important to gradually increase and reduce amount of throttle and give the axle enough time to settle down and recover its strength. That way understeer will calm down and you will be able to listen what this tiny body has to say. After all, the wheelbase is 35 mm shorter in relation to Alto’s, so it needs that amount of care.

While Alto’s repressed understeer allows for clear monitoring of body movement, on the Mira is completely opposite - the latter is well concealed. Aftermarket suspension kits and LSD (which is mandatory tool now) may help you distinguish one from another. If you ignore all this guidelines the Mira will simply start protesting and you will end up going wide again – but this time even on mid-corner sections. Slightly more space you’re given on corner entries where the Mira can be slightly directed even with brakes applied. Don’t get overly ambitious though, speed still isn’t high enough that you could gain some advantage by doing that. I do have to mention that brakes on the Mira stops the car slightly sooner.

In highly tuned situations FF cars always become vulnerable and require more concentration and skills. Driver’s usual crave for power now turns the table on Mira so the advantage it had over the Alto while both of them were stock is gone; in these conditions lap times can be over half of the second faster even if driver is not that good. Hm, he who laughs last, laughs longest, says Alto while pulling away from a series of corners.

And for the record, oversteer on both cars can be induced only by artificial methods (applying handbrake or mounting uneven tires). Well, Kei cars can never benefit from being tossed around corners. Short wheelbase will pull the entire car into one big slide, affecting your laps negatively.

CONCLUSION
The conclusion of the review can be easily brought. If you are looking for a Kei car that should serve only in stock form, relax yourself and let the Mira drag you to its side. Even on places where the Mira isn’t as adaptive as the Alto is, the quality of the engine will ensure complete domination whenever you want it. And by adopting fetching design, Daihatsu assures the Mira won’t be abandoned easily. And they are right.

At least until a player decides to reach for the stars and insult those high-powered inflated machines. Possible? Yes, but only in the Alto. Let’s put aside the fact it can gain significantly more power in general; the 4WD system makes you forget about all these traction issues and give yourself over to fun. It is also much easier to drive and can live without mechanical adjustments for quite long time. There is no more doubt now that the Alto Works really works.

Some of you may still be wondering why I’m making such fuss over Kei cars. Why would someone care about these underpowered machines among all the cars the game offers initially and afterwards? True, Kei class may not offer you great sensation of speed, but they can teach you to rely purely on your driving abilities instead of HP values. And when the moment comes to reach for one – you will appreciate it even more. Special knowledge can be gained about tires and weight effects too. Something people driving bigger cars can’t obtain.

And to conclude, if you ever feel limited by their performance - do not yell, console them; no matter how much you want them to pretend, in reality they are nothing more than simple city cars with ability to squeeze in where other cars can't. Sometimes that can be of great importance too.

MINI STATISTIC
Code:
                              Mira      Alto
0-400m                   ---  0'19.799      0'20.717
0-1000m                  ---  0'36.923      0'38.756
Top speed                ---  106.1 mph     104.6 mph
Braking (80mph > 50mph) ---  25.74 m      28.96 m
0-40 mph (3rd gear)       ---  98.16 m      140.01 m
0-60 mph (3rd gear)       ---  273.58 m      360.49 m
n221hi.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! I just found this thread now, but I must say you do a great job with these reviews. Very through and informative, you touch all the important points of the car. Even with a game as old as GT3, dedicated people like you can do great reviews. And it shows. :)👍

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for now on. Good luck with your future reviews! :cheers:

Hours Of Le Mans - Legends
Mode: Arcade Mode
Test Circuit: Midfield Raceway, Special Stage R11
Tires: Default Arcade tires

This weekend I was given a chance to sneak into Le Mans 24 Hall of Fame and test three most recognized Japanese legends that marked strong presence of their nation on motorsport scene long time ago. They have proved themselves to public and fans when they were required and now they are doing the same in virtual world of Gran Turismo on pro bono basis. But for how long I wonder? We are going to find out which of their qualities deserve to live on for eternity.

Day I
2ild4dc.jpg

Mazda 787B '91
(MR, 690hp, 830kg)
Mazda was too shy and modest to effectively use Le Mans victory of the 787B for boosting the reputation of the entire company, which is why this task was assigned to the virtual generation of PlayStation - us. But achieving the victory during the 1991 season of Le Mans wasn’t nearly as hard as saying few words about this charismatic legend of automotive history. That is why I’m going to start with driving impressions immediately to avoid further embarrassment.

By acquiring the 787B you gain the access to brutal power-weight ratio of 1.203 which doesn’t leave any place for doubting its dominance and speed in dog-fight battles. However, such power comes with great responsibility (as we know), so don’t be surprised if you rub against concrete wall every now and then. Understeer can sometimes be very ruthless, to a point that it coerces you to unexpectedly brake on mid-corner sections. You should also commence with the turning much earlier as delay between your input and output from the front tires occasionally exists.

Quite a drag to deal with, but that flaw is what continuously motivates you to set more and more laps. I’ve been told some other cars can do the same with different approach so I’m eager to find out what I’m going to experience tomorrow.

Day II
28lazyo.jpg

Toyota GT-One Race Car '99
(MR, 651hp, 900kg)
Although the GT-One never managed to achieve so desperately wanted victory at Le Mans event, for the video-game community, it already has the title of the most eminent race car in the genre.

The main difference between the 787B and the GT-One lies in the period of technology development that separates the two. Since the 787B retired from the scene, lots of regulations have changed. I’m aiming at those that degraded general speed and - on quid pro quo basis - increased handling refinement. The GT-One doesn’t succumb to changes in chassis behaviour like the 787B does. There is no need to calculate prior cornering as grip of the car instills confidence.

Special compliments go to stability of the GT-One at corner entries. The harmony it advertises through corners with the road reduces effects of the weight transfer, bonding to your heart quickly. Very astonishing ability that rarely appears in this class. Steering also deserves a praise. I don’t think there is a corner that wouldn’t like to participate in this smooth harmony of precision and swiftness.

A well-rounded package like this one can be driven successfully even with basics skills, which is why it is so popular choice among fans. The only weakness seems to be the rear traction that occasionally vanishes if aggressive dose of torque on sharp corners is applied. But if we ignore this minor issue we have plenty of strong attributes that ensure total dominance on all circuits. Hm, let’s knock on the wood for that, we still need to run the notorious R390.

Day III
20prabp.jpg

Nissan R390 GT1 LM Race Car '98
(MR, 641hp, 900kg)
We all remember this one, don’t we? The car that took down many unprepared drivers willing to ambitiously test their skills in Gran Turismo All Stars event of the Pro League. Maybe there was a period in GT series history during which the R390 didn’t get the required attention, but in this game it successfully redeems itself, surrounded with such mysterious and glamorous aura.

Comparison with the GT-One is now open for dispute and there are many arguments on the R390’s side, even though I can’t explain backing of each. Steering is not as complaisant as on the GT-One, yet it points the car just enough to clear the corners in one gentle and smooth fashion. The body was given more freedom to be affected by weight transfer on corner entries, though I don’t interpret this as a drawback; in many occasions the R390 set potentially faster lap times. Traction on the rear axle is the best of the three and it will be of great use in case you turn off TCS.

But one thing that surprised me a lot was the fact that I didn’t feel presence of understeer on the GT-One until I transferred to the R390. It certainly posses some inner strength that can tear down the GT-One to pieces, but due to being set up on a gentle side, this ability remains deeply suppressed. Maybe that is why it isn’t that fun to drive.

Final Standings
Mazda 787B '91
Toyota GT-One Race Car '99
Nissan R390 GT1 LM Race Car '98

Conclusion
Diverse characteristics hidden beneath each legend let you experience ticking of the famous French clock in several ways. Which tune you will find catchy depends on your own driving preferences.

The GT-One will happily correspond to aggressive cornering and rapid steering movements whereas the R390 may be useful to drivers who prefer to race on winding circuits and dislike usage of driving assist commodity. The GT-One’s tune is also more entertaining as all trump cards are laid on surface for you to use it anytime, there aren’t concealed as on the R390.

Unfortunately, neither of the two can match the 787B. Several barriers present as a result of lacking refinement encourages the driver to seek solutions inside his own driving abilities rather than relying purely on the stickiest tires available. Obviously the job won’t be that easy as all activities occur at extremely high speeds, so there is plenty of room for mistakes. However, those who want to feel some sort of progress will be surprised with the amount of entertainment this car can provide. And once you hear the exhaust melody you’ll know it is worth withstanding all the pain.

Last edited:
Where did you get that picture with 2 cars? Through 2 player mode, right?
Yes, I aligned both cars and took the shot. Prior doing it, I had to do few laps around the track to scoop every possible camera angle the game offers you. And then you have to bring them one by one to meeting point. :)

Yes, I aligned both cars and took the shot. Prior doing it, I had to do few laps around the track to scoop every possible camera angle the game offers you. And then you have to bring them one by one to meeting point. :)
and not let one roll away in the meantime

Rider And The Horse
Test Circuit: Various
Tires: Simulation (T0) tires

Evaluation of MX-5 Miata models in Gran Turismo 3

2d15w6g.jpg

Not every car manufacturer can enjoy the privilege of seeing the entire circuit being booked for one particular group of models, but that is exactly what Mazda eventually managed to achieve in Gran Turismo. Total of 40 laps at Apricot Hill Raceway with Miata models awaits only the most committed fans and enthusiasts.

The superlative most committed sure is reasonable; unless you really like driving Miata around the circuit over and over again, you could find this event a bit too odious. Hm, Miatas must posses something very important, otherwise Polyphony Digital wouldn’t be playing with nerves of the players by wasting disc space on tedious events like this one. Today we recall what we tend to forget about this legendary roadster.

fom22o.jpg

The first generation Miata racing at Apricot Hill Raceway.
Considering that the Miata is a regular guest in Gran Turismo series, it is automatically one of those cars which frequent presence may raise your blood pressure and proportionally reduce desire to play the game any further. But unlike some other models that share the same cliché pedestal, Miata is a car that can be easily digested if we observe its qualities from a different perspective. What I’m alluding to? We’ll see about that later, let’s beat around the bush a bit more. Bear with me, will you?

Time to say few things about MX-5, Eunos Roadster or MX-5 Miata, depending on the market the car was selling on. Since its release in 1989, Mazda has sold more than 900,000 Miatas, of which around 400,000 belong to the first generation known as NA. Its dispersion is so big that it can be found all over the world, even in countries you would never expect it to appear. For instance, Croatian Miata club counts around 100 members and the number has been steadily increasing. The Miata is also a car that continuously receives various praises from critics, showing no intentions to reduce the flow of praises. Remarkable, considering the fact the car has been present on the market for 25 years, being produced on almost identical paradigm.

But what does the Miata really offer that could explain such overwhelming attention from the community? Primarily we are talking about the concept of the light and simple car with front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout which per se vigorously increases driving pleasure, something you can’t expect to receive from regular cars these days. And indeed, if we observe the entire market it is almost impossible to find a car that shares characteristics of a Miata.

All those cars nowadays have bunch of electronics and kilos to carry around, desperately trying to prove to vintage drivers good-old joy of driving can still be found. Well, they are all wrong and that is why we're glad a roadster like Miata exists. The Miata is fun, but also a cheap car. To buy some other proper RWD car that could courageously face the Miata you usually have no choice but to visit higher, privileged class, for which you have to isolate quite a bulky amount of money. In other words, the world acts differently today and as long as Miata is available to the drivers, that little, great part of automotive history will continue to live on.

wk4i1d.jpg

Another thrilling chase at Apricot Hill Endurance. The 1.8 RS is pressuring the '89 model.

Now it is time to focus on Gran Turismo 3 and Miatas we have there. If you want to pay a decent homage to specific model via an endurance event, you have to make sure that several editions are on players’ disposal, otherwise what are you trying to do won’t make any sense. Luckily, this is not the case in this game.

There was enough room on the disc available to fit total of four models, two of which belong to the first generation (known as NA) and two to the second generation (known as NB). And while on the NB generation the nomenclature was executed quite successfully, the NA generation may lead us to a confusion.

The more expensive model produced in 1989 is a pioneer of the entire Miata lineup, distinguished by the 1.6 litre engine and Mariner Blue colour. For hundred credits less you can opt for what it seems to be the 1993 edition. It weighs 40 kilos more due to additional safety enhancements on the chassis, but somehow compensates with the 1.8 litre engine that produces few more ponies. The suspension was allegedly altered and gearbox system shortened, yet it seems that the gearbox chart along with the values of each and final gear doesn’t match the theory. Given that the gearbox was returned to original ratio on 1995 version and that Montego Blue and Chaste White chips were introduced in the same year along with the 1.8 litre engine, I have to conclude that Polyphony Digital mixed distinctions of two models into one. As far as this review is concerned, I’ll depict the cheaper model as the ’95 version. It can be recognized by tiny little body extensions near each rear tire when looking from behind.

I also have to point out that certain prize Miata models in the game come with special colours and rims that naturally imply we have more than four models in the game (much like in GT4). However, as I didn't have enough time to collect them all and check them out, I'll presume all of them are based on the four models you can buy, difference being in exterior only. Be free to correct me and provide needed data in case you have any of those prize Miatas.

2qi34ls.jpg

Close-up of the '95 model. More informations about the first generation can be found online. Books, guides and webpages - all dedicated to vast number of spawned versions.
So, which of these two NA models should we buy? Usually when several identical models of a car are available, players do not have enough patience to test every single model or search the internet for possible distinctions between each. In that case default colour palette happens to be the main factor that leads to a conclusion. Well, I frankly hope the palette of the ‘89 version is the one you like because that is the one model I would recommend.

The ‘95 version offers more pep and it proved to be faster on straights. Still, due to strengthened chassis and suspension system the car is slightly more rigid on corners which reduces overall fun factor to a small degree. The distinction is not as obvious on Normal tires as it is on Simulation ones, though. Prior to a corner entry the ’95 version hesitates a bit longer before it ultimately capitulates to cornering forces or throttle inputs. If that is not of much importance to you it would be recommended to take the ’89 version because it allows for more agile entries (or occasionally exits) and that is what Miata is all about.

When we consider general handling of both cars there isn’t much to discuss about; fairly balanced cars that keep all sliding (regardless of how it gets induced) inside a friendly domain. If you stomp on the acceleration pedal too soon, they tend to understeer which can be quite uncomfortable, but you will learn how to avoid it. Miata is very fast as long as you allow rear end to skid just a little bit. Troubles may occur once you start messing around with power upgrades, so don’t forget to install decent suspension kit or even turn on the TCS. The ’95 version may be more useful in this situations because the more rigid chassis won’t have that much problem coping with power upgrades.

So it is solved! The ’89 version is better. As mentioned previously, several special colours can be won along the career mode, so find the one that matches your personality. I bought my example in Silver Stone and immediately felt a desire for a cup of white coffee. See? The saddle is already mounted and adjusted to our body. I hope we won’t fall off the horse in the next chapter…

2wq7j8g.jpg

The 1.8 RS trying to hit some cones. Don’t let the colour deceive you; while certainly distinctive there is nothing evolutionary beneath the body.

For all those who are subject to corpulent and youthful contours, two models of the second (NB) generation will satisfy the appetite. Both cars are available with the 1.8 litre engine which somehow manages to compensate for the weight increase that now doesn’t hesitate to hit four-digit number. Six-speed gearbox is a new addition to the generation, but the most obvious modification was done in suspension department, now set for fast and safe cornering.

Unfortunately, I can’t say this can be deemed as an improvement at least when pure driving is concerned. Description of the model in Evolution Orange Mica at the dealership was obviously written for another model because I don’t see a reason why all those praises should be applied to the 1.8 RS, given that it is disappointing to drive. Understeer at corner entries doesn’t allow you to position the car as you would like and continue controlling it with accelerator when the time comes; instead, the freedom of expressing you driving skills will be allowed only on exits when most of us would’ve already given up by then.

For that matter, sometimes it can be very hard to control the bearing of the car with acceleration pedal to a degree that you could start wondering why such pep is not present when weight shifts off the rear axle. In terms of general behaviour, the ’95 NA model isn’t much better either, but at least it keeps the same level of vitality on both entries and exits of a corner, which is why it gets much easier to accustom to the restrained handling.

I’m afraid that in terms of power delivery there are also arguments that don’t go in favour of the 1.8 RS. The engine is anaemic and a bit sluggish, it just doesn’t seem to be a good choice for this model. In addition, I found that the ’95 edition is just marginally slower than the 1.8 RS on straights. Considering everything we have said so far, there are plenty of reasons why you should avoid the 1.8 RS.

2vs1zjn.jpg

The LS can be recognized by bigger tires, two interesting shades of blue colour, different tail lights and added fog lights.
Don’t worry, the top of the lineup LS model significantly improves the initial impression of the second generation. The LS inherits many characteristics of the base ’89 model. Agility on corner entries returns and even understeer has been reduced a bit. Power is not missing either; with the engine upgraded to around 150 ponies other Miatas will be totally overwhelmed on corners and straights. This model managed to merge power with fun and apologize in the name of the disappointing 1.8 RS.

However, I feel it was raised in environment that gets influenced by modern principles and safety regulations. That trace could be found on the 1.8 RS as well and we have already mentioned it before; the recreational part of handling is biased towards corner exits, probably under assumption that young drivers these days shouldn’t experience the hazardous moments of playing on the edge of control on approach to corners. Power-sliding around using the throttle is believed to be more safer and attractive activity to pretentious Drift Kings of the modern age. I agree on the safety part, but the attractive part is just absurd.

Besides, the problem with the LS (and consequently the 1.8 RS) is that even powerslide is not well optimized; how much the car will slide is hardly measurable and it takes a touchy thumb or foot to control it gradually. If you are not careful, the LS may slide a bit too much and if you don’t try hard enough, the advanced chassis will hardly allow for a decent slide. The ’89 model can be throttled easily and doesn’t give much care to safety on corner entries – which is something I greatly appreciate! I do have to agree that available power on the LS can make the entire training more dynamic and thus fun, but just imagine what the more balanced ’89 model could do if it had the same level of power.

Nevertheless, the LS greatly follows the outline of the ’89 model, which is why it is going to take the second place. The ’95 model (apart from pure speed) offers nothing that would make you change your mind regarding selection of the first generation Miata, even though Polyphony Digital’s description claims they returned to original form after the debacle with ’93 model. At least is better than the 1.8 RS, which should search for the limelight somewhere else.

Final Standings
Mazda MX-5 Miata '89
Mazda MX-5 Miata LS '00
Mazda MX-5 Miata '95
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS '98

This compact review of the Miata lineup indicates a very unsatisfying but expected deduction that new generation Miatas are steadily suffocating the driving pleasure initially set in 1989. Current Miatas have already become very competitive machines with the help of modern technology but to be honest, it certainly gets hard to conform with Jinba ittai principle given that the same technology is working against it. I’m sure Mazda will do anything to provide enjoyment that Miata drivers want, although there are several expectations they won’t be able to meet ever again. That is why I’m happy that the old NA generation is still available in video games because with their disappearance, veterans of circuit racing will lose their only reminiscence of fun and affordable part of automotive history.

289wx3p.jpg

Last edited:
makes me want an mx-5
Agree on that. Yesterday, after posting the Miata review, I had enough inspiration to take one for a ride in GT4. Sadly, general handling is set towards understeer, so it wasn't as fun as it was in GT3. But I do like collecting all sorts of trim levels, there are so many of them.

and not let one roll away in the meantime
That is why you have a handbrake to pull. ;)

Overshadowed
Test Circuit: Grand Valley Speedway
Tires: Racing Medium (T5) tires

Surrounded by chain of barely mediocre results, they tend to be quickly forgotten. Today they live owing to the wealth of web sources and video games. Is the virtual world of Gran Turismo the place where they can finally get their own minute of fame?

Day I
28mdb9v.jpg

Gillet Vertigo Race Car '97
(FR, 406hp, 803kg)
Surprisingly very little is known about the Vertigo and its parent house Gillet, obscure Belgian automobile manufacturer founded by Tony Gillet, a former racing driver. We do know it participated on several Belcar and FIA GT occasions, but to be honest, the early results mostly discourages you to continue searching for its roots.

Not in Gran Turismo 3 though. With slightly enhanced performances the Vertigo will easily pepper trophies to Tony’s name. Compact dimensions and peculiar design imply that we’re dealing with some vicious and frisky little devil here, that may poses a threat to every single competitor on the track. In most cases that is true. It grips like a go-kart and can’t be thrown out of balance that easily. Even though it lacks adequate power it is surprisingly light, so it can tackle the most powerful cars in the class, assuming that the driver is very good. Luckily, you won’t have to spend to much time polishing your skills as the learning curve of the Vertigo’s handling isn’t difficult at all. Few quick entries into corners will give you enough courage to execute several violent maneuvers that on other cars would be hardly controllable, even when sufficient skills are mastered.

Generally it doesn’t have flaws, but there are two things on which you should pay attention. Its nature, no matter how wild it seems to be, occasionally likes to be tamed by understeer so, response on the front end is something you should work on. Once the rear axle losses its composure you shouldn’t control bearing of the body with acceleration pedal as the car will simply spin out in no time; for quick exits alert thumb or TCS is required. I also found that soft suspension settings provide more comfortable and transparent behavior, but that is up to driver to decide.

My final impression is that the car offers comprehensive amount of fun, which is why I’m not very pleased to see it gone from the future GT installments.

Day II
34xgt46.jpg

Lister Storm V12 Race Car '99
(FR, 576hp, 1438kg)
Colossal Storm built its modest career by participating in FIA GT Championship and British GT series at the beginning of the current millennium. This particular version with yellow and dark green liveries that competed in 1999 is probably the least known, although massive and interesting appearance does a great job in contributing to the popularity among the gamers. Sadly, once you head out to a track, this premise collapses immediately.

For a start, forget about keeping up with the Vertigo. While the top speed and acceleration can be matched somehow, performance on corners can’t. Due to being around 300 kg heavier than a real counterpart suggests, the Storm is simply incapable of keeping up the same cornering speed as rivals of this class are expected to. Not that the Storm has some quirks in handling, it is just the law of physics that prohibits the Storm from running fast by taking simple numbers into calculation. In other words, the Storm is slow. Simple as that.

If you respect its, I would say embarrassing limits, it will be fairly predictable and agile as long as you don’t overdo in corners. If that happens, your reckless activities will be punished by huge body roll. After all, we are talking about the amount of weight that is hardly controllable even by pros. On corner exits this is of particular problem because the rear axle struggles to retain grip, so it tows the entire body into one big slide. Delicate control of the acceleration button helps a lot and I suggest you to learn it as the rear end sliding is a natural way of entering a corner with this car; you just may find yourself in various slippery situations. By rotating bearing of the car with acceleration pedal you also eliminate understeer and make cornering fairly fast and fun.

Nevertheless, this kind of plays in general is lame and completely unacceptable for this class and level of power. If such handling won’t stop you than poor tire wear surely will limit your already relative competitiveness against rivals. I believe someone should deserve proper slapping for ruining a gem like this one.

Day III
258yyz8.jpg

Tickford Falcon XR8 Race Car '00
(FR, 582hp, 1350kg)
The weather yesterday was much worse than I had expected. It 'stormed' the entire last night, and I forgot to bring my umbrella. Even so, I went out to make preparations for the today’s XR8. I got soaked, but honestly, why should I care? The XR8 sounds as good as the Storm and runs much better. Agility on corners is impressive and the feel of enormously planted and rigid body is just incomparable. You can actually feel that the flat, medium-paced circuits are its beat. The weight doesn’t move a lot which greatly contributes to stability on corner entries and allows you to push the car to its limits. Lack of punch in torque department that affects acceleration and general speed and slightly higher tendency to understeer will even up the laps at first, but eventually the XR8 will overmatch the Storm. The only real problem is the grip of the rear axle when rush exits from corners are required, which is why the active TCS should be one of your priorities prior racing, more so given that the XR8 is significantly heavier than the Vertigo. Nevertheless, all that can’t ruin the experience the car ensures.

This XR8 was driven by Glenn Seton at 2000 season of V8 Supercars series, during which it managed to score several 3rd places at best. Here, with good effort and luck, the top podiums are all yours.

Final Standings
Tickford Falcon XR8 Race Car '00
Gillet Vertigo Race Car '97
Lister Storm V12 Race Car '99

Conclusion

The final conclusion can be brought based on your own driving preferences. The Vertigo offers hours of fun and opportunity to further examine various ways of overcoming AI bots on corners. The XR8 will please mostly V8 Supercar fans, although it can do miracle to drivers seeking additional challenge too, considering how it requires more concentration and planning to achieve respectable times. For that reason I found it to be more entertaining and rewarding choice. And lastly, the Storm. Unforgivable inattention on Polyphony side ruined otherwise a very promising experience. A desire to act with such grandiose construction in a way it deserves is limited by loads of weight which in the long run results in nothing but frustration. And there is no place for such term in my own driving domain.

Last edited:
Another good review, enjoyed seeing the unknown race cars get the spotlight they deserve. Surprised to hear that the Lister did so badly, but since I haven't driven all three cars (should do that one day), I can't really speak for experience.

The Storm's specs are wrecked in GT, even in GT6 they are still off.

This is probably true for all three cars in their home markets, but in Australia, everyone knows all about the XR8. Interesting how it won, as it's just a touring car, unlike most of it's rivals in GT which are more like the crazy FIA supercars like the Vertigo and Storm, as well as later in the GT series the McLaren F1 and the like.

Comments appreciated ! You can all be free to share your own experience with any car. I write as objectively as possible, but when you have to place cars in specific order, everything depends mostly on individual standpoints.

Important announcements:

* The Which Starter Car Should I Buy review has been renamed to My Precious Starter Car. The review of each car has been extended and rephrased with more details and news. I have also added Bonus Materials part where interesting numbers can be seen, such as lap and machine test times, maximum stats, etc. This review now features everything you need to know about your starter car.

* Hours Of Le Mans - Veterans review has replaced Hours Of Le Mans - Supporters. This review was written as a triathlon-type review, featuring completely different overview of covered cars. Oh, and the Storm is out.

The Sly Cooper review featuring Cooper 1.3i has been drastically updated with useful informations and photos.

The Beat Of The Rising Sun review featuring 276hp cars has been updated massively; many cars now feature expanded details about their behavior. As on starter car review, you can now compare lap and machine test times, which is probably going to be a welcome addition. Some cars haven't received the update yet, but I'll cover all of them soon. You can recognize those who have by looking at the verdict at the bottom of each review - edited reviews have space separating text from the verdict.

I treat all reviews as new, so be sure to check them out. :) I worked on grammar and visual appearance of each review. All reviews are listed on the OP along with their links.

Last edited:
Hours Of Le Mans - Fictive Supporters
Mode: Simulation Mode*
Test Circuit: Tokyo Route 246
Tires: Racing Medium (T5) tires
TCS/ASM: 1/0

* The exception is the Zonda Race Car, tested in Arcade Mode. Notice how torque values of each prize car in garage is stated in Nm, so I converted them to ft.lb. Cars tested in Simulation mode used the following settings:

Springs: 6.0-6.0
Ride Height: Max.
D. Bound: 4-4
D. Rebound: 6-6
Camber: 2.0-1.0
Toe: 0-0
Anti-roll: 3-3
Brakes: 9-9
LSD: 10-30-20
Gearbox: Auto-set to 34
Downforce: Max.
VCD*: 30%

* if available

thumbnail.php

Car: Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car '01
Price: Complete either Dream Car Championship (Amt.) or Tokyo 246 (Endurance) event
Drivetrain: FR
Power: 572 hp / 7500 rpm
Torque: 428.15 ft.lb / 6500 rpm
Weight: 1050 kg

The seeds were planted, now it is up to others to decide how the plant will turn out. Mazda sent its pillar of the lineup to compete on 24 Hours of Le Mans event back in the 80’s, but the results were overly mediocre considering the reputation this car has built afterwards. Besides, once the 787B managed to achieve overall victory in 1991, everything the RX-7 had or hadn’t managed to achieve by that moment simply didn’t matter anymore. However, with the latest generation of RX-7, Mazda was given another chance to return to motorsport scene in a way it deserves, while Polyphony anticipates how flashy that return could be.

From my perspective, the general idea was to include important elements that identify this manufacturer. For that matter, the RX-7 LM is allegedly equipped with twin turbo, triple-rotor Wankel engine found in Eunos Cosmo (JC) which per se offers enough peculiarity, especially when it sounds as good as it does in the RX-7 LM. Blemish can't be find in handling department either; the RX-7 LM is one of the most competitive Le Mans cars in the game, well measured according to its road-going reputation. Weight transfer occurs progressively and smoothly, allowing you to drive at high speeds safely and competitively. This affects the overall response of the chassis, so on several corners actions must be committed on time to avoid uncomfortable consequences. Most people won't be bothered though, as the car, even on this setup, is already well prepared for any further adjustments you would like to do in this field.

thumbnail.php

Car: Honda S2000 LM Race Car '00
Price: Complete either Dream Car Championship (Amt.) or Trial Mountain (Endurance) event
Power: 586 hp / 9500 rpm
Torque: 339.42 ft.lb / 8500 rpm
Weight: 1050 kg

The S2000 has been steadily replacing all the pieces the legendary NSX had managed to merge together. This gives Polyphony enough material to speculate possible racing variants.

In comparison with the RX-7 LM on the same setup, the S2000 LM acts like a car with lower center of gravity. That allows the chassis to respond to driver’s inputs more quickly, own more downforce on corners and riposte after slide more vigorously. Certainly, the S2000 LM is a rigid car, capable of being agile even on gentle, civilian settings. However, if you want to match lap times set be the RX-7 LM, you have to bear in mind that several actions may occur abruptly without previous notice of any kind. The RX-7 LM carefully succumbs to the pressure the more you push it to the maximum, whereas on the S2000 LM that maximum is when possible threats (like the understeer which never brings advantage on this track) may suddenly emerge - everything up to that point is enjoyable ride.

Different driving style and tuning approach required to bring the best from both is what separates the RX-7 LM and S2000 LM. The lack of torque (the only NA model in the group) doesn't seem to have effect on the overall speed, but just to be on the safe side - stay away from acceleration tests.

thumbnail.php

Car: Chevrolet Camaro Race Car '97
Price: Complete American Championship (Amt.) event
Power: 592 hp / 7000 rpm
Torque: 501.54 ft.lb / 4500 rpm
Weight: 1160 kg

The Camaro LM should be perceived as a surrogate of the Corvette C5R, where slightly more composed behavior and underpowered engine perfectly fit the definition. Its weight and sleepy appearance, factors that are desperately trying to insert the car in some sort of racing scenario, are actually pushing the Camaro LM out of the S2000's and RX-7's league. However, it remains to be fast enough to cope against the Altezza LM.

The simplicity of the rules the car enforces to be driven successfully is what separates the Camaro LM from the Altezza LM. You can easily let the rear end slide and then use throttle to progressively navigate the car's nose out of the corner. Simple and effective drifting ability is the car's main weapon that will be appreciated by many amateur drivers. However, this technique is useful only on circuits with sharp corners; on those where high-paced beat is required, the Altezza LM with its huge body work will have the edge. Another problem is that the Camaro LM is not very engaging choice, so people wishing to experience thrilling moments may remain disappointed.

What will eventually attract customers is better agility and fine balance of the axles which don't need much pampering via tuning, so pushing the car to its quite limited limits won't be overly laborious task.

thumbnail.php

Car: Toyota Altezza LM Race Car '98
Price: Complete Altezza Championship (Amt.) or Vitz Race (Pro.) or Laguna Seca 200 (Endurance) event
Power: 597 hp / 8000 rpm
Torque: 450.42 ft.lb / 4000 rpm
Weight: 1150 kg

Considering the dull and unobtrusive portrait of the base Altezza, Polyphony did marvelous job on this Le Mans version. Grandiose and daunting appearance was ensured with extensive aero kits and headlights, while open imagination took care of the engine power to ensure that none of its rivals will be in more advantageous position. Good, flashy presence is ensured, but our Altezza LM can trip somewhere else.

Often too much understeer can be experienced on corner entries, not allowing for agility as much as I would like. If you further sweeten the problem with abrupt weight transferring, the front axle won't be able to retain the grip, so your cornering speed will become very unfortunate. Patience is required to place the car in position where you can freely control the car's movement via acceleration pedal, don't forget that.

Tossing the rear end around corners in favor of oversteer won't produce desirable effect, so use the Altezza LM for gripping. I also feel that the car delivers massive downforce potential to your disposal, but due to unusual synergy between the suspension system and downforce itself, that delivery is never successful. It can be fast, but it requires different suspension tuning and good track to be raced on - I found high-paced ones to be its comfortable choice. In general, it is as fast as the Camaro LM, but more demanding to drive in a very inappropriate way and thus, not as fun. Luckily, great exhaust soundtrack compensates for the trouble you will experience, so different players will bring different calls. Stopping power is great, maybe among the best in the class.

Oh, and... use first-person camera if possible. Big and clumsy body reduces visibility, often so important on this level of power and speed.

thumbnail.php

Car: Jaguar XJ220 Race Car '92
Price: Complete GT World Championship (Pro.)
Drivetrain: MR
Power: 542 hp / 7000 rpm
Torque: 472.48 ft.lb / 4500 rpm
Weight: 1320 kg

Surprised to see your favorite car disgraced by judgment of mine? Blame Polyphony.

For a start, they should have removed some of its weight. I don't understand how racing edition can be as heavy as its road-going model, but that is probably just a minor unsettling things about Polyphony's modus operandi. Next, as with all MR cars, the XJ220 oversteers once you lift-off the throttle while the opposite occurs when the opposite is being done. This MR cocktail can be reduced by stiffening suspension system, particularly on the rear end, but be careful of abrupt behaviors afterwards. The steering system is another element on which you should work on - it often isn't as direct as I would like. Even so, the biggest problem is the lack of one additional gear. Because the engine is deemed as turbocharged, set to produce the best at high revs, lots of power may be lost once you stretch those gears, particularly if you upgrade the car with the most expensive turbo kit. In general, the car is not very fast, but if you spend plenty of moments accelerating trough corners, it is probably the best at matching competitive average cornering speeds - well-known virtue of all MR cars.

The car itself is not very enjoyable to drive because traditional MR issues are quite visible and often tiring, not to mention that very little was done to separate road-going from racing version. Model found in GT4 is likely going to be more popular due to increased potential in power and weight departments. Here in GT3 there are so many better race cars to start with and the XJ220 is clearly not among them. Some of you will find these statements ironic given how the XJ220 is very hard to obtain as a prize car, but after everything I have experienced with cars in this series, it should be amusing. Of course, I doubt this thoughts of mine will reach any of you fans - this is XJ220, after all. Gee...

Verdict: :indiff:/:grumpy:

thumbnail.php

Car: Subaru Impreza LM Race Car '01
Price: Complete either Dream Car Championship (Amt.) or Grand Valley (Endurance) event
Power: 572 hp / 7500 rpm
Torque: 449.91 ft.lb / 5000 rpm

The Impreza as Le Mans competitor ? Why not, we constantly receive more ridiculous ideas from Polyphony's department, so it doesn't hurt to scoop another one, which at least tries to be more reasonable than all others.

Safety is the highest priority on this car; its chassis tenaciously leads the driver out of corners, not allowing negative side-effects of the weight transfer to disrupt your cornering line. On corner entries the rear end remains completely stable, something only 4WD cars know how to deliver. The Impreza LM could bring advantage on circuits where bunch of weight transfer changes due to high elevation can seriously shake all those opponents. One particular thing I like about this car is how it manages to entertain you with all that composure. On several corners you may encounter the action of pulling inwards when the weight of the car is not being engaged in aggressive movements from this to that side of the car. Plus, negative effects of understeer rarely cause problems to this car, assuming the understeer ever appears.
And that is why I love it. Even though it is among the slowest fictional LM machines, it features several micro elements that can bring smile on your face every time you concentrate not to lose the race. The FTO LM is definitely out of its reach, but easy learning curve mixed with small packages of fun that are scattered around its interesting character makes up for everything else.

Finally, the Impreza is the only fictional car in this group that I would like to see in real-life example. That should tell you everything.

thumbnail.php

Car: Mitsubishi FTO LM Race Car '96
Price: Complete Dream Car Championship (Amt.) or Dream Car Championship (Pro.) or Cote d'Azur (Endurance) event
Power: 584 hp / 8500 rpm
Torque: 369.00 ft.lb / 6000 rpm
Weight: 980 kg

In case your common sense can't process decision to use base FF car as a template for the purpose of building Le Mans machine, just remember how loyal companion our FTO LM has been trough all this years and thus how easily all complaints regarding its presence can be forgiven. This is the last GT game in which the FTO LM appears in its original shape, so observe it well.

In spite of being a 4WD car, there aren't many indicators pointing out that we are actually dealing with one. OF course, I wish I could say that is useful, but on this tires and level of speed traction is rarely an issue, so you're hardly going to meet advantages of the drivetrain. The rear end is often prone to oversteer, but this is not really helpful considering how you always have to step on the acceleration pedal and invoke burst of understeer to your side - especially on slow corners. It is definitely superior to the Impreza LM in agility department, but the same can't be said for the understeer. Or the overall joy.

Keeping up with the S2000 LM and RX-7 LM can be achieved, but don't forget how 4WD badge will eventually become a minor nuisance you'll need to take care of.

thumbnail.php

Car: Pagani Zonda Race Car '00
Price: Complete All Japan GT Championship (Pro.) or Italian Avant Grade (Pro.) or Rome Circuit (Endurance) event
Drivetrain: MR
Power: 651 hp / 6600 rpm
Torque: 553.00 ft.lb / 5000 rpm

Contrary to many believes, Zonda appeared at Le Mans festival back in 2003, but as with many manufacturers going there for the first time, the result was everything but pleasing. Even so, Polyphony successfully anticipated the Zonda's presence in motorsport divisions (although that wasn't very demanding task in first place, given the car's appearance), so we need to see what is it like.

Being careless in Gran Turismo usually means that you either daydream while driving or selling cars from your garage that cannot be awarded again. The Zonda became victim of number 2 case for which my quick fingers take responsibility. Given that I didn't have enough time to run either event to win another one, I had to test it in Arcade Mode, which is why general verdict cannot be brought due to different approach of Simulation and Arcade mode on car handling. Hm...

The Zonda is actually one of the fastest cars among the Le Mans machines that are based on road-going production model. In terms of lap times it is as fast as the GTS-R, so I don't think RX-7 LM or S2000 LM would have easy task battling against the Zonda (lap time on the track was around 1'28). Traditional MR cocktail can be experienced, but in comparison with the XJ220, the effect is irrelevant. Instead of pulling inwards during open throttle sections as the XJ220, it remains on its driving line neutrally, forcing you to praise its on-rails abilities. Yes, the car is rigid and unless you push it too far, MR issues won't become obvious. One important thing I should mention is that the car was driven under Racing option, which eliminates loss of grip. This was done under my assumption that such cars are driven in grip mode always, so I can't tell what would happen on settings I used on other cars.

Still, the most attractive factor in the Zonda is the soundtrack coming out from exhaust pipes. It is brutally good, just as on the road-going models and clearly something that can encourage you to drive the car on and on, to the infinity. Pay attention to steering, more directives should be injected using toe settings.

Verdict: --

BONUS MATERIALS

The following list displays acceleration and estimated lap times, along with real power and weight values taken from the Car Settings and Garage screen.

Important notes:
* 0-400 and 0-1000 acceleration tests were conducted on stock specs, using TCS set on 3;
* Average lap times were set on Tokyo 246 with driving aids disabled, except for TCS, which was kept at 1;
* The cars were ranked based on their performance on the 0-1000 test.

Legend: 0-400m --- 0-1000m --- Lap time --- HP on Kg --- Car

10.375 --- 18.991 --- 1'31.5 --- 584 on 980 ---- FTO LM
10.879 --- 19.409 --- 1'30.5 --- 572 on 1050 --- RX-7 LM
10.687 --- 19.616 --- 1'34.0 --- 572 on 1150 --- Impreza LM
10.910 --- 19.674 --- 1'30.5 --- 586 on 1050 --- S2000 LM
10.872 --- 19.940 --- 1'35.5 --- 542 on 1320 --- XJ220 Race Car
11.152 --- 19.957 --- 1'32.0 --- 597 on 1150 --- Altezza LM
11.151 --- 20.026 --- 1'33.0 --- 592 on 1160 --- Camaro Race Car

It is time to update my thread. Usually I do it with a new review, but this time the new review has replaced an older one, hence why I'll use this post to notify about all changes. Reviews are clickable. They can be accessed via links in OP too, as usual.

W.R.C. - Completely new review, featuring rally cars, has replaced old and disappointing For Racing and Shopping!! Bonus materials with acceleration and lap time numbers available.

Stars and Strips - significantly updated text, added bonus materials with acceleration and lap time numbers.

Pan European - renamed review of the previous For Queen and Country. This time it also features extra cars, drastically updated text and bonus materials with acceleration and lap time numbers.

Scores may be different this time because I didn't use price as a valuation factor. I tried to insert as much humor as possible while keeping the reviews professional. Be free to post your comments, dispute my statements or open a discussion about certain car.

If you have access to it, why not review the 911? Although it's not like you can buy one.
Sadly, I do not own a Gameshark, so I can't review the 911. I suspect it wouldn't be as fast as the RGT, so I don't feel any regret. :)

Even if I had GameShark, I would probably be more more interested in Stratos that is also inaccessible in normal circumstances. I wonder how it would handle with GT3's unbound handling physics.

You could get the cars if you have a PS3 and a cheap USB to PS2 memory card adapter from ebay. All you need is a savegame with them on (I could send you a savegame)

You could get the cars if you have a PS3 and a cheap USB to PS2 memory card adapter from ebay. All you need is a savegame with them on (I could send you a savegame)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I do not own PS3 or any of those aftermarket devices required to perform such attempts, so I'll have to stick with 'regular' cars. :)

Back