GT4 Photo Mode Storage Options

• Thread starter MelloBoy
  • 714 comments
Anyone know about the Lexar 512MB JumpDrive Elite USB Flash Drive? I have it, and it works with the MaxDrive software, so that's a good sign. But since I'm in Canada, I have no way to test if this works in GT4.
JDE256-231_large.jpg

maskrider
My working devices
- Sony Micro Valut 128M USM128 (USB 1.1 only, which also works with AR MAX)
- Sony Micro Valut 256M USM256U2
- Sony Micro Vault 256M USM256A
Maskrider
I assume you have a problem spelling Micro VAULT :sly:
Are the 256mb ones you've used are USB 2.0?

hellnback
Has anyone tried a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra???

That won't work, mainly because even in Windows it's not supported as a standard mass storage device. And I doubt PD put drivers for it on GT4.

NEO-EP3R
Maskrider
I assume you have a problem spelling Micro VAULT :sly:
Are the 256mb ones you've used are USB 2.0?

Heh ! I didn't notice that, just copy and paste from the first line I typed.

Only one of them is 1.1, all others are 2.0 (as the model is USM256U2), the model with an A suffix is even newer.

So it will work with the Cruzer Micro but not with the Cruzer Mini?!

That sucks because I was just about to buy one. And it looks like some people are also having difficulty with the USB reader approach, which also sucks.

Can someone please update the list because there appear to be some new additions.

Where will the USB device show up if it works? I have a USB MP3 player, but I don't have GT4 yet, so I don't know where you would transfer the files.

Race Idiot
That won't work, mainly because even in Windows it's not supported as a standard mass storage device. And I doubt PD put drivers for it on GT4.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought unfortunately... looks like another purchase soon... dependant on price probably 512MB or more will do...

hellnback
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought unfortunately... looks like another purchase soon... dependant on price probably 512MB or more will do...
I think that is too much. I'd idealy like to find a cheap 64mb drive but those apparently aren't sold anymore. So if I get a 128mb that should hold about 400 pictures per session.

Here's what I bought. ^_^

LINKAGE

I'm told it works fine. I guess I'll have to wait and see when I get my US copy. No loss if it doesn't, I've been meaning to buy a flash drive for awhile now, anyway. 👍

A 512mb flash drive would be useful as well when the Sony PSP comes out... It has a usb connection, and it is able to play mp3's, as well as other media such as Mpegs, AVIs and the such... I'll probably be getting one soon myself, just because they seem to be becoming a good thing to have if you have a computer.... :)

MelloBoy
ok,

Incompatible hardware:
- SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive
- Datel Max Drive USB Memory Device
- Sony Mouse with Memory Stick Reader/Writer MSAC-US5

Additional info:
Photos saved to Sony Memory Card is compressed down to approximately 100kb, resulting in minor artifacting when displayed on a computer monitor. Photos saved to USB storage is approximately 250-300kb.

MelloBoy

So does this mean ANY cruzer mini will not work? most people report having a 256mb one but what about a 512mb? Does reformatting the drive work?
Thanks

ARtz

I got GT4 yesterday. I just tried my MaxDrive stick, and it didn't work. Then I reformatted it using "MS-DOS Format" in my Mac's Disc Utility, and it worked perfectly.

So I guess it can go in the "semi-compatable" column?

P.S. I didn't test wheather it still works with the Max Drive software, but I assume it does.

I tested it with my Dazzle* 6-in-1 USB1.1 reader with a 1GB IBM Microdrive in the CF slot...works like a charm!

Attachments

• NSX on Infineon carousel - 800.jpg
    NSX on Infineon carousel - 800.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
  • NSX on Infineon esses - 800.jpg
    NSX on Infineon esses - 800.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 63
  • NSX on Infineon back straight - 800.jpg
    NSX on Infineon back straight - 800.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 128
  • NSX in Infineon Drama - sepia tone - 800.jpg
    NSX in Infineon Drama - sepia tone - 800.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 75
So it sounds like the key is making sure your USB drive is in the right format. I think a bunch of the "failures" need to try again with the proper formatting.

MelloBoy
Confirmed working hardware:

- SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive

Incompatible hardware:

- SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive
You got to be kidding! I got a 256Mb Cruzer Mini as soon as MaskRider and Chaser_Fan confirmed the USB storage for PhotoMode pics!!! It costed me a little fortune here in Brazil (something like US$ 81) and now it's incompatible?!? How's that possible, if we consider that both Mini and Micro FDs are made by the same company and share the same specifications?
You guys just can't figure out how upset I am right now...

Do you believe that reformatting it can help solving this incompatibility issue? Is anyone willing to try this solution out?

Do you believe that SCEE and SCEA can work this out and make the localized versions of GT4 compatible with a wider range of flash drives?

have anyone tried reformmating the Cruzer Mini 512mb ?
did it work?
if so wut did u use to format?

thanks

Artz

if it really doesn't work I guess I'll get myself a cruzer micro or some stuff that is cheap and works

Pimping this awesome deal, sorry. For all you cats looking for a compatible device, this is the one I got, Maskrider says it works, and it's a great deal.

LINKAGE

Sorry for constantly reposting this, my other link is buried in this thread somewhere, or another thread, I forget. 👍

Well let me add this to the list:

Micro Advantage QuickiDrive QD64
http://www.microadvantage.net/consumer/index.php?class=5&product_id=13

There's one on eBay right now for 20 bucks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5144863251&category=51073

I can't see any reason why the 128MB and 256MB versions won't work too.

I also just tried an old "SIIG US2260 Smart Media Card Reader" with a 128MB Sandisk card in it and that worked too.

It might be worth listing what age of PS2 you tested with (in my case a brand new SCPH-70000 from the Racing Pack .. man it's tiny!)

I did try hooking up a digital camera (a Fuji A330 in case anyone cares) to the PS2 via USB cable and that did not work.

Attached, one from each working device. The Sauber pic from my S16 license test pass run ("ohhh yeahhh" indeed) and the other is the Trial Mountain monkey (he lives!)

For the person that asked how it worked in practice, it's like this:
1. Jam the USB drive in any USB slot at any time
2. When you're happy with the photo, choose the USB option and save
3. If the progress bar goes all the way across, it worked. If the progress bar hangs (for a very long time) about 1/3 of the way, it probably isn't going to work. It always stops for a little while, but when I tried the camera it just sat there - I had to reset in the end.

Attachments

• sauber_leap.jpg
    sauber_leap.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 129
  • trial_mtn_monkey.jpg
    trial_mtn_monkey.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 106
Grrr...I need to wait till I get my US version to test it. My console is the last version they made with the NA and ATV Offroad Fury 2. (my little bro likes ATV's, and I needed a new PS2 and an NA, so it was win-win at $120) 👍

Back