GT5 2.02 Tire Wear [HARD DATA ANALYSIS FOR SUPER GT]

• Thread starter chuyler1
  • 119 comments
One more thing Chuyler this is probably the best thread I've seen currently on GT5 forum. Definitely worth a Punt sticking it into GT Life magazine. Although all may not agree you can't really dispute the facts tires are wearing faster and now a combination of tuning with tires is a necessity. RM with RS. RH with RM etc. this small but major difference has completely changed the game. I think due to the largely negative reaction a slider option will be put in to determine amount of wear, this would be a shame IMO because it's a hurdle that only good tuning will allow you to get over.

Thanks Daz. Go figure the day my thread is posted in the news section is week I'm away from my PS3. I want to run more tests to bolster the OP but it will have to wait until after the new year.

Great work. I done some testing of my own and found your test is right on for un-tuned cars but for race cars that have be tuned the tire wear is greater. We don't know if this would have a major impact on the races in the lobbies. But it should keep people from tuning cars to the max. In all great work.

s'ok. I think we will see lots more stats in the coming weeks. Hopefully PD is watching and will give us some sort of tire wear slider to play with. For those doing 24hr enduros on the longer tracks (Nurb 24Hr, le Sarthe) it will be pretty annoying to pit so often. It really breaks your rhythm. It's hard to come off a lap with such little grip and throw down a solid lap with new tires. Considering you only get 2-3 clean laps on RS tires, you have to be extremely cautious yet aggressive to win a race using them. My 10 second gap could easily be closed when you add variables like traffic, drafting, and battling for position.

Yes. Extremely annoying. 2 laps at Sarthe on RS in the Sauber Mercedes. If I'm very cautious, 6 on RH's. The R8 Audi seems to get 9-11 laps between pits. 4:20 ish out laps, followed by 3:25-3:30 for 3 laps, followed by 3:50ish, then pit. All the while the R8 is pulling 3:30-3:40's for 10 laps. GRRRR....:ouch:
Oh well...we'll see how it turns out. Up by 2 minutes after 6 hours....

This is one of the most Informative threads I have seen in some time, Tells us exactly what we want to know, not prolonged with un-needed information or text, and 100% Accurate.. Great Thread and Great Job.. 👍

Thank you for the amazing analisys as im going to try to use this for new b-spec seasional. Not to figure out how to tune the suspension as i am a drag racer and drag suspensions are horrible in my experience.

Last edited:
Great write-up.

Just curious, if you extrapolate your data is there a point where the time gained on track and the time lost in the pits is zero. By that I mean is there a point where, if the race were run to that point, it would make no difference what tires you had? If there is such a point, what is the best tire choice from that point?

Our LMP series went to the Nurb 24H yesterday.

Winner was with Front RM Rear RH
2nd was witn RM Front & Rear + 10 seconds (big crash lap1 we race with heavy damage)

Pitting every 2 laps.

One more lap or no accident and RM RM would be the winner.

I greatly appreciate the work done by the OP. Thanks for this valuable information.

I had not played GT for some months because of the broken tire model and the inability to have a proper race strategy for my preferred type of racing, which is endurance racing.

Having read this post, I am glad that I have not looked in GT's direction for so long. Obviously PD wants to make the game into an arcade racer. Which is a damn shame. There are much better arcade racers out there.

"The real driving simulator" is now a laughable tagline.

GT is dead to me. Congrats PD, you have managed to kill the series in my eyes.

I will still check in here once and a while to see if this horrible change gets reversed, but until then the game will sit on the shelf like it has since the 2.00 update hit.

Our LMP series went to the Nurb 24H yesterday.

Winner was with Front RM Rear RH
2nd was witn RM Front & Rear + 10 seconds (big crash lap1 we race with heavy damage)

Pitting every 2 laps.

One more lap or no accident and RM RM would be the winner.

Cool, thanks. I'm currently leaning towards RM front/RH rear myself. Just a shame to have to pit so often :yuck:

The new tyre wear physics are a very interesting introduction to GT5. At first I was completely confused when I ran my first few laps on Nurb and shredded them by the time I hit the corkscrew. Then I raced on sport soft and also comfort soft and realised that this is where the realness lies. Particularly comfort soft which pre 2.02 took forever to warm up and seemed to last forever. The faster rate of tyre wear has increased the ability to drive comfort soft at a higher level (faster) I was in a free run room last night and I ran 7:48 at 525PP comfort softs, real grip, tyre wear on and heavy damage to make it interesting. At these regs I found the comfort tyres were optimum on the 2 second lap and slowly degraded from there. My fastest time came on my 4 lap after I pitted at the beginning of the 3rd, fuel was just above half by the time i finished the 4th (no refuel). This would have been an impossible mission for me previously and I think that Kaz and co are trying to move us away (ironically) from the arcade feel of RS. To appreciate the tyre wear you have to test the 'simulation'. Comfort soft to sports range compounds and I think you'll see it works very well.

My 2 pence
👍

Raced in a 550pp room last night with my car running at 525pp. I have to say that there was not a major difference in straight line speed and in the corners I seemed to have the advantage which I was really surprised about. Nurb24 was the track and If I didn't spin at the end of the straight I would have won the race. No longer is tuning to the max neccessary. It's all about tuning for the specific car your driving. The one tune wonder is officially dead!

Look forward to more updates Chuyler!

I did the Nurburgring 4 Hour race last night with a 380hp Acura NSX with race modifications (i detuned the power of the car so that it was more evenly matched to the other cars in the race, quite a few of which always flew away from me on long straights - the second placed car never got more than two minutes behind me and my best lap was a 8:40.xxx).

I tried all three race tyres during the race and found the Race Hard's were great for a cruising speed for the first part of the race and i could get four nine minute laps out of them. The Race Medium's were great for keeping pace and could stretch them out to three laps, and the Race Soft's were the best to reverse the problem with the Race Medium's - which was that the S2000 GT1 (not the turbo one) was catching me by about a second each sector once he got into second place. So changed to Race Soft's and then starting getting away from him 1-3 seconds or more a sector. Could only get two laps out of them though.

Was a great race though. Didn't get the lead until lap 5 or so (mind you, i was just casually making my way through the pack, after purposely dropping to last place on the first lap at the first corner) and had to strategise my pit stops in order to keep the lead, which i didn't for the first few stops - subsequent ones i usually had a five second lead after exiting the pits.

Was kinda lonely though, only really saw four or five other cars (out of 12) for the rest of the race after lap 6. :(

But yeah, pleased with the new tyre degradation in the game. :)

are this advices for offline a-spec races also???
or it's only for online??

cuz yesterday i did a gv endurance with a evo Viii gsr with 460pp, sport ammo..
with SH i could reach 24 laps with SM i did 17 laps and i begin to run slower..
i get first place with about 15 seconds from 2nd place..

i can affirm that something is changed than before the update and im really happy..

Last edited:
The tire wear is similar between online and endurance. I have not done extensive tests with sports tires yet.

Recently finished the 4 hour nurburgring enduro. Used RS on the race modded lotus 111R. The S2000 GT1 Turbo would gain on me in the straights (as would the CTR and the other cars) but I could get away from them in the turns. Pitted every 2 laps, I could push them out to 3 but I would lose so much time in the 3rd lap due the worn tires that it was not worth it. I lost about 20 - 30 seconds on the third lap while a pit of around 20 - 30 seconds depending on fuel intake being mandatory either way. Race mediums and race hards where also too slow averaging 10-20 seconds plus off the average (averaged pit and non-pit laps) race soft lap times. The ring is so long that the extra pit times become inconsequential when faced with those massive time losses that come with the harder compounds.

The CTR required pitting every lap. The S2000 GT1 Turbo pitted every two laps with me.

RM at front while RH on the rears help balance out tire wear evenly. And you can squeeze an extra lap over an all RM shod car. That said, the car is prone to oversteer when the rears are shot or when you are too over zealous with the throttle.

Helpful thread, thanks! I really wish this were a sticky! I have recently posted a thread with some answers that you've answered here. I got some other answers from my thread, but, this was also very helpful!

But, you think that, temporarily, the Racing mediums and softs are the only bets to win? In my ALMS I switched to hards, and I lost badly... I could've gotten 20 laps of Daytona, but, I was getting close to being lapped by the other GT drivers, so I went back on softs and mediums, and actually started to run faster than the other cars in class. So, findings are similar. Do you also believe that the best idea is to run mediums at a good pace or softs at a conserved pace? The mediums and softs are extremely even, I find, although I need to work on consistency in the second half of my medium stints.

Anyways, thanks again Chu!

EDIT** Does anyone else want to sticky this thread, and my thread about improving the life of tires?

Last edited:
I still think the best endurance strategy is to run the softest compound available. The only exception would be for short sprints that can't be made on a particular compound. The definition of a short sprint really depends on the car though. You will have to run practice laps prior to your race to determine the number of laps you can make it on each tire.

Nice read :)
For the last 3 months I played gt5 mostly on practice mode and I didn't notice the change in tire wear... Until yesterday. Before the update I was doing some testing with the Peugeot 908 at La Sarthe in preparation for the 24h, and racing soft lasted a good 10 laps, that I think it's pretty close to the real life stints they make. But when I tested the car yesterday, Racing soft lasted half the laps, precisely 4, and I was like "WTF???", and then I proceeded to test other compounds just to found that RM lasts 5 laps and RH only 6. So basically they halved RS duration and left other compounds as they was before, more or less. It's very disappointing, because now I'm doing the 24h and I have to pit every 4 laps, that's pretty unrealistic to me. I really hope PD will fix this, giving us the possibility to have a slider, or at least making all the compounds last longer... To me a good ratio at la sarthe would be the following :
RS : 9-11 laps
RM : 13-15 laps
RH : 18-20 laps
I really love the game, but this short tyre life cycles are ruining my endurance races...

Sorry for the double post, but as I proceed in the 24h at la sarthe, other problems come out. At 15h 30 minutes it started to rain, and in one hour track humidity started to go up. I decided to stay on racing soft tires until it reached 35% and then switched to Intermediates, here are the lap times with RS and with INTERS until this point (by the moment humidity reached 35%):

Racing soft : 3:30 - 3:30 - 3:32 - 3:33 - 3:36
Interm. : 3:39 - 3:39 - 3:42 - 3:43 - 3:46

At this point I decided to switch again to Racing soft to see if they were really faster, and had this lap times (humidity was over 70%)

Racing soft : 3:36 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:37 - 3:38 - 3:38

As you can see, Racing soft not only was faster than Intermediates by a good 6-7 seconds, but they lasted TEN laps and when I pitted I had still half tires, I had to pit just because I was running out of fuel. So here I notice two very strange things :

A) Racing soft are faster than wet tires, even when humidity reaches 85-90%
B) While they last only 4 laps on dry, with a humidity of 35% or higher they last more than Ten laps with little drop of performance, and that's weird.

So, what do you think about that? Notice that I'm doing the 24h on the peugeot 908 team peugeot total using a Driving Force GT (no assists except abs:1)

On A-Spec races the realistic loss of grip on low-grip surfaces isn't enabled. That's why you're getting unexpected results.
Skid Recovery Force also interferes with this.

Try in practice mode with that option set to "Real", and SRF set to "off".

On A-Spec races the realistic loss of grip on low-grip surfaces isn't enabled. That's why you're getting unexpected results.
Skid Recovery Force also interferes with this.

Try in practice mode with that option set to "Real", and SRF set to "off".

I thought A-spec had realistic loss of grip, sorry, I'll try on practice as soon as I finish the race, thanks for the information :)

Back