GT5 Prologue and the WRS

• Thread starter superwally
  • 15 comments
United States
Vermont, USA
GTP_Superwally, supahwally
Just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding the future of the WRS as the NA (and I'm assuming EU) release of GT5P is slated for the end of April. I've been wondering about the format and dearly hope that some semblance of the WRS can be carried on to the next generation. I can't really figure what will happen to the GT4 WRS, either, as the PS3 is pricey and I think GT4 still enjoys good demand. I sure like it, but don't know that I'll have time for both.

It's great competition and I look forward to running live with people I know at least a little bit. Of course I'm making the great leaping assumption that individually hosted online races will be available from PD soon, I hope they don't make us race random competition until the full GT5 comes out.

Even without the online aspect, there are still cars and tracks and time trials to be run in GT5P. I'd hate to think that we will all go our separate ways as we migrate to PSN and communicate through those channels, as I feel a bit of kinship here with my fellow WRSers and a owe a debt of gratitude to those who have provided me with this place to race. Thanks!

The WRS won't be moving away from GT4 until GT5 is released. Having had GT5P for a while now, I am almost certain that the WRS will continue to host its race series in the normal fashion. However, there will also be another side to the WRS whereby weekly races will be hosted via Online.

The format of the new Online racing is unclear for now and will remain so until we know how PD will present its Online features.

I will keep you updated once things are a lot clearer. 👍

Edit: That doesn't mean that we won't conduct some tests once GT5P Euro/USA are released. ;)

The WRS won't be moving away from GT4 until GT5 is released.

That's good to know. As I said before, I think the demand is still there, and will continue to be.

Thanks for the info.

I also hope the community will remain to exist even when GT5 will offer true online racing as it may never replace what we've got going on here & now in WRS.
On the issue of the big purchase, it might well be that I only will be buying after the full GT5 version will be released. €500 is pretty hefty for a platform, 3x more expensive than the PS2 ...

WRS is a great community even though i have only been with the system for about a week now...

You can see the hard work that goes in to setting it up and also the hard work put in to the lap times.

And would like to take this momment to thank all the people that make this possible and the racers that Participate .

I wont be buying the GT-5 prologue ill be waiting till the full game is released...
because i aint yet brought a PS3 but should be up on release of GT-5 thats for sure!

Although it as an online gaming system i like to think the dedicated racers will always be here like my self makeing it still possible and Competing
for that top spot of there Division ;)

Qoute as superwally said GT-4 is still in high demand the PS3 is a little pricey :( which is a down fall but im sure some way some how it will all work out hopefully!

QUIK!

I also hope the community will remain to exist even when GT5 will offer true online racing...

I don't think one should worry about that. Online racing is a great thing, but it has one big drawback if you want to race with your friends : you have to actually race at the same time. Ok, put like that it sounds like a statement of the obvious, but that will definitely matter a lot.
I mean, I'm in Europe and I only have time to play at night, between 10pm and 2am.
That means that I will only be able to race online my US friends if they play between 1 and 5pm (West Coast) or between 4 and 8pm (East Coast), or my australian mates who play between 8am and 12 noon.

I have a job, a house, a wife, 3 kids, and they all need a lot of my time. Most of my friends here are in a similar situation, so there are many people I will never be able to race online with. The only solution to play against them will be to stick with some offline racing events like the WRS.

I think a hybrid of the two systems would be best way to go. Race offline during the week then split into divisions based on best offline time trial. Then sometime Saturday/Sunday race each division online.

That solves the problem to some extent with the time difference and also gives people a chance to compete at their best and familiar with the track. As a fair to middling Div II WRS'er one of the problems I had with the online racing at SFGTP2 was that I was terribly unfamiliar with a lot of the tracks/cars and by the time I was getting into a groove the race was over.

I personally plan to do both, keep racing GT-4 but dip into GT5-P. In the US (and San Jose in particular) the PS3 costs less than my monthly electric bill so it's not that big a purchase.

P.S. I also have a wife and three kids so I understand the bit about limited time to race.

There are plans that the WRS will be transferred to the WRS GT5P.

As it looks for now the current GT4 divisions will be switched for the GTP_ register one.

No fixed time schedule yet but it doesn't hurt to hear some opinions.

However,the decision of/when we make the switch will be in the hands of the GTP Race Admins .

I'm stilling trying to find out how to convert my normal account on ps3 to a GTP_ account ;) (I didn't put much time into looking for it)

Also didn't have much time to race lately :(

I'm stilling trying to find out how to convert my normal account on ps3 to a GTP_ account ;) (I didn't put much time into looking for it)

You can't change your screen name once selected. Instead, you must create a new subaccount with the desired GTP_ tag as your screen name.

Any ideas as to when the switch might be taking place? I am still just a dinosaur and still haven't purchased a PS3. I am looking forward to a winter of racing. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a PS3. And by bullet I mean get a new TV and PS3 at the same time a become a hermit.

Any ideas as to when the switch might be taking place? I am still just a dinosaur and still haven't purchased a PS3.

Me neither, and I'm not planning on buying one untill GT5 is out. So that'll be something like mid-2010 or so. If the WRS is indeed going GT5P, I'll be out of it for quiet a while I suppose.

There could be a WRS for both GT4 and Prologue, but someone will probably have to take over for the GT4 version, preferably someone who does not own Prologue.

Any ideas as to when the switch might be taking place? I am still just a dinosaur and still haven't purchased a PS3. I am looking forward to a winter of racing. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a PS3. And by bullet I mean get a new TV and PS3 at the same time a become a hermit.

Nice to see you in here. 👍

I was just wondering about you the other day when I put up this combo -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111520

Me neither, and I'm not planning on buying one untill GT5 is out. So that'll be something like mid-2010 or so. If the WRS is indeed going GT5P, I'll be out of it for quiet a while I suppose.

There could be a WRS for both GT4 and Prologue, but someone will probably have to take over for the GT4 version, preferably someone who does not own Prologue.

I'm not sure any of us know exactly when WRS will move over, but it might be a good idea to get that PS3. ;)

Even if WRS does not continue in it's exact current format, there will be plenty of people looking to race on GT4. That might allow for more user created short or long race series?

Myself, I will remain loyal to WRS, as I credit the series with some great improvement in my driving skills while meeting a lot of great friends as well. 👍

4imIxboUv-XzCu+f3QkmhLRxdsWJoxSk02DF.jpg

:: GTP_Weekly Race Series ::

HB35+MUqEoNFExrVc+mBfvvcZr3I7kk40139.jpg

3 November

pa260025fo7.jpg

Kick Off....

Last edited:
Hello all,

I just wanted to say that when I found out the WRS was moving to the PS3 format, I was very disappointed since I am not in a position to move to it at this time. However, rather than sit and mope, I decided that I would go back into the archives of the series, starting with the first race and get all the replays that I could and practice. In only the first 4 days of this, I have lowered my time on Trial Mountain in the Tom's Castrol Supra from 1'25".xxx to running fairly consistent 1'19".xxx. I do hope to join the ranks of the GT5P crowd soon, but I wanted to take this time to thank this entire community for providing the tools and forum that allow me to enjoy my favorite video game so much more than I did before I found this site. Thanks to all who make this possible and watch out for me in your rear-view!

Thanks,

Bryan

Back