BMW Cup Race III - Z4 @ Autumn Ring (Results Posted)

• Thread starter EDK
  • 64 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDK

WRS Admin
United States
Boise, ID
GTP_EDK
BMW-Logo-resized-32.gif
CUP - Race III : Z4 @ Autumn Ring

You've been through the Forest in this car's older cousin. This week we'll go slidin' through the Autumn Leaves. :mischievous:

BMW Z4 2003

IMG0020.jpg

Autumn Ring

octrautumnringlm9.gif
Thanks to AMG for the track image.

Race Details:

* Mode: Arcade Mode > Time Trial > Original Circuits
* Track: Autumn Ring (Forward)
* Make: Germany > BMW
* Model: Z4 2003

Vehicle Specifics:

* Power: (+20) - 273hp
* Weight: (-10%) 1228kg
* Driving Aids: Any
* Top Speed: N/A
* Transmission: N/A
* Tyre Type: IMPORTANT - PLEASE PAY ATTENTION - Front - Sports Soft (S3's) / Rear - Sports Medium (S2's)

Rules

* Please post split times here in the thread and I will maintain a leaderboard. DO NOT discuss full lap times.
* Standard, Clean OLR Rules apply.
* Replay verification will be required from the top 3 times each week.
* Only .max or other data format replays will be accepted
* I reserve the right to request a replay from any racer.
* Please save your replay for at least 10 days after the race deadline.

Race Deadline

* Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 - 7 pm PST (Pacific Standard time, GMT -7 hours)
* Please submit via PM to me (EDK). Please submit only once.

Comments

I was inspired by many of Sjaak's past WRS events on this race, so I'll give credit where credit's due. 👍

WRS Week 132 - Read The Main Race Thread A classic tight battle in many divisions throughout the week and in the results. Check out the top of D2. :eek:

Also the inspiration for the varied compounds this week. The understeer on this car will drive you crazy, as I recall from WRS Week 116. So I started out with trying to decide between SH or N3's. :scared: Lucky you, I gave this a try and loved it. :sly:

Preview of Coming Attractions

3 Series (For sure)
GT-Mode (I think)
Nurburgring (I'm almost positive :D)

But I have a few twists in mind. ;)

cupseriescopy.jpg

Last edited:
LEADERBOARD
stidriver ----------- 26.966 / 1:02.937
Jump_Ace --------- 27.114 / 1:03.232
Jake -------------- 27.052 / 1:03.376
Denur ------------- 27.346 / 1:03.527
2078TM ----------- 27.185 / 1:03.606
MadMax86 --------- 27.257 / 1:03.816
raz_10 ------------ 27.646 / 1:03.956
EDK --------------- 27.429 / 1:04.075
01GTP ------------- 27.343 / 1:04.247
Marooned ---------- 27.450 / 1:04.820
2k2 Z28 ----------- 27.589 / 1:05.222
gtbadboy ---------- 27.925 / 1:05.347
alrivers ------------- 27.843 / 1:05.570
Captain Slow ;) ---- 28.201 / 1:06.014

Week III Results

BMWCupRace3.jpg

Series to Date Week III

BMWCupSeriestoDate3.jpg

WOW - A real shakeup in the results this week!!

Congrats to stidriver for another solid finish and first place. 👍

Great job by Jake and 2078TM for rounding out the podium.

I never seem to get a good last sector at this track. Last night, I was just waiting for the first lap below 1:26.000. And what do I get? A 1:25.999 :lol: First time that's literally happened to me. Although I have hit right on the second while trying to get there, and that's just complete frustration. :irked:

Anyhow, I had thought about putting the last one up sooner, since it's such a daunting task. But now I'm glad I waited, after seeing all the last minute action on this one. :crazy:

Thanks again to the great community here for your fantastic support of both series. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

REPLAY VERIFICATION

stidriver
gflagjn4.gif

Jake
gflagjn4.gif

2078TM
gflagjn4.gif

EDK
gflagjn4.gif

Last edited:
Now this looks like a blast! I love mismatched compounds, and Autumn Ring. Next week looks like a lot of fun too (if someone is so kind as to post a setup :dopey:) - convenient that the plural of "Series" is "Series," isn't it? ;) Not that that's necessarily what you'll do... I do love "twists." :D

Edit: While I was trying to edit my post, I accidentally hit "report" on your second post. :dunce: Sorry if that showed up. I wasn't trying to get you for double posting!

Edit 2: 26.745 - 1'03.027. I expect those times to be annihilated shortly. This car on these tires isn't so much "drifty" as "floaty." If you know what I mean. :confused: It's hard to describe, but you'll see my point when you try it. The combo is a lot of fun, but I don't feel like I really know how to attack the track.

Last edited:
The combo is a lot of fun, but I don't feel like I really know how to attack the track.
Key thing for me at this track always is to convert a Matrix enigma (there is no spoon) into the series of bends: there are no bends :lol: try it out and you'll see what I mean. Good luck 👍

Key thing for me at this track always is to convert a Matrix enigma (there is no spoon) into the series of bends: there are no bends :lol: try it out and you'll see what I mean. Good luck 👍

Steven

Yes, as you told me before There's No Spoon :dopey: it does work, i'll give it a try tonight, good luck all:crazy:

Edit 2: 26.745 - 1'03.027. I expect those times to be annihilated shortly.
The combo is a lot of fun, but I don't feel like I really know how to attack the track.

Getting closer and closer to your splits ,but will take some before I can crush them. :D

T1 27.098
T2 1'03.850

What comes to track attack style, I personally use "early braking" when braking is needed for cornering.
This way I avoid overloading the suspension when it's needed for full throttle exit without "float effect".

Edit: While I was trying to edit my post, I accidentally hit "report" on your second post. :dunce: Sorry if that showed up. I wasn't trying to get you for double posting!

Edit 2: 26.745 - 1'03.027. I expect those times to be annihilated shortly. This car on these tires isn't so much "drifty" as "floaty." If you know what I mean. :confused: It's hard to describe, but you'll see my point when you try it. The combo is a lot of fun, but I don't feel like I really know how to attack the track.

No infractions yet for the DP. :sly:

On the tire selection, it's another one of those that you probably have to try the options to know how I arrived here. I personally liked it on N3 tires, but the braking distances were tough to manage and I was afraid it might turn too many people off. And on same compound front and rear, it was a bit "plowy", if you know what I mean. :D Sort of like the car is on rails, except they always point to the outside of the track when you don't want them to. :crazy:

What comes to track attack style, I personally use "early braking" when braking is needed for cornering.
This way I avoid overloading the suspension when it's needed for full throttle exit without "float effect".
Watching my replay of my test, that's definitely what I was doing. The only areas where I noticeably forced the car into more of a drift was in the box slalom (Pic Above) and in the 180 corner before T2. Most areas, get the braking out of the way, stabilize the car, and launch.

I will say that I like driving this car on the varied compounds A LOT more than I do on say, SS on both ends.

Funny, I'm doing exactly what you two are! Good to know I'm going about it the right way. The issue is more that I can feel like I'm taking a corner faster or the same as before and end up much slower. :confused: Now that I've run more laps, that effect has become less noticeable, but it's still there. Actually, some of these turns are pretty counterintuitive. For example, you can take the "bus stop" (turns 3, 4, 5, 6) very fast, but you're set up poorly for the next corner (the wide 90 degree right) and end up slower. And the hairpins are best taken by braking to a much slower speed than is possible, and then powering out in a straight line, staying to the inside the whole way.

Anyway, after chipping away for a while, I finally just beat my goal time with a 26.675 - 1'02.806. None of my sectors were my best ones, however, so there's still a good half second left, but I'll never get all of it. And someone like holl01 would obliterate all our times (I suspect a 1'01) if he ran it. We mere mortals can't set perfect, drifty laps like him, though. :crazy:

First run Second Run :)
27.846 27.646
1'04.748 1'03.956

Last edited:
Ran another quick session, since my test with this setup was a little shorter than normal. Got these -

27.826 (Have Seen 27.6's)
1:04.491

I really don't have the Box Slalom down yet. That's definitely where I'm losing it against Max's splits.

I did notice one helpful thing though. This car likes to be short shifted and lugged in spots. Many areas I found it better to stay in 3rd gear, even in low RPM's.

I'll get a board up in the morning sometime, time for bed now.

Captain Slow and his no-spoon nonsense:

You have to be slow in order to be slow - that's my adagium :lol:

Great fun. Earlier I never used to like this track but these days I do. Plenty of black stuff, a real racer's domain.
Actually I find the balance with the S3/S2 compounds quite good. No TCS needed (even for me) and very predictable.

A note to the steward: if you dare picking Nurbie for track IV in one of the great M3's I'll never join your race series again mate :cool:

Last edited:
Captain Slow and his no-spoon nonsense:

You have to be slow in order to be slow - that's my adagium :lol:

Great fun. Earlier I never used to like this track but these days I do. Plenty of black stuff, a real racer's domain.
Actually I find the balance with the S3/S2 compounds quite good. No TCS needed (even for me) and very predictable.

A note to the steward: if you dare picking Nurbie for track IV in one of the great M3's I'll never join your race series again mate :cool:

Steven - I'm glad you like the combo.

I have some wrinkles in mind for the next one, but I have to tell you that Nurb was in the plans all along for this series. It's only fitting to run these cars on the only track in the game that's really based in Germany.

But I think I can have it set up so there's something for everyone to enjoy. I have my thinking cap on and I plan to make it a VERY dynamic combo. ;)

Board Updated. 👍

OMG this combo is Killer!!!!! very nice EDK:tup:
I also like the mismatch tire combo gives this car the extra fun factor. I think I found a race for a certain soon to be local gathering :sly:
I think I will skip the WRS this week and give this baby ALL my attention!
That being said, :( the big Nurb is next or soon to come :banghead:

Last edited:
there's no doubt that this is one of the top tracks in GT4, at least for me...

Jake -- 27.052 / 1'03.376

Last edited:
OMG this combo is Killer!!!!! very nice EDK:tup:
I also like the mismatch tire combo gives this car the extra fun factor. I think I found a race for a certain soon to be local gathering :sly:
I think I will skip the WRS this week and give this baby ALL my attention!
That being said, :( the big Nurb is next or soon to come :banghead:

Glad you are liking it. :)

Don't let Nurb scare you off, guys. Part of what I have in mind I'm stealing from Sphinx and WRS Week 155. I'll make sure it's weighted so the majority of the points come from the short event(s)? ;)

How hard can it be, this combo? Or so I thought.... :scared:

1'04.368

Btw, this combo is great for some drifting practice. :dopey:

First attempt - boy, this thing has no brakes - first lap and I missed the braking point for the first turn by about 150 yards :crazy:

Running it in the dark grey so it matches the one in my driveway.

1:04.246

First attempt - boy, this thing has no brakes - first lap and I missed the braking point for the first turn by about 150 yards :crazy:

Running it in the dark grey so it matches the one in my driveway.

1:04.246

Got you on the board. You should have tried it with no brakes AND understeer. :crazy: Wait, you ran in WRS 116, so you have tried that. :sly:

Did a couple of laps and managed to improve T2 and the final lap time but screwed up with T1

T1 28.049 :crazy:
T2 1'05.383

Will try again tomorrow morning, i guess i can get somehting out of this car :sly:

Did a couple of laps and managed to improve T2 and the final lap time but screwed up with T1

T1 28.049 :crazy:
T2 1'05.383

Will try again tomorrow morning, i guess i can get somehting out of this car :sly:

Like the avvy. ;)

Spinning off of Steven's comments about the spoon? :sly:

Got you on the board, your splits are getting better all the time with all this racing we have you doing. 👍

EDK
Like the avvy. ;)

Spinning off of Steven's comments about the spoon? :sly:

Got you on the board, your splits are getting better all the time with all this racing we have you doing. 👍

Yes Kevin

Regarding the spoon, it does work:dopey: i remember i managed to do it when we raced the WRS at autumn ring mini, but haven't got it right so far here:crazy:. Doing my best to catch you guys on the board, i had a chance last week with the MX-5 but you know:indiff: may be i'll do it this week there, and i might have some fast new splits for this Z4....:cheers: mate

I just went a whole .026 faster... with a .05 slower T2. I think I'm pretty much at my limit. :dunce: So since I'm probably done doing this race, I tried out your other tire ideas. N3s I just didn't like much (Maybe N3/N2? :scared: Really, the N tires would have probably gone best with the 2002 Turbo.), and SHs were pretty good but not as fun. Doing a mismatch was definitely the way to go. So I tried SS/SH, just like that Mini race, and it made less difference than I suspected, but I would say it was even more fun, albeit slightly slower. Just a thought for anyone who wanted to have a bit of fun getting really sideways.

Working my way up very slowly

current splits:

T1 0'27.257
T2 1'03.816

27.843/1'05.570

Great to see you in here, Alex. 👍

For those of you who don't know Alex, he's one of the racers I met at SFGTP3 (Smallhorses' LAN) last May.

He actually works for BMW of San Francisco and drives a great, classic 6 series. I invited him to race with us before the series started, but he just picked up the PM the other day. I let him know he's still welcome, even late to the party, so here he is. :sly:

Will get you on the board. :cheers:

And just looking at his profile, something I'm not sure I realized before. We share the same birthday. :crazy:

EDK
And just looking at his profile, something I'm not sure I realized before. We share the same birthday. :crazy:

That's just tooooooooooooooo spooky.
pumpkin.gif

I was about to post something in the SFGTP4 thread the other day about the statistical possibilities of 2 people out of a group of 10 sharing the same birthday, since raz_10 & DaveS1138 both share a birthday too.
Then I decided I couldn't be bothered doing the Maths.
sleepgo.gif

The statistical possibilities of having 2 sets of 2 people that share the same birthday out of a group of 10 have got to be utterly ridiculous! :scared:
And I still can't be arsed to work it out. :P

Go figure, I share the same birthdate with Jump_Ace

and, today is Mr P's birthday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back