GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,396 comments
With the leaderboard reset I actually managed to beat my previous QT time in a slightly nerfed McLaren. :) The car feels really good in QT trim with a pointy frontend and planted rears, it was such a joy to drive! Also made my first livery in GT7 so that may help as well.

Also managed to do a couple more Race C last evening and it was an absolute disaster! :ill:

Race #1 - Q7 and reached as high as P4 before the 4 "Last to First" challengers got pass. They were on 2:16 race pace so didn't bother to defend. Weather radar shows a huge portion of light blue approaching so pitted at Lap 10 with everyone else. Came out on IM, just to find that there was ZERO moisture on the track and everyone else bar one was on fresh RMs instead of IM after the pitstop. :banghead:Lesson learnt so pitted again for RM, managed mid/low 2:17s for the rest of the race and finished second last at P12.

Race #2 - Q9 but with 5 A+ guys behind not setting a lap time I was essentially at Q15 QT wise. I feel the whole field was way out of my league as I was basically passed left right and center anywhere on track. Rain came at Lap 5 and almost everyone pitted for IM except one NSX on Wets. From the second I came out of the pit I knew I was f-ed - I had no wet weather pace whatsoever and was losing 2-3 sec per lap to everyone in front on the same tyre. I knew I am never good on wet (I may have done less than 5 wet races in GT7) but it seems to me the car just did not want to turn in despite the walking pace, with the supposingly correct tyres.

See one of my wet laps below. 2/3 on the moisture gauge on IM, was in 2:50's with everyone else doing 2:46 or lower. Desperate for some advice for wet driving. :guilty: I did watch TheKie25's video on avoiding racing lines on wet but that alone won't account for 4 sec a lap?

Ended up DFL but somehow, magically I was still gaining DR, in fact nearly the whole field did.

IMG_9316 (1).JPG

Race #3 - Wanted to redeem myself and end my night on a better note, I entered a 3rd race where I was on pole with @GOTMAXPOWER and several other friends in the lobby. Then of course I lost P1 on Kemmel straight to a Peugeot then binned it spectularly by running wide + a 360 at the left hander after Bruxelles. In DFL again but managed to got back to 9th after several overtakes. Pitted at Lap 10 for IM as it started raining and jumped a few cars to land at P6. Again suffering from Wet pace in the same condition as in Race 2 but did not really matter as I got disconnected from the lobby on Lap 13 with an error.

So that was that, a confusing and frustrating night of racing but at least Easter Weekend is coming - Have a great one everyone!

Pd is trolling me at GV. After getting many penalties I determined the car width and put painters tape on my TV so I knew where the wheels of the car actually where.

Still the penalties came.

This last one broke me for the night and I gave up. I was on pace for a sub 1;55 time when I got a 1s penalty in the zig-zag after the tunnel.

This was it.
IMG_7890.jpeg

IMG_7889.jpeg

No bollards were hit. My wheels stayed on the line and never crossed it.

Apparently the line is not the limit. So where is it?

I always thought you could have tires on the lines but apparently that’s not so.

Last edited:
After hammering Race B mostly from the back of the grid this week (many races last night), managing a measly 12th place finish...once, something amazing happened.

18e8a1817f679-screenshotUrl.jpg

However, much like Liverpool FC's most recent title triumph, this victory comes with a significant asterisk... I had just been demoted to DR B for the first time in more than a year.

I'm ok with it, I'm racing for fun, and these races have been fun. I've no real reason except pride to cling to my ranking.

It really is incredible though, from 16th, 15th and 14th place starts all week and then immediately pole position with the same quali time once I'd been relegated.

Interesting to see what happens today.

See one of my wet laps below. 2/3 on the moisture gauge on IM, was in 2:50's with everyone else doing 2:46 or lower. Desperate for some advice for wet driving. :guilty: I did watch TheKie25's video on avoiding racing lines on wet but that alone won't account for 4 sec a lap?
It's surprising how much difference the wet line makes in the slower corners where you're braking hard and need the traction on the exit, outside of those two 1st gear corners I've seen people running the racing line and going at a similar pace so I reckon throttle control is more important than the line.

I see you're using traction control, I wouldn't be able to drive in the rain with that on because you're losing the feedback of how much grip there is and how hard you can push the car, ideally to be quick you'll be right on the limit of losing traction, any more than that you'll spin, any less you're underdriving the car and dropping time.

Here's a 2:44 in similar/maybe slightly wetter conditions to show my line, it also shows the throttle, I'm trying not to go to 100% until the car is fully straight on the exits:

I need to work on my pace in the dry I'm 2s a lap off the pace.

I don't normally do this, but Grand Valley is stumping me, so I'm hoping somebody can watch my Q lap and tell me what I'm missing. I'm something like 3/4 of a second off the time I think I should be able to achieve.

And yes, I know I don't need to take a wide line going around T2, but that's not the reason my times are so slow.

I've set BB to -2, which helps. The problem isn't the car, because I get about the same time with other cars.

Thanks in advance.

You will likely pick-up a couple tenths just by avoiding dropping to first anywhere on the course. I'm in the torque monster (Veyron) so that might be the difference, but, I'm a gear higher pretty much everywhere on the track.

I'm also barely faster than you so this is akin to the blind leading the naked. In the end, you'll probably equal my time just by keeping it in 2nd or higher the whole way 'round.🤣

:cheers:

EDIT
Thanks to everyone who shared a qualifier! Confirms I'm doing it right, I just need to chill out on the inputs. 👍

Last edited:
Hope this helps @GrumpyOldMan
Evo is waiting for you 😁😁
Thanks!
I'm also barely faster than you so this is akin to the blind leading the naked.
But don't picture it, for sure!
In the end, you'll probably equal my time just by keeping it in 2nd or higher the whole way 'round.🤣
I'm not 100% sure that's true with the Huracan - one of the leaderboard leaders uses 1st in at least one spot, but I don't doubt that I use it too much.

I'm not a huge fan of the Veyron, I feel like it's heavy whenever I make a turn with it. Well, I got my time to 2'00.672 but I still think I'm losing time in many areas here. @GrumpyOldMan so, what benefits did you get out of the Huracan? I saw that you used it on my friends board.

I guess the next cars I'll try are the Megane, Mclaren 650S and the WRX. I heard the WRX handles tight corners very well and it has smooth input.

@newmedia_dev nice packing a punch on that win, I'm sure you blew them to smithereens!!

Last edited:
I just improved my time at GV from 1:56.368 to 1:55.811. That's a pretty good improvement in one jump. So yay!, and I'm really happy. Still lots of room for improvement, of course.

I switched to the GT-R. I had run the GT-R a lot prior to this, so that probably isn't the reason for the improvement, but it brakes better than the Huracan, so it doesn't hurt, that's for sure.

But to show you how far behind I was of the others ahead of me, I was 9th on my friends list before the improvement, and I'm still 9th!

1711723388115.png

But of course I'm much closer now.

EDIT:
I'm not a huge fan of the Veyron, I feel like it's heavy whenever I make a turn with it.
That's the way I felt about the Veyron, too, but I can't help but wonder if that's because of the lackluster engine sound?
@GrumpyOldMan so, what benefits did you get out of the Huracan? I saw that you used it on my friends board.
I felt like the Huracan was more responsive than the Veyron, but again, engine sound could be the reason I felt that way. Also, I don't like driving cars I have to short-shift.

If you can get the feel for the GT-R (with brake balance set to -2 or -3), there's a reason it's all over the leaderboard.

Last edited:
It really is incredible though, from 16th, 15th and 14th place starts all week and then immediately pole position with the same quali time once I'd been relegated.

It really is quite the jump in how PD groups the different classes. You’d think it’ll be more progressive.

6 race B today. 4 went pretty well, but the other two... I will check the replays, but there is a bunch of A+/A drivers that seems to have a bit of an ongoing war, and I ended up in the middle of them. At one point I was able to benefit from the penalties they collected, and found myself on P2, but only half a lap later, after feeling like the ball in a pinball machine after the incrowd treating me as a brake I was down to 10.

Also had the pleasure to race against another member of the board!! Really made me super nervous that I would make an ass of myself, but I think I managed to keep it together.

In any case, between the races I managed to improve my QT with.... 3 thousands!

Last edited:
Lots of drivers quitting at Spa in my lobbies. Maybe 3-4 on average per race.

Has that been everyone else’s experience?

Hope it doesn’t indicate to PD that longer races with weather are not popular as I’d like more of them!

I don't understand why PD filter SR A-C drivers in SR S races. I get you have to put these drivers somewhere but it's annoying when your trying to drive clean and fair

So been grinding to get that DR A, and every time I'm close I end up having a bad race all down to no fault of my own. I'm not saying all SR A-C drivers are dirty and I have had some clean races with some, but when watching the replay I can I see why they have this status. There race craft is poor. The common theme was always dives into corners and pushing people off on corner exits.

Couple of races today, P11, P8 and a P3. As it's public holiday not sure I'll race again today.

Last edited:
Did a couple races on the euro circuit. Bumped into @benjoi84. One race was good the other I got entangled with a dirty A/A driver that seemed to think that bumping and side swiping to pass was ok.

That was the only real negative at GV this week. All the rest have been super fun!
I don't think you were in it, but I did one Race B today, and @benjoi84 was in that! If I hadn't opted to run Race C instead, we might have met too.

I may have one more go after my lunch. Not often I get on the European server in social hours.

They’ve been fast lobbies. Even with an improved time of 1:55.006 my start has only been mid pack with many a 1/2+s quicker still.
GT7 | DR B 24-13 QT | So close to sub 1:55 at Grand Valley | Lancer

Last edited:
Also had the pleasure to race against another member of the board!! Really made me super nervous that I would make an ass of myself, but I think I managed to keep it together.

In any case, between the races I managed to improve my QT with.... 3 thousands!
Yes followed you for a lap then got a 0.5 penalty and finished a few places behind.
Sticking with the Huracán, to late to change now, had been using BB -3 then tried +3 and the turn in was so much sharper and jumped 0.3 to a 1.54.5**.
This put me top 5 in A+/A lobbies which moved my DR up after 6 races.

6 B races this morning in the Evo and it’s competitive but a lot of work when a GTR is close on the finish straight.
All 6 races I ended with Clean Race Bonus !!

@icycls was prophetic but he had more confidence in me than I did 😂

Fun getting it done for the first time.
IMG_6818.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6821.png
    IMG_6821.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
6 B races this morning in the Evo and it’s competitive but a lot of work when a GTR is close on the finish straight.
All 6 races I ended with Clean Race Bonus !!

@icycls was prophetic but he had more confidence in me than I did 😂

Fun getting it done for the first time.View attachment 1341441
Called it! Damn.... Good driving! I knew him when..... :)

I think I am somewhere between 1 year and infinity from reaching A+. And my current trend is not in that direction!

Again, congrats!

Yes followed you for a lap then got a 0.5 penalty and finished a few places behind.
Sticking with the Huracán, to late to change now, had been using BB -3 then tried +3 and the turn in was so much sharper and jumped 0.3 to a 1.54.5**.
This put me top 5 in A+/A lobbies which moved my DR up after 6 races.
That's a super time! Sub 400 on the Friday is very impressive!

I noticed that there are elevation changes as I go through some of the turns and corners which makes it hard to get a good qualifying time.

Honestly I hate Sector 3 with the tunnel and then the two consecutive left-right turns where the pole rods are. It's a tricky chicane for me, I have gotten a penalty here at least 10 times. Frustrating. Other times I'll hit the left wall on the last tunnel before the straightway to the finish line.

It happens with about every car that I use.

Last edited:
But if it's constantly in 3rd quarter of (the water depth bar) then full wets are viable and competitive.
Can vouch this is correct.

After 8 painfully long dry races, I finally got a wet Spa. @Talon16 was there on his alt-account with no qualifying time. I was hoping to duel with him since I never get chance to do that. Every time he is in my lobby, somehow drama happens in my otherwise peaceful races.

Sadly, drama did happen. I got damaged front wheel due to a very late braker at the bus stop in lap 1, which meant that I needed to lift at Raidillon on lap 2 which made Talon breeze past me. I was still able to keep up with him until someone rejoined the track unsafely at Pouhon in front of me.

When rain arrived, I knew from the radar that I needed to put on wets as commented by newmedia_dev and cyirush. It helped me in clawing back my position from 11th to 5th by being like 2-3 seconds per lap faster. Legit made me feel like reinmeister, lol.

Last edited:
Mixed bag so far this week. Now managed 3 wins with the Mazda, thankfully my quali time still brings pole positions.

Grand Valley I'm rubbish at in quali but starting to enjoy the racing now, it's very close and often door banging which is a shame.

Haven't been able to complete a race at Spa yet. First one got the tyres completely wrong because I wasn't expecting the weather to move that slowly, second attempt I put inters on instead of wets and both counts was 2 minutes down. Let's see what the weekend brings.

After 8 painfully long dry races, I finally got a wet Spa. @Talon16 was there on his alt-account with no qualifying time. I was hoping to duel with him since I never get chance to do that. Every time he is in my lobby, somehow drama happens in my otherwise peaceful races.

Sadly, drama did happen. I got damaged front wheel due to a very late braker at the bus stop in lap 1, which meant that I needed to lift at Raidillon on lap 2 which made Talon breeze past me. I was still able to keep up with him until someone rejoined the track unsafely at Pouhon in front of me.

When rain arrived, I knew from the radar that I needed to put on wets as commented by newmedia_dev and cyirush. It helped me in clawing back my position from 11th to 5th by being like 2-3 seconds per lap faster. Legit made me feel like reinmeister, lol.
How wet was it? How high was the bar graphic on the lower left? There’s a fine line between needing full wets and being able to use Inters. Somewhere between 50% and 75% I think, but haven’t done any testing.

Cool! Which car where you in?

That was my first race C of the week and was a last second decision lol

Last edited:
Back