GT7 is compatible with motion rig ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 683 comments
It's been the same exact structure ever since GT6, only thing that has ever changed was the listen port in 7.

There's an extra api called the live timing api with all the extra information one would wish to have but it requires live events permissions.

I've been documenting all sorts of things that the game can expose in general, but the Sim Interface is the only public one.

Last edited:
Hi there,

did the telemtry data includes somthing for the flags (white flag e.g.) and the car spottings?

I race GT7 on PS5 using Simhub for some nice external stuff like wind simulators, LCD-Dashbard and also LED-Spotters.

But. The LED-Spotters just show the gear, but NOT Flags or other cars behind me/at my side.

So maybe this telemtry is missing in generaly?

Thank you and Greetings from Germany :)

Hi there,

did the telemtry data includes somthing for the flags (white flag e.g.) and the car spottings?

I race GT7 on PS5 using Simhub for some nice external stuff like wind simulators, LCD-Dashbard and also LED-Spotters.

But. The LED-Spotters just show the gear, but NOT Flags or other cars behind me/at my side.

So maybe this telemtry is missing in generaly?

Thank you and Greetings from Germany :)
Neither flags nor nearby cars are in telemetry, no. To be honest, telemetry is very limited, and if you browse this thread you can find all info we have.

Neither flags nor nearby cars are in telemetry, no. To be honest, telemetry is very limited, and if you browse this thread you can find all info we have.
This is sad, but thank you, good to know its not my fault :)

So maybe GT7 adds more telemetry later with updates (would be nice)

C_L
I've been going back and forth with this - my first play with the updated profile I ran without a television and it worked just as well. Second play was with the television and tracking support on; I didn't notice a difference in tracking. Third play, same setup - unplayable as the system kept pausing to reset play area boundaries. I'm thinking it has to do with the light in the room at the time of play - the first two were in the evening with uniform light coming from the overhead fan, whereas the third play and initial play with VR was in daytime with bleed through from the shutters just right of the rig.

The other question to tackle is which is better; sit area or standing/movement area when determining the best settings.

Here is my buddy trying it out

You wrote that there were problems with PSVR2 + Motion in the beginning because there is no motion compensation on PS5 and it kept getting you off the field.

So, as I understand it, you have solution

a) the motion regulated down

b) uses the PSVR 2 “Tracking Support” on a monitor

If the monitor is mounted directly on the rig itself, the "tracking support" image will move with the motion of the rig. Is this the solution, so now this works as a good VR motion compensation? Even if the motion is not set low but high?

The background is: I'm also considering getting a https://www.simrig.se/products/sr2/ and using it with PS5 / GT7 / PSVR2 :)

At the beginning I also had the problem that I lost the tracking, but that was probably more due to the light and since I have displayed the tracking support image on the monitor on the rig, everything is fine. But I'm concerned about spending 4000 euros for Motion and then it doesn't work with PSVR2 because I'm constantly "shown out of my seat" panic ^^

Are you happy with PSVR2/GT7 and Motion now? Or are you still having problems?

Last edited:
You wrote that there were problems with PSVR2 + Motion in the beginning because there is no motion compensation on PS5 and it kept getting you off the field.

If the monitor is mounted directly on the rig itself, the "tracking support" image will move with the motion of the rig. Is this the solution, so now this works as a good VR motion compensation? Even if the motion is not set low but high?

The background is: I'm also considering getting a https://www.simrig.se/products/sr2/ and using it with PS5 / GT7 / PSVR2 :)

At the beginning I also had the problem that I lost the tracking, but that was probably more due to the light and since I have displayed the tracking support image on the monitor on the rig, everything is fine. But I'm concerned about spending 4000 euros for Motion and then it doesn't work with PSVR2 because I'm constantly "shown out of my seat" panic ^^

Sweet looking rig!

This is a classic case of life laughing at plans; I've used my setup twice since I last posted.

I took the VESA mount and monitor off the motion rig and now leave it against the wall with the 'tracking' feature turned off. I meant to wall mount it and then do a back-to-back with the feature on/off but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll make this a priority project next month and report back.

I still have out of out of frame issues on extreme pitch instances such as Grand Valley Highway and there is particularly noticeable movement inside the cockpit on banked surfaces; it puts you quickly in the center of the car and then floats you around afterwards. These instances typically happen once big time, then slightly thereafter. It does feel as if the game is trying to compensate/account for the issue. Or I'm just bracing/anticipating for it.

Coincidence or not, I found playing in the evening without natural light coming from the window and resetting your position (holding start button) multiple times calms down the movement inside the cockpit. That or I'm adjusting to the movement and staying still. But even doing it later in the race seem to have a benefit so I try to reset the position a few times in the first lap. Two weeks ago I played for several hours, resetting position multiple times in the first lap, and could complete 10 lap races comfortably without issues on Nurburgring, Redbull Ring and Kyoto in gr.4 and gr.3 cars.

Another immersion breaker I found was the transmission shifts need to be vehicle category specific - I took that minivan out for a spin and the gear changes felt like a shifter kart. Whatever telemetry is being seen for gear shifts may be simple data that's triggering the action in SRS, looking back now all shifts feel pretty much the same. This was a benefit with the buttkicker running over a split audio channel on my older rig; some cars had a good jolt (Cayman gr.4) on shift whereas others you couldn't feel anything (most low power nxxx cars).

This also reminds me, I ordered the 3d-sim pedal shakers, never got em. Will need to inquire. Also gotta look into the bungy cord harness trick. And I plan to add the SRS wind module over the summer, there's an immense thrill driving open air cars like the Radical in the game. See - plans and life, two separate things.

All said and done I recommend it, especially if you're like me: not computer savvy and use this for recreation purposes only. I'm using my real life experiences (touristenfahrts, karting, DEs, autocross, time attack, racing schools, etc.) as the benchmarks for feeling and fun, I don't play GT7 competitively or even online for that matter. My issues would likely be resolved with a little more seat time tweaking the settings - turning up the pitch and roll thresholds will probably quell all my movement issues and creating sets for car categories. It is not a precise piece of kit (hardware or software) other options appear to be finer if you are interested in getting the most out of Gran Turismo 7 competitively.

In retrospect I'd have gone with the P2. The traction loss feels great on initial breakaway but doesn't return to position in a convincing way, there is either a noticeable delay to return or it snaps when there is still return movement ongoing.

Will be in Hamburg next week for a few days and then in Trier end of October (Touristenfahrt one day), if you're in the areas or come by SoCal, first round's on me.

C_L
This also reminds me, I ordered the 3d-sim pedal shakers, never got em. Will need to inquire
When did you order? Sim3D is a one-man show and it takes Calvin Dent about 2-3 months for new orders to ship…
But it’s well worth the wait, the rumble motors are great! (Have them on brake & throttle for lock/slip)

When did you order? Sim3D is a one-man show and it takes Calvin Dent about 2-3 months for new orders to ship…
But it’s well worth the wait, the rumble motors are great! (Have them on brake & throttle for lock/slip)
Jan 30 I put the order in. Was ready for a wait, he has a big disclaimer on the website it will take awhile. I reached out earlier this week via email and facebook only asking for an update, I'm in no rush. Are you running them on Gran Turismo 7? I was worried the ABS lockup feature may not function, unsure if that telemetry is being processed out via SRS and it'd be picked up.

So it's been a long week battling against my DOF P3 rig, one motor sized up on me after like 25-30min of testing by my estimate. I bought a replacement thankfully and that's been going well. The seized up motor actually started turning again after I left it alone for a couple days.

I then had this weird issue where the physics were doing the opposite of what they should have been doing. I was leaning into turns and "IF" I lost traction, it would take while and then it'd be in reverse >_< What was happening was I was running the GT-SRS-PROXY app alongside the SRS 2.0 app. The moment I exited from the SRS Proxy, the rig behaved perfectly. I need to do a few tweaks; increase the roll side to side and the traction loss needs to start sooner and a little more pronounced.

Jerome

So it's been a long week battling against my DOF P3 rig, one motor sized up on me after like 25-30min of testing by my estimate. I bought a replacement thankfully and that's been going well. The seized up motor actually started turning again after I left it alone for a couple days.

I then had this weird issue where the physics were doing the opposite of what they should have been doing. I was leaning into turns and "IF" I lost traction, it would take while and then it'd be in reverse >_< What was happening was I was running the GT-SRS-PROXY app alongside the SRS 2.0 app. The moment I exited from the SRS Proxy, the rig behaved perfectly. I need to do a few tweaks; increase the roll side to side and the traction loss needs to start sooner and a little more pronounced.

Jerome
I have traction loss telemetry set at 1 and volume on 15 smoothing 20 seems to be pretty good

I have traction loss telemetry set at 1 and volume on 15 smoothing 20 seems to be pretty good
I'll give that a go, thx buddy! I've got everything where I like it, at least initially. ACC is now in a similar spot too. Maybe sometime this week I'll start the flight school in MSFS 2020. Now that the initial kinks are worked out, everything has been fantastic the past 3 days.

Jerome

Is it possible to 'trick' the PS5/PSVR2 into extending the floor space to include my rig? I tried the Watkins Glen race in the new SF23 car and basically every turn I get the GBOD (Green Bars Of Death).

Jerome

Is it possible to 'trick' the PS5/PSVR2 into extending the floor space to include my rig? I tried the Watkins Glen race in the new SF23 car and basically every turn I get the GBOD (Green Bars Of Death).

Jerome
Unfortunately its the rig moving our heads outside the car boundary's, happens in SF cars and some GT3 cars with helmet bolsters.
Hopefully PD will rectify during an update.

Unfortunately its the rig moving our heads outside the car boundary's, happens in SF cars and some GT3 cars with helmet bolsters.
Hopefully PD will rectify during an update.
Yeah it seems even if I tell the system to use a custom boundary that is many feet beyond where my head could even lean toward, it defaults to the 'sitting only' position option when in GT7 👎 That's lame and lazy, let's hope they increase that area by maybe a foot in every direction.

Jerome

Yeah it seems even if I tell the system to use a custom boundary that is many feet beyond where my head could even lean toward, it defaults to the 'sitting only' position option when in GT7 👎 That's lame and lazy, let's hope they increase that area by maybe a foot in every direction.

Jerome
Quick thought here, if I recall correctly there is a setting in the PSVR2 settings that allows to set the “box” to Low, Medium or High (this is off the top of my head here), have you tried changing that? If not, worth a shot.

Quick thought here, if I recall correctly there is a setting in the PSVR2 settings that allows to set the “box” to Low, Medium or High (this is off the top of my head here), have you tried changing that? If not, worth a shot.
I did change that, I set it to Low, but I can try setting it to High as I never circled back to try it. Thanks man!

Jerome

I think the problem is car boundarys in gt7 not the vr2 settings.
Oooh, shoot, could be, like my head is passing through the car's frame in game.

Jerome

Oooh, shoot, could be, like my head is passing through the car's frame in game.

Jerome
Yeah it only happen on cars with limited head room, can be roof, bolsters, side windows or windscreen depending on the car. Lucky its only a handful of cars that does it.

FWIW, I'm using the H3 with a monitor mounted to the wall, advanced tracking enabled on the PS5 and no room lights. I don't have any tracking issues except for the extremely rare complete loss of tracking message that sends me to the pause screen.

C_L
I've been going back and forth with this - my first play with the updated profile I ran without a television and it worked just as well. Second play was with the television and tracking support on; I didn't notice a difference in tracking. Third play, same setup - unplayable as the system kept pausing to reset play area boundaries. I'm thinking it has to do with the light in the room at the time of play - the first two were in the evening with uniform light coming from the overhead fan, whereas the third play and initial play with VR was in daytime with bleed through from the shutters just right of the rig.

The other question to tackle is which is better; sit area or standing/movement area when determining the best settings.

Here is my buddy trying it out

that thing looks badass ;) here is my attempt :

It's been the same exact structure ever since GT6, only thing that has ever changed was the listen port in 7.

There's an extra api called the live timing api with all the extra information one would wish to have but it requires live events permissions.

I've been documenting all sorts of things that the game can expose in general, but the Sim Interface is the only public one.

Are you sure it is the same structure? If I remember correctly, GT Sport had steering data included in the telemetry.

Guys, first of all congratulations for all the hard work! Highlight for Nenkai, Snipem and Bornhall. Thanks!

The use case for dashboards has now been completely resolved.

Byt I'm a C# programmer and studied the structure of packages to collect data for post-rece analysis.

I noticed that Snipem captures data from replays, and I was wondering how it knows when the lap has been completed.

Any ideas on how to loop through packets when the CarOnTrack flag is false?

I noticed that Snipem captures data from replays, and I was wondering how it knows when the lap has been completed.
I suspect he is doing the same as me and simply checking if the lap number of the previous packet is less than the current one. I think these lines are responsible:

Latest Posts

Back