GT7, manual gearbox not working

• Thread starter Marcusss97
  • 18 comments
Poland
Poland
Hey everyone. I have a problem with GT7 playing on the Logitech steering wheel, namely the gear shift does not work when the gearbox is switched to manual. The paddles are set and in the menu they normally work like the L1 and R1 buttons, but they don't work just during the race/challenges, it looks as if the game did not see them then. In the controller settings I tried changing to L2 and R2 but that didn't help either. Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to deal with it? I checked in history, but I did not saw such a subject posted yet. Wheel is Logitech G923, im playing on PS5. 2

He doesn't mention an H shifter. @Marcusss97 is it your paddles or is it the separate H shifter that aren't working?

What car? Is it all cars?
Yes, sorry I didnt mentioned it. These are factory paddles on the steering wheel, I dont have a separate H-Shifter. I havent checked all the cars which I have until now, but I think all of them, because it didnt worked in one of music races, in 2 of challenges in 2 different cars and i 1 normal race. As I wrote, I tried to change gearbox to other buttons and it doesnt help so maybe its not fault of paddles or steering wheel but something is wromg with the game. I need to check how it looks on gamepad, Im worried that I will have to reinstall the while game :/

I have a Logitec G29 and a H-Shifter so not sure if this also applies to you without the H-Shifter but may help.

When you have a car that has a standard gearbox fitted, you also need to use the clutch pedal otherwise it will not change gears. If you have a racing gearbox it acts as a sequential and does not require the clutch (like paddles). That's my experience.

But I have read that if you have pressed the clutch pedle in a race, you then need to use it for the rest of the race regardless of any settings. I'm not sure how true that is as I haven't tried that out, I'm also not sure how that would affect the paddle shifters too as they shouldn't need the clutch at all.

Hopefully this makes some sense and you can try these out.

Last edited:
I have a Logitec G29 and a H-Shifter so not sure if this also applies to you without the H-Shifter but may help.

When you have a car that has a standard gearbox fitted, you also need to use the clutch pedal otherwise it will not change gears. If you have a racing gearbox it acts as a sequential and does not require the clutch (like paddles). That's my experience.

But I have read that if you have pressed the clutch pedle in a race, you then need to use it for the rest of the race regardless of any settings. I'm not sure how true that is as I haven't tried that out, I'm also not sure how that would affect the paddle shifters too as they shouldn't need the clutch at all.

Hopefully this makes some sense and you can try these out.
Unfortunately it didnt worked, I tried it on some cars and nothinf changed :/

Hey everyone. I have a problem with GT7 playing on the Logitech steering wheel, namely the gear shift does not work when the gearbox is switched to manual. The paddles are set and in the menu they normally work like the L1 and R1 buttons, but they don't work just during the race/challenges, it looks as if the game did not see them then. In the controller settings I tried changing to L2 and R2 but that didn't help either. Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to deal with it? I checked in history, but I did not saw such a subject posted yet. Wheel is Logitech G923, im playing on PS5. 2
After some time I tried to look if manual gearbox works on standard gamepad and yes, I can shift gears in every car (I guess). I tried to play with wheel in WRC 10 with manual gearbox and it also works in this game, so I dont really know where is the problem in GT7. As I wrote I tried to change buttons on wheel to shift but it didnt help, it just looks like game dont see it or dont allow me to use manual gearbox when wheel is connected. What is funny, it worked when my friend was playing on my wheel when I borrowed it to him and he played in several games like WRC, F1 and also GT7, I would like not to unistall the game but maybe it would help.

After some time I tried to look if manual gearbox works on standard gamepad and yes, I can shift gears in every car (I guess). I tried to play with wheel in WRC 10 with manual gearbox and it also works in this game, so I dont really know where is the problem in GT7. As I wrote I tried to change buttons on wheel to shift but it didnt help, it just looks like game dont see it or dont allow me to use manual gearbox when wheel is connected. What is funny, it worked when my friend was playing on my wheel when I borrowed it to him and he played in several games like WRC, F1 and also GT7, I would like not to unistall the game but maybe it would help.
How do you fix it?

@LOGI_Rich sorry to bother you here, but maybe you can help.
I have seen a similar report in a different forum and I've been trying to help there to get it to work, but so far to no avail.
It's the same issue as described above. Manual shifting is not possible in normal GT7 modes, but with some exceptions:
It does work in Sport Mode (as there the clutch and H-Shifters are disabled)
It works in the menu (so the buttons work)
It works on a freshly created account.
Changing the shifting commands to other buttons doesn't help.

The user there doesn't have an H-Shifter and he said that the wheel was already changed once, without change.

I don't know where this is but something on the software side of things has to be wrong, just no idea where. I pinged you just hoping that maybe you've already come across this issue and a potential fix.

The one thing that worries me a bit is that, in GT7, when you go check the wheel inputs (like the turn radius and pedal inputs), it shows as an Unknown device instead of a G923.
According to the user he tried all USB ports and no other HUBs etc. are put in between.

I have now asked the user to increase the deadzone of the clutch pedal within GT7 to see if this has any effect, that maybe the clutch activates itself causing this

Last edited:
It's not clear which part of it isn't working for him - could you elaborate? Without a H pattern shifter the clutch really doesn't have much use in GT7, in my experience.

Bonus question: if it's showing as an unknown device... I can't explain that, but the obvious thing to ask here is whether it's a PlayStation G923 or an Xbox G923 and they're using something like Drivehub/Raslution adapter to get it working on the Playstation?

It's not clear which part of it isn't working for him - could you elaborate? Without a H pattern shifter the clutch really doesn't have much use in GT7, in my experience.

Bonus question: if it's showing as an unknown device... I can't explain that, but the obvious thing to ask here is whether it's a PlayStation G923 or an Xbox G923 and they're using something like Drivehub/Raslution adapter to get it working on the Playstation?
Sorry - using the wheel, he's unable to shift. It doesn't matter if the controls are set to the pedal shifters on the wheel or if he puts the shifting on other buttons - it doesn't work.
But it does work e.g. in Sport Mode. That's why I'm assuming it has something to do with the clutch as it's disabled there

That’s definitely odd. It suggests that the issue is down to the wheel not being recognised correctly, so that goes back to my question as to whether it’s the PS version or the XB version and they’re using an adapter.

Is it working correctly on other titles?

That’s definitely odd. It suggests that the issue is down to the wheel not being recognised correctly, so that goes back to my question as to whether it’s the PS version or the XB version and they’re using an adapter.

They told me that the wheel is directly plugged in to the console, so no adapter as far as I know.
Unfortunately I haven't received another reply in a few days so nothing more I can add at the moment.
They haven't mentioned other games but it did work OK on a different account on the same console with GT7.
Which is a bit weird but then again I believe per default there is a small dead zone set to the clutch pedal so maybe they changed it.
I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

But maybe @Marcusss97 can give more input, as he created this thread with seemingly the exact same issue

Last edited:

Other games work fine,
It's the Playstation version directly plugged in to the console.

Increasing the clutch dead zone didn't help, so I'm completely out of guesses now

Yep, the clutch is the obvious thing - without a H pattern shifter attached, if the clutch is activated then the car will stay in Neutral and you can shift all you want but it won't actually shift until you let go of the clutch (it'll even remember how many times you shifted and be in the relevant gear).

One last thought: have they been playing with the Dual Clutch feature on the wheel at all? That shouldn't affect it but, just in case, you can clear any dual clutch setting by pressing and holding the square button and both gear shift paddles together for 3 seconds.

Yep, the clutch is the obvious thing - without a H pattern shifter attached, if the clutch is activated then the car will stay in Neutral and you can shift all you want but it won't actually shift until you let go of the clutch (it'll even remember how many times you shifted and be in the relevant gear).

One last thought: have they been playing with the Dual Clutch feature on the wheel at all? That shouldn't affect it but, just in case, you can clear any dual clutch setting by pressing and holding the square button and both gear shift paddles together for 3 seconds.
Unfortunately that didn't help either...
But thanks for your help!

Latest Posts

Back