GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,392 comments
Until Sony release terrible hardware I am extremely optimistic.
Its such a great experience.

I hope they have the figures for how many GT7 VR users no longer do any 2d driving. It might blow their minds.

If Sony were to ask me what I wanted I would agree with stopping PSVR2 and get cracking with PSVR3, make it PC compatible from the very start and suitable for PS5 Pro but tailored for PS6 launch.
My tweek to the market would be the hardware bundle you get, just the headset is needed for us VR drivers, no need for expensive controllers thrown in. This would follow their disc drive or digital PS5 unit philosophy for reduced purchase price and less capability.

I can see why they did not do that for PSVR2 but I think it was a mistake. But who know they might change their mind soon and stop inventory of the controllers and keep supplying the headset displays as a new retail package for PS5 and PC customers.

Going back to the user data they have for what is popular, I like to think Sony may even think about specilisation in hardware. So in the (distant?) future there is a new Sony console that is called the PS GT. The hardware that only stores and runs Gran Turismo and various sim extras supported, the market is there with crazy prices for plastic steering wheels. A new higher end arena for GT VR drivers could exist.

It is something Sony have not tested, they could make good VR kits for $3500 (same price as the Apple headset) , and not make a loss.
The experience would be aswesome, and it would create a seperate market form the users who consider $500 too much for a VR headset.

A point I could go on making but you could spend $500 on fuel and tyres and brake dust for just a few hours of fun track driving in real life.
Though I dont know if Sony are ready to develop a hobby market rather than a general casual gaming device. Possibly a new brand name needs creating to provide all that.

In the meantime I'm enjoying the guilty pleasure of GT7 in VR, all these hours not costing me anything other than the electricity (and whatever PS+ is per hour of membership!)

I’ve just bought VR2, very nice. I do miss the track map and timing table when racing competitively though. Why couldn’t PD have given us HUD options to select the HUD you wanted?
My theory is that it would drop the frame rate or overall image quality to an unacceptable level if those were running. Maybe they'll update PSVR2 mode for the PS5 Pro and include higher base resolution before up-scaling, and maybe even include real time ray tracing mode and further draw distance for less pop-in as well as the rest of the HUD, or some combination of those things.

I’ve just bought VR2, very nice. I do miss the track map and timing table when racing competitively though. Why couldn’t PD have given us HUD options to select the HUD you wanted?
I'm here just to say that I like your username. :D

And I agree without point too, of course. I think we all do!

Yoooooooooooo. Absolutely incredible. Just sitting in Pit Garage 1. Love the detail of the air space from the rear of the door. The dash details are too cool. Totally different car from what I was seeing in PC2.

It was enough just walking around the car while the engine was revving. A true Gran Turismo Legend.

Edit: @GlamFM not only do we get to own it, we get to sit in it and steer it all the time. Poor poor real car collectors. :sly:

Last edited:
First drive was in the Neo-Classic at Big Willow. My word! I finished 2nd 4.1 seconds behind the Nissan. The GT-One is too easy. I detuned the power to 70%(535 BHP), front downforce at 579 and left the RM. front left was red at the finish. Rest of the tyres were good to keep the quick through to the end.
Smooth power from the TT V8. Sounds great in the replay. During the race the engine had me chuckling due to its smooth power delivery to the rear wheels. Below is the fuel situation.
20970596866163218.jpg

The “Last” reading is avg litres/100 per lap. Fuel capacity looks to be 100L. I had a low of 8.4L/100km to the high of 9.8/100km after chasing the Nissan on the last lap. 1 lap of fuel left in the tank at the finish line. Just ran as hard as I could to catch the Group C leaders.

Going to run the Le Mans race and then the Neo-Classic at Fuji. Awesome car.

First drive was in the Neo-Classic at Big Willow. My word! I finished 2nd 4.1 seconds behind the Nissan. The GT-One is too easy. I detuned the power to 70%(535 BHP), front downforce at 579 and left the RM. front left was red at the finish. Rest of the tyres were good to keep the quick through to the end.
Smooth power from the TT V8. Sounds great in the replay. During the race the engine had me chuckling due to its smooth power delivery to the rear wheels. Below is the fuel situation.
View attachment 1340985

The “Last” reading is avg litres/100 per lap. Fuel capacity looks to be 100L. I had a low of 8.4L/100km to the high of 9.8/100km after chasing the Nissan on the last lap. 1 lap of fuel left in the tank at the finish line. Just ran as hard as I could to catch the Group C leaders.

Going to run the Le Mans race and then the Neo-Classic at Fuji. Awesome car.
It's even got a digital clock.

I had a hard crash of the headset and GT7 today during Spa daily race. The PS5 was ok and let me submit a report. I wonder if it's to do with the new update.
Putting it here now in case any other VR users have same thing after update.

It's even got a digital clock.
I initially thought it was for the brake bias. :lol:

I had a hard crash of the headset and GT7 today during Spa daily race. The PS5 was ok and let me submit a report. I wonder if it's to do with the new update.
Putting it here now in case any other VR users have same thing after update.
Happened to me a while ago(so long I can’t remember). No problems since.

BWX
My theory is that it would drop the frame rate or overall image quality to an unacceptable level if those were running. Maybe they'll update PSVR2 mode for the PS5 Pro and include higher base resolution before up-scaling, and maybe even include real time ray tracing mode and further draw distance for less pop-in as well as the rest of the HUD, or some combination of those things.
I have recently read an interview of a dev from PD explaining they reduced max infos on screen to avoid motion sickness... hard to believe since an extra page in the hud menu will not add more info since you switch STC, ECO mode etc.... all in one place. but it is what he said... This is also the reason there are no shacking motion when you drive .. reducing the immersion from my pov....

Last edited:
I have recently read an interview of a dev from PD explaining they reduced max infos on screen to avoid motion sickness... hard to believe since an extra page in the hud menu will not add more info since you switch STC, ECO mode etc.... all in one place. but it is what he said... This is also the reason there are no shaking motion when you drive .. reducing the immersion from my pov....
I think that's great that they implemented those features but they should be optional.

IIRC but I think some of those mandates are from Sony. I believe that VR games have to be approved/tested by Sony before released, as an effort to make VR more palatable/marketable.

I think we're bumping up against what the Playstation brand is... It's ultimately a toy for children. A lot of us here are adults with relatively ample monetary resources to splurge on games but because we're adults we're wanting more than they're willing to give. And they're only willing to give so much because they're factoring in the 8, 11, 13 year olds who play these games.

I have recently read an interview of a dev from PD explaining they reduced max infos on screen to avoid motion sickness... hard to believe since an extra page in the hud menu will not add more info since you switch STC, ECO mode etc.... all in one place. but it is what he said... This is also the reason there are no shaking motion when you drive .. reducing the immersion from my pov....
Clearly he was talking about the number of info screens overall (in view), not how many you can have in the MFD ...so they didn't think that through very well. I don't like to complain about GT7 in VR because I find it so mind-numbingly awesome given that I grew up with Pong and the very first racing computer games. I also know that changing things in a computer interface is hardly ever as easy as non-programmers think it is. However, in this case I do think they should have added another info screen or two to the MFD by now!

As for shaking motion, have you driven the little old Renault thing off-road yet? ...the dash shakes like it's about to fall to bits! But if you are suggesting that the entire POV should shake like that then no thank you, leave it as it is - I don't want to have to clean my rig of vomit every time I race off-road!

It's ultimately a toy for children ... And they're only willing to give so much because they're factoring in the 8, 11, 13 year olds who play these games.
...as evidenced by the ridiculous size of one's arms and hands when driving in VR :lol:

Last edited:
...the dash shakes like it's about to fall to bits! But if you are suggesting that the entire POV should shake like that then no thank you, leave it as it is - I don't want to have to clean my rig of vomit every time I race off-road!
But I think you can agree that it should be an option for those who want it?

But I think you can agree that it should be an option for those who want it?
I don't, actually. As a programmer I am faced with decisions regarding product/system features and whether or not to allow enabling/disabling/configuration etc. every day. If you add a new feature, that's nice. If you add config options to it, that increases the complexity of the system for the new user, which is not a good thing. If you allow that feature to be enabled or disabled then you can be sure that half the users won't know how to find the control and will be running the system in the wrong mode for their preference, complaining that you should be able to turn something on or off (delete as appropriate). This is just the way it is (in my considerable experience of such matters), so you have to make a judgment call as to how many people might want to be able to enable/disable/configure that feature, and always err on the side of simplicity if at all possible. In this case I think they are 100% right to NOT add movement to the POV. And besides, your brain smooths all that out in real-life, so you don't notice it. I know this because I have 'essential tremor' and even though others see my head shaking away, my vision is completely steady. I rest my case m'laud.

In this case I think they are 100% right to NOT add movement to the POV. And besides, your brain smooths all that out in real-life, so you don't notice it.
I disagree with you here. It's extremely noticeable and immersion breaking when running the Indy course.

I get where you're coming from and that most users are too stupid to realize their own errors and are quick to blame the developer. Personally, I don't want to suffer the consequences of having to cater to the lowest common denominator.
If you add config options to it, that increases the complexity of the system for the new user, which is not a good thing.
I get it, as someone who works in the IT field. But this game is supposed to be a simulation, by it's nature there's a level of expected complexity. It's not like we're talking about a Disney Cars racing game.

Clearly he was talking about the number of info screens overall (in view), not how many you can have in the MFD ...so they didn't think that through very well. I don't like to complain about GT7 in VR because I find it so mind-numbingly awesome given that I grew up with Pong and the very first racing computer games. I also know that changing things in a computer interface is hardly ever as easy as non-programmers think it is. However, in this case I do think they should have added another info screen or two to the MFD by now!

As for shaking motion, have you driven the little old Renault thing off-road yet? ...the dash shakes like it's about to fall to bits! But if you are suggesting that the entire POV should shake like that then no thank you, leave it as it is - I don't want to have to clean my rig of vomit every time I race off-road!
he was talking about reducing "floating text" in the GUI making comparison about Non VR GUI and VR GUI...

you can find infos there about cleaning the inboard shacking and cleaning VR GUI...

most important for me is the hard work they did to recreate real atmosphere, ozone, photon etc etc to make realistic light and texture more alive..

I'll bet all my cars in the garage PS5 Pro will bring native 90Hz without reprojection considering the issue they got with 90Hz/PS5

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.38 (2).png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.38 (2).png
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.26 (2).png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.26 (2).png
    98.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.16 (2).png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.44.16 (2).png
    59 KB · Views: 7
I turned those floaters off the first week. Never to return. Too weird and immersion breaking. The deck off to the side is necessary though and would benefit with another card or two. That said, 90% of my racing is with the zoomed out weather map ao i can pretend it isn’t there. However, when ya need it, ya need it!

Ps. I wouldn’t object to some sort of a penalty indicator, if they ever add a timinga etc card. Sometimes, the slow downs a bit of a surprise. By sometimes i mean pretty much always🙄

I only got $600
I think that's great that they implemented those features but they should be optional.

IIRC but I think some of those mandates are from Sony. I believe that VR games have to be approved/tested by Sony before released, as an effort to make VR more palatable/marketable.

I think we're bumping up against what the Playstation brand is... It's ultimately a toy for children. A lot of us here are adults with relatively ample monetary resources to splurge on games but because we're adults we're wanting more than they're willing to give. And they're only willing to give so much because they're factoring in the 8, 11, 13 year olds who play these games.
I had my nieces and their friends try it over the holidays 8-15...they didn't enjoy it at all. They found the games as they said "not very fun" and "the headset hurts after awhile". Anecdotally I always felt like VR is mainly aimed for adults than younger adults/kids.

I bought a bunch of games they wanted to try too

Last edited:
I only got $600

I had my nieces and their friends try it over the holidays 8-15...they didn't enjoy it at all. They found the games as they said "not very fun" and "the headset hurts after awhile". Anecdotally I always felt like VR is mainly aimed for adults than younger adults/kids.

I bought a bunch of games they wanted to try too
Kids these days....

Jerome

Latest Posts

Back