GT7 Updates Are Good, But...

ScottPuss20

Pretty Kitty
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
ScottPuss20
CheetahsMeow
How long will we have to wait to receive seemingly "obvious" cars? A heap of them are still absent, despite being featured in earlier games. Here are just some of the cars that the game should have:

NB Mazda MX-5
NC Mazda MX-5
Mitsubishi Evo 9
Nissan Skyline R31 GTS-R
Toyota MR-2/MR-S
Toyota MR-2 Supercharged
Toyota Celica Gen 1, 4, 5 and 7
Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS300
Subaru Impreza WRX STi Gen 3
VW Golf GTi MK4, MK5 and MK6
Honda Civic EP Type R and EG6
Honda Integra Type R DC5
Mitsubishi Eclipse Gen 2
Mitsubishi FTO
BMW M5 E60
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Ford Mustang S197
Chevrolet Camaro SS Gen 4
Chevrolet Corvette C5

It confuses me as to why these vehicles aren't in because they're very popular among enthusiasts. These are the cars that PD should be focusing on before adding novelties such as an ambulance.

Last edited:
The thing is, literally ANY car is popular among their respective enthusiasts, and they can’t literally add every car ever made. They have to make choices and are limited by a lot of factors, which results in them releasing a selection of cars that’s only going to appeal to a (relatively) select group of enthusiasts which in turn disappoints a (relatively) large group of people that aren’t interested in that particular car.

Sure PD’s choice of car(s) to release is more often than not, questionable, like this months ambulance. But that’s just the reality that we have to deal with. Their choices are always going to upset people, no matter what car they choose to release.

The thing is, literally ANY car is popular among their respective enthusiasts, and they can’t literally add every car ever made. They have to make choices and are limited by a lot of factors, which results in them releasing a selection of cars that’s only going to appeal to a (relatively) select group of enthusiasts which in turn disappoints a (relatively) large group of people that aren’t interested in that particular car.

Sure PD’s choice of car(s) to release is more often than not, questionable, like this months ambulance. But that’s just the reality that we have to deal with. Their choices are always going to upset people, no matter what car they choose to release.
The cars that I've listed are cars that many people know about, even if they aren't necessarily "fans" of them. No you can't please everyone but you should try to please as many as possible, and adding the cars above will please a lot of people.

Many of these 2000s cars are in an awkward sort of position where they were seen at the time and even still today as being somewhat disappointing compared to the classic older models even if some of them were decent or even quite good with cars like the MR-S, EP3, DC5, Golf IV/VI, Altezza and NC recieving such a reception and legacy. Regardless, they pretty much all made their way into the games of that era anyways because they were brand new cars and were very relevant in the market at the time, but as time has passed the fact many failed to become instant icons surpassing the originals has meant they've just been dropped from being featured in games as newer models replaced them meaning that bit of guaranteed relevance they had passed.

After all, if you're making a game now or a few years ago and have to put in a Golf you'd be looking at the newest GTI or R to add in as that's what's relevant right now, whereas if you're looking for a classic you'd think about the iconic and retro models that are the MK1 and MK2. The cars in-between are in this sort of "not really retro but definitely not new and relevant either" spot which is why we don't have many mid-2000s models and the few we do tend to be GT5 leftovers.

Polyphony really aren't the only ones guilty of this, sure Forza Horizon has decent representation from the time but most of these cars are X360 era carry-overs too that don't exactly look top notch and aren't really new content so I wouldn't count them. A good example would be the EP3 Civic. While it actually is in FH5 it's an ancient Forza 3 relic that's been dragged along for 15 years. The last other console game before that to include it was Gran Turismo 6, where it's a PS2 GT Concept 2001 carry-over. The last time someone actually looked at that car and decided to make a brand new model of it for a console racing game might have genuinely been Forza 3 in the late 2000s. It's sibling car, the DC5 Integra Type R has suffered the same fate. It hasn't been seen in a console game since Gran Turismo 6, where it was brought over Gran Turismo HD content from 2006. Around the same time as GT6 it also was in Grid Autosport too, but that again re-uses some Racedriver Grid assets from 2007, so again it's not a very popular car with game designers.

Now this doesn't of course explain everything as not all of the cars are in this situation, some are actually popular and Polyphony themselves are just generally erratic and nonsensical with their vehicle and game design choices anyways, but I think those factors play a big role in why some of these cars of that particular era haven't been seen in Gran Turismo or almost any other series in a while.

How long will we have to wait to receive seemingly "obvious" cars? A heap of them are still absent, despite being featured in earlier games. Here are just some of the cars that the game should have:

NB Mazda MX-5
NC Mazda MX-5
Mitsubishi Evo 9
Nissan Skyline R31 GTS-R
Toyota MR-2/MR-S
Toyota MR-2 Supercharged
Honda Integra Type R DC5
Mitsubishi Eclipse Gen 2
Mitsubishi FTO
BMW M5 E60
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Ford Mustang S197
Chevrolet Corvette C5

It confuses me as to why these vehicles aren't in because they're very popular among enthusiasts. These are the cars that PD should be focusing on before adding novelties such as an ambulance.
If all the cars listed - I might get excited for maybe 5.

Thing is, there’s a lot of cars people consider “obvious”, and already just about every car that’s been added has been unique or offered something different to what’s already in the game. Exceptions being the ND Miata, 2nd S14, and updated BRZ - but most of those shared portions of existing cars that allowed for more efficient copy/paste modeling.

We got three fairly “obvious” additions in this most recent batch - MC20, GR Corolla, and a Corvette generation that hasn’t been represented with modern standards since the PS2 era. You know what else would be obvious (and has been brought up numerous times already)?

• Transaxle Porsches
  • Lexus LFA
  • BMW 2002
  • Any of the last 2-3 generations of M3/5/6
  • Gallardo
  • Murci 670SV
  • Audi R8 V10 (any generation)
  • Mclaren 570/720/Artura (road or race versions)
  • Acura Integra ‘23
  • Any of many absent generations of Mustang
  • Nissan Skyline/Infiniti G35/37
  • Subaru WRX ‘21+
  • Gen 1 Viper
  • Ferrari 488 or 296
  • Any updated model from at least half the brands in the main racing groups (just for one example, the 488 GTE and GT3 were racing for nearly two whole years before GT Sport released, and has since been retired and replaced with the 296, and we’re still operating with the 10 year old 458).
  • I could list more, but I think you get the picture.

Why haven’t any of these been added? Perhaps because there’s another thing to consider:

So far we’ve only been getting 3-5 cars per month. You just listed 26 cars. At current output rates that would take 5-9 months to get everything in there, and that’s only if they exclusively produced cars from your list. There’s soooo many good cars out there, but only so much time+labor available to get them in the game. I’m sure many of the cars in both our lists will arrive over the next year or two, but with game as broad as GT/Forza, there’s a lot of ground to cover.

Last edited:
The cars that I've listed are cars that many people know about, even if they aren't necessarily "fans" of them. No you can't please everyone but you should try to please as many as possible, and adding the cars above will please a lot of people.
I bet that the ambulance is a lot more exciting to a lot more people than a Mitsubishi FTO.

I bet that the ambulance is a lot more exciting to a lot more people than a Mitsubishi FTO.
M5, rs6, new m3/4, m3 tourer etc... I could go on.

Tbh I get the 'quirky' aspect some roll with, and there's an argument for something (anything?) other than another mx5, gtr, imprezza etc but ambulance just seems too weird for my liking. Outside of scape enthusiasts or some weird role playing I don't see an ambulance clocking mileage in game anywhere near the amount a decent performance car woukd get for most players. Sort of thing youd drive for a laugh in GTA or similar, but holds zero appeal to me. But each to their own.

Perhaps i need to expand my sense of humour, but it just seems puerile and out of place in GT7. 'Haha look how much fun it is engine swapping and ambulance snd driving it at 200mph beating supercars. Can't wait till they release an ice cream van or fire engine in a few months...'. :D

Last edited:
Get a gaming PC and Assetto Corsa. Doesn't even have to be a super expensive PC, since AC is quite an old game now. Probably 99% of all the cars and tracks people complain about missing from GT7 can be found as mods. Installing is basically just download, unzip and copy pasting folders. Grinding for cars in GT7 takes wayyy longer. No, the quality isn't as pixel perfect as PD's models, but would you rather have thousands of cars at 90% quality or drip fed 3-5 cars per month (which may or may not be what you want). Oh and added bonus, the physics/FFB/sounds will probably be better than anything PD can come up with in 10 years. Custom grids, custom championships, day/night cycle and weather, it's all there. Even Forza and Gran Turismo combined won't compete with the amount of content out there for AC. The only thing you'll miss are online racing and car upgrades (and maybe scapes if you're into photomode). Not saying AC will replace GT (I still play both), but it will save so many people so much angst when PD's picks keep disappointing them month after month.

Just an example of the kind of content out there for AC, and this list is likely outdated because new stuff keeps getting made every day.

Almost an exhaustive list of tracks in AC. It's basically a full time job keeping up with this list. You'll be complaining there's too much content and not enough time instead.

Last week we even got St Croix converted.

Graphics mods that makes AC look like Driveclub.

UI/career mode mod that makes AC look like classic GT.

Gran Turismo is Kaz's baby, and as we've seen over 25 years he just doesn't care what the community wants. You either get lucky and your car/track of choice gets included, or you'll be waiting a lifetime for it to get added. Get AC, and build the racing game of your dreams instead of wasting time complaining or making lists on a forum that will get you nowhere.

Last edited:
Man if only Gran Turismo was opened up for modding.

I mean look at Gt2 and Gt5 master mod. And the potential of modding.

If only it was opened up and a whole new game would be opened up.

I would rather see a proper career mode that we were promised before release.

A GT League that is in line with previous GT’s but updated for 2023, with proper reoccurring rewards and relevant events. Ofcourse grid starts etc with proper championships is a must.

Gt cafe is rubbish and should only be a side mission.

New cars and tracks are a must but unless they add every single car and track in existence, people will never never be happy

Last edited:
I would rather see a proper career mode that we were promised before release.

A GT League that is in line with previous GT’s but updated for 2023, with proper reoccurring rewards and relevant events. Ofcourse grid starts etc with proper championships is a must.

Gt cafe is rubbish and should only be a side mission.

New cars and tracks are a must but unless they add every single car and track in existence, people will never never be happy
Agree with single player mode.

Of course there will always be cars not added that some want, but there are a host of cars that aren't niche, that imagine many woukd enjoy and woukd go a long way to pleasing the majority. I don't file ambulances or oddball vehicles like that in the list.

It's one step away from having tracks made from lego, candy or gingerbread men. Not a direction I'd like to see gt go in.

Last edited:
I would put proably new Audi rs models and BMW m5 models highest we still dont have either yet, but it feels strange we dont have lexus lfa,BMW m5 e60 or Dodge challanger demon yet, but cars to be added is so long and everyone wants different cars so Its just impossible to please everyone

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I did this statistic a while back about how many cars in GT Sport's and GT7's updates were new or returning from a past game.

GT Sport (In total, GT Sport updates added 66 all-new cars, 90 returning PS3-era premiums, 14 PS2-era/standard cars).
For purposes of this chart:
  • 996 GT3 is considered as returning under PS2 given hidden, playable car in NTSC versions of GT3, though GT Sport is that car's formal debut
  • E46 M3 '04, GTO '91, and Golf GTI '83 are considered as new due to model year (otherwise the GTO '91 would have contributed to "returning from PS1" stat)
  • GR Supra Gr.4 and AMG VGT LHC are included in "new" - as well as different variations of AMG F1 and SF19s
  • Semi-premium cars (AE86s) considered as PS2-era cars
1691232992877.png

GT7 (In total, 89 cars were added at launch on top of GT Sport cars with 59 all-new, 14 PS3-era premiums, and 16 PS2-era standards; and as of the upcoming August update, 54 cars have been added, consisting of 45 all-new cars, two returning PS3-era car - EA11R and ST205 WRC, 5 PS2-era standards, and 2 PS1-era cars - R30 Silhouette and R32 Nismo.)
For purposes of this chart:
  • Both SF23s and Exeneo VGTs are considered different cars
  • RX-Vision GT3 Stealth, Dior Mangusta, and X2019 25th are not included
  • F688/S is not considered to be the same as MP4/4 so not considered to be returning (obvious, but whatever)
  • 500 Mondial considered as new since the unused GT6 entry is only car name, not playable (vs 996 GT3)
  • GR Supra Gr.4 not part of Sport-to-7 switch, because it is already part of the GT Sport stats above
  • Semi-premium cars (Shigeno Trueno, Escudo) considered as PS2-era
  • ST205 '94, A112 '85, Zenki S14 Type S and 2004 WRX STi (GD-B "Blobeye") considered as new due to model year (and different trims)
  • S15 TC is considered as returning despite the significant body change vs the PS3 version
1691232973506.png

Last edited:
And here I am and only want new race cars, most road cars don't excite me at all.
They will never be able to please everyone, but the rate at which they are putting out cars is just too low compared to GT Sport especially.
At this rate Forza will launch with the Toyota GT-One before GT7 has it and that is a car that to me is firmly connected to the Gran Turismo franchise.

Gt sport had more cars in their updates most of time, but most of cars was returning premiums, unlike gt7 witch mostly been new cars to the series, and gt7 has upgrade parts and customaziable parts unlike sport, its been a bit slow, we should be getting 60 cars a year if we are going to belive kaz statement, the Toyota gtone will proably return, but the one the use in forza motorsport will most likely be recycled x360 model, if you just intrested in race cars its the wrong racing franshise you are playing, their is things like iracing and acc if thats more your thing, gran turismo has always had big deal of road cars, so its not supricing seeing them being added more than race cars, seems more like things people wants to be added, their is much less people intrested in the esport scene, pd knows that and thats proably why you see almost only road cars being added

Last edited:

NB Mazda MX-5
NC Mazda MX-5
Mitsubishi Evo 9
Nissan Skyline R31 GTS-R
Toyota MR-2/MR-S
Toyota MR-2 Supercharged
Honda Integra Type R DC5
Mitsubishi Eclipse Gen 2
Mitsubishi FTO
BMW M5 E60
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Ford Mustang S197
Chevrolet Corvette C5

Just look at the pattern of updates released so far and you will have your answer. Typically a content update only brings one or two cars that can be considered “obvious” fan favourites. PD clearly doesn’t want to throw all the anticipated eggs into one basket. It’s frustrating but I guess they want to spread the hype over several updates. Over the past year we have only received a handful of very popular cars, so it’s clearly a gradual process.

Yet you left some cars out. Personal bias.

Not sure about that, it is exciting and different, but i think the novelty for a lot of people will wear off. I'm perhaps a little biased, but I'd love the FTO to return. But I have no problem with the ambulance being included even if I'd prefer the FTO myself. Theres always someone who would prefer something else.

B80
M5, rs6, new m3/4, m3 tourer etc... I could go on.
The M3 Touring would be something new (wagon), but the rest of them would probably not get a lot of hype. Anyway, the M3 Touring hasn’t been featured in previous games as far as I’m aware so it’s kind of out of the scope for this thread.
B80
Tbh I get the 'quirky' aspect some roll with, and there's an argument for something (anything?) other than another mx5, gtr, imprezza etc but ambulance just seems too weird for my liking.
Sure, but I still bet more people are more excited about the ambulance than they would be for a BMW M5. And if the goal is to please as many as possible, then…
B80
Outside of scape enthusiasts or some weird role playing I don't see an ambulance clocking mileage in game anywhere near the amount a decent performance car woukd get for most players.
Most cars in my garage I have driven exactly 0 kilometres. The ambulance is guaranteed to get at least a few. I’m sure most players would at least test it once. I imagine it could even be quite popular in free run lobbies.
B80
Sort of thing youd drive for a laugh in GTA or similar, but holds zero appeal to me. But each to their own.
Perhaps i need to expand my sense of humour, but it just seems puerile and out of place in GT7. 'Haha look how much fun it is engine swapping and ambulance snd driving it at 200mph beating supercars. Can't wait till they release an ice cream van or fire engine in a few months...'. :D
You are perfectly free to have your own opinion about the ambulance, there is no need to like everything they add to the game. As for the fire engine, that would likely be even more hyped than the ambulance, due to the sheer size of it.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer an LFA to an ambulance but at this point, to me, it's not a matter of what cars we get with each update. The game has obviously problems with the single player structure, multiplayer features, in-game economy balance, AI and so on, but we already talked about this one million times. So even if they add 30 great cars and 10 new circuits in one big update it won't make the game better, just bigger. GT7 doesn't really lack content, it's just badly used. To me this update it's not better or worse than previous updates because it doesn't change anything (just like almost every other update received so far).

NB Mazda MX-5 - 1
NC Mazda MX-5 - 1
Mitsubishi Evo 9 - 3
Nissan Skyline R31 GTS-R - 3
Toyota MR-2/MR-S -1
Toyota MR-2 Supercharged - 1
Toyota Celica Gen 1, 4, 5 and 7 - 3
Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS300 - 1
Subaru Impreza WRX STi Gen 3 - 3
VW Golf GTi MK4, MK5 and MK6 - 2
Honda Civic EP Type R and EG6 - 3
Honda Integra Type R DC5 - 3
Mitsubishi Eclipse Gen 2 - 1
Mitsubishi FTO - 1
BMW M5 E60 - 3
Dodge Challenger SRT8 - 1
Ford Mustang S197 - 2
Chevrolet Camaro SS Gen 4 - 1
Chevrolet Corvette C5 - 1

On a 1-5 scale.

With 1 being no interest, and 5 very enthusiastic.

I would rather PD add "Iconic" GT cars before they add the listed vehicles, as seen in the August guessing update thread for example quite a few people including myself was looking forward to the GT-ONE, a car that i'm sure would have a almost 100% positive reception.

GT7's marketing played heavily into the "Nostalgia" of previous GT's so it's abit confusing as to why they did not include that one, not to say it won't come at some point via DLC which I personally believe it will though I have no proof of this as it's just a calculated guess going by previous updates.

They even added cars like the Escudo Which again received very good reception upon release and the R30 Silhouette, one that I personally wouldn't call iconic as it wasn't really all that good of a car in GT2 and was honestly pretty 'mid' but that one hasn't been seen in GT since GT2.

I would rather PD add "Iconic" GT cars before they add the listed vehicles, as seen in the August guessing update thread for example quite a few people including myself was looking forward to the GT-ONE, a car that i'm sure would have a almost 100% positive reception.
While they would no doubt also be popular, there would also be plenty of people asking for new cars we haven't seen before. Which comes down to the fact you can't please everyone.

I've said before and I'll say it again, for all of GT7's faults (and I think the game has many), the car list is fine. It's varied and it caters to a wide variety of preferences. How they're used int he game is a different matter.

Last edited:
Back