GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
Indeed. I'd much rather a small map with lots to do than a big map where I have to drive for fifteen minutes before I see anything worth stopping for.

San Andreas's map did have a huge chunk of land (Red County) between Los Santos and Las Venturas that was hardly used in the main story, which was just wasted space IMO.

That does seem to be a feature of GTA games though. They go to the trouble of designing and beautifully rendering an area, then not have any story missions that venture there.

San Andreas's map did have a huge chunk of land (Red County) between Los Santos and Las Venturas that was hardly used in the main story, which was just wasted space IMO.
True, but it was good for some early exploration and chases. And the Catalina missions were in townships. And there were a couple of races there, too. It's where you met Woozie for the first time.

Plus, there was stuff there. There were towns and forests and all sorts of stuff to drive through. So at least it was interesting enough to pull over on occasion.

You can't expect them to use absolutely every little bit of land. As it happens, I enjoyed the feel of driving through the countryside, listening to the radio and seeing the sights. It was a very nice change of pace from the big cities.

It may be, but as prisonermonkeys pointed out, it's a pretty good chase and roaming location. But I think the only real purpose in that area is for the story.

By the way, very good trailer. Will keep us constantly speculated for a while.

True, but it was good for some early exploration and chases. And the Catalina missions were in townships. And there were a couple of races there, too. It's where you met Woozie for the first time.

Plus, there was stuff there. There were towns and forests and all sorts of stuff to drive through. So at least it was interesting enough to pull over on occasion.

You can't expect them to use absolutely every little bit of land. As it happens, I enjoyed the feel of driving through the countryside, listening to the radio and seeing the sights. It was a very nice change of pace from the big cities.

It may be, but as prisonermonkeys pointed out, it's a pretty good chase and roaming location. But I think the only real purpose in that area is for the story.

Don't get me wrong, i love the fact that they go to that level of detail for the stuff that's not very relevant. I just think they could make better use of the space.

Take RDR. It had a lot of barren wilderness in it, but i must have explored every inch of it searching for illusive herbs or wild animals.

Don't get me wrong, i love the fact that they go to that level of detail for the stuff that's not very relevant. I just think they could make better use of the space.

Take RDR. It had a lot of barren wilderness in it, but i must have explored every inch of it searching for illusive herbs or wild animals.

One of the issues I had with GTA IV was all the beautiful skyscrapers, businesses, advertisements with a complete lack of interaction. You couldnt walk into a shop or somebody's home for that matter.

Even PS2 San Andreas had home invasions, shops & things to explore. But the weak spot of the series definitely was & still is lack of indoor areas.

13 square miles or whatever is only as good as the number of places you can explore. If LA has 500,000 buildings you should be able to interact with several thousand of them. :sly: I know its daunting for developers but......:)

One of the issues I had with GTA IV was all the beautiful skyscrapers, businesses, advertisements with a complete lack of interaction. You couldnt walk into a shop or somebody's home for that matter.

Even PS2 San Andreas had home invasions, shops & things to explore. But the weak spot of the series definitely was & still is lack of indoor areas.
I doubt they squeezed every inch out of the PS3 or Xbox with GTA IV, in my opinion one of my least favourite PS2/3 GTA's

I'm thinking (hoping) they've put more time and effort in this one to add those details like home invasions, ... :)

@homeforsummer: there's a new thread featuring this video ;)

It's telling that a couple of the pieces of "leaked test footage" I've seen aren't in Los Santos itself. There was one taken in the countryside and the one above doesn't look anything like Los Santos.

Which makes me guess it's just footage from other games that someone has slapped on text to make it look like footage from Rockstar testing.

Might seem boring, but I loved riding up there on a sanchez, jumping off the mountain on the sanchez, before jumping off the bike and opening the parachute... Although sometimes I would stay on the bike and try and land the jump.

Please not Los Santos (LA), at least not alone. I already found it boring that they used NYC for GTA IV.
The reason why it was boring was because it was all city. SAN ANDREAS was better becuse you had rural areas in addition to the cities.

There was this one scene on the trailer that showed a wind farm, overlooking a small valley. That's one implication that the map could extend to a countryside.

The reason why it was boring was because it was all city. SAN ANDREAS was better becuse you had rural areas in addition to the cities.

Agreed. San Andreas taught us (me, at least) that places to go off roading give a nice break from city streets. It'd be great to see Mount Chilliad again.

I imagine Rockstar is pouring all the resources and time into GTA V, but a PS2 classic release of SA would be swell for those people with non-backward compatible systems, just to reminisce a bit.

Agreed. San Andreas taught us (me, at least) that places to go off roading give a nice break from city streets. It'd be great to see Mount Chilliad again.
I liked bombing around Red and Flint Counties myself. Especially the twisty road that started behind the Avispa Country Club, ran between Easter Bay Chemicals and Mount Chiliad (separated by the river), looped up over the Easter Tunnel, past The Farm and down the to the RS Haul. The whoel thing felt like a rally stage. Especially in the Banshee.

I liked bombing around Red and Flint Counties myself. Especially the twisty road that started behind the Avispa Country Club, ran between Easter Bay Chemicals and Mount Chiliad (separated by the river), looped up over the Easter Tunnel, past The Farm and down the to the RS Haul. The whoel thing felt like a rally stage. Especially in the Banshee.

I loved it too, but in Sultan rather than Banshee I think. It would be great fun if they just used car physics from GTA IV. That was one of the few things I disliked about GTA IV - the lack of gravel roads. The best (if not the only one) was the one along beach to the airport.

Well, the Banshee was the car that I kept finding the most. It's modelled on a TVR and a Viper, so I went out of my way to find it whenever I could.

I imagine Rockstar is pouring all the resources and time into GTA V, but a PS2 classic release of SA would be swell for those people with non-backward compatible systems, just to reminisce a bit.

I'd like them to sell a remastered version of SA in the PS store, and if not, then at least V will be something to remember SA by. SA was the first Grand Theft Auto I ever played and by far the best. I really hope it brings back memories.

Interesting comparison of GTA IV and GTA V trailer:

Don´t know, but to me it looks like the GTA IV is on computer and set to the lowest graphic settings. But the improvement still seems great.

Last edited:
It will have an airport noone stress it shows like 15 planes

No one is debating the fact that it will have an airport. The point being raised is that it might seem a little pointless unless there is more than one airport.

Latest Posts

Back