hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,009 comments
Pro Street builds that actually get used for racing are cool. The fact that 99% of cars built in the Pro Street theme don't because they are poser cars really buzzkills like nothing else. Normally, I hate it even more on trucks and SUVs, but this Blazer that started as an S10 pulls it off fairly well. Then again, the fact that has the nose in the air helps it look cooler.

18tgrr2l2xw7ojpg.jpg

The only guy that I won't bash for using the Pro Street style for a truck that is merely a cruiser is Ken Callison for owning this F-100. I see it all the time in the summer, and sadly, I don't have any actual pictures of it myself. The one primary reason that I won't fault him beyond all else is that he owns ididit (the steering column company) and he gave my dad a free column for his Jeep since they used it as their development mule for their Jeep CJ line. The second reason is that I actually like the truck. I think that this picture here was from a Hot Rod Magazine photoshoot that they had with the truck.
0602cct_kens_01_z.jpg

I edited my post. The cars you posted are like proper lifted offroading trucks compared to the bro-trucks which are the cars with idiotic tires and a rear end five feet in the air.

So to change my stance, Pro-Street cars are sweet, the poser ones aren't.

All Pro Street cars are awesome. It's just, to what extent the owner goes with their mods. Some of them look horrid, but if it gets the job done, so be it.

Photoshop. And a baaad one at that. But the rest of the cars in your post are absolutely ace.

Also, I'll say it. You people are aaaaaaaall over the place spewaking (yes, spewaking) Pro Street when in fact none of you seem capable to point out what makes a pro-streeter a pro-streeter.

It's really simple, but complicated at the same time. I'll go on a self-permitted history lesson here so screw you if you don't read it. Jacked-up cars like the ones Slash have posted are not pro street cars, they're simply late 70s-early 80s street machines/street freaks. For a car to be a pro streeter, it has to have the rear fenders tubbed so the enormous rubber will be tucked inside the fenders. It's like the requisite characteristic of real pro-street.
From there you can very much play a bit with the genre. There were cars with full tube chassis and custom 4-link rear ends, others that simply moved the leaf springs inwards to acomodate the huge meats, there were show cars with 500+ inch big blocks with two turbos, two superchargers and nitrous that could only sputter up and down the trailers, cars with the same engine combos that could actually neegotiate the streets but couldn't make a 15-second pass, and there was also a handful of serious cars that got the pro-street treatment because they truly needed serious, wall-to-wall rubber for big traction towards 8-second passes.
Of course, I'm talking about back in the day, in the 80s and early 90s, when Pro-Street was king but was also utterly stupid and non-functional, because back in the day the technology to really apply the pro-street ethos simply didn't exist, so it was all just for the looks. Eventually, people got tired of the absurdity of it all and the hobby moved on to the next big thing (pro-touring). Still, street drag racing never died, and technology marched on. Today? Ask Larry Larson or Jeff Lutz or any of the guys that run those Unlimited things at Drag Week. All the components of Pro Street are there: tubbed fenders, custom chassis, ludicrous engines. But technology and electronics have made it possible to actually have an enormously powerful car capable of truly negotiating streets and make mind-bendingly fast passes.

The Charger Daytonas and the Superbird. the greatest clash between two great legendary cars with those huge wings.

And I love them.

and the Challenger Daytona. I admit is not that great but still

IMG_20141122_112549.jpg

Cammed 239, with a bunch of edelbrock parts (can't remember exactly which ones he said), dynatech exhaust with electric cutouts, and some interior work. He hit the cutouts for me and let it idle (was awesome), we talked a bit, and then I asked him if I could take a picture, he said sure.

70_Chevelle_SS396.jpg

Chevy-Nova-SS.jpg

133204_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

19ckscqbdtx41jpg.jpg

1968_chevrolet_corvettel88.jpg

1707px-Chevrolet_Camaro_RS_327_1968.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the fastback IIs but that's a helluva deal to go that fast. Helps that is weighs about 2200lbs with all that stuff stripped though.

Yeah, compared to a car that's a full interior street car. :lol: That SN wound up winning one of the No Prep classes recently in Oklahoma in its new configuration (SBC with 2 stages of nitrous). The irony is that BoostedGT won the whole show with his new SN at the same event.

There's a full interior street car fastback that's got a VERY similar build and it's pretty much 2 seconds slower.

That car has always been feared regardless of the engine and trans in it. That car would make mincemeat out of a ton of cars here. I'd snag it if I could because I sure as hell won't be able to build an 8 second car from scratch with $18,000. If I could, it would be with second hand parts that I'd probably be given.

Back